Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-18-2013, 01:07 PM   #451
Big_John OP
Colorado Rider

Oddometer: 2,964
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzuki Phil View Post
Since this is my first RMAR event what time in the morning should I check the whiteboard? I'd like to ride on Thursday and Friday, Saturday we have to head back to California.

SP

Ride Leaders will start posting the info about their ride the evening before, on the White Board. Then the next morning, there will be a short Ride Meeting and then departure.

There will be at least a dozen different ride groups every day......maybe upwards of 20-25 groups. Of course, anyone is welcome to form a little private ride between buddies and take off.....or do a solo ride. (We do like Solo Riders to speak with Big_John, so that someone knows where you are going and when you will be back.....and Solo Riders should have a SPOT.)

Here are a couple of hypothetical examples of Ride Information.....to give you an idea......

Leader: Big_John - KTM 950 ADV - 24 Riders Max
Alpine Loop Ride - Jeep Trails - 75 miles
Big to Mid-sized Bikes - Novice Riders and slow-moderate speed
Departure at 9am - Expected return at 4pm
Meeting in front of the Red Mtn Offices
Lunch in Lake City

Leader: Modette (Mark) - GAS GAS 300 - 10 Riders Max
Telluride - Single Track - Over Black Bear - 90 miles
Small Plated Dual Sport Bikes - Advanced Ride
Departure at 8:30 - Expected return at 5-6pm
Meeting by the RMAR BBQ Trailer
Lunch on the trail, pack appropriately

Leader: Mac (Matt) - BMW 1200GSA - 15 Riders Max
Million Dollar Highway, Rico/Durango Loop - 250 miles
Big Adventure Bikes - All Pavement
Departure at 8am - Expected return at 4pm
Meeting by Cabin #6
Lunch in Durango at the MicroBrew
Pointing the Way http://www.gracemotoadv.com
Big_John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 03:01 PM   #452
Jailor8
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,192
Besides

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzuki Phil View Post
Since this is my first RMAR event what time in the morning should I check the whiteboard? I'd like to ride on Thursday and Friday, Saturday we have to head back to California.

SP
Phil

Besides what Big John has already posted.

By Thursday eve most of the gang will be there. Really the posted rides wont start till Friday. My son and I have plans to be there by Tuesday nite in Cabin 3. I was a noob last year, 16 year old will be a noob this year. However, I rode enough of the area last year to be able to keep you entertained on Thursday. We will be taking it easy and exploring, letting son get accustomed to riding out there. By Thursday he should have a pretty good handle on it.

If nothing else I can point ya to the correct map at the store and highlight a route for you and say "see ya" and then check and make sure you made it back later that eve.

FYI. It rains almost every afternoon that time of year there and drink lots of water!!!

That help? I had the same questions last year.

Jailor8
RIP my Cousin, Austin City Limits aka Terry Hammond
KTM950A, KLR685, KLR650, KLR250, KLX250, Honda Rebel, Foretrax Foreman 4x4
Jailor8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 08:59 PM   #453
LuluOfDenver
The peanut gallery.

Oddometer: 225
Hey Jailor8, I plan on cruising in on Wednesday, so I might look for you guys and hook up for a ride.

I can't wait! Is it July yet...?

Sent from my device upon which I can access nearly all knowledge in the world, yet which I actually use to look at pictures of motorbikes and cute dogs.

GIRL ON A MOTORBIKE
Http://louisesbmwbike.blogspot.com
LuluOfDenver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 09:53 PM   #454
Jailor8
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,192
Sounds like

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuluOfDenver View Post
Hey Jailor8, I plan on cruising in on Wednesday, so I might look for you guys and hook up for a ride.

I can't wait! Is it July yet...?

Sent from my device upon which I can access nearly all knowledge in the world, yet which I actually use to look at pictures of motorbikes and cute dogs.
Sounds like a plan. No Guarantee, repair your own carnage!!!

J8
RIP my Cousin, Austin City Limits aka Terry Hammond
KTM950A, KLR685, KLR650, KLR250, KLX250, Honda Rebel, Foretrax Foreman 4x4
Jailor8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 03:07 PM   #455
TXjames
High Sider

Oddometer: 1,062
One of you Coloradans correct me if I'm wrong but I believe this is the must-have map: http://www.natgeomaps.com/ti_141

I purchased one last summer and it's almost too detailed... in a good way. It's downright awesome! They're available in the local Silverton stores so support the community and buy them there.
Old 04-19-2013, 04:11 PM   #456
modette
RMAR

Oddometer: 4,329
I'll be there Wednesday in Cabin 2, hope to be there by by Noon time as of now just me so I'll make good time and will probably leave Colorado Springs around 5am-6am.

As of now just the 2012 GasGas 300 (2 stroke) but I have fuel range figured out to around 138 miles...so I should be good for most riding.

modette screwed with this post 06-13-2013 at 12:50 PM
modette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 04:14 PM   #457
modette
RMAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXjames View Post
One of you Coloradans correct me if I'm wrong but I believe this is the must-have map: http://www.natgeomaps.com/ti_141

I purchased one last summer and it's almost too detailed... in a good way. It's downright awesome! They're available in the local Silverton stores so support the community and buy them there.
I skipped buying it, I did not like what I saw at the dealer when I looked at it.

Butler Maps
Funtreks
And Forest service maps

We have some links on your page:
http://www.rmariders.org/vendor-partners.html
Old 04-19-2013, 07:12 PM   #458
Saltydog86
village idiot

Oddometer: 1,027
Quote:
Originally Posted by modette View Post
I'll be there Wednesday in Cabin 2, hope to be there by by Noon time as of now just me so I'll make good time and will probably leave Colorado Springs around 5am-6am.

As of now just the 2012 GasGas 300 (2 stroke) but I have fuel range figured out to around 138 miles...so I should be good for most riding but do plan to probably stick to the Single Track rides this year.

I'll be leading one on Hermosa Creek. The loop I did last year was like 95 miles I think. It will feel like 300. I'll probably be more strict too on group size. I plan to do it in reverse but might run it both ways. Come to me if you plan to get down and crazy....

I;m known for changing plans too...after all its an Adventure.

Is Calico and Priest part of this ride? Those are 2 areas I've been wanting to ride but have always been riding solo and its pretty remote to be alone.
I'm there Sunday to Sunday, rv spot already reserved.
05 Yamaha XT225
03 Honda Goldwing GL1800
Saltydog86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 09:53 AM   #459
modette
RMAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltydog86 View Post
Is Calico and Priest part of this ride? Those are 2 areas I've been wanting to ride but have always been riding solo and its pretty remote to be alone.
I wanted to do Calico last year on the XR650R...but was wore out. Plus its over the mountain range so fuel might be an issue? Or is there fuel when you drop down through Ophir? I got to plan stops now on the GasGas...LOL

I guess I'll look into it or if someone can say that be great.

Silverton Campground to 145 by way of Ophir is 15 miles.

modette screwed with this post 04-20-2013 at 10:10 AM
Old 04-20-2013, 10:58 AM   #460
Suzuki Phil
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 627
We'll be arriving Sunday afternoon and staying in a RV site. Thank you for the offer of a ride on Thursday will look you up on Wednesday. This is my first time riding in Colorado so I'll need guidance.

SP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jailor8 View Post
Phil

Besides what Big John has already posted.

By Thursday eve most of the gang will be there. Really the posted rides wont start till Friday. My son and I have plans to be there by Tuesday nite in Cabin 3. I was a noob last year, 16 year old will be a noob this year. However, I rode enough of the area last year to be able to keep you entertained on Thursday. We will be taking it easy and exploring, letting son get accustomed to riding out there. By Thursday he should have a pretty good handle on it.

If nothing else I can point ya to the correct map at the store and highlight a route for you and say "see ya" and then check and make sure you made it back later that eve.

FYI. It rains almost every afternoon that time of year there and drink lots of water!!!

That help? I had the same questions last year.

Jailor8
Old 04-20-2013, 02:54 PM   #461
Saltydog86
village idiot

Oddometer: 1,027
Quote:
Originally Posted by modette View Post
I wanted to do Calico last year on the XR650R...but was wore out. Plus its over the mountain range so fuel might be an issue? Or is there fuel when you drop down through Ophir? I got to plan stops now on the GasGas...LOL

I guess I'll look into it or if someone can say that be great.

Silverton Campground to 145 by way of Ophir is 15 miles.

I was thinking Bolam to east fork, then south a bit on 145 to FS535 to catch Calico. On the map it looks like 626/Horse Creek trail will allow a fuel stop in Rico. After that could probably make the Cailco, Priest Gulch loop and double back thru Rico for another top off before catching Scotch Creek back to Old Lime Creek on the return. Would be a long day, but epic.
I'm a flatlander most of the year but would be up for doing this will a small group on light bikes.
Maybe somebody that has ridden this loop in the last year or so has some better insight?
05 Yamaha XT225
03 Honda Goldwing GL1800
Saltydog86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 06:24 PM   #462
modette
RMAR

Quote:
I was thinking Bolam to east fork, then south a bit on 145 to FS535 to catch Calico. On the map it looks like 626/Horse Creek trail will allow a fuel stop in Rico. After that could probably make the Cailco, Priest Gulch loop and double back thru Rico for another top off before catching Scotch Creek back to Old Lime Creek on the return. Would be a long day, but epic.
I'm a flatlander most of the year but would be up for doing this will a small group on light bikes.
Maybe somebody that has ridden this loop in the last year or so has some better insight?
Well from Silverton Campground to Rico Fuel, its 32.3 miles so that is doable...Top off I can carry extra oil for my gas not an issue there.

That is going to be a long day for sure. Hermosa Creek took all day and that is closer to Silverton although. On paper I'm up for Calico...see how I feel once there and riding. And your right if a local wants to chime in any advise would be great.

modette screwed with this post 06-13-2013 at 12:51 PM
Old 04-21-2013, 01:02 PM   #463
MountainsandRivers
loves dirty things!

Oddometer: 2,364
Quote:
Let's talk! I want to organize a ride with those as the goal..i had thoughts of Hermosa over to scotch, then attempting little bear or grindstone, then up priest to calico, down the Burnett connector to Rico for fuel/food and back up calico to finish or slab to east fork, then bolam and back out to slab or lime creek..that may be too ambitious..i would be interested in some form of that, maybe cutting out the little bear/bear creek for times sake since it is some of the harder stuff the san Juana has, and just trying for a good run on priest/calico. This should only be a small group of well seasoned singletrackers. Not for the noob or mildly curious..the other thought I had was a black bear over, Wilson mesa ST, take the backroads around to dunton and picking up calico or winter trail back there, duck to Rico for gas (or I could stash some prior) and again return via east fork...pulling either of these off would be a definite epic day!
Old 04-21-2013, 04:56 PM   #464
grub
Requires Supervision

Oddometer: 2,182
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainsandRivers View Post
Let's talk! I want to organize a ride with those as the goal..i had thoughts of Hermosa over to scotch, then attempting little bear or grindstone, then up priest to calico, down the Burnett connector to Rico for fuel/food and back up calico to finish or slab to east fork, then bolam and back out to slab or lime creek..that may be too ambitious..i would be interested in some form of that, maybe cutting out the little bear/bear creek for times sake since it is some of the harder stuff the san Juana has, and just trying for a good run on priest/calico. This should only be a small group of well seasoned singletrackers. Not for the noob or mildly curious..the other thought I had was a black bear over, Wilson mesa ST, take the backroads around to dunton and picking up calico or winter trail back there, duck to Rico for gas (or I could stash some prior) and again return via east fork...pulling either of these off would be a definite epic day!
This is a HUGE day, bordering on irresponsible and immature .

I like it .

Lets talk about it this next weekend.
Old 04-21-2013, 11:25 PM   #465
MountainsandRivers
loves dirty things!

Oddometer: 2,364
Quote:
Originally Posted by grub View Post
This is a HUGE day, bordering on irresponsible and immature .

I like it .

Lets talk about it this next weekend.
Cool. I was thinking about this a lot on the way back from Moab today. I think it would be more realistic to bomb it over Bolam and get Little Bear out of the way early while everyone is fresh, then head over to Priest/Calico, lunch at the Enterprise or Herks, gas up, and head back up to finish and back via East Fork. The reason I have to cut it a little short is I think it best to do this on Friday. Enduro-ince's band is playing in Silverton that night around 9pm. We will need to be back and ready to party and act like a bunch of white guys have rhythm that night. If we were to plan on Saturday, we will not have much sleep and would be setting ourselves up for failure from the start. Just my thoughts. Further discussion of this ride we should keep to PM's for now so we don't clog up the intentions of the RMAR thread with mindless chit chat about something that will require a psychiatrist's note certifying insanity as a prerequisite for the ride!