User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-13-2014, 05:52 PM   #1
rich tintera OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
Bent knees and pain

Is there anyone here who doesn't experience pain in the knees after a few hours in the saddle? I thought it was universal, but asking the question of "why the pain" in a message board devoted to answering questions of any kind has resulted in mixed responses.
Everybody gets that ache, right?

Old 07-13-2014, 06:02 PM   #2
CAW
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
I don't. 39 yrs old, riding since I was 4 yrs old.
CAW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 06:49 PM   #3
MacMcMacmac
Seahorse Farrier

Oddometer: 125
Getting old ain't for sissies.

At 46, I'm finding my knees getting kind of weak, with lots of crunching sounds, but no pain (yet). Hazard of working in the trades I suppose.

Oddly enough, I found my GS1100 harder on my knees than my 1200 Bandit.

Go figure.
Old 07-13-2014, 06:56 PM   #4
shupe
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 123
Back, yes. Butt, yes, eventually.
Knees are not a problem, and I have not so good knees.

"Experience has shown that it is preferable to use a comparatively large
motor running at a moderate speed in preference to a smaller motor running
at high speed."
-Harley-Davidson sales brochure - 1905

shupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 07:31 PM   #5
CajunRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 259
Sitting in one position for hours... yes. Pain in the knees.

Highway pegs are a must for me. Doesn't matter what bike... BMW R1200C, KLR650, V-Strom, Valkyrie, Goldwing, Triumph TBS... they all got to my knees after 2 or 3 hours unless I have highway pegs installed to allow for changing the angle every now & then.

The KLR & Goldwing were the worst due to having a 200 mile range... I end up having to stop before I run out of gas just to get off the bike and walk around a few minutes (or at least move my feet to the highway pegs from time to time).
CajunRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 07:31 PM   #6
RaystheBMW
1986 R65

Oddometer: 124
Yes to the knee pain. I'm 56 and 6'1", and after 2 hours on the airhead my knees are feeling tortured. I can go all day on a bike with forward controls.
RaystheBMW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 07:34 PM   #7
sraber
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 244
With age come worn joints. I couldn't hold up my Gold Wing without popping in the knees. Fused vertebrae didn't help much either. I had to move on to a scooter, and it is is fantastic! Try it for yourself.
sraber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 07:45 PM   #8
opticalmace
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
What bike are you on? The angle at which your knee is bent is probably something to think about. You could check http://cycle-ergo.com to see the geometry of your seating position.
opticalmace is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 08:04 PM   #9
MariusD
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 421
I was getting knee pain on my stock vstrom. I dropped the pegs 2in using an aftermarket kit, which helped some. I then bought aftermarket pegs that allowed for 2 mounting positions and gave me another inch of leg stretch. Now I dont get knee pain anymore. Did 250 miles yesterday, no issues today. Mod your bike till its right.
MariusD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 08:50 PM   #10
rich tintera OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by opticalmace View Post
What bike are you on? The angle at which your knee is bent is probably something to think about. You could check http://cycle-ergo.com to see the geometry of your seating position.
Yeah, the bike has a lot to do with it- it's a 2003 vfr800 and I have a 34" inseam. I did put on lowering blocks for the pegs, and it helps some (I think). The ergos aren't that bad, but after an hour or so I need to get off and stretch my legs. It's not agonizing, just annoying and I can go a lot further if I have to. Would be nice if there was something a little more effective than Aleve or Tylenol for a preventative measure. I honestly thought just about everyone got this ache.

Old 07-13-2014, 09:12 PM   #11
Cakeeater
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 811
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich tintera View Post
Is there anyone here who doesn't experience pain in the knees after a few hours in the saddle? I thought it was universal, but asking the question of "why the pain" in a message board devoted to answering questions of any kind has resulted in mixed responses.
Nope. No knee pain.

Highway pegs are the salvation. I do 1,000 mile days and my knees feel great if I can extend my legs and move around. Doesn't matter what kind of bike I'm on.

Cakeeater
Cakeeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 09:26 PM   #12
MariusD
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 421
Quote:
Yeah, the bike has a lot to do with it- it's a 2003 vfr800 and I have a 34" inseam. I did put on lowering blocks for the pegs, and it helps some (I think). The ergos aren't that bad, but after an hour or so I need to get off and stretch my legs. It's not agonizing, just annoying and I can go a lot further if I have to. Would be nice if there was something a little more effective than Aleve or Tylenol for a preventative measure. I honestly thought just about everyone got this ache.
I sat on one of the new vfr800s and quickly noticed the cramped position, relative to my strom and the n1k anyway. As much as id love to own a honda, they all seem to be built for shorter people, so I never bothered and wasnt surprised by the ergos on that new vfr800. You can attempt to resolve the issue, but ultimately it might mean u need a different bike.
MariusD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 10:25 PM   #13
bdonley
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 334
Arthritis is a bitch. Knee pain caused me to sell my RS1100 BMW. Got where it was just unridable for me. They've been replaced. Just left Laguna Seca. I can now fit a Ducati Panigale without pain! Gotta tell you, tho. Currently riding a "classic" Multistrada. One of the most comfortable bikes I've ever ridden. Great legroom....
bdonley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 10:38 PM   #14
mousitsas
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,592
Quote:
Do the exercise on the left for a few seconds every day. It won't be comfortable at all initially, but very soon it will.
http://images.teamsugar.com/files/us...7/virasana.jpg
No knee pain ever after.
mousitsas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 11:31 PM   #15
Gromit01
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
How old is the OP? I'm 53, and a year ago started to develop right knee pain and stiffness after an hour or so on the bike (Honda CB1300). I'd also get pain on weight-bearing with the knee bent, eg rising from a squat or kneel.

It persisted, so after seeing the physiotherapist, GP, orthopedic surgeon and having an MRI scan, I found out I have torn cartileges in both knees (not just the right one).

There's been some improvement since then, so I don't need surgery just yet. I just won't be buying any sportsbikes...

My 2c worth - if you keep suffering knee pain, go see a doc and find out what's going on.
Gromit01 is offline   Reply With Quote