Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-24-2012, 03:47 PM   #31
GeeGusKahn
Adventurer

Oddometer: 51
Klaviator

Great thread.

I will throw in a few things.

Screwdrivers - yes, I do have a few that are very old, but, most screwdriver sets are for wood screws.
The multi tip drivers that are available now are much better for working on your scooter - other machines - etc.

The reason is the way the tips are ground. The new multi tips fit machine screws much better.

Also, make sure the tip fits the screw.

On Jap scooters and possibly others, some phillips screws are not phillips, they are JIT.
Very similar to phillips, but not the same. On larger screwheads, you will not see much of a difference,
But on small screwheads, it is really easy to wallow out the screw head with a phillips.
JIT drivers are not found at your local home depot or harbor freight that I know of.
Just be aware that on small phillips head screws such as on carbs, etc., that they may be JIT and if you are careful, you can usually get them off without incident.

Sent from my Trash 80 on 300 baud dial up.
GeeGusKahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 04:16 PM   #32
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,647
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warney View Post
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...0070921x00003c
This is a decent deal on decent tools, found on slickdeals via garagejournal.com, there may be additional discounts available. Better hurry.
That does look like a great deal on a craftsman tool kit.

klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 04:17 PM   #33
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeGusKahn View Post
Klaviator

Great thread.

I will throw in a few things.

Screwdrivers - yes, I do have a few that are very old, but, most screwdriver sets are for wood screws.
The multi tip drivers that are available now are much better for working on your scooter - other machines - etc.

The reason is the way the tips are ground. The new multi tips fit machine screws much better.

Also, make sure the tip fits the screw.

On Jap scooters and possibly others, some phillips screws are not phillips, they are JIT.
Very similar to phillips, but not the same. On larger screwheads, you will not see much of a difference,
But on small screwheads, it is really easy to wallow out the screw head with a phillips.
JIT drivers are not found at your local home depot or harbor freight that I know of.
Just be aware that on small phillips head screws such as on carbs, etc., that they may be JIT and if you are careful, you can usually get them off without incident.
Good info. How can I tell if it's a JIT screw?

Old 08-24-2012, 04:17 PM   #34
GeeGusKahn
Adventurer

Next biggie in my book is a torque wrench.
If you are only going to have one, get a 3/8 drive, 10 - 100 lbs (or there abouts).
The reason is that many small bolts on scooters and cycles bolt into aluminum.

It is very easy to strip out oil plugs and similar plugs and screws.
It is much easier to torque it correctly than to have to drill out a sheared bolt, etc.
I know there are those who say they don't need a torque wrench, they just feel when it is tight enough.
I spent maybe 20 years working on industrial machinery and forklifts.
When I do aluminum, or small fasteners, or critical items like head bolts, I use a torque wrench.

The other important place to use a torque wrench is on the axle nuts when you change a tire.
If you just tighten up the axle nut and say -that's tight enough- you could be overloading your wheel bearing.
Overloaded bearings, too tight, will run hot, drag and fail much sooner.
One final one for today - check your specific scooter type forums.
Burgman owners have fantastic resources at BurgmanUSA.
There are other forums with lots of info for many other scooters and cycles.

Old 08-24-2012, 04:20 PM   #35
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

I have 2 torque wrenches. A big 1/2 inch drive wrench and a smaller 1/4 inch calibrated in inch pounds. I got the smaller one when I started doing valve adjustments.

Old 08-24-2012, 04:52 PM   #36
GeeGusKahn
Adventurer

How can I tell if it's a JIT screw?

How can I tell if it's a JIT screw?

Klaviator.

No obvious sign when you are looking at the screw head.
Only thing you might notice is the phillips head screwdriver does not seem to sit all the way down into the screw head.

Suki, Honda, etc use it on their bikes, but I have no idea if Kymco or other Asian countries use it on a regular basis.

Larger screws usually are not a problem. It is the small screws that are the problem.

On the actual screw driver, look at the tip of a phillips screwdriver.
Look from the side.
On some you will see a slight bow out or flair out of the four flutes.
This flair out is about half way up the flute towards the tip.
JIT drivers do not have this flair out and the tip point is - I don't remember - either slightly longer or shorter.
I have a Klein Tools 10 in 1 screwdriver that the small phillips tip fits the JIT small screw heads well, but not perfect.

Like I said, most of the larger screw heads will not give you a problem.
It's the small screws that can drive you nuts.
JIT screwdrivers can be ordered from some industrial tool suppliers - but I don't remember which ones.

Old 08-26-2012, 08:55 AM   #37
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

Emergency Tool Kit

I don't care how reliable your scooter is or how well it is maintained, Shit happens.

I prefer to be somewhat prepared for that. I am sure that I am not as well prepared as some people, but I am not planning to ride my scooter around the world any time soon.

I'll start of with the tools I carry on my Aprilia:

Starting from the left on the top row.

Small first aid kit.
Home made jumper cables
multi purpose glue
spare CO2 cartridges
CO2 air pump
Tire repair reamer and plug insertion tool (they are fastened together by rubber bands)
tire repair sticky strings and glue
Zip ties
Knife, hose clamp, wire & duct tape
Old camera case. It holds everything in the top row except the first aid kit and Jumper cables

In between the rows is a spare valve core

Second row from the left:
Cheap wrench and extension handle from an old MC tool kit. It fits the axle nut.
Reversible screw driver
Vise grips (actually a cheap Chinese copy)
Tire pressure gauge
needle nose pliers
Adjustable wrench
Allen wrenches
Spring preload adjustment tool
Flash light - It is carried wrapped in the small rag shown.
Case for carrying the stuff in the second row.

I'm sure there are people out there with better tool kits and I may change a few things in mine. In the end it really depends on how well prepared you want to be.

I'll get into emergency roadside maintenance and what all those tools are for next.

Old 08-26-2012, 09:22 AM   #38
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

Emergency Roadside Maintenance

Let me start off by reminding everyone again that I am not an expert mechanic so as I go through this stuff, suggestions and comments as well as questions are welcomed.

Most of my experience with roadside maintenance comes as a result of my dual sport riding. I carry more comprehensive tool kits on my dual sport bikes because I ride them way out in the boonies where assistance is much harder to find. Also riding off road is just harder on equipment and the chance of falling down and bending of braking things is much higher. Furthermore, I have a KLR which tends to lose nuts and bolts on a regular basis

So far, I have only used my scooter tool kits to help other people. I'm hoping that my luck doesn't change

The first item in my tool kit is a first aid kit. Obviously this is not intended for use on the scooter. It's pretty self explanatory and I keep one on All of my vehicles. This is one item I have gotten use of several times although, again, I have mainly used it on other people.

Second is my homemade jumper cables. If your scooter does not have a kick starter and your battery goes dead, jump starting is the only way to start it unless you have one of the few scooters out there with a manual transmission.
I made this my self using an extension cord and some small alligator clips. I'm not sure the wires are big enough to actually carry the current required but it cost me next to nothing and takes up very little space. I have seen discussions about jump starting scooters and motorcycles and many people have done it. I've done it with a motorcycle but not a scooter. Ideally, find another scooter or motorcycle to jump start from. Cars/trucks have a much more powerful electrical system. If jump starting from a car, I recommend doing it with the cars motor NOT running.

Next is some glue. You never know when this will come in handy and it also takes up very little space.

Fixing a flat tire is next. I'll do that later in a separate post since it's a more complex subject.

klaviator screwed with this post 08-26-2012 at 09:28 AM
Old 08-26-2012, 11:51 AM   #39
Tacoma
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 233
the more you noobs try to maintain or fix your scooter the worst it makes it, if you have no idea what ur doing then your making it worse, its a waste of time to change the final drive oil, its a sealed system, the oil never wears out! the more times you change your engine oil the more life you take away from your engine, when you first start up the engine right after you change the oil you are starving the engine of oil for the first 5 to 10 seconds before the oil is circulated and the pressure is normal, you can go 10 to 12K on engine oil changes, another thing I see too much is the crankcase is overfilled, in my opinion its much more harmfull to overfill the oil than it is to leave it a little low, the only thing you need to do is change the CVT belt and tires.
Tacoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 12:05 PM   #40
Warney
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 569
Sound advice.
Warney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 12:14 PM   #41
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

Based on his previous posts, and the stupidity of the one above, I wouldn't take Tacoma's advice on changing a light bulb. But then, it is possible that he knows better than the engineers who designed your scooter. I'll let you decide.

Old 08-26-2012, 01:34 PM   #42
hexnut
just cruising

Oddometer: 1,373
Quote:
Originally Posted by klaviator View Post
Based on his previous posts, and the stupidity of the one above, I wouldn't take Tacoma's advice on changing a light bulb. But then, it is possible that he knows better than the engineers who designed your scooter. I'll let you decide.
I would say he would have trouble pouring piss out of a boot with the directions written on the heel.

hexnuts...a curse put on your balls by a mean gypsy
3/5 Cav, C Troop, BlackKnights, Vietnam 1969
hexnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 01:37 PM   #43
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hexnut View Post
I would say he would have trouble pouring piss out of a boot with the directions written on the heel.

I'm not sure he can actually read.

Old 08-26-2012, 03:00 PM   #44
steveb126
Adventurer Anonymous

Oddometer: 1,011
thanks klaviator, another worthwhile post/thread. You da man !

By the way picked up a new 2012 Super 8 150 August 17th, loving it. Already have 500 miles on it and did the break in service myself at 238 miles. I'm a semi-retired automatic transmission rebuilder by trade so I gots tools and experience .
Old 08-26-2012, 05:25 PM   #45
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveb126 View Post
thanks klaviator, another worthwhile post/thread. You da man !

By the way picked up a new 2012 Super 8 150 August 17th, loving it. Already have 500 miles on it and did the break in service myself at 238 miles. I'm a semi-retired automatic transmission rebuilder by trade so I gots tools and experience .
Great, make sure you post some pics. I've got 7600 miles on mine. I'm getting ready to replace the belt and rollers. Still on the original tires. So far it's been an easy scooter to work on.