User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-03-2015, 05:52 PM   #1
hoodedplover OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Flat battery while riding

I just got a flat battery while riding my Honda hornet which had not been started for 3 weeks. I rode for about 15 mins then in died?

I'm walking home to trickle charge the battery now but since I was riding it I suspect maybe it's an alternator problem or I have blown a fuse?

What are people's thoughts ?
hoodedplover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 06:28 PM   #2
Beezer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,874
if the fuse is cooked you would need to figure out why. if fuses are OK, charge the battery. then get the bike running and read the generator voltage. if the bike charges, the battery is suspect
Old 05-04-2015, 06:38 PM   #3
Cogswell
Spudly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,572
Fully charge the battery and then have it load tested to see if it's any good.

If it's still good you can then start worrying about the other things.......

Mike
The good thing is, your damn motor can't read. If it says oil on the container, it's pretty much OK to dump in there.... ED.
Cogswell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 07:36 PM   #4
Dave W.
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 212
We're you putting around at 2-3000rpm?

You have to spin the alternator enough to generate power.

Charge the battery, and ring that bikes neck a little bit when riding, particularly if it hasn't been. In service for a few weeks.
Dave W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 08:05 PM   #5
Unstable Rider
Moto Fotografist

Oddometer: 2,628
Replace it with a modern battery, an AGM- absorbed glass mat and not an old school battery. Many old "wet" cell batteries can or have croaked after one season/one winter of use.
Unstable Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 04:40 PM   #6
B02S4
Aye

Oddometer: 1,092
A lot of batteries get replaced too early because of bad R/R'...get a known good volt meter...with the bike warmed up, what is the voltage across the terminals at idle & at 3k rpm?
B02S4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 06:00 AM   #7
strongbad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 486
^this^

Use a voltmeter across the battery and start the engine. Rev the engine. You should see charging voltage of about 13.5V to 14.5V.
strongbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 07:56 AM   #8
NCStephen
Riding NC

Oddometer: 3,057
over time I have had something similar happen 4 times.
Once on the RC51 it began to run really bad. It was still running but cutting out and backfiring etc but still running and I had 25 miles left to get home. At the shop the mechanic said he had seen such behavior with other Hondas when a battery connection had loosened. It was. Once tightened, all was good.

On the K12RS riding home noticed the GPS screen dim and that the bright light indicator seemed dim. Shut off all needed lights and accessories as I had another 10 miles home. Getting off the interstate for the last 2 miles the alternator light showed once RPMs dropped. It then would never completely go out. In the last half mile home, the tach stopped working, and it was sputttering but still running as I parked in the drive. This time it was the alternator.

Recently on the K12RS, rode home the 35 miles from work and stopped for gas. At the restart the bike just barely turned over but did start. Took it home and figured it was the battery going bad as it was 6.5 yrs old. Lined up a new one at the shop and thought I would charge this one and get it checked, but 6.5 yrs is an old battery. When I put it on the charger, in less than 5 minutes on low 2amp setting, it dinged and was fully charged. Inspected things and found the ground connection loose. I snugged it up and all seemed fine. I rode around locally some, used the RC for commuting until I was confident that battery in the KRS was OK.
Things after that all worked like a champ.

Then a month later, same thing. At gas station a very slow turning starter. Got home and tried again. Just a click. Well again I thought this battery has expired. Waiting a few days and same results. Didn't charge battery, but did clean and tighten the terminals again (as that was one of the simple things- before work test, lights but just a click on start, cleaned and tighted, strong start), the bike turned right over strong as ever. Has been good commuting the last two weeks.

So check the simple things. If a fuse then I would wonder, What on that circuit has gone bad.
If the alternator, then get it running and do all the voltage tests.
If the terminals, clean and tighten and do basic voltage tests
If the battery, Charge and test. Still even with a battery that is all but dead, the bike should run once started. Well did the bike die while riding it (that seems to be not the battery) that seems funny on a short trip. Mine made it 10 miles after the voltage drop was noticed when the alternator died.

Let us know what you find.

NCS
76 Pillion Rider Ver 1.0
Give a holler, get a smile.
NCStephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 08:19 AM   #9
thisisbenji
Adventurer

Oddometer: 76
Ah.... this happened to one of my buddies. His charging system went out on the highway and before we knew it the bike was melting the plastics around the exhaust pipe. Ended up being the rectifier or something like that.

thisisbenji is offline   Reply With Quote