ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-02-2005, 10:51 AM   #1
Stosh23 OP
Retrieval Expert
 
Stosh23's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Location: Kirkland,WA
Oddometer: 622
Accident on the Viaduct 6/3

Anyone have any info on the rider that hit a cement post and dies this morning?

GOD's SPEED to the rider !!!!!!!!!

Stosh
__________________
He's Back ! Part 2

06 ST1300
Stosh23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 11:09 AM   #2
tsombrero
Beautiful Snowflake
 
tsombrero's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2005
Location: Seattle
Oddometer: 27
Scary stuff.
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...cyclist02.html
__________________
Tennessee Sombrero
2003 Caponord
The Falcon: 1988 Syncro Westy
Part of the Problem since 1970
tsombrero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 11:28 AM   #3
gentry
For Reasons Unknown...
 
gentry's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Location: Houston, TX
Oddometer: 3,251
I live next to the Aurora Bridge and go back and forth down hwy 99 up to five times a day. If I had a dollar for every time Ive seen an R1, Gixxer or similar breaking 130mph down aurora in the wee hours. Ive even been cruising back at that time at a fast clip and been passed like Im standing still. Some of the Squids play games by doing the West Seattle to Greenlake run with the throttle opened, gambling that when they run the intersections, cross the Viaduct, do the tunnel and cross the bridge that there wont be anyone there (police included)....

When I was picking up my Bandit yesterday standing with Eric out front of Seattle Cycle Center a Gixxer went by. The guy looked at us standing next to the bike and promptly revved up (in 5pm traffic) and pulled a very ugly wheelie. Eric and I were both "WTF?"

Not that I have any idea what caused this. Could have totally not been the riders fault. But coz' of the idiots on that stretch its pretty obvious that it will be added to arguments against Motorcyclists. Ive ridden over all manner of crap, oil, debris and garbage on aurora and sure as hell wouldnt have wanted to hit it any faster. The viaduct aint any better.

RIP and condolences to the family and friends.
__________________

gentry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 12:09 PM   #4
Stosh23 OP
Retrieval Expert
 
Stosh23's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Location: Kirkland,WA
Oddometer: 622
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentry
I live next to the Aurora Bridge and go back and forth down hwy 99 up to five times a day. If I had a dollar for every time Ive seen an R1, Gixxer or similar breaking 130mph down aurora in the wee hours. Ive even been cruising back at that time at a fast clip and been passed like Im standing still. Some of the Squids play games by doing the West Seattle to Greenlake run with the throttle opened, gambling that when they run the intersections, cross the Viaduct, do the tunnel and cross the bridge that there wont be anyone there (police included)....

When I was picking up my Bandit yesterday standing with Eric out front of Seattle Cycle Center a Gixxer went by. The guy looked at us standing next to the bike and promptly revved up (in 5pm traffic) and pulled a very ugly wheelie. Eric and I were both "WTF?"

Not that I have any idea what caused this. Could have totally not been the riders fault. But coz' of the idiots on that stretch its pretty obvious that it will be added to arguments against Motorcyclists. Ive ridden over all manner of crap, oil, debris and garbage on aurora and sure as hell wouldnt have wanted to hit it any faster. The viaduct aint any better.

RIP and condolences to the family and friends.
When I saw the story I thought of you and am glad it wasnt.

Enjoy
__________________
He's Back ! Part 2

06 ST1300

Stosh23 screwed with this post 06-02-2005 at 12:47 PM
Stosh23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 12:19 PM   #5
L.A.
Regular Guy™
 
L.A.'s Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2003
Location: Tallahassee, FL
Oddometer: 1,305
A co worker read the news on the Seattle PI website this morning. It's sad and I'm terribly sorry to hear that the rider lost his life and am sorry for the loss to his family and friends. It sounds like some excessive speed was involved for the debris to have scattered over 300 feet. It's a tradgedy nevertheless.
__________________
'05 GS Adv. (Helga is her name)
IBA# 28348

"In their lifetimes, most people will never need a gun. Those that do will need one very badly."
- Gen. George A. Custer
L.A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 01:05 PM   #6
janders
Gnarly Adventurer
 
janders's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2004
Location: Seattle, WA
Oddometer: 375
Crap, I'm sorry to hear that. I remember reading the signs this morning coming into work saying 99 was closed south of the tunnel.

I wish the best for his family and friends. They'll need it for sure.
__________________
Confucius say: man who walks through airport turnstyle sideways going to Bangkok.
janders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 02:10 PM   #7
gentry
For Reasons Unknown...
 
gentry's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Location: Houston, TX
Oddometer: 3,251
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stosh23
When I saw the story I thought of you and am glad it wasnt.

Enjoy

Yeah, me too. Way too much livin' left to do... Makes ya stop and think though.
__________________

gentry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 02:29 PM   #8
toothy
Grin
 
toothy's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: Freelard
Oddometer: 14,178
Many sympathies for his loved ones.
__________________
"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.
(Eleanor Roosevelt)
toothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 04:36 PM   #9
RuneSpyder
Gnarly Adventurer
 
RuneSpyder's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Oddometer: 169
Quote:
300 feet
Nope, 300 YARDS
RuneSpyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 05:29 PM   #10
gentry
For Reasons Unknown...
 
gentry's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Location: Houston, TX
Oddometer: 3,251
99's got bad JuJu today. A green Subaru wagon and a white Ford Escort have smeared themselves down the side of the bridge.... Very ugly....
__________________

gentry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 06:13 PM   #11
Stosh23 OP
Retrieval Expert
 
Stosh23's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Location: Kirkland,WA
Oddometer: 622
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentry
Yeah, me too. Way too much livin' left to do... Makes ya stop and think though.
STOP AND THINK-INDEED.

Be careful out there fellow asylum members

Stosh
__________________
He's Back ! Part 2

06 ST1300
Stosh23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2005, 04:12 PM   #12
Just_Sean
herewegoagain
 
Just_Sean's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2005
Location: NOT Brooklyn
Oddometer: 14,504
flying

Quote:
Originally Posted by RuneSpyder
Nope, 300 YARDS
900 ft debris field??? if the bike slid that far, he was flying

Speed MPH = sq root [30 x Distance x friction(.55 for sliding bike)]
121MPH
Just_Sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 01:15 PM   #13
Kevy
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Location: Phoenixarizonaallthewayto Tacoma, WA
Oddometer: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlamedaK9
900 ft debris field??? if the bike slid that far, he was flying

Speed MPH = sq root [30 x Distance x friction(.55 for sliding bike)]
121MPH
Cool formula.

Is the distance in feet, yards, or inches? Do you have friction coeff's for other vehicles, surfaces?

It's always sad to see another biker go down like this. Condolences to the family and friends.

Thanks,
Kev..
Kevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 01:20 AM   #14
Just_Sean
herewegoagain
 
Just_Sean's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2005
Location: NOT Brooklyn
Oddometer: 14,504
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevy
Cool formula.

Is the distance in feet, yards, or inches? Do you have friction coeff's for other vehicles, surfaces?


Thanks,
Kev..
sorry -4got to subscribe and see the replies
distances in feet...friction coeff's vary - a good m/c rider with good braking can accomplish .90 to .95; rear only braking on asphalt, about a .45 (stops shorter laid down!!)...most cars, on asphalt, about .70 - .75. Slicker the surface, lower the drag factor - I have all my charts at work - sorry
Just_Sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 04:07 PM   #15
Kevy
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Location: Phoenixarizonaallthewayto Tacoma, WA
Oddometer: 69
From the geek in me.

Thanks, Sean.

Kev..
__________________
...I'll wear them down past the nubs, because at that point, they're just street tires with goofy shoulder profiles.
Kevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 10:26 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014