Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-28-2012, 09:52 PM   #46
GSF1200S
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 975
Nice report, very nice Duc's, and very nice you get to do it with your chick. Its funny- my bikes are pretty practical (Bandit 1200, DR650), but I have always had an affinity for nasty V-twins. I probably better NOT get one or your GF might be wheeling me into some emergency surgery room

Im considering going from my D90 to a D7000, but im currently holding out through the next Photokina to see if Nikon FINALLY releases a D300s replacement (D400 presumably). Hows that 17-55 f/2.8? Im considering it, a nikkor 24-70 f/2.8, or a tamaron 24-70 f/2.8 with OS for my own trip coming next year..
GSF1200S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 12:32 AM   #47
GP1152 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 448
Day 5 started with free breakfast at the hotel. It always amazes me at what a kick Stephanie gets out of a free breakfast (literally a deal breaker for her in a hotel sometimes). We were all packed and ready to go so after the free eats we loaded the bikes and were on our way. We were planning to take the Bremerton ferry across to Seattle, but decided against it since we wouldn't make the one that left around 1:30 (can't remember the exact time now). The next one would be a few hours later so we decided to drive into the city instead. This would turn out to be a mistake.
Just before crossing the Washington/Oregon border we went over the Astoria-Megler bridge.

At 4.1 miles long, it reminded me a of the 7-mile bridge down in Key West. There were a shit-ton of fisherman out on the water. Have to find out what it is they're fishing for. Some of them were near the piling along the edge of the bay. Oysters?? Clams maybe?? Speaking of which....saw this when we stopped for a short break:

one thing we both definitely noticed as soon as we drove into Washington was that the drivers instantly become assholes. One lady, as soon as Stephanie was passing her (she was going slow in e left lane), decided that THEN was a good time to speed up. She literally took it p to 95 mph to not let her in (good luck with that lady). I got next to her and shook my head left and right as if saying, wtf??? Another kid in a Hyundai elantra tried the same thing not 15 minutes later. What's with these people???
We got gas in Aberdeen and decided to find a place to eat nearby. Stephanie found a place on Yelp that looked good so I gave the address to Garmina and asked her to guide us there. What a nightmare. Not Garmina's fault this time. Unfortunately Stephanie picked the wrong place. After 20 minutes or so of driving around looking for the place in an area that was mainly residential with the exception of a school and a hospital, a guy in a ford expedition stopped to ask us if we needed help. We told him the place we were looki for and he said he didn't know it. He recommended a few places then it hit him that he knew the place we were referring to, but had completely forgotten about. I don't blame him. The place, as it turns out, is in a HOSPITAL!!! By that point I figured we were all in and decided to check it out. This upstanding citizen led us to the place which was just a few blocks away (aka, right nder our noses). Honestly, the place was no big deal. And although the sandwiches were good, eating on a small picnic table u the entrance of a hospital wasn't really my idea of "seeing it like a native", at least not a healthy one.
As it turns out though, the meal wouldn't be the worst the day had to offer. We stil had to get to Seattle and THAT proved to be an absolutely miserable experience. I'm from Miami originally and now live in the bay area. I'm no stranger to traffic, but this traffic was just plain stupid. We would have been better served to have just gone to get the ferry. Even if we had waited THREE hours for the next one it would have been better than waiting in that traffic. Why anyone would commute in that is beyond me.
We finally made it to Seattle and the grand Hyatt. Yeah, yeah, yeah I know......really roughing it!! I don't want to come across like a snob or anything. I can see the appeal of camping, but again, these bikes aren't really geared up for that and if I'm going to be in a city like Seattle for a few days, I wanna stay at a nice place. I can assure you I get very good rates at these places so to us, it's worth it.

When we pulled up to the Hyatt, I waved the porter over to ask him where the parking garage was. When he approaches he says, in a not so pleasant tone, "yeah, what are you guys up to??". "I'm a GUEST here and I'm checking in". Even though he probably deserved it, I left the "FUCKING guest" part out of it. By the expression on the guy's face you can tell he felt like a total ass. He apologized and pointed us in the right direction. (I would later run into him downstairs and with a smile told him I hoped he didn't greet all the guests that way. He was pretty emabarrased and said he was sorry about it. I'm sure he won't do that again.
As is my usual custom, I told the lady at the front desk that she could feel to upgrade us to the presidential suite at no charge.....I wouldn't hold it against her. She then upgraded us to a regular suite. That usually works, or just tell them you're on your honeymoon and that will also do the trick ;)
We were hungry. it was still somewhat early in the evening so we changed and went out for a walk down towards and around Pikes Place Market. We found a sushi place a few blocks from there and got a table. It was a bit more of a trendy place with the rolls costing a small fortune, or at least what you would normally pay for a FEW rolls at a normal sushi restaurant. Even though the rolls did turn out to be pretty huge, it hurt to pay that much for the roll. The food was awesome, but nonetheless when I signed the credit card receipt I actually felt like they had shoved the rolls in.......well, you get the picture.
When we walked around pikes place market we passed by the now well known gum-wall. We had been here about five years ago when it was not as infamous and I took a picture that ended up being used in National Geographic traveler (which for me was pretty cool).

RIDE REPORT: Me, a blonde, 2 Ducati's.....3,000 miles
CURRENT RIDE REPORT: Part 2: Me, a blonde, 2 Ducati's.....4,000 miles

GP1152 screwed with this post 09-07-2012 at 04:52 PM
GP1152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 12:34 AM   #48
GP1152 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

After sushi it was back to our temporary humble abode. On the way back we saw this clown....or I guess, monkey. He was one of the street musicians (drummer) and I guess he figured what better than a monkey suit to get people's attention:

The next morning we slept in a bit then headed to breakfast. As would be the case going forward, we thought it would be cool to go to eat at a place we had gone to when we were in Seattle the previous time. It's a place called Etta's and it's down close to the original Starbucks, down by the waterfront.

Saw some other things around there:

Why even have a mini??

GP1152 screwed with this post 09-07-2012 at 04:53 PM
Old 08-29-2012, 12:35 AM   #49
GP1152 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Would these work under a set of leathers??

From there we walked across to the entrance to the market place/street. We saw this guy in a wheelchair that was painting with his mouth. It was amazing!! While some people complain about their life and what they can or can't do, here's this guy, in a motorized wheelchair making the most of his situation. He had an attractive assistant who as it turns out is his girlfriend. We bought a few small canvas paintings and spent the next 20 minutes or so taking to the two of them. This guy really is an inspiration. He had a great attitude and was just a really nice guy. He said he can draw pretty much anything we would want so we told him we would email him a picture from our trip so he can paint something for us. It would be great if you guys could check the guy out. Take a look and buy something. His sheer determination warrants it. Its good karma, you know. Besides, it's pretty cool stuff. He has some videos on YouTube at www.youtube.com/drawnbymouth and his email is drawnbymouth@gmail.com

After that we did the typical tourist things. Bought my sister a t-shirt that says "you can't scare me, I have twins" (which she does), checked out the guys throwing the fish around and even surfed on a pig:

We also saw this. I like to call this series, "sleepless in Seattle":

GP1152 screwed with this post 09-07-2012 at 04:54 PM
Old 08-29-2012, 12:37 AM   #50
GP1152 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

As you can see, we didn't really have much planned for when we got to Seattle. One thing I did have planned from lo g before was dinner at the space needle. I figured it was just one of those things one should do while there. It really didn't disappoint. These places usually have shitty food and rest on the fact that hey have a good view. This place was a really big surprise though. The food was very good and the service was excellent. Our waiter was electric, literally at our table every few minutes. The guy definitely understood why people where there and when he wasn't bringing food or drinks, he was taking pictures for his diners. I made our reservations right around sunset so I could get pictures like these:

After dinner we went up to the observation deck, walked around a bit then took the elevator back down. As if out of a movie, the elevator operator said he had to make one stop and the door opened up to what looked like a nightclub. The music was blaring and there was all these Asian people jamming away on the dance floor. It was surreal. Everyone on the elevator was cracking up.
Of course, when we got downstairs Stephanie succumbed to the maze of CRAP they have you walk through before you get out. We bought a few things, including a $.76 penny of the space needle (one of those that you put in the machine and it stamps and pumps out a new token out of the penny you provided). We finally got out of there and took the monorail back towards our hotel. The bed awaits!!!

Next stop....Victoria, B.C

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

GP1152 screwed with this post 08-29-2012 at 12:58 AM
Old 08-29-2012, 01:01 AM   #51
achesley
Old Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 3,383
Great pics and story, Keep it coming. Thanks for the time and work to post.

A '00 KLR 650 38,000 miles, A '07 1250S 75,000 actual, A '03 5.3L Chevy Truck 75,000 + '43 style dude , Simper Fi ;-)
achesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 01:09 AM   #52
GP1152 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSF1200S View Post
Im considering going from my D90 to a D7000, but im currently holding out through the next Photokina to see if Nikon FINALLY releases a D300s replacement (D400 presumably). Hows that 17-55 f/2.8? Im considering it, a nikkor 24-70 f/2.8, or a tamaron 24-70 f/2.8 with OS for my own trip coming next year..
I would probably do the same if it comes out. My only worry would be that the D400 is rumored to be full frame, which would mean replacing all my DX lenses. We'll see. The 17-55 is a tank. It's a great lens. The 24-70 to me is a bit limiting since on the D7000 it's actually closer to a 36-105 (with the 1.5 crop factor). The 17-55, IMHO is better all around. If your thinking of going full frame though, get the 24-70.

Old 08-29-2012, 01:12 AM   #53
Leminkainen
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
Victoria is great! Check out the gardens!

Great pics
Leminkainen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 01:14 PM   #54
Suqsuda
Secret Sharer

Oddometer: 166
Great trip you're having, I'm really enjoying your RR. Will you be taking the ferry from Seattle to Bainbridge Island and then crossing Hood Canal and riding the Olympic Peninsula to Port Angeles to cross to Victoria on the ferry?
Suqsuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 02:43 PM   #55
OneBall
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by GP1152 View Post
We finally made it to Seattle and the grand Hyatt. Yeah, yeah, yeah I know......really roughing it!! I don't want to come across like a snob or anything. I can see the appeal of camping, but again, these bikes aren't really geared up for that

You can always fit a tent on a silly bike if you really want to .

But that's more for emergencies, not sure how much appeal there is in roughing it, a hotel room and a free breakfast is so much better.

Great RR and photos keep it coming.
OneBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 03:03 PM   #56
Seyipee
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by eye.surgeon View Post
I like how you roll: clean garage, Italian bike, hot blond in tow, and none of this waking up freezing cold in a tent covered in a rash. Must be a ducati thing :)

awesome so far, keep it coming.
Seyipee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 09:51 PM   #57
GP1152 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leminkainen View Post
Victoria is great! Check out the gardens!

Great pics
I'm a few days behind in the report and even though we didn't see the gardens, Victoria was great!! Love that place.
Will update soon.

Old 08-29-2012, 09:59 PM   #58
GP1152 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suqsuda View Post
Great trip you're having, I'm really enjoying your RR. Will you be taking the ferry from Seattle to Bainbridge Island and then crossing Hood Canal and riding the Olympic Peninsula to Port Angeles to cross to Victoria on the ferry?
We actually did the BC ferry from Tsawwassen to Sidney in the way there, then did the Washington-State run ferry from Sidney to Anacortes on the return trip. Both were very easy with the bikes. The Tsawwassen ferry was further to get to but we heard good things about the BC ferries and decided to go that route. Next time we'll just do the Anacortes ferry. It was fine.

Old 08-29-2012, 10:01 PM   #59
GP1152 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneBall View Post
You can always fit a tent on a silly bike if you really want to .

But that's more for emergencies, not sure how much appeal there is in roughing it, a hotel room and a free breakfast is so much better.

Great RR and photos keep it coming.
Oh sure, but you have an excuse!! You got a bag to match the bike!! ;)

Old 08-30-2012, 05:50 PM   #60
Iamadventure
Adventurer

Oddometer: 87
Great ride report

Nice report but i think you should change the title too "3 works of art, 3000 miles and one lucky SOB! All kidding aside i am enjoying the read and ride safe you two!
Iamadventure is offline   Reply With Quote