Fun Route

Brown Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 08:51 PM   #1159
Z50startedit
Mini Trail

Oddometer: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by zgfiredude View Post
Well, it was another awesome event. My family and I had a blast and will be back!!

My little story.....

Went for a fantastic ride on Friday with some old and new friends. Silverton to Lake City via Cinnamon Pass, back over Engineer to California to Hurricane and back to Silverton. Awesome day, awesome people, and awesome views. As we got to Engineer Pass, which is one of my favorite views anywhere, I knew that I wanted to take everyone over to the little point just past the official top of the pass. Those that have been there know it, 360 degree views that are an absolute must see. As we pull in, I am once again struck with the beauty of the area.....

As I am looking around, I notice an odd random piece of paper over in the scree rocks. I walked over to pick it up,
as I thought that it might be a piece of trash......but there saw a rock holding it down, that seemed odd.

Sheet music of some kind.............

Totally made my day!

To whomever placed this, my sincere thank-you for doing this......I shared it with several other riders as they
came up, and everyone was touched. Thanks!!

A final shot or two.....

Thanks Abbi for everything!

Thanks Silverton, see you next year!

** I'm really glad you got a shot of the music, it was a cool moment when you pointed it out... I looked down then realized what song it was.

Thanks for taking a new guy under your wing. It could be risky showing an Okie the Alpine Loop. I really enjoyed riding with you on Friday, and tying to keep up with Abbi both Friday and Saturday.
Old 08-08-2013, 05:22 AM   #1160
TBKahuna
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
Formulals1, Great video with sound track

Thanks for putting it together and sharing it. Went well with my morning coffee as I prep for the CAM 1000. Colorado has some freakin' gorgeous scenery which keeps me going back. Thanks again!
TBKahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 09:27 AM   #1161
spafxer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,586
After seeing all these pictures, I'm really sorry I couldn't make it to The RMAR Rendezvous this year......

Last year I sat in camp and saw headlights up on this mountain. What trail is this, and is it doable on a KTM 950 with a rider of reasonable skills? That view is incredible.. I love Silverton.
spafxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 09:45 AM   #1162
modette
RMAR

Oddometer: 4,263
Quote:
Originally Posted by spafxer View Post
After seeing all these pictures, I'm really sorry I couldn't make it to The RMAR Rendezvous this year......

Last year I sat in camp and saw headlights up on this mountain. What trail is this, and is it doable on a KTM 950 with a rider of reasonable skills? That view is incredible.. I love Silverton.
You can get to here:
http://goo.gl/maps/Gl6he

I got to here
http://goo.gl/maps/3VA7I

But that is very very very steep and very loose...no way try it on a 950 even if you are a pro rider.

That is this, I kept the camera level to show steepness the best I could on film. Hard to tell width, that steep area was as wide as my bike long, very nerve racking turning it around which consited of mainly sliding it and pulling...I would not even want to try on a heavy 950 then it be a drop it and drag it method....LOL

But otherwise yeah you can get up there, it's a steep Jeep road in general. Also checkout the spurs, one goes back to a huge mine...you might not want to try and go up to the mine as its was also very hard on a 2-stroke. Another spur goes back to cabins, an old mine shaft and an old bus...I posted the pictures earlier. I would highly recommend going up, well worth it for the views. A caution it is popular with the ATV, Side-by-Sides and Jeeps as its right there next to town.
modette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 09:52 AM   #1163
SteveO
Huh???

Oddometer: 1,187
Quote:
Originally Posted by modette View Post
You can get to here:
http://goo.gl/maps/Gl6he

I got to here
http://goo.gl/maps/3VA7I

But that is very very very steep and very loose...no way try it on a 950 even if you are a pro rider.

That is this, I kept the camera level to show steepness the best I could on film. Hard to tell width, that steep area was as wide as my bike long, very nerve racking turning it around which consited of mainly sliding it and pulling...I would not even want to try on a heavy 950 then it be a drop it and drag it method....LOL

But otherwise yeah you can get up there, it's a steep Jeep road in general. Also checkout the spurs, one goes back to a huge mine...you might not want to try and go up to the mine as its was also very hard on a 2-stroke. Another spur goes back to cabins, an old mine shaft and an old bus...I posted the pictures earlier. I would highly recommend going up, well worth it for the views. A caution it is popular with the ATV, Side-by-Sides and Jeeps as its right there next to town.

Next year, if we are in Silverton, I think this one should qualify as a night run. This would be super cool.

Life is a mist in the wind, here today and gone tomorrow; know who you are and where you are going after you pass through death's door.
SteveO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 10:08 AM   #1164
modette
RMAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveO View Post
Next year, if we are in Silverton, I think this one should qualify as a night run. This would be super cool.
I assume you mean without the gnarl of that picture...LOL Otherwise it be night time carnage fest up on the summit.

But yeah we should do a night time run, would not take long either. Just keep me from Captain Ricks travelling booze trailer...LOL
Old 08-08-2013, 10:16 AM   #1165
SteveO
Huh???

Quote:
I assume you mean without the gnarl of that picture...LOL Otherwise it be night time carnage fest up on the summit.

But yeah we should do a night time run, would not take long either. Just keep me from Captain Ricks travelling booze trailer...LOL
I'm thinking we could get up there just after the sun has gone down. Shine the LED lights around a bit, call the masses down below and then come down to join the party at Capt. Ricks.

Life is a mist in the wind, here today and gone tomorrow; know who you are and where you are going after you pass through death's door.
Old 08-08-2013, 10:19 AM   #1166
modette
RMAR

Glad I did not try and continue up...looks like it goes no where and might of been harder to turn around.

Old 08-08-2013, 10:31 AM   #1167
SteveO
Huh???

Quote:
Glad I did not try and continue up...looks like it goes no where and might of been harder to turn around.

hmmmmmm, I thought you could get all the way to the top......based on this shot it appears that you can't get to the top.....

Old 08-08-2013, 11:50 AM   #1168
WildTurkey
Beast Master

Oddometer: 1,359
...having trouble with this whole "can't" attitude...
I'm afraid we are going to have to prove the negative next year
Old 08-08-2013, 12:54 PM   #1169
SteveO
Huh???

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildTurkey View Post
...having trouble with this whole "can't" attitude...
I'm afraid we are going to have to prove the negative next year

Whoohooo, that's what I'm talking about there!! Saddle up and ride the night!

Old 08-08-2013, 01:25 PM   #1170
modette
RMAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveO View Post
Whoohooo, that's what I'm talking about there!! Saddle up and ride the night!
Well in that case, maybe if some of us come for the whole week, we could do a WDKRx2 (night time). At least that Jeep road into Hermosa creek will seem easy as no one will be able to see anything...LOL