User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-21-2012, 07:37 PM   #1
fullmetalscooter OP
Let me take this duck off

Oddometer: 2,399
Whine , whine , 120 flat no repartable tire 1.4 hours from

120 bucks tow for non fixable so let me Whine , whine , whine , Oh your not my pycitirst sorry I Even he tell me to shut up and if I keep talking he is raising his rate, 10 bucks per word. I have to say getting tow is mega bucks even the cheapest where I live is 130 bucks for 1.4 hours of there time. Some tow companies wanted 75 bucks an hour and the fee starts from where ever the driver happens to be. Others wanted 3 bucks A K. or 6 something a miles plus the tow fee. Why didn't I get a shop to replace the tire and pick it up? I was thinking that would open a can of worms that I don't wanted to deal with. A shop that say it's also going to do this or that to my helix. Anyway. Whine, cry , yell infectiously and pull my cash out anyway. I m guessing this is just another pointless posting by me. LOL
Old 08-21-2012, 07:49 PM   #2
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,342
It might be worth it to get a towing service. I used to pay $35 per year for a towing service from MTS. Now it's free with my AMA membership. I don't know if either of these is available in Canada.

klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 01:20 AM   #3
fullmetalscooter OP
Let me take this duck off

Oddometer: 2,399
Quote:
Originally Posted by klaviator View Post
It might be worth it to get a towing service. I used to pay $35 per year for a towing service from MTS. Now it's free with my AMA membership. I don't know if either of these is available in Canada.
What does MTS stand for ?? is it the below MTS towing .com ?

So far I ve see http://www.goodsamers.com/auto/ at 80 bucks a year
https://www.mts-towing.com/join.asp for 50 to 80 buck plans along with 1/2 half off plan from apirl to sept.
http://hrca.honda.com/ is about the same for honda roadside assistance plan if you buy a membership
AAA is 120 bucks but at least once I waited 3 hours for them to get someone to me and 1 hours on the phone.

Any other towing insurance plans that don 't mean buying motorycle insurance at the same time.
Old 08-22-2012, 05:49 AM   #4
bbishoppcm
It ain't a moped.

Oddometer: 666
Well, I was just in your shoes... less than 1/4th a mile from my house... I said "screw it," and drove it home... here's what it ended up costing me, due to my own negligence.

First, the stuff it needed due to having a flat tire;

-Tire ($65 +$40 to mount... since I bought the tire online...)
-Exhaust gaskets ($18)

Now the stuff that was DESTROYED due to me driving it on a flat tire for less than a quarter of a mile (actually, it may have even been less than that... really, I could see my house from where the tire blew out!!)

-Front drive pulley; stripped the splines clean off from all the stress and heat ($22)
-Clutch bell, was only a few thousand miles old at the time and from all the stress, turned a nice shade of indigo; now it shudders on acceleration again ($80)

Moral of the story? It sucks to be me too.
bbishoppcm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 03:35 PM   #5
InlineSkate
Adventurer

Oddometer: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbishoppcm View Post
Well, I was just in your shoes... less than 1/4th a mile from my house... I said "screw it," and drove it home... here's what it ended up costing me, due to my own negligence.

First, the stuff it needed due to having a flat tire;

-Tire ($65 +$40 to mount... since I bought the tire online...)
-Exhaust gaskets ($18)

Now the stuff that was DESTROYED due to me driving it on a flat tire for less than a quarter of a mile (actually, it may have even been less than that... really, I could see my house from where the tire blew out!!)

-Front drive pulley; stripped the splines clean off from all the stress and heat ($22)
-Clutch bell, was only a few thousand miles old at the time and from all the stress, turned a nice shade of indigo; now it shudders on acceleration again ($80)

Moral of the story? It sucks to be me too.
Less than a quarter mile why didn't you just roll it home?
InlineSkate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 04:24 PM   #6
bbishoppcm
It ain't a moped.

Oddometer: 666
It's all uphill. I'd have to push it up a long, windy, uphill driveway, across a parking lot, down into the backyard (downhill), then back up the yard (which is fairly steep), and onto my deck.
bbishoppcm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 05:20 PM   #7
btcn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,880
That sucks! $120 is a lot of money! Seriously! I was just thinking maybe they's charging you for gas, but I mean 1.4 hours is only what, about 60 miles or so? So 120 miles roundtrip, which means only about $32 if there truck averages about 15 MPG. So they making about $80 for the tow. Thats a little high! I got a 100 miles free towing with AAA.

You should try and keep a can of fix a flat with you. It works a lot of times, BUT of course not always. But if you don't, I can't blame you. I know I should with my motorcycle, but I don't have saddle bags right now and I don't want to bring a backpack on long rides. In some cases I'll have to though if I go to isolated areas out in the valley on account I has to bring water, cause there ain't no phone reception for long distances in lots of places out there.
Old 08-22-2012, 09:35 PM   #8
Forde
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 639
gas isnt the only overhead

truck payment, insurance, maintenance, taxes etc etc all come out of the 80
Old 08-26-2012, 06:04 AM   #9
Starbuck21
Manly scooterist!

Oddometer: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by klaviator View Post
Absolutely! I have a Riders of Kawasaki membership that provides towing and a AAA+ membership that will do it also; I am old and pushing a 550 lb scoot is not for ME!!!
1974 CT90's (2)

Starbuck21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 09:58 AM   #10
hugemoth
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,540
One great advantage to the old Vespas is the spare tire that could be changed in 5 minutes.
hugemoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 11:39 AM   #11
Tacoma
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 233
those small diameter cheap single ply tires made in China are prone to flats where the large diameter, high tech racing radial real motorcycle tires used on real mega scooters like my Tmax resist flats, and if by accident I do get a flat tire I have enough brains to carry a bottle of slime or a can of fix-a-flat with me

have any of you guys ever look at the load rating of your scooter?
what happens when the tires can't handle the weight?
I have seen a lot of overweight fatties riding little scooters
Tacoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 11:51 AM   #12
hexnut
just cruising

Oddometer: 1,259
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoma View Post
those small diameter cheap single ply tires made in China are prone to flats where the large diameter, high tech racing radial real motorcycle tires used on real mega scooters like my Tmax resist flats, and if by accident I do get a flat tire I have enough brains to carry a bottle of slime or a can of fix-a-flat with me

have any of you guys ever look at the load rating of your scooter?
what happens when the tires can't handle the weight?
I have seen a lot of overweight fatties riding little scooters
Why must you always be a jerk???

hexnuts...a curse put on your balls by a mean gypsy
3/5 Cav, C Troop, BlackKnights, Vietnam 1969
hexnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 11:53 AM   #13
Tacoma
Gnarly Adventurer

nobody here likes me, so why should I be nice?
Old 08-26-2012, 11:55 AM   #14
hexnut
just cruising

Oddometer: 1,259
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoma View Post
nobody here likes me, so why should I be nice?
From how you go on, no body any where likes you.

hexnuts...a curse put on your balls by a mean gypsy
3/5 Cav, C Troop, BlackKnights, Vietnam 1969
hexnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 11:55 AM   #15
Tacoma
Gnarly Adventurer

as long as the tire is in good shape a can o fix-a-flat will seal any tire