Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-05-2013, 07:42 AM   #2686
Scoobynut
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 429
A fair, honest impression, dpg. I guess most of us are so smitten with Ms. Johanssen, uh, I mean the CB1100, that we don't see any nits to pick, when realistically there are a few areas that one could at least have a debate about. But despite these few minor lapses, which have to be down to just cost-saving on Honda's part, I have no doubt the parts themselves will be just as durable and functional as any other part of the bike.

In any case, all of the criticisms you mention have been addressed by the Japanese aftermarket -- see japan.webike.net -- right down to a metal sprocket cover.

Granted, these parts aren't readily available in the U.S., but with enough demand that could change.

Myself, I hope Corbin and Sargent are already hard at work on a replacement seat that doesn't stray too far from the appearance of the stock seat.
2008 Yamaha WR250R
1988 Honda Hawk GT
Scoobynut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 07:55 AM   #2687
WantToRideMoar
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 299
Jeez, it sounds like this bike is a hot-demand, back-order situation. I guess the assertion that classic standard riders are cheap bastages that don't buy new bikes isn't holding up quite so well.

I'm 1 year in to a new Honda Shadow so I'm unlikely to buy another new bike or trade my current one in, but another couple years and I will consider it... around the 40-50k range on the Shadow probably.

I hope demand on this bike spawns a whole series of rivals from Triumph, Kawasaki, Moto Guzzi and others. I like its lines. And the engine size is exactly where I'm shopping for my next bike. I like my 750, but I want to get into something around the liter size for my next bike.
WantToRideMoar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 08:17 AM   #2688
Dynaguy
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Ok, I've had my bike for just over a week now, so with a few miles on her, I thought I would share my thoughts.

Visually, as others have noted, the bike is quite striking. When riding it, I've noticed a lot of turned heads and drivers prodding passengers to have a look. The overally impression is one of very high quality. Yes, there are some plastic bits and pieces here and there, but make no mistake, Honda's manufacturing and engineering abilities are fully on display here. I have had a lot of fun staring at it. In fact, my brother came over last week after I got her home to see it and wouldn't leave. On Saturday, he went to the dealer and bought the other CB the dealer had on hand.

Now as to riding. I'm fortunate enough to have a number of bikes in the garage, so I can compare the CB to its stablemates. To sum up, this is a very fine "standard" motorcycle. The handling is not up to sport bike levels, but it will handle far better than most riders can take advantage of. I would offer the same observation as to horsepower. It is MORE than sufficient for any logical use one might make of it. The ride is smooth and the transmision shifts very well. Roll on acceleration while not mind blowing, will certainly blow just about any four wheeled challenger into the weeds.

The control layout is fine for me, although, I might like the handlebars to be an inch or so lower. I'm 5'10" and 165, so otherwise, it is a great fit.

The sound is mellow. Too quiet for me, so I ordered a slip on from Japan. Should arrive next week and I'll post what I learn from installing it.

I am very happy with this purchase. Don't buy one if you want to go unnoticed.
Dynaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 08:45 AM   #2689
Tommy J
Dockworker

Oddometer: 85
Checking in from Seattle with #0749. My last CB was a '79 750F so when the word was out on this new model I couldn't wait to see one at the show here in December. After sitting on one it was a done deal with a down payment. So far this bike is everything I thought it would be and is perfect for back and forth to work and around the city.
'75 HONDA CB400F
Tommy J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 08:55 AM   #2690
Scoobynut
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy J View Post
Checking in from Seattle with #0749. My last CB was a '79 750F so when the word was out on this new model I couldn't wait to see one at the show here in December. After sitting on one it was a done deal with a down payment. So far this bike is everything I thought it would be and is perfect for back and forth to work and around the city.
Congrats, Tommy! Like you I sat on one at the show (Minneapolis) and I was done for. My buddies were getting annoyed because I kept ditching them to sneak back to the CB1100.
2008 Yamaha WR250R
1988 Honda Hawk GT
Old 04-05-2013, 09:00 AM   #2691
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Oddometer: 9,809
Quote:
Originally Posted by kraven View Post
Especially with this beauty.

Sometimes Scarlett Johanssen is enough in just a red dress and 1 or 2 tasteful diamond bits added.

The name of my CB1100F was Scarlett....

Originally Posted by Burnszilla
I was SO high, I could have hunted duck with a rake
Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
MX stuff isn't my cup of tea, but falling down the side of a mountain is
eatpasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 09:07 AM   #2692
Scoobynut
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynaguy View Post
Ok, I've had my bike for just over a week now, so with a few miles on her, I thought I would share my thoughts.

Visually, as others have noted, the bike is quite striking. When riding it, I've noticed a lot of turned heads and drivers prodding passengers to have a look. The overally impression is one of very high quality. Yes, there are some plastic bits and pieces here and there, but make no mistake, Honda's manufacturing and engineering abilities are fully on display here. I have had a lot of fun staring at it. In fact, my brother came over last week after I got her home to see it and wouldn't leave. On Saturday, he went to the dealer and bought the other CB the dealer had on hand.

Now as to riding. I'm fortunate enough to have a number of bikes in the garage, so I can compare the CB to its stablemates. To sum up, this is a very fine "standard" motorcycle. The handling is not up to sport bike levels, but it will handle far better than most riders can take advantage of. I would offer the same observation as to horsepower. It is MORE than sufficient for any logical use one might make of it. The ride is smooth and the transmision shifts very well. Roll on acceleration while not mind blowing, will certainly blow just about any four wheeled challenger into the weeds.

The control layout is fine for me, although, I might like the handlebars to be an inch or so lower. I'm 5'10" and 165, so otherwise, it is a great fit.

The sound is mellow. Too quiet for me, so I ordered a slip on from Japan. Should arrive next week and I'll post what I learn from installing it.

I am very happy with this purchase. Don't buy one if you want to go unnoticed.
Dyna, nice review, thanks for that. I'll be interested to hear how you get on with the slip-on as I too have ordered one for mine. Powerwise, I still think that we will all have a pleasant surprise in store once the bike is broken in and the motor loosens up -- and we're able to try out some sustained higher revs. My experience with my Yama Super Tenere is that power and smoothness increased noticeably after about 5k miles. I suspect that will also be the case with this equally modern, tight-tolerance motor.

It would be great if any owners would comment if they notice any changes in power and smoothness as the bike gets some miles on it. Well, the smoothness would be probably hard to improve upon, but it did change noticeably on my Yamaha, but that's a big twin-cyl.
2008 Yamaha WR250R
1988 Honda Hawk GT

Scoobynut screwed with this post 04-05-2013 at 09:38 AM
Old 04-05-2013, 09:19 AM   #2693
jimigalahad
n00b

Oddometer: 1
So I bought my cb1100a yesterday. 37 y/o 5'8.5" about 29" inseam. I can't quite flat foot it but it was in no way uncomfortable. I only got to ride it a few miles so far. Excited for the nice weekend. I'll try to get a good pic.

Initial impressions: I rode a gs500e for 2 years prior to this as my first bike. The cb1100 feels very similar in ergonomics, possibly even a bit more upright than how I had my 500 setup. After pulling out of the dealership, I felt completely comfortable in my ability to ride it. I do notice the extra 150lbs both in parking situations and riding/braking but I'm sure I'll get used to it. It's not uncomfortably heavy for me though since it carries it pretty low. No pillon riding yet but I'm expecting a much better experience with the torque and weight on the cb.

I have very little experience besides the parallel twin of the suzuki but I will say my first thoughts were how smooth the cb's engine is. Very little vibration, at least compared to what I'm used to. The gearbox is going to take some getting used to for me...it really "clunks" into gear. Also, a little harder to find the shifter with my foot. I think that is due to the cb having more things to get in the way than the gs500.

Someone is going to take one of these things, give it a cafe stance and a better sounding pipe(s) which will make me drool but I don't plan to make many changes, if at all, to the stock bike. I think it is just going to be so easy to get around on and use for all types of activities.
jimigalahad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 09:22 AM   #2694
dpg
Adventurer

Oddometer: 86
I forgot to mention. For some reason the cb11 looks absolutely amazing on its centerstand! And yes, good point, I'm sure any offensive parts to me can be replaced. I realize that a manufacturer can't make a perfect bike for everyone. Not knowing much about mods I am extremely curious to know how much you can lower the handlebars and what type of handlebars (i.e. clubman) are able to be fit to this bike. In all my exhausting google searches I don't think I have seen one with modified handlebars besides the Type II.

And for you Scarlett fans: Even if you don't like the song it is quite a stunning video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USiLOQFW3X4
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 09:24 AM   #2695
Dave in Wi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,891
Quote:
Originally Posted by eatpasta View Post
The name of my CB1100F was Scarlett....

Stop quoting that picture, it's distracting.

:-)
1988 DT50
"Daddy, it's five o'clock sometime!"
Dave in Wi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 09:31 AM   #2696
jamboa
jamboa

Oddometer: 845
pipes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobynut View Post
Dyna, nice review, thanks for that. I'll be interested to hear how you get on with the slip-on as I too have ordered one for mine. Powerwise, I still think that we will all have a pleasant surprise in store once the bike is broken in and the motor loosens up -- and we're able to try out some sustained higher revs. My experience with my Yama Super Tenere is that power and smoothness increased noticeably after about 5k miles. I suspect that will also be the case with this equally modern, tight-tolerance motor.

It would be great if any owners would comment if they notice any changes in power and smoothness as the bike gets some miles on it.
I love the Pipemasters 4 into 4 pipes but the cost is $2K.
13 CB1100F
12 Speedmaster
jamboa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 09:35 AM   #2697
jamboa
jamboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobynut View Post
Another one in silver, with no stripe, on a red bike:

If I get the red I will color match a Givi 760 bikini fairing and the side covers. If this bike sells we may have color choices on the 2014. Black on black looks good on Japan model.
13 CB1100F
12 Speedmaster
Old 04-05-2013, 09:40 AM   #2698
Scoobynut
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamboa View Post
I love the Pipemasters 4 into 4 pipes but the cost is $2K.
Likewise, I love the sound and even the look of the Pipemasters, but at that price, and losing the centerstand, I have to pass.
2008 Yamaha WR250R
1988 Honda Hawk GT
Old 04-05-2013, 09:42 AM   #2699
jamboa
jamboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by buck80mph View Post
please give your opinions...
You need to upgrade your signature if you are who I think U R! If this bike sells we hopefully will have a selection of colors for the 14 model. A bike like this can easily be set up to tour. I have a Bonnie and I would let U ride with me as long as the CB does not take all the attention away from the Bonnie. She is jealous about such things! LOL!
13 CB1100F
12 Speedmaster
Old 04-05-2013, 09:46 AM   #2700
jamboa
jamboa

soft bags by The Cycle Guys

Quote:
Originally Posted by The other Ferret View Post
I could have lived with that too, but I wonder if those top pipes will preclude mounting soft bags
The Cycle Guys can have their semi soft bags fit this bike. Their bags mount from the rear peg mount so it would have to be a rider only bike when the bags are installed. I have one set that fits my B King, Versys 650 and even a 11 Speed Triple.
13 CB1100F
12 Speedmaster