Bold new graphics is all I see... Meh.
D.T. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 08:41 AM   #62
ERD
Custom Rider

Oddometer: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
That is bullshit. There have been no major issues with the 2012 models.

Can you please share your nightmare stories...
Really? I run a fleet of them and have average of over 10k miles on them... They are ridden hard and put away WET.

Starting with the voltage regulators that Harley finally did a recall on. They would only ship 10 VR to each dealer so your bike would sit in the shop waiting on the part.

How about the loose spoke problems on RoadKings and Heritage Softail that Harley refuse to acknowledge as a problem. They loosen up after 1k mile and Harley is using all sorts of excuse not to honor the warranty. We have bikes back to dealer for this repair multiple times and they refuse to replace the rims.

Leaky oil coolers on the touring models...

Aweful paintjob. They scale back on QC and we can tell the quality, especially on the paint job has suffered.

Need I go on???

Ask any fleet operator and they will tell you the 2013 are some of the worst quality Harleys in recent history.

We're dumping the 2012s as soon as I get the 2013s. Who knows what else is wrong with them.
ERD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 09:45 AM   #63
68deluxe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,540
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
That is bullshit. There have been no major issues with the 2012 models.

Can you please share your nightmare stories...
Did they get rid of the death wobble?
Old 08-28-2012, 12:22 PM   #64
mrbreeze
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,876
there's a late model Sportster Custom in the parking lot. I don't know who owns it, but he or she rides it to work quite often. Today I noticed there is a large black spot on the pavement underneath it. IDK if it's just some overflow from the oil tank, or what, but it didn't look good.

I like the looks of the two tone brown RK...

Travels with Maw Maw
mrbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 05:51 PM   #65
sixspeed
15 under Adventurer

Oddometer: 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD View Post
Really? I run a fleet of them and have average of over 10k miles on them... They are ridden hard and put away WET.

Starting with the voltage regulators that Harley finally did a recall on. They would only ship 10 VR to each dealer so your bike would sit in the shop waiting on the part.

How about the loose spoke problems on RoadKings and Heritage Softail that Harley refuse to acknowledge as a problem. They loosen up after 1k mile and Harley is using all sorts of excuse not to honor the warranty. We have bikes back to dealer for this repair multiple times and they refuse to replace the rims.

Leaky oil coolers on the touring models...

Aweful paintjob. They scale back on QC and we can tell the quality, especially on the paint job has suffered.

Need I go on???

Ask any fleet operator and they will tell you the 2013 are some of the worst quality Harleys in recent history.

We're dumping the 2012s as soon as I get the 2013s. Who knows what else is wrong with them.
You bring up a point worth discussing - what affect does the economic downturn of 2008 have on build quality of bikes (and cars)?

With decreased sales comes cost cutting (example -"changes for 2011 - Bushing-less cam plate
•Bushing-less rods (running change)", squeezing suppliers for a lower price point and the inevitable suppliers coming and going due to lack of sales.

This stuff has to have a negative affect on quality.

Rob 2010 WR250R 2011 FLHP
sixspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 07:05 AM   #66
Shooter1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 443
Quote:
Originally Posted by sixspeed View Post
You bring up a point worth discussing - what affect does the economic downturn of 2008 have on build quality of bikes (and cars)?

With decreased sales comes cost cutting (example -"changes for 2011 - Bushing-less cam plate
•Bushing-less rods (running change)", squeezing suppliers for a lower price point and the inevitable suppliers coming and going due to lack of sales.

This stuff has to have a negative affect on quality.
I work in manufacturing and the above is correct. Over the last few years everybody is being squeezed to build stuff faster and cheaper, oftentimes to compete with import products. Parts are often re-designed to take cost out of it which affects quality and longevity of the part. Manufacturers are building parts that will just barely meet a specification, and not exceed it. This ensures a cheaper part price, and the ability to sell replacement parts more frequently. It's all driven by competition and the desire to make money. The consumer may win from the initial "purchase price" perspective, but it may translate into a higher cost of ownership over the lifetime of the bike, compared to a bike that was built with less focus on cost, and more on quality.
'00 FXDX SG Sport, '06 300XCW,
'07 EXC450, '01 640 Lc4E
Shooter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 11:01 PM   #67
Mountain Cruiser
Banned

Oddometer: 1,204
The 2013 Road Kings have some nice colors that Iike; Concorde Purple, Artic White, Fire Engine Red and Peace Keeper Blue. All of these colors are reserved for Peace Officers, Fire Fighters or Shriners. So that leaves me out. I'm stuck with Vivid Black, Midnight Pearl, CandyOrange/Beer Bottle, Ember Red Sunglo. I would have liked the Concorde Purple.
Mountain Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 12:11 PM   #68
Mike M
On the Border

Oddometer: 1,472
I'm BMW through and through---have been since I got my first back in 1997.

But in 2002 I bought a new Road Glide---just because they were everywhere and I wanted to see how I liked it. I was living in Denver then and all my riding was in the mountains and foothills. Even with the big bore kit, the RG couldn't get out of its own way at altitude. I guess I was trying to ride it like a BMW. I sold it after 2-3 months.

I still think it was the prettiest motorcycle I ever owned. Today, I still want a Road King. I'm die-hard BMW but a RK with no windshield says "motorcycle" to me. In black, of course.

My old RG back a decade ago...

Mike M screwed with this post 10-13-2012 at 12:17 PM
Mike M is offline   Reply With Quote