Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-08-2013, 01:06 PM   #1171
SteveO
Huh???

Oddometer: 1,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by modette View Post
Well in that case, maybe if some of us come for the whole week, we could do a WDKRx2 (night time). At least that Jeep road into Hermosa creek will seem easy as no one will be able to see anything...LOL

ya know, I was thinking about coming up a few days prior to the event. Get in some more riding and sightseeing.

Yeah, the WDKRx2 would be epic....

Life is a mist in the wind, here today and gone tomorrow; know who you are and where you are going after you pass through death's door.
SteveO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 02:14 PM   #1172
backwoodsKLR
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,878
It was sketchy for me getting to the top in this:

About half way up is as far as I'd feel comfortable on 2 wheels. This loose rock and steep inclines would be tough. Several people on little light bikes did it but all I saw up there were ATV's. At the very top, where I took this pic below, I actually had to back the Jeep down 20-40 yards from a dead end. Mighty narrow and mighty loose! If you do it next year, let me run the Jeep up behind you with the camera mounted on the roof!

That's 550 on the far side:
backwoodsKLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 03:23 PM   #1173
modette
RMAR

Oddometer: 3,869
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveO View Post
ya know, I was thinking about coming up a few days prior to the event. Get in some more riding and sightseeing.

Yeah, the WDKRx2 would be epic....
I'm looking into helmet light systems now, even sent an email out to one to maybe cut RMAR guys a deal. We got plenty of time...but yes I am already working on next year prizes and stuff. It's never ending.
modette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 03:38 PM   #1174
WildTurkey
Beast Master

Oddometer: 1,310
Quote:
Originally Posted by modette View Post
I'm looking into helmet light systems now, even sent an email out to one to maybe cut RMAR guys a deal. We got plenty of time...but yes I am already working on next year prizes and stuff. It's never ending.
proven equipment Beta tester
Old 08-08-2013, 04:39 PM   #1175
Pomo
gonzo

Oddometer: 608
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebrabaek View Post
Ok..... Bummer. I looked around for your bike in camp this morning, and did not see ya. . That is too bad. I am not sure if it still is under warranty.... But I wrote this short trouble shoot of your charging system.....

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=809879

The stators have been known to fail on these, due to overheat, and as such I am running a mosfet R/R.
That thread can be seen here....

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=781564

Anyway, John at Sandia is a good man. Tell him hi please.

Erling
Well for those interested it turned out that it was indeed my stator. Not under warranty. My wallet is soon to be considerably lighter.

Thanks for the links Erling, I'll definitely be looking into the MOSFET R/R. I do like the guys at Sandia, but they had absolutely nothing to say about what caused the failure (though I have read the mega-thread in Parallel Universe). Just said "it probably won't happen again." Hopefully it doesn't become a trend every 25k miles.

My pics should be incoming eventually. I didn't have time to look through them before I went on vacation part 2 on the east coast. Party hard and all that.

"It's supposed to be a challenge, that's why they call it a shortcut. If it was easy it would just be the way." ~ Rubin, Road Trip

Pomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 06:03 PM   #1176
MountainsandRivers
loves dirty things!

Oddometer: 1,917
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildTurkey View Post
proven equipment Beta tester
as far as I could tell, I was the only Beta tester! Ha ha! everyone else was riding more common bikes...except maybe Mark..
I am hoping to add a trail tech single helmet light with Li-on battery to the kit soon for night escapades. It will pay for itself quickly if it keeps me out of the bars during events like this!
Old 08-09-2013, 05:34 AM   #1177
gbmaz
Power Newb

Oddometer: 365
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pomo View Post
Well for those interested it turned out that it was indeed my stator. Not under warranty. My wallet is soon to be considerably lighter.

Thanks for the links Erling, I'll definitely be looking into the MOSFET R/R. I do like the guys at Sandia, but they had absolutely nothing to say about what caused the failure (though I have read the mega-thread in Parallel Universe). Just said "it probably won't happen again." Hopefully it doesn't become a trend every 25k miles.

My pics should be incoming eventually. I didn't have time to look through them before I went on vacation part 2 on the east coast. Party hard and all that.
Pat-

That sucks about the stator, but it shows your diagnostics were on the money. You should definitely bring your smaller bike with you next year and ride some gnarly stuff to purge the demons of this year. Perhaps you can even slay the "Curse of Wager Gulch".

"You have never really lived until you have done something for someone who can never repay you."
gbmaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 12:49 PM   #1178
Pomo
gonzo

Oddometer: 608
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbmaz View Post
Perhaps you can even slay the "Curse of Wager Gulch".

At least I won't be the only one who has a "date with destiny" in the Gulch of Many Mishaps.

"It's supposed to be a challenge, that's why they call it a shortcut. If it was easy it would just be the way." ~ Rubin, Road Trip

Pomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 06:54 PM   #1179
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,067
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pomo View Post

Ouch..... Here is the good thing though. If you look at the new flywheel that came with your new stator ( thus the heftig price tag) it has holes drilled in it, for sloshing oil on the stator venting heat away. It is a known thing on the 8GS, and BMW have been a bunch of idiots recognizing it....among other things. The mosfet will help, but the series be better. I am thinking about the series r/r. If your interested, and on a budget, I would sell you my Mosfet, for cheaps, as I upgrade.... Just a thought. You were on the low mileage end, as most fail about 50K. Sorry....

What year was it...... If they deny warenty inside the 3 year/36k Miles with a know defect ( do not let them kid you , and John knows this as well) then you have a good case, as it should have been covered.....and might be worth a fight. Now back to the regular scheduled programming....:) :)

Erling
ebrabaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 07:14 PM   #1180
rush2112_2112
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 144

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk 2

rush2112_2112 screwed with this post 08-12-2013 at 05:05 AM
rush2112_2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 09:44 PM   #1181
Knightwork
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 834
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveO View Post
Whoohooo, that's what I'm talking about there!! Saddle up and ride the night!
Well this should be very interesting ----since I hope to have a jeep out there along with Frau Brueller--I would love to go and take some pictures of the night time ride

'09 R1200GSA (Frau Brueller)

Knightwork screwed with this post 08-11-2013 at 11:15 PM
Knightwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 07:33 AM   #1182
SteveO
Huh???

Oddometer: 1,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightwork View Post
Well this should be very interesting ----since I hope to have a jeep out there along with Frau Brueller--I would love to go and take some pictures of the night time ride

With the ADVMonster Flood and Spot LED lights, it shouldn't be too difficult at night.

Life is a mist in the wind, here today and gone tomorrow; know who you are and where you are going after you pass through death's door.
SteveO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 04:23 PM   #1183
modette
RMAR

Oddometer: 3,869
opsie
modette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 07:39 AM   #1184
GSDiva
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
Awesome Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by formulals1 View Post
Some more vid from that week of riding. Some highlights of the 200 miles packed into this.

Your video is spectacular! SRV was a perfect choice for the soundtrack. What a wonderful ride that must have been!
Old 08-17-2013, 01:36 PM   #1185
formulals1
Semi-Adventurer

Oddometer: 288
Too kind, thanks.
formulals1 is offline   Reply With Quote