Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-04-2012, 01:12 AM   #91
Blue Icebreaker
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by GP1152 View Post
Aside from almost stealing someone's clothes, it was a good day. Good roads, good weather, good riding and good food. What else do you need on a motorcycle trip??
A good woman. But I think you got that already ;-)
As soon as you concern yourself with the 'good' and 'bad' of your fellows, you create an opening in your heart for maliciousness to enter. Testing, competing with, and criticizing others weaken and defeat you. – Morihei Ueshiba

Blue Icebreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 08:20 AM   #92
GP1152 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 448
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Icebreaker View Post
A good woman. But I think you got that already ;-)
Definitely ;)

RIDE REPORT: Me, a blonde, 2 Ducati's.....3,000 miles
CURRENT RIDE REPORT: Part 2: Me, a blonde, 2 Ducati's.....4,000 miles
GP1152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 10:07 AM   #93
GP1152 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Jesus, on sale...

Old 09-05-2012, 10:03 AM   #94
GP1152 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Really like this shot that Stephanie took. She's getting good with her camera:

Old 09-06-2012, 12:01 PM   #95
GP1152 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Hope to update the RR tonight. Here's some pics in the meantime

Old 09-06-2012, 01:37 PM   #96
Sławekk
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
ahhh.....
Sławekk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 01:57 PM   #97
bob393
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 389
Great write up. Thanks for sharing.
bob393 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 02:36 PM   #98
Jaqen H'ghar
Valar Morgoulis

Oddometer: 199
???

You guys sure travel light, when I went on a 3000 mile trip on my 990 Adventure, my bike looked like a pack mule. you guys look like your out for a Sunday ride. I never knew a women who could pack that light for a 15 day trip. And on a Motorcycle at that! Where does a fella find a women like that? I wanna know!

2014 R1200 RT
Jaqen H'ghar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 06:59 PM   #99
samohT
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Laugh My guess

I am guessing that he is sending her stuff around to each hotel before they check in... so it looks like he is travling light... Maybe they are even on the back of a pick up... hahaha

No, seriously, it is not always need for lots of clothes when you ride. The riding gear is the same, they do laundry (as reported) and then, why do one need 15 shirts for 15 days? on a trip, one is allowed to use the same shirt (after it is washed) several times- how posh can they be????

Wait, they are riding ducati's and they do stay at hotels like "Hyatt"... hmmm maybe more to the story than we know?

Nice trip...
samohT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 09:41 PM   #100
GP1152 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numnuts View Post
You guys sure travel light, when I went on a 3000 mile trip on my 990 Adventure, my bike looked like a pack mule. you guys look like your out for a Sunday ride. I never knew a women who could pack that light for a 15 day trip. And on a Motorcycle at that! Where does a fella find a women like that? I wanna know!
lol, thanks NumNuts (never actually called someone that in a friendly manner). Samoht is right. We really don't have to pack that much. You'd also be surprised how much I have packed in there.
Also, that bag she has holds a ton of stuff. She even has a hair dryer and a small curling/straightening iron in there!!! Shoes is the killer usually for women. She finally figured this out and took a pair that folds down to practically nothing, along with a pair of Nike's. Other than that, as previously mentioned, you pretty much wear the same riding gear during the day, so you really just need clothes for dinner. Most of the places we stay at have washer and dryer so we wash a few items every other day.

This isn't exact what I took, but here's a picture of what I can get into that US-20 tank bag when using some eagle-creek packing cubes (KEY element to our trips btw):

In the backpack I have something like this:

Here's the actual list that I used this time (this all fits in the tank bag and backpack):
Jeans (1)
Cargo pants (1)
Dress shirts (2)
Gray Long sleeved t shirt (1?)
Waffle weave long sleeved t-shirts
Undershirts - white (1)
Nike pro-combat shirt
Black t-shirt (1)
Underwear (3)
Underwear shorts (2)
Gym shorts
Under-pants
Black Sneakers
Belt
Socks (3)
Dress shirts (2)
Black Nike visor
ArcT'rex jacket

PASSPORTS
REGISTRATION & INSURANCE
New Rev'it gloves
Eagle creek pouch with batteries and cables
Knife
Watch
OlloClip lens
Motorcycle chain oil
Tools (Tool roll AND Columbia tool pouch)
Flashlight & headlamp
bike lock (2)
AIR COMPRESSOR
TIRE REPAIR KIT
Microfiber towel and quick detailer
SAE cables/adapters
Charging cables
New 4-port USB Charger
GPS (plus extra batteries and new charger ordered from Amazon)
iPhone / iPad
D7000 battery charger AND EXTRA BATTERY
Mio drink mix
Gopro camera
Sharpee pen
Sunglasses
Persimmon lenses
Checkbook

GP1152 screwed with this post 09-07-2012 at 05:23 PM
Old 09-06-2012, 09:42 PM   #101
GP1152 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Back to the RR.....

The next morning I felt like crap. I had been fighting a cold it seems for days already and this morning it really hit me. Who knew that riding a motorcycle from morning to afternoon wasn't good for the immune system?? Or was it that jog last night at altitude?? Who knows? Nobody likes being sick, but I think some people deal better with it than others. I don't deal with it well at all. I don't like to sit around laying in bed when I'm HEALTHY, let alone when I don't feel well.

If you recall from the previous day's adventure, we needed to throw the clothes (our clothes, not someone else's this time :) ) in the dryer before we left. We walked over to the laundry mat and exchanged coins for heat.

Breakfast was waiting for us at the inn, along with the rest of the guests. This is where the B&B thing gets weird to me. I'm by no means a recluse, but things like this make me feel like I am on a cruise, seated at the same table with strangers. Luckily one of the couples was the couple we chatted with the night before. I was pretty out of it and had zero appetite. With apologies, I told the inn-keeper to just give me half a portion, with the hopes that I'll be able to eat some of it. The food, which included Chicken-apple-sausage, was delivered and…..Wasn't happening. I ate a few bites and that was it. After grilling the helicopter pilot with questions about his flying we headed over to pick up our clothes, then up to the room to pack.

It was a beautiful day out, but I needed more than sunshine today to make me feel better. We strapped our bags onto the bikes and headed off. I was in a daze and just kind of hanging on. We had chosen to take the more direct route instead of the route which had been recommended to us. Today just wasn't the day for it. Hopefully what little I was able to eat would kick in soon and make me feel a better. But hey, at the end of the day I have a nurse with me……..that's gotta help some, right? ;)

The road that took us back thru Enterprise (hwy-82) wasn't the most exciting to start. Just passed Wallowa though the road got more interesting. In the hope that adrenaline would cure me and in the spirit of making the most of the trip I picked up the pace a bit. Little by little I started feeling marginally better and as we made our way onto one of the few stretches of highway we would have to endure on this trip, we headed to where our next stop would be for food…, Baker City, OR. Said highway btw turned out to offer the largest collection of bugs to date also!!! Hurray bugs!!!

Stephanie had checked Yelp before we left and found a cool place called the Corner Brick Bar & Grille. By the time we got there the temperature had gone up into the 90's and I was starting to get hungry for something…. not sure what yet, but I needed food. Checking the menu I saw they had Chili. Perfect!! While we were waiting for our food Stephanie walked across the street to the pharmacy and got me some vitamin C and some meds. Free nursing for me!!! Healthcare in my house (or on the road) is alive and well. Am I lucky or what? :) We stayed there for a bit after we were done eating, drinking refill after refill of iced tea.

Having seen my camera on the table, the owner, came over and we talked Nikon for a bit. As it truns out he is also from the bay area and used to ride the same roads we do now. Really nice guy. He was also nice enough to invite us to join him in San Diego for a food and wine festival he goes to in San Diego every year. We don't drink, but we certainly EAT!!! Stephanie redeemed herself with this one. The Corner-Brick was a good find.

Riding away from the Corner-Brick we stopped for gas and to buy snacks for later. Our next stop was our destination for the day, …John Day, OR. Not someone's house…, this is the name of the town. As has been the norm, the road leaving these towns start lazy, then get better. HWY-7 out of Baker City was no exception. This was welcome surprise. I had looked at the street-view beforehand and saw some good spots, but thought some of it would be more mundane. It actually turned out to be a worthy road that best of all, kept us moving at a good clip. Here's a link to the road HERE. Along the way we stopped for this:

Stephanie: "If we move this thing we can get a really good shot of the bikes!!"…….

There MUST be a bed in there where I can rest…..

This is where we were:

How the west was done…I mean won:

So after all this "horsing" around, we got to John Day, OR. This place was probably the biggest surprise of the trip. I really thought this was going to be a place that just worked for sleep, because the next town would have been too far for one day. The best western where we stayed was perfectly fine. Comfortable bed, clean room and the staff (especially the lady at the front desk that switched our rooms so we could be closer to the bikes) were very friendly.

The helicopter pilot in Joseph had recommended we eat at a place called the "Snaffle-Bit" and the lady at the front desk did the same. Who am I to argue. We showered and made our way there for dinner. It was about a mile down the road and I once again found myself taking Stephanie on the back of her Monster. I swear it feels so damn small to me after being on the SF. I feel like Jim Carey in Dumb and dumber when I'm riding that thing:

Talk about a surprise. The Snaffle-Bit (aside from having that snazzy name) turned out to be really good. Who knew?? We both ordered steak and both were great. They had a big group out back but even with the servers having to run back and forth the service was excellent. The only problem I had was using what seemed to be a butter knife for my steak. The server, who again, was great, brought me a new one (and said they had a chain saw in the back if that didn't work).

Love the sign when you walk in:

When we were leaving dinner some ass had decided to park his wannabe-monster-truck literally a foot from the bike. When I saw it I said, "what a dick!!". There was a young kid walking out behind me. I'm pretty sure he heard me and I'm also pretty sure the truck was his. Must have felt like a schmuck because he didn't say anything and just walked away. Other than that, life was good. I was feeling better after getting a few meals in me and we had had a good day of riding. Life was good!! Tomorrow we'd head towards Bend, OR.

GP1152 screwed with this post 09-07-2012 at 09:19 AM
Old 09-07-2012, 05:21 AM   #102
GP1152 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by samohT View Post
I am guessing that he is sending her stuff around to each hotel before they check in... so it looks like he is travling light... Maybe they are even on the back of a pick up... hahaha

......they do laundry (as reported) and then, why do one need 15 shirts for 15 days? on a trip, one is allowed to use the same shirt (after it is washed) several times- how posh can they be????

Wait, they are riding ducati's and they do stay at hotels like "Hyatt"... hmmm maybe more to the story than we know?

Nice trip...
I like the pickup truck part. I need to win the lotto. My dream is to buy two RV's to have following us around as a moving hotel room. One RV for us and the other for the staff (driver, chef, etc) LOL ;)

Old 09-07-2012, 05:50 AM   #103
ducnek
Misadventurer

Oddometer: 991

Fantastic!

Old 09-07-2012, 07:09 AM   #104
El Stigo
Hey Ese its EL STIGO

Oddometer: 317
The way it should be!

Nice example to follow!

Stigo

our blog: https://www.facebook.com/AdventureCartel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuel1200 View Post
Your garage is cleaner than my bedroom

Subscribed!
First motorcycle experience. Dads, 40 something HD knucklehead it was 1966 he was 22 and my first recorded photo on a bike taken at 2 yrs. Thanks for raising me on the back of your bikes and teaching me to ride my dirt bike 35 years ago!
El Stigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 08:59 AM   #105
GP1152 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogerthat1 View Post
Great to see someone touring a Streetfighter, am just about to embark on a trip from the South of England to Scarborough for a weekend's racing at Olivers Mount and will be taking my Streetfighter with tankbag and tailpack. I personally find the riding position all day comfortable, how are you getting along?
Sorry RogerThat, I didn't notice this previously.
The SF has been very comfortable. I haven't had any issues with soreness other than a little wrist fatigue during the longer, straighter stretches. Other than that, it's been great.