Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-23-2012, 01:18 PM   #31
Clint Taurus
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 788
They're not called Road King for nuthin.
If you don't like HD then just keep on goin down the road till you find the Hondasakiyamazuki dealer.
Bashing a brand is pointless
Old 08-24-2012, 06:38 AM   #32
mrbreeze
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,681
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
2014 is actually going to have some changes that should have you sitting up in your chair in your Mom's basement.

so what do you know about the '14s? Inquiring minds want to know...

btw, metal flake paint? really?

Travels with Maw Maw
mrbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 10:42 AM   #33
AlUsual
n00b

Oddometer: 5
I actually think they might be going in the right direction with some of these. First thought I had on looking at the 2013s was, 'oh great, bold new colours'. But the new custom programme looks as if it might be interesting.

The choice of different types of wheels, bars and colour combinations could bring in a lot of people that otherwise objected to buying a new bike and throwing half of it away to replace parts. Look how much you can add to the price of a GS with options, must make BMW a pretty penny.

Now all I need is a 2014 Street Glide with black spoke rims and Anakees, twin floating discs at the front (à la V-Road) and a touch more length in the suspension at both ends. And the €s to pay for it
AlUsual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 05:51 PM   #34
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,444
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbreeze View Post

btw, metal flake paint? really?

And seats! WOOT!!!!
Old 08-24-2012, 06:38 PM   #35
Nophix
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 399
I'll admit, even after working in the H-D world for a couple years, I thought the bikes were lackluster at best.

It wasn't until recently that I figured out it wasn't really the bikes that were the problem. 1) I don't care for the "lifestyle image" marketing they spew out. 2) The bikes didn't do what I wanted a bike to do.

That being said, some things in my life have changed, and I may be changing my tune. Well, on #2 anyhow. I could really see myself buying one to sit next to the z1000 in my garage, for riding with the kids 2-up and tooling around with family.

The bikes themselves are actually well built and fantastic to ride, if you ride them in the way they were designed. My father in law's '05 Road King is amazing at eating up the miles comfortably. I also demo'd several new models last week. I could see myself being quite happy with a Street Glide or Switchback. Oh man, that Dyna Switchback is sweet!!

I actually went to check out the XR1200X. I REALLY like it, but my z1000 just does everything BETTER. If I didn't already have the z1000, I'd be tempted.

I've got a love affair with the VROD that goes back to the original model, but the current bikes all have forward controls that my short little legs can't handle. Finding a Street Rod used is nearly impossible.

I guess the Kool Aid found it's way into my mug. I can honestly say I won't ever be a "lifestyle" guy, but I could see myself buying one. I'll probably be the only guy in Wisconsin on a Harley with a full face helmet and good textile riding gear.But, the z1000 stays!
Nophix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 06:43 PM   #36
Glenngineer
Scooty Puff Sr.

Oddometer: 756
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nophix View Post
I've got a love affair with the VROD that goes back to the original model, but the current bikes all have forward controls that my short little legs can't handle. Finding a Street Rod used is nearly impossible.
I've been dreaming of a VROD for a long time, too - I was 14/15 when the first rumors started to make the rounds, and I was blown away. Now...I know a lot more about motorcycles, but I still love them. The 2012+ bikes have not so forward forward controls, and this year they reintroduced a mid control kit - so they're a lot more rideable. They look better now, too.
Glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 08:06 PM   #37
California
Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 2,878
Quote:
Originally Posted by rokinrider View Post
Boring, no new models, no new technology. They are helping Victory sales more and more... Candy Green OOOHHHH Boyyy. I'm so disgusted with the MOCO.....

And how disgusted with the Japanese manufacturers and their "Bold new graphics"
what about the years they didn't even have certain models because they had so many of last year's left.

I'm not arguing with you, and I'm not picking on you, it's seems to me that the motorcycle industry is very very hard to do right. Every manufacturer get's chewed up and spit out every year when they intro new models, or don't. If they intro new, people chew them up for what they intro. If they don't come up with something revolutionary, they get chewed up! Seems to be a NO WIN situation......

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I
took the one less traveled by,
and that has made all the difference
California is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 09:48 PM   #38
RobH
Don't tase me bro

Oddometer: 5,290
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricemannv View Post
The bronze/black RK is beautiful....

Good grief that is a beautiful bike.
Old 08-25-2012, 07:15 AM   #39
Glenngineer
Scooty Puff Sr.

Oddometer: 756
Quote:
Originally Posted by California View Post
And how disgusted with the Japanese manufacturers and their "Bold new graphics"
what about the years they didn't even have certain models because they had so many of last year's left.

I'm not arguing with you, and I'm not picking on you, it's seems to me that the motorcycle industry is very very hard to do right. Every manufacturer get's chewed up and spit out every year when they intro new models, or don't. If they intro new, people chew them up for what they intro. If they don't come up with something revolutionary, they get chewed up! Seems to be a NO WIN situation......

Welcome to the internet!
Glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 07:51 AM   #40
ERD
Custom Rider

Oddometer: 287
I think Harley has the formulas for selling motorcycle and I appaud them for it. They jsut need to stant up like a real American and fess up to when they mess up.

The 2013 HD bikes are some of the worst quality bikes ever built and HD refuse to stand up the to warranty claims.
ERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 08:13 AM   #41
Half-Fast
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD View Post
I think Harley has the formulas for selling motorcycle and I appaud them for it. They jsut need to stant up like a real American and fess up to when they mess up.

The 2013 HD bikes are some of the worst quality bikes ever built and HD refuse to stand up the to warranty claims.
So, they've been out for 2 weeks and they are already the worst quality ever?
Half-Fast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 08:15 AM   #42
ian03xl
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 160
Quote:

I assume you have some sort of proof to back up this wild claim of worst quality ever. I know some guys from the amf era that would contest that statement. BTW where did you buy your 2013? What model is it? What's the problem with it?
Old 08-25-2012, 07:54 PM   #43
ERD
Custom Rider

Oddometer: 287
Quote:
Originally Posted by Half-Fast View Post
So, they've been out for 2 weeks and they are already the worst quality ever?
I meant the 2012 ones. Wish I kept my older HD instead of upgrading to 2012.
ERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 08:16 PM   #44
Tilter
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 278
Everyone always bashed the CVO models but truly they are probably the best bang for the buck around.

Take an $18k Road King and slap $12k worth of parts on it. What to you have? An $18k Road King and the guy buying your bike gets a steal.

Take a $30k CVO road king (I know I've got the prices wrong). What do you have? About $15k worth of parts and better yet at trade-in time it comes in as a CVO so all your upgrades aren't worthless.

I've had five Harley's now and the only one I'd ever buy again is a road king. And frankly I'd probably buy a thunderbird over that anyway just because it really annoys me that Harley guys actually look down at other Harley guys. I get BMW snobs wondering why people would buy imperfect Italian bikes and Ducati guys looking down their noses at Japanese bikes because they might be cookie cutter or not and Japanese bike guys wondering why people would ever buy a bike that was slower, less reliable and more expensive to fix. But Harley has dyna guys fight with softail guys, softail guys thinking their bikes are gods gift, both of those thinking the touring bikes are geezer gliders and everyone pissing on vrods and sporties.
Tilter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 08:19 PM   #45
woodnbow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,172
Quote:
I meant the 2012 ones. Wish I kept my older HD instead of upgrading to 2012.
You've never owned a 79 model have you...