Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-22-2012, 10:01 AM   #1
Hondo OP
What if its a Samsquamch?

Oddometer: 8,928
Thumb CJ Designs Storage Box on my 2011 990 Adventure

Link to the box -

http://www.cjdesignsllc.com/products...990-adventure/

Very easy to install on the left side of my ADV after installing the Remus Roxx exhaust system.

Installed -

I have enough room to install my tire kit + 2 tubes (wrapped in old socks to protect them) -

There is still some room left over -

Overall I am very happy with the storage box as it frees up some space in the Gobi tail box and is always with me regardless of how I configure the bike.

"Life's an adventure, and I refuse to live a boring one."

Hondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 10:03 AM   #2
Qwik
Two Wheeled Addict

Oddometer: 6,030
Looks great.
Old 08-22-2012, 10:54 PM   #3
SierraJeep
It's toast

Oddometer: 624
If you get creative you can pack a lot of stuff in there. I have a spare front and rear tubes (but no socks), a tool roll, 50-feet of nylon rope (intended to hang food at camp sites), some TP in a plastic bag, a small plastic shovel (to work with the TP), some shop rags, a patch kit, some duct tape (smashed the roll to lay flatter), and a cargo net all crammed into mine. These are great features to have on the bike. Frees up a lot of room and weight from the tank bag.

2010 KTM 990 Adventure
2010 KTM 450 EXC
SierraJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 01:19 AM   #4
Terence FFM
prof. cat-herder

Oddometer: 358
suggestion

Looks really good. Although I appreciate the decision to keep things simple and not have a locking cover that can jam up with mud or rust up, I think a lot of people would have liked at a provision to add a lock (I'm thinking maybe a pair of eyelets welded to the top side of the lid so a small lock can be used (keyed to match the locks on the Zegas, for example). My ProMotion tire irons weren't cheap but even if they were, I would be choked to need them one day only to find out some kids tossed them into the dumpster as a joke while I was paying for gas.
Old 08-23-2012, 06:04 AM   #5
Hondo OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terence FFM View Post
Looks really good. Although I appreciate the decision to keep things simple and not have a locking cover that can jam up with mud or rust up, I think a lot of people would have liked at a provision to add a lock (I'm thinking maybe a pair of eyelets welded to the top side of the lid so a small lock can be used (keyed to match the locks on the Zegas, for example). My ProMotion tire irons weren't cheap but even if they were, I would be choked to need them one day only to find out some kids tossed them into the dumpster as a joke while I was paying for gas.
I too have thought about a lock system for the box. A simple metal strap/hasp would be an easy mod - as long as it was designed to apply pressure to the lid to keep the box water tight.

Old 08-23-2012, 06:09 AM   #6
Narsisco Lopez
Addlepated

Oddometer: 2,213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terence FFM View Post

Maybe it's just dumb luck, but I've traveled more than 12,000 miles in long-distance bike trips lately and have never had anyone screw with my unattended bike while either using the bathroom or eating lunch.

But, if a lock was necessary, it might be possible to thread a small cable lock like this one...

through the strap eyelets.
A Few Past Bikes
: 2003 Suzuki DRZ400E | 2012 BMW K13S | 2009 KTM 990 Adventure
Narsisco Lopez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 06:14 AM   #7
Narsisco Lopez
Addlepated

Oddometer: 2,213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondo View Post

-

Seems like a lot of work to go through just for a place to store your dirty socks

Seriously, looks great, Leigh

Mine came in very handy while on my trip to the Great White North a few weeks ago. As much as I hated the road site repair I was forced to do, it was awesome to have my tools readily-available and easily-accessible.

Of course, my black box is faster than yours

A Few Past Bikes
: 2003 Suzuki DRZ400E | 2012 BMW K13S | 2009 KTM 990 Adventure
Narsisco Lopez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 06:17 AM   #8
Hondo OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narsisco Lopez View Post
Seems like a lot of work to go through just for a place to store your dirty socks

Seriously, looks great, Leigh

Mine came in very handy while on my trip to the Great White North a few weeks ago. As much as I hated the road site repair I was forced to do, it was awesome to have my tools readily-available and easily-accessible.

Of course, my black box is faster than yours

I bought a can of black epoxy paint for the box but decided to leave it natural to match the exhaust.

Glad to hear that it worked out good for you!