Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-26-2012, 01:20 PM   #16
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,286
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoma View Post
as long as the tire is in good shape a can o fix-a-flat will seal any tire
If it's in good shape, it shouldn't be flat.

klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 02:44 PM   #17
Lotuscat
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
My tire was in great shape, but it still went flat.

Picked up a nail. The dealership refused to patch it, and my online tire vendor of choice is out of my size, so I decided to try Dynaplug.

It took two plugs, but it's been holding air now for over a week. I'm crossing my fingers and carrying a can of Slime Quick Spair until I can get a new tire.
Old 08-28-2012, 12:34 AM   #18
fullmetalscooter OP
Let me take this duck off

Oddometer: 2,382
Fix a flat , slmie is a great way to end up pay more cash to repair a flat. It coats the inside of tire and is hell to remove . Makes the glue not set up right. They work but why bother adding to the trouble.
Old 08-28-2012, 07:22 AM   #19
Lotuscat
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
I'm well aware that aerosol tire fixes are cheesy and messy, but it's cheaper than a tow truck. Slime claims their products clean up easily with water. I wouldn't know - I've never used it. What is this "glue" you speak of? I used to mount motorcycle tires back in the day, and I've never heard of using glue.
Old 08-29-2012, 11:54 PM   #20
fullmetalscooter OP
Let me take this duck off

Oddometer: 2,382
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotuscat View Post
I'm well aware that aerosol tire fixes are cheesy and messy, but it's cheaper than a tow truck. Slime claims their products clean up easily with water. I wouldn't know - I've never used it. What is this "glue" you speak of? I used to mount motorcycle tires back in the day, and I've never heard of using glue.
You use rubber cement , glue to put ether a patch on or a some of the stringy things in the whole.
Old 08-30-2012, 02:17 AM   #21
Tacoma
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 233
the can of "Fix-A-Flat" also has the air pressure to fill up the tire with air while sealing the flat at the same time,,,, its a temporary repair just enough to get home or take it to a place to remove and repair the tire with a patch.
a lot of new cars don't come with spare tires anymore, they just supply a can of "Fix-A-Flat",, if a can has the volume to blow up and seal a much bigger car tire then it has more than enough to seal a smaller motorcycle-scooter tire.
always get the bigger cans with the hose and just carry it with you when you go riding.
Not long ago I ran into a guy with a flat tire on his ATV and gave him my can of "Fix-A-Flat" and it worked perfect, its a much bigger tire and he only used half the can gave it back to me but I know that half of can wasn't reusable, cause once you start it the nozzle cloggs up and you just throw it away and buy a new can.
I never got a flat tire myself but I carry a can just in case!

i also carry a small tool kit, bottled water, 2 rain coats , rubber gloves, a 50' piece of rope, small first aid kit and a small bottle of window cleaner and clean rags.

(don't ask me why I need the 50 foot rope for..... it's illegal! )
Tacoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 02:26 AM   #22
Tacoma
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 233
fullmetalscooter? if i do get a flat tire on my scooter I figured that tire is ruined, or i wouldn't feel secure riding on a "repaired" tire,,,,, so I would buy a new tire,,,, the can of "Fix-A-Flat" was just a temporary repair just to get me home.
Tacoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 07:55 AM   #23
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,286
Quote:

Picked up a nail. The dealership refused to patch it, and my online tire vendor of choice is out of my size, so I decided to try Dynaplug.

It took two plugs, but it's been holding air now for over a week. I'm crossing my fingers and carrying a can of Slime Quick Spair until I can get a new tire.
A tire with a hole in it is by definition not in great shape since it won't hold air.

I always carry a tire plug kit with me. I prefer the sticky strings over plug inserts, however I am not familiar with the Dynaplug kit. Long ago, before this time when no one will plug a tire because of legal concerns, I was going on a ride on my Yamaha venture and noticed a nail in the rear tire. It wasn't flat so I rode to a gas station and asked them top plug it. They used a sticky string just like they would a car tire. You know this had to be a long time ago......a gas station that fixed cars

I ended up putting around 14,000 miles on the tire that had been plugged. I probably wouldn't ride it that long today.

One thing I have read is that over time, the tire's flexing can cut a plug in half and spit it out.

There was a thread on tire repair somewhere in ADV some time back. The majority prefered the stick strings over plugs and no one recommended the fix a flat due to the mess it makes and some claimed it damaged the tire and caused corrosion on the wheels. I don't have any personal knowledge of this last statement.

Plugging a MC/Scooter tire is supposed to be temporary but a number of people posted that used it as a permanent repair until the tire wore out.

klaviator screwed with this post 08-30-2012 at 08:01 AM
klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 07:03 PM   #24
CaseyJones
Ridin' that train

Oddometer: 742
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoma View Post
as long as the tire is in good shape a can o fix-a-flat will seal any tire
Yah? How about a tubeless-tire flat where the bead is off the rim?
CaseyJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 07:09 PM   #25
CaseyJones
Ridin' that train

Oddometer: 742
Here's a little something I recommend...two wheels AND four.

A small air compressor. Slime markets a mini-compressor that'll fit anywhere on a cycle or scoot...cigarette-lighter socket plug-in. On my Burgman, there's a power jack in the mini-glove box. On my other scoots, I've wired up a socket to the battery, with an in-line fuse. Use it for GPS, and for road emergencies.

It won't fix the flat, obviously. What it WILL do is PUMP IT UP, to where you can get off the road, to a garage, town, or home. You have a tire leaking down....plug in the pump and air it up. And stop in fifteen minutes and repeat.

Tedious? As hell, sure. Is the fifteen bucks for this compressor better than a tow or a ruined tire, or standing out in the cold all night trying to hitchhike into town, hoping not to get robbed?

You decide.

As for the actual Slime, or Fux-A-Flat...never used it. I know shops charge additional to fix a tire "fixed" by those can-cures. I'd rather just keep re-inflating until I'm someplace I can park.
CaseyJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 07:01 PM   #26
Moparmanpete
Support all riders

Oddometer: 294
Cool2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyJones View Post

As for the actual Slime, or Fux-A-Flat...never used it. I know shops charge additional to fix a tire "fixed" by those can-cures.
Yes I do, HAZARDOUS WASTE DISPOSAL aka Idiot tax J/K it's just a clean up fee of $2.00

Now I'm not saying everyone who uses it are idiots, just those that don't read the damn bottle or can......Now we all make mistakes but damn

If the first bottle/can didn't work WHY TWO MORE!!

WILL NOT WORK ON THE FOLLOWING

Tubeless side wall punctures- the area extending from the edge of the tread to the bead. It will not contact this area while rolling (laying the damn bike on it's side will not help ) (Most plugs will not hold and genreally make the hole bigger.)

Tubeless Rim to bead leaks -mostly due to corrosion ^ same applies

Any hole larger than 1/4 inch (think regular ink pen) (Multiple plugs here may allow you to limp home key word is "LIMP")

For tubeless
Just carry some plugs (what ever you fancy) some rubber contact cement and a Bicycle hand pump, small and compact. no electricity or co2 cartriges to deal with. (before you say "those pumps are too small" they will work)

For Tubetype
Try the slime if the shoe fits (if the hole is in the tread area and small enough) but replace the tube asap

OR

Just carry a damn spare tube and know how to change it!

Atleast inform the guy changing the tire what you put in it please.
Might keep him in a good mood and save yourself some money.

Pete
87 XL600R "The Cracken" deceased till further notice
Moparmanpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 03:48 PM   #27
thunderkat59
Cooter on a scooter

Oddometer: 1,188
Quote:

I've used these before on car and bikes. No issues ever
thunderkat59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 04:31 PM   #28
pennswoodsed
lizards,bugs and me

Oddometer: 667
fix a flat and safety

In the olden times ,when I fixed tires or directed tire repairs the solvent was ammonia based and the propellant was propane , many tire guys were hurt . It became policy to ask if it had been used and to assume it had if unknown.Plugging is now an acceptable method but needs some practice and effort to do well.
Coated strings seem to work most often ,95 %
pennswoodsed is offline   Reply With Quote