Oddometer: 170
Awesome, Happy New Year
Hevy Kevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 06:38 PM   #212
yellowknife
Is In Canada

Oddometer: 682
Young James

must have been helping you too with the pics. Great job. Have a great new year Phil. Many more miles and memories to work on in your future.

Dana
Old 01-01-2013, 08:31 AM   #213
Slowphil OP
REALLY Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,516
We were out for a ride early New Years Eve so I thought I'd post these to try and show Ushuaia a little better

a trekker from Switzerland came along, had a great conversation with him and he offered to take our picture so who can say no

Young James came wandering along as well

if you want to see the area and have lots of money here's the place to go

I suppose I could have got a better picture of this but was too idle to get off my bike

but as with all good things they have to come to an end, here's Ernie packing all his gear getting ready to start heading home tomorrow but the adventures will still continue

Slowphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 05:57 PM   #214
Slowphil OP
REALLY Gnarly Adventurer

Well after Ernie spent all that time packing our gear and with the bike tuned as best I could it's time to hit the road north, to make the ferry to Punta Arenas we had to be on the road by 0600hrs

packing the bikes

the next pictures are compliments of Bill Beckwith, another New Years eve partier

heading out through the pillars

not to far out the pillars we saw this, at first it ran down the road ahead of us but then it cut off and up the hill, it was just a beautiful sight

as when I was riding through the mountain pass into Ushuaia when it was snowing and cold it was cold, raining with heavy fog when we rode out through it. I think I preferred the snow

heading down the gravel roads towards the ferry

that's me by the way

clearing customs once again

along the coastal road

but we made it to the ferry ramp with a half hour to spare

our first days track

the reason I headed for Punta Arenas was the availability of new tires, specificly Heidenau scouts, the shop where I got them was really impressive

the place was immaculate, if your down this way and need repairs this is the place, I highly recommend it

and here they are, beautiful no?

there still wasn't any chain or sprockets available for my bike so its off to Buenos Aires with a really questionable chain moving me

I've stated before I really like riding through the deserts and pampas but I have to admit 3 days and 3000 kms of this was a bit much

Next arriving in BA and the kindness of strangers
Old 01-08-2013, 06:36 PM   #215
Slowphil OP
REALLY Gnarly Adventurer

Getting to Buenos Aires with no gps available it was down to writing out instructions how to get to the apartment I'll be staying at, managed to get lost on the tollways and went 40 kms out of my way but once straightened out and headed in the right direction I saw a big sign for 9th de Julio, HEY thats my exit, down off the highway and into the city. I figured the easiest thing to do was to do the time honoured trick of flagging down a taxi and pay him to lead me. I finally got a taxi to stop and managed to convey that I wanted him to lead me to this address. Off we go, he leads me to a street and tries to indicate where I'm supposed to go next but it must have been the stunned look on my face because he then lead me to the street, got out of his taxi and wandered up and down the block until he found the apartment for me, he then refused to accept any money from me, shook my hand and took off before I could get his picture. There I was standing in front of the apartment with the sweat running down inside my gear feeling extremely grateful for his kindness

our apartment

views from the balcony

got an email from Peter who was on the ferry from Panama to Cartagena with me, he's in town so invited him over for supper

this is my second day here and I haven't really seen much, I've been busy arranging parts and repairs for the bike, it now has a problem with the starting circuit theres a wire loose in there and it's a real problem getting it to start. Then there's the time consuming activity of cleaning gear and doing laundry

trying to get my riding gear washed

I'm waiting for Jan my wife to arrive and the time is getting close!!!!! It's hard to believe I haven't seen her for over 5 months now

Here's Ernie hard at work typing out this report as I dictate it, I figure it's about time he started carrying his part of the load

There will be a slight change in course for this report for the next month, my butt is going to be sitting in a first class bus for the travelling portion and since I haven't found an Adventure Bus Rider forum to post in I guess I have to keep on here but the adventure continues
Old 01-09-2013, 12:49 PM   #216
Nsman
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Hi Phil,
For your starting issue,check the switch on your clutch lever,they can get dirty and act as a kill switch.make sure the plunger is sliding free.
Nsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 01:07 PM   #217
yellowknife
Is In Canada

Oddometer: 682
you are a funny guy lol

"Adventure Bus Rider"

YK
Old 01-09-2013, 04:21 PM   #218
Slowphil OP
REALLY Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nsman View Post
Hi Phil,
For your starting issue,check the switch on your clutch lever,they can get dirty and act as a kill switch.make sure the plunger is sliding free.

Thanks for the tip NS I'll pass it on to Dakar Motos who are doing the servicing, glad your still following the saga

Cheers Philip
Old 01-09-2013, 04:25 PM   #219
Slowphil OP
REALLY Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowknife View Post
"Adventure Bus Rider"

YK
YK: I hope your out in the garage every night giving the gray pig all the attention it deserves. There has to be 2 1200 gsa's down here for every other bike on the road so you must be pleased, when you get here you will be in good company

Cheers Your Bud
Old 01-12-2013, 04:52 PM   #220
Motojournalism
motojournalism.com

Oddometer: 1,630
Whoo! just catching up now. I'm at the part where you've crossed into Peru. South American borders seem a helluva lot easier than Central American ones, no?

Darien yacht crossing looked great!
Did they pave that last bit of road in Kuna territory to the Caribbean shore? I seem to remember it being all dirt with a big water crossing at the end...

Way Out West - Canada to the Darien Gap
Follow me on Twitter
Motojournalism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 05:51 AM   #221
Slowphil OP
REALLY Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motojournalism View Post
Whoo! just catching up now. I'm at the part where you've crossed into Peru. South American borders seem a helluva lot easier than Central American ones, no?

Darien yacht crossing looked great!
Did they pave that last bit of road in Kuna territory to the Caribbean shore? I seem to remember it being all dirt with a big water crossing at the end...
Hey Moto, good to hear from you, South American borders are a breeze to cross about 10 to 15 mins for aduana and 5 mins for migration if that. Have crossed Chile/Argentina/Chile about 10 times with absolutely no problems Stalhratte was just a blast if you get with the right group you'll have a great time and the road through the Kuna territory is paved with large sections starting to disintigrate. Things haven't changed too much from when you were there. Take care and when are you heading Nova Scotia way again?

Philip
Old 01-26-2013, 07:19 PM   #222
kevinsinvegas
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
Awesome adventure! One I will try myself in a few years. Thanks for the RR.

Safe Travels.

fjr1300 - Sold
KTM 530 EXC - Rockn' it!
kevinsinvegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 11:10 AM   #223
Slowphil OP
REALLY Gnarly Adventurer

You guys almost had an exciting chapter put on here last night, after slaving over a hot keyboard I went to hit enter for upload it crashed on me. It will be a little bit for an exciting chapter from ADVENTURE BUS RIDER but it will be worth it
Old 02-14-2013, 01:57 PM   #224
C-Stain
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,179

Well, get to it!

I'm guessing Jan made it home alright? I never thought to ask you the other night if I should go over to your house with the snowblower and dig out...

Interested in attending the HU Maritimes 2014 Meeting? Click HERE!
C-Stain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 06:02 AM   #225
Icewalker
Conundrum

Oddometer: 40,518
Looking good Philip. Have to say it's a tad bit snowier here than when you left What an amazing journey. Becky is still asking where you have got to.

take care and all the best

Jeff