Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-21-2012, 05:32 AM   #31
thunderkat59
Cooter on a scooter

Oddometer: 1,188
Quote:
Originally Posted by max57 View Post
I live in rural Vermont and stay under 40mph after dark if I can. So far so good. I see lots of deer, herds sometimes, but they must hear or see my Heinkel coming. over 40 years and no trouble.
When I lived in Vermont, I was in Proctor and had to got to Manchester every day. It was a backroad route for a lot of the way, and I got used to chickens, cows and other assorted wildlife just hanging out on certain roads. DR650 with knobs handled it well

Riding a Heinkel through Vermont . . . Just cant get any better than that
thunderkat59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 05:20 AM   #32
Growl
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
rural night commute

I've been doing it for years. Upgrade your lights certainly. The main protection from deer is to ride slowly. Hopefully the route you are thinking of allows that. My theory is that deer are able to process objects moving up to maybe 35 mph but get confused by objects moving faster... But even so might do unpredictable like things jump in your path... But at 35 mph or less you can react and evade.
Growl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 06:27 PM   #33
CaseyJones
Ridin' that train

Oddometer: 742
Quote:
Originally Posted by Growl View Post
I've been doing it for years. Upgrade your lights certainly. The main protection from deer is to ride slowly. Hopefully the route you are thinking of allows that. My theory is that deer are able to process objects moving up to maybe 35 mph but get confused by objects moving faster... But even so might do unpredictable like things jump in your path... But at 35 mph or less you can react and evade.
I don't know that I agree with that.

The one time I hit a deer with my car, I had gotten it down to 25 mph. I saw the deer at a distance and laid on the brakes...the deer decided to run with me; ran alongside the car. Then decided to bolt in front; I nailed his skull at an angle with my right headlight. All this happened at less than 30 mph; I was under 25 when I hit.

It being a new, light tinfoil car, I peeled the fender back and tore up the plastic fascia on the bumper. I'm sure the deer was killed, but it being pitch-black in the country, there was no point in stopping until I got to a crossroads with lights.

That said...I agree; reduced speed is key to surviving. Slower speed buys you everything; time to react; lesser force on impact; less impact and shock if you go down.

I remember hitting a gopher on the head with my 400 Burgman, right on the surround to the radiator. The force, along with the evasive move, nearly brought me down.
CaseyJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 11:18 PM   #34
larrylarry75
Nacho Mama

Oddometer: 290
Yes Virginia, night riding really can be risky

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryRickenbacker View Post
Howdy,

Thanks for all the helpful replies. I'll make my first trip via truck, seeing as how i don't even know exactly where the location will be. After that, I'll consider my fuel-sipping Sh150i.
The wife just informed me that she doesn't want me commuting 23 miles into the country at night! Hmm..got to figure out some excuse to take the scooter ;)
There's a ton of good advice being given out here, I wish I had time to read it all but sadly I don't. One of the guys mentioned the Hornet electronic deer warning device. I've got one and I agree with him, they seem to work as the manufacturer states. For fifty bucks or thereabouts it's a nice little bit of insurance. As proof consider the story about the guy who always wore yellow pants to ward off tiger attacks....he was never attacked while wearing them. Just sayin'

The other thing I think worth mentioning has been touched on a little but here's another way you could look at it: Since you're only riding 23 miles you could dial your speed way back to say, somewhere around 35 - 40 mph and it still wouldn't take you much longer to make the trip. The idea is by doing so your avoidance reaction time would be greatly improved. If there's a downside it might be the cages overtaking you by a huge amount and that could spell trouble. Improved visibility - lighting, reflective gear, etc - would help negate that a lot but it never goes away completely.

The truck would cost more to operate but of course it would be the safest, that's a no-brainer. The difference in operating costs might be worth it though, so think carefully about this one and good luck.

LL75