Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-04-2013, 12:39 PM   #1741
dduelin
Oh boy that was close

Oddometer: 1,268
The March issue of BIKE road reviewed the CB1100 and loved it. I don't have the issue in front of me but I remember this detail: Honda designed the valve timing on cylinders 1 and 4 to be slightly different from 2 and 3 in order to introduce subtle variations in combustion cycles and create a bit of non-perfection as in "character". A byproduct is a lovely warble in the exhaust tone when going up thru the gears.

Dave
dduelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 12:45 PM   #1742
dirtdreamer50
long time rider

Oddometer: 1,016
Yep. Someone else posted that info somewhere within the 117 pages of this thread, but seeing magazines noting that detail is good. Wish we could hear the difference between symmetrical valve timing and the altered version used on the 1100.
dirtdreamer50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 01:17 PM   #1743
The other Ferret
Motorcycle nut

Oddometer: 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by dduelin View Post
The March issue of BIKE road reviewed the CB1100 and loved it. I don't have the issue in front of me but I remember this detail: Honda designed the valve timing on cylinders 1 and 4 to be slightly different from 2 and 3 in order to introduce subtle variations in combustion cycles and create a bit of non-perfection as in "character". A byproduct is a lovely warble in the exhaust tone when going up thru the gears.
Dduelin from ST-Owners.com? Cool!
The other Ferret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 02:08 PM   #1744
siyeh
Lawn Nazi

Oddometer: 1,466
Just got off the phone with my dealer. HE called me. He has three CB1100's ordered. His Honda guy just told him he is getting two in late April. My non abs and one abs.
oh well
siyeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 02:56 PM   #1745
M3-SRT8
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by siyeh View Post
Just got off the phone with my dealer. HE called me. He has three CB1100's ordered. His Honda guy just told him he is getting two in late April. My non abs and one abs.
oh well
Hey, I wouldn't sweat it.

Late April? Perfect. Just in time for the roads to be cleared of winter grit.
M3-SRT8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 03:10 PM   #1746
tiki01
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
This bike really looks good to me, especially in the white. It had a crowd around it at the NY motorcycle show. I should have waited my turn and sat on it to see how it felt. Any thoughts on how it would do two up?
tiki01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 03:34 PM   #1747
The other Ferret
Motorcycle nut

Oddometer: 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiki01 View Post
This bike really looks good to me, especially in the white. It had a crowd around it at the NY motorcycle show. I should have waited my turn and sat on it to see how it felt. Any thoughts on how it would do two up?
Heck a lot of people toured 2 up with fairing, bags and trunk on the original 65 hp 750. Its not a Goldwing, but it should do fine. I am. Little. Concerned with passenger comfort looking at the shape of the seat.
The other Ferret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 03:40 PM   #1748
Jim K.
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 766
shocking!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtdreamer50 View Post
"US Federal law dictates any new bike made after March 1980 has a headlight which is always on."

I bought a CB 550K, new, in '77. Headlights were on all the time. The alternator cover had a tiny flaw in the clearcoat, so at the 500 mi check I mentioned it. The dealer didn't have a '77 cover in stock, but he did have a '76. We laid both on the counter & examined & measured them & they looked identical, so I had him put on the '76 cover. Leaving the dealer, the bike sputtered & I reached down to flip on the petcock (no gloves in those days) The petcock was HOT! I mean electrically HOT! I got a fair sized jolt! It took about 15 seconds to figure out that electricity & a 4.5 gal tank of gas & fumes was a potential problem. Especially tucked between my legs. Switch off & push it back to the dealer (uphill, of course) It turns out that Honda had added about 1/8" of extra winding to the alternator to handle the extra lighting load, just enough to touch the inside of the alt. cover & somehow electrify the whole frame. Needless to say, I learned to live with the minor blemish in the '77 cover.
Jim K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 03:48 PM   #1749
dirtdreamer50
long time rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim K. View Post
I bought a CB 550K, new, in '77. Headlights were on all the time. The alternator cover had a tiny flaw in the clearcoat, so at the 500 mi check I mentioned it. The dealer didn't have a '77 cover in stock, but he did have a '76. We laid both on the counter & examined & measured them & they looked identical, so I had him put on the '76 cover. Leaving the dealer, the bike sputtered & I reached down to flip on the petcock (no gloves in those days) The petcock was HOT! I mean electrically HOT! I got a fair sized jolt! It took about 15 seconds to figure out that electricity & a 4.5 gal tank of gas & fumes was a potential problem. Especially tucked between my legs. Switch off & push it back to the dealer (uphill, of course) It turns out that Honda had added about 1/8" of extra winding to the alternator to handle the extra lighting load, just enough to touch the inside of the alt. cover & somehow electrify the whole frame. Needless to say, I learned to live with the minor blemish in the '77 cover.
It's amazing what Google has done for us. A quick check now would have shown that the 76/77 items had different part numbers. Glad all worked out OK back then, so you are still around to compose your post.

Interesting what I found using Google differed with your 77 Honda, but maybe they started keeping the lights on before the Government mandated it.
Old 03-04-2013, 03:57 PM   #1750
siyeh
Lawn Nazi

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3-SRT8 View Post
Hey, I wouldn't sweat it.

Late April? Perfect. Just in time for the roads to be cleared of winter grit.
ya I'm good

there are two other bikes in the garage to ride til it gets here
Old 03-04-2013, 04:47 PM   #1751
dpg
Adventurer

Oddometer: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by dduelin View Post
Well if that doesn't give it enough character I'll just pull a spark plug. That oughtta give it all the character of say....a Harley?
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 05:02 PM   #1752
dirtdreamer50
long time rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpg View Post
Well if that doesn't give it enough character I'll just pull a spark plug. That oughtta give it all the character of say....a Harley?
Gotta pull two plugs, but it still won't get that potato-potato sound.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHIUgDn9KrU

You'd swear it's gonna die any second, but it's just the cams and carbed. Can't get FI to idle that slowly...
Old 03-04-2013, 05:31 PM   #1753
Guth
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by siyeh View Post
oh well
As in he's only getting two and no more, or the third one is coming in sometime later?
Guth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 05:42 PM   #1754
M3-SRT8
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtdreamer50 View Post
Gotta pull two plugs, but it still won't get that potato-potato sound.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHIUgDn9KrU

You'd swear it's gonna die any second, but it's just the cams and carbed. Can't get FI to idle that slowly...
Crude. Just plain crude.

Reminds me of some agricultural engine from 1910. You know, the kind with the automatic intake valves.
M3-SRT8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 06:00 PM   #1755
siyeh
Lawn Nazi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guth View Post
As in he's only getting two and no more, or the third one is coming in sometime later?
This dealer had originally ordered four in January. He had deposits on three and wanted one for "shop use".
One guy backed out so he dropped his order to three. His area guy told him Friday, he was getting two in April and one on the second go round. His area guy did not tell him when the second go round was. My dealer is very disappointed. He has had much interest in this bike and you can't sell what you don't have,,,