User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-16-2014, 03:18 PM   #1
to_rider OP
n00b

Oddometer: 3
TDM 900 opinions

Heading out on my first big trip, a week in Croatia. I've got a recent-model TDM900 ABS waiting for me there.

I'm a smaller guy (5'9", 135lbs) and usually ride a downtown-friendly 250 these days. Was chatting with someone at my local bike shop today who was a bit skeptical about my bike choice.

Do you guys like the TDM? It looked like a decent approachable all-rounder in spite of the CC. And ABS sounds handy. I'm not worried about the temptations of the extra power (discipline and scenic cliffs will keep me in line). But is this thing a lumbering hulk that I'm going to hate? Any tips on the transition up to a significantly higher displacement?
to_rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 12:35 AM   #2
superspeed123
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
The most important thing is enjoy the bike and just ride . Make sure you are comfortable sitting on the bike and you can flat foot while on the bike. TDM is a good choice with a reliable engine with good range.
Old 08-17-2014, 01:09 AM   #3
mousitsas
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,651
Never owned one, but I never came to terms with the riding position either. Other than that, I think it is a good do-it-all bike.
Literally, every other big bike in greece is a tdm.
mousitsas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 02:14 AM   #4
shadowjack
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 106
DISCLAIMER: I have had a '96 MkII TDM850 for 85.5k kms, and have briefly ridden a 900.

Head to www.carpe-tdm.net for all you need to know about these fine machines.

The 900 masses around 190 fully-fuelled-kilograms, lighter than the 850's 230 (approximately). I find them easy-ish to move around, but coming from a 250 you might notice the difference. Might take a bit to get used to, but they are a forgiving bike. Again, carpe-tdm is the user group to ask your questions of - friendly and helpful. TDM's of the various types seem to be popular in Europe - and I like mine.
Old 08-18-2014, 12:45 AM   #5
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Oddometer: 6,692
Quote:
Originally Posted by to_rider View Post
Heading out on my first big trip, a week in Croatia. I've got a recent-model TDM900 ABS waiting for me there.

I'm a smaller guy (5'9", 135lbs) and usually ride a downtown-friendly 250 these days. Was chatting with someone at my local bike shop today who was a bit skeptical about my bike choice.

Do you guys like the TDM? It looked like a decent approachable all-rounder in spite of the CC. And ABS sounds handy. I'm not worried about the temptations of the extra power (discipline and scenic cliffs will keep me in line). But is this thing a lumbering hulk that I'm going to hate? Any tips on the transition up to a significantly higher displacement?
TDM is the PERFECT choice for our roads here, especially the roads along the
coast line. It's fuel efficient like a 250, light handling like a 250 and has more
then enough power.

Be careful with the right wrist however since it has instant torque everywhere
and that'll be the biggest difference from a 250.

I'm in Osijek, Croatia, leaving tomorrow to Zadar, Croatia (over Karlovac-Senj), which is basically covering some of the best roads here.

Drop me a pm if you need any info but I'll be on the bike whole day tomorrow so I might be slow to answer perhaps. :)

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote