Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-23-2012, 10:22 AM   #1
dreemrider OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 168
Temporary install of Garmin 350 LM on R1200GSA

I have had an opportunity rear its head and want to take advantage of it to the fullest. I will be traveling to Germany and will have at least 3 days rental of an R1200GSA and will probably just take some day trips but would like to get back to the motel at night. I have a new Garmin Zumo 350LM and I have the complete kit for the GPS but have hardly taken it out of the box since I received it a month ago, too many other things on my agenda. Since I do not have an R1200GSA, I don't know what I would need to temporarily mount the Zumo to the GSA. Can someone show me pictures or tell me how to set this thing up so I don't spend the rest of my life wandering around southern Germany or Austria trying to figure out how to get home? Then again, I guess there's worse places to be! If I need to order some other stuff, let me know and all help is appreciated!
dreemrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 11:15 AM   #2
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,011
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreemrider View Post
I have had an opportunity rear its head and want to take advantage of it to the fullest. I will be traveling to Germany and will have at least 3 days rental of an R1200GSA and will probably just take some day trips but would like to get back to the motel at night. I have a new Garmin Zumo 350LM and I have the complete kit for the GPS but have hardly taken it out of the box since I received it a month ago, too many other things on my agenda. Since I do not have an R1200GSA, I don't know what I would need to temporarily mount the Zumo to the GSA. Can someone show me pictures or tell me how to set this thing up so I don't spend the rest of my life wandering around southern Germany or Austria trying to figure out how to get home? Then again, I guess there's worse places to be! If I need to order some other stuff, let me know and all help is appreciated!
You have everything you need in the zumo 350 box to mount the Motorcycle Mount on the handlebars of the GSA. The mount cable is long enough to be routed back to the battery and connected directly since it has a builtin Fuse.

You will of course need EU maps if you didn't get an EU zumo 350.

P.S. The Owners Manual will show you how to setup the Mount and RAM installation.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com

DRTBYK screwed with this post 08-23-2012 at 11:37 AM
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 12:31 PM   #3
dreemrider OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks!

Thanks Dan,

That's good news!
Old 08-23-2012, 05:58 PM   #4
WoodButcher
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,970
Or get a powerlet connector to put on the end of the cable and just plug into the outlet by the seat.

2009 BMW R1200GS Adventure
1999 DR650
WoodButcher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 03:04 AM   #5
9Dave
Bazinga!

Oddometer: 12,699
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
You will of course need EU maps if you didn't get an EU zumo 350.
This is the most important part!

Also, learn how to program waypoints on the unit and how to navigate to them so you can easily find your way back.

Enjoy. Germany can be quite fun!

dunno.....
9Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 07:25 AM   #6
dreemrider OP
Gnarly Adventurer

WoodButcher...

..is the outlet by the seat on the Can Bus? I stopped by my dealer yesterday and he sold me a small yellow harnass that I can wire together with my GPS and plug into the Can Bus down by the forks. I doubt that the dealer in Austria is going to want me wrenching on their GSA so they may want to do it anyway.
Old 08-24-2012, 08:17 AM   #7
WoodButcher
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,970
Quote:
..is the outlet by the seat on the Can Bus? I stopped by my dealer yesterday and he sold me a small yellow harnass that I can wire together with my GPS and plug into the Can Bus down by the forks. I doubt that the dealer in Austria is going to want me wrenching on their GSA so they may want to do it anyway.
I'm talking about the standard powerlet port on the bike. Standard item like a cigarette lighter outlet. A powerlet connecter is a slightly different shape than a cig adapter and it is a more positive connection and less likely to slip out. Your dealer sold you the harness to connect to the taped up connector by the oil cooler. So you would have to cut off the tape holding the connector, remove the plastic cap on the connector, hook up to that and probably zip tie all the slack out of the way. Then undo that when you return the bike. With the seat connector you would need to run the cable along side the tank (same for direct connect to battery), but the connection is easily removable. Same place you would hook in heated gear or a cell phone charger. And both are canbus connections and only are on when the bike is on.

2009 BMW R1200GS Adventure
1999 DR650
WoodButcher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 08:57 AM   #8
dreemrider OP
Gnarly Adventurer

More questions

So I can power my Garmin 350 LM off of the outlet which is canbus? Sorry for the stupid questions but the canbus thing is something I'm ignorant of. So all I have to do is buy a powerlet plug and wire my GPS to it and plug it in, right?
Old 08-24-2012, 08:58 AM   #9
dreemrider OP
Gnarly Adventurer

More....

So I could plug it into the one up front also I assume?
Old 08-24-2012, 11:01 AM   #10
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
So I could plug it into the one up front also I assume?
The wire harness connector on the BMW the you purchased the mate for is designed as a "special accessory" connection and is predominately use for connecting a GPS (as noted by WoodButcher). It is not such a big deal to connect to.

But, if you use the Powerlet plug on your zumo you can plug it into the standard Accessory socket on the BMW - they all are controlled to the CanBUS. Take the yellow wire "service connector" back to the BMW Dealer unless you plan on acquiring a BMW in the future.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 08-24-2012, 12:53 PM   #11
dreemrider OP
Gnarly Adventurer

and more....

So the power coming from the canbus is no different, it's just a matter of connectors, and the fact that the powerlet is only hot when the bike is running.....is that correct?
Old 08-24-2012, 12:54 PM   #12
dreemrider OP
Gnarly Adventurer

more yet.....

I did not see a Powerlet (or BMW) plug in my Zumo kit so I need to buy a Powerlet PP-2 (I think).
Old 08-24-2012, 01:04 PM   #13
dreemrider OP
Gnarly Adventurer

still more.....

How about a Powerlet Deluxe Plug?
Old 08-24-2012, 02:59 PM   #14
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
So the power coming from the canbus is no different, it's just a matter of connectors, and the fact that the powerlet is only hot when the bike is running.....is that correct?
That is correct. The Accessory circuits will stay powered for 45-60sec after the ignition key has been turned off. Then the computer will shut down these connections.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 08-24-2012, 03:02 PM   #15
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
How about a Powerlet Deluxe Plug?