Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-22-2012, 03:05 AM   #1
GP1152 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 448
Me, a blonde, 2 Ducati's....3,000 miles (and then some)

As the title implies, this is a ride report of our current trip. (You'll be familiar with the people and the bikes soon enough.)

So....If you believe in omens or that things happen for a reason then you'd probably think we should have turned around and gone back home by now. Instead, we're trudging along on our 15 day, 3,000 mile round-trip from the SF Bay Area to Victoria, Canada. I'll explain....
As you can imagine, a lot of planning goes into a trip like this. Some of you may have seen the thread by "antihero" on here, in which he's going coast to coast on a Ducati Panigale. He's able to just GO without much planning. This of course would be great, but unfortunately, we have a limited timeframe of 15 days and in order to get the most from the trip, some planning was needed.
Two days ago, after all the planning and necessities purchased, it was time to head off.
Our first stop would be Mendocino, a small coastal town along the California coast. Although we've been there a few times I figured it would be good to ease into the trip by starting in familiar territory. You know, work out any kinks, make sure all the gear is working correctly etc. we weren't going to be leaving at the butt-crack of dawn or anything since we likely would have just gotten traffic going there.

We were pretty much packed the night before and spent the morning taking care of the things one takes care of when leaving for 15 days. So with all that taken care of, and with the bikes all packed up and ready to go, we shoved off. First stop, the gas station. Simple enough. Once there, it's the same ritual; gloves off, credit card in slot, etc. this time though I see Stephanie trying to get her gas cap open. I go on over and sure enough, the gas cap won't open. Can you imagine?? After all the planning, all the waiting, it all comes down to a few pins in a cylinder. This isn't the start we were looking for. I should mention that last week Stephanie, my significant other, decided to play mechanic when her kickstand sensor appeared to be having issues and "accidentally" unplugged the throttle control sensor instead of the kickstand sensor. This meant a trip to the dealer where, after several calls to and from Ducati North America, they were finally able to get the throttle control sensor reset.
So since this current issue is happening on a Monday, EVERY Ducati dealer and repair shop within reach is closed. We decide to go back home and try the spare key (yeah I know that's not going to work, but it buys me some time, ok??). We get home and of course the key doesn't work. I would've had more luck throwing the damn key at the lock than it actually working in the cylinder. Then hit me.....I once had a similar issue with my MV. It had a finicky ignition key and the tech told me the pins sometimes get locked up and they just need to be lubricated. THIS I can handle!! I grabbed a can of WD-40 and DROWNED the cylinder with the stuff. Tried the key and it worked. Needless to say we were both relieved.

Now we were ready to go. We rarely take the highway on these trips but we took 101 to 128, by Cloverdale. Traffic was light getting there We stopped for gas and since we hadn't had lunch we stopped for a burger at the Hamburger Ranch & BBQ. I'm a healthy eater, but they have awesome, good old fashioned NON lean meat hamburgers and like to stop here in our way through. And besides, We're on vacation.

I like this place. The waitress there is awesome and it just reminds me of the type of BBQ places one went to as a kid. Of note was when I thought Stephanie asked for a box to-go for her food, to which I replied asking if she was crazy, that since she packed so tight she couldn't fit even the FORK she would need!! (edited this. Remembered it wasn't a cup she asked for, it was a box)

Another place we've stopped at before is at Gowans Oak Tree. They have home-made apple cider so we stopped for some

It had been sunny and hot all the way through (93 at one point). Getting to the coast though was another story. The temperature dropped down to 55 and not helping the situation, the fog had also rolled in. At least there was no traffic.

Mendocino was quiet. We got our room key and got ready for dinner. We stay at the Blue Heron Inn. Awesome place with a fantastic owner. Highly recommend it.
Dinner at the restaurant downstairs was awesome as usual. Now it was time to get to bed. Tomorrow would be another day.....more to follow. The next day would hopefully be a cleansing of anything more that might go wrong. Let's just say that it involves these two images:

RIDE REPORT: Me, a blonde, 2 Ducati's.....3,000 miles
CURRENT RIDE REPORT: Part 2: Me, a blonde, 2 Ducati's.....4,000 miles

GP1152 screwed with this post 09-07-2012 at 04:49 PM
GP1152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 04:55 AM   #2
bobw
Harden the phuck up

Oddometer: 846
Sounds like a fun get away, hope the niggles remain fixable and you enjoy safe travels,
bobw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 06:06 AM   #3
Skrow
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 210
Busted iPhone and the a/c isn't working? Or won't turn off, hence the sweatshirt?

Thanks for the tumbler tip though. Nice pics too!

OH, and where is the pic of the blonde?

Skrow screwed with this post 08-22-2012 at 06:07 AM Reason: Where's the blonde?
Skrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 06:23 AM   #4
gueroaero
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Subscribed. Looking forward to your adventure :)
gueroaero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 06:37 AM   #5
NitroRoo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 352
I feel your pain. Nothing worse than being on empty at a gas station and you can't open your freakin gas tank!

Old 08-22-2012, 08:15 AM   #6
Manuel1200
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by GP1152 View Post

]
Your garage is cleaner than my bedroom

Subscribed!
Manuel1200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 08:55 AM   #7
GP1152 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skrow View Post
Busted iPhone and the a/c isn't working? Or won't turn off, hence the sweatshirt?

Thanks for the tumbler tip though. Nice pics too!

OH, and where is the pic of the blonde?
lol, that's not me in the picture (with the sweatshirt).

update coming soon.....

Old 08-22-2012, 09:03 AM   #8
GP1152 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuel1200 View Post
Your garage is cleaner than my bedroom

Subscribed!
Haha, yeah trust me I get enough grief about that from my neighbors ;)

GP1152 screwed with this post 09-07-2012 at 12:42 PM
Old 08-22-2012, 09:05 AM   #9
GP1152 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroRoo View Post
I feel your pain. Nothing worse than being on empty at a gas station and you can't open your freakin gas tank!

Scary pic. And EXACTLY what I was scared might have to happen. We had hotel nights booked in spots already and that would have put a serious damper on things.

Old 08-22-2012, 11:06 AM   #10
Hair
Outside the boxer

Oddometer: 13,353

I did that to mine a couple of months ago. You can search online for companies that repair them. I was able to get mine all fixed up for under a 100.
Old 08-22-2012, 03:01 PM   #11
vintagespeed
fNg

Oddometer: 1,548
awesome! in!

TAT-2013: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=913898
SoCal_NoDak-2012: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=829203
vintagespeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 03:12 PM   #12
Ben Carufel
Boxer Addict

Oddometer: 603
I'm in! I just did 3 days down from SF along Highway 1 on a sportbike last week. I can relate to the pain you're going to feel in your wrists. It's worth it!
Ben Carufel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 01:44 AM   #13
GP1152 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

This should answer some of the questions:

Day 2 - Mendocino
The day started simple enough. We woke up early in hopes of getting an early start. I had mapped things out so we'd have breakfast somewhere along the way. With bags all ready, we mounted them up and started the bikes. And that's where the fun began. As Stephanie was getting her helmet and gloves on I started her bike for her. Nothing. I look at the dash and it reads "0000 PRO". Through my amazing powers of deduction I figured this was something that WD-40 wouldn't fix. I took the key out and tried it again and again, nothing. Same error code. Not good. Times like these are when you realize just how great these forums are. We looked it up and found the fix. Apparently I had moved one of the other switches enough to where, when having that depressed and starting the bike at the same time out it in a programming mode. Finally the display read as normal and the bike started. I start to walk towards my SF and I hear something fall behind me. My phone (see previous pic of severed iPhone). Stephanie picks it up and as I walk towards her she's waving me off saying "don't even look!!". The phone as you saw was toast. It still worked, but there were shards of glass coming off the screen. Honestly though I figured, f#% it!! I'm not going to let that ruin my trip. But at the same time I was thinking, "wtf??". Then, as if out of a dream and not 30 seconds after I started my SF, this lady comes out of her house that is maybe 3 doors down from the Inn where we're staying. With a straight face (and apparently the balls to match) she says that my motorcycle woke her up (she actually said it woke "everybody up") and wondered if I could shut it off. I stopped and looked around. I swear I thought I was in another dimension....."you mean to tell me, you woke up, got dressed and came over here THAT fast???". Look, I'm as nice a guy as anyone, but at that moment it didn't matter that my iPhone screen had just shattered into a million pieces. Had it not, there's a high probability that the screen might have somehow been smashed when it flew at this yo-yo's head anyway. I figure I did her a favor. It's a weekday at 10:00 AM. She should be up doing something productive anyway!!

We had to stop for gas in Fort Brag and from there we started calling around to see if there was an iPhone repair shop or person along the way. We found a few but all had voicemail. We left messages hand headed out.
I forgot to mention that it was a foggy morning along the coast. HWY1 winds down through some wooded areas a little further inland and there the weather couldn't have been better. We got a bit of construction traffic but that cleared up just in time to meet up with a group of 6 harley's that, had they been going any slower they'd be going backwards. We eventually were able to pass them and got some really good riding in.

Our first stop was in Garberville, about 75 miles or so from Mendocino. The events of the morning had made it so that we were now having lunch instead of breakfast. We stopped at the Woodrose Cafe. Great place with again, that throwback feel of an old time diner. Cash only!! I had looked the place up on yelp, it had good reviews and the place lived up to it. Seemed like all locals in there. The service was great and the waitress couldn't have been nicer. Only drawback was the older gentlemen that talked my ear off about how he lives off the grid in the woods and he's thinking of buying the place. We told the waitress about it and she laughed it off. She told another waitress walking by that this person, whose name I can't remember, said he wanted to buy the restaurant. Guess this sort of thing from him is nothing new to them because they both shared a good laugh at it.

Before we headed out I spoke to an iPhone repair tech that called us back. He said he could do it so I left off with him that I would call him when we were getting closer to his town, Arcata, which is just past Crescent City.

Back to the riding. I can honestly say that I'm happiest when Stephanie and I are out riding. When your on the bike you really think of nothing else. At least for me. I know I'm lucky to have someone like her to ride with. It obviously gives me a lot more riding than if I was with someone that wasn't into it. The riding today was no exception. Our next stop along the way was this place that we had heard of called Clendenens. It's an apple and fruit farm that has been around for 100 years. Unfortunately they were closed and wouldn't reopen for the season for at least another few weeks.

Next up...... The Avenue Of Giants. This road the parallels HWY 1 and has long sweeping roads that wind through a redwood forest. Like this:

After making our way through some more construction stops we stopped for gas again in Eureka. While we were there we checked in with the iPhone tech to let him know we were close-by. He also NOW asked me what phone I had. When I told him a 4s he said he might not have the screen for that. After a few phone calls back and forth he was able to get one. Only problem is that I had to pick it up from a friend of his along the way. I agreed and asked him to meet us at a Mexican place called "hey Juan" in Arcata so he could fix it while I grabbed some lunch. After all, the guy was charging me $125 to fix it so I was going to at least make the most of the time.

So to finalize things since its late as crap already......here are some other pics of what we saw on our way to Crescent City, which as the waiter at the restaurant we ate at told us, is home of pelican bay prison. The prison houses the worst of the worst and has roughly 3,400 inmates and 1,500 guards. The other things before I end this post is about the air conditioning. It was broken and at 12:30 that night they had to send the tech to come fix it, which he wasn't able to do. Again, hopefully getting all the kinks out early in the trip. The place we're in now has no such problems....unless you count the homeless guy downstairs that is wailing away like a crying baby. I have a sound lip of it which I'll try and post. It's actually pretty hilarious!!

Sent from my Motorcycle iPad app

GP1152 screwed with this post 09-07-2012 at 12:47 PM
Old 08-23-2012, 01:47 AM   #14
GP1152 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

GP1152 screwed with this post 08-23-2012 at 01:52 AM
Old 08-23-2012, 07:53 AM   #15
Manuel1200
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
Thank you for the RR and the pics.
Just two questions: what iPad App are you using to post text & pics? I'm looking for an easy way to do it while on the road instead of waiting until I arrive at home...
The other question is about your photo gear: which camera are you using? P&S?

Thank you for the great RR!!
Manuel1200 is offline   Reply With Quote