User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-05-2013, 09:46 PM   #2746
Guth
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 149
New CB1100 checking in from Portland

I've been fixating over this bike for what now seems like forever. Last year when I saw that Honda was getting ready to announce 6 new models for 2013, I anxiously awaited until the details were posted online. Later that very day, after no sleep, I put down my deposit on one. Today I picked it up and rode it home.

Was hoping to get to the dealer in time to take advantage of the break in the rain, but it just wasn't to be. So there I am, on my first brand new bike, and only my second street bike ever, headed out during rush hour in the damp, grey, wetness that is Oregon in the springtime. That brought a quick end to the only-truly-pristine-once excitement. I got soaked like a wet rat but barely noticed. That new bike smell coming off of the engine as I put the first few miles on the bike was intoxicating and the whole experience felt so surreal that I noticed little else around me, even while being surrounded by a sea of cars. It seemed like everyone was actually being extra cautious, giving me more than the usual amount of space to merge, switch lanes, etc..

Not too much terribly exciting to share as far as any kind of ride report goes, but what do you expect from rush hour bumper-to-bumper traffic? The CB1100 actually felt really good in traffic, easily pulling me along at low revs with minimal clutch work. The clutch engages right away and the bike is super easy to launch. Going down the road felt plenty smooth and the big CB felt extra solid, like a true quality engineered product very nicely put together. Before I hit major traffic, I did encounter some decent wind gusts going down the road and noticed that the CB1100 definitely felt more planted and stable than my little Hawk GT would in similar conditions. Ergonomics are surprisingly similar to my '88 Hawk and I instantly felt at home on the bike. I can tell that the big CB weighs more than my Hawk when pushing it around the garage or backing it into a parking spot for example. Once I got going I didn't give it another thought, just as others have mentioned. Super easy to maneuver at low speeds.

I'm 5' 8", 165 lbs. and have an inseam somewhere around 30". I can flat foot my CB1100 (#0079) at a standstill, but barely. At 50 years of age, I'm probably just the kind of guy that Honda had in mind as far as the average market profile for this bike. I grew up in the 60s/70s with a Dad that was a major Honda fan. Because of that we had some cool little bikes as kids including a Z50 to start with and a couple of XR75s and that was all it took for me. Like I said before, the '88 Hawk GT is my first street bike. I'm so freaking stoked that I'm finally able to add the CB1100 to my list of Honda experiences. I've never been so excited to buy an object ever before in my life. I've honestly almost hurled as I've been so overcome with excitement. It's truly a beautiful piece of machinery and brings back a lot of memories from my youth, even if it primarily evokes the machines that were mostly owned by adults back then. It's truly what I think of when I think of a "motorcycle". Awesome.

Now if I can just find a cheap enough way to get the cb1100forum.com going!

Here's a shot of the bike's "barren side" after getting it cleaned up from the ride home, along with my Hawk:

Guth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 09:54 PM   #2747
Guth
Gnarly Adventurer

By the way, when all was said and done, I ended up with the non-ABS version. I purchased my bike from MotoSport in Hillsboro and everyone that I encountered there was great to deal with. (For anyone that is a vintage dirt bike fan, MotoSport is a must see as the owner of the place has a very nice collection of old bikes on display.) My sales guy was Nick and they had one more CB1100 on the floor when I pulled away today. If anyone in the area is looking for the ABS version, check out Taylor Motorcycles down in Woodburn.

All the best,
Guth
Old 04-05-2013, 10:26 PM   #2748
cogitate
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,663
Guth, congrats! beautiful bike. As a fellow Hawker, I like your tastes in motorcycles.

Please write up a comparison: I know they are different, I4 vs V2, but I am curious how the CB feels to someone who has a Hawk. (yeah, I think Scoobynut has both, too)

My book "If You Look at Your Health in a New Way..." is available here
and as PDF here
available in Kindle format here
cogitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 10:42 PM   #2749
Guth
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks cogitate.

I'll be glad to share some impressions once I get some more riding time in. It's all so new to me, I've never even ridden an I4 before. Just from the little bit of time today, the bike feels like it has some nice grunt. It feels so solid to me, but that might be how most bikes feel these days. Compared to the Hawk, it doesn't feel all that much larger, although it looks bigger sitting next to the Hawk. As I mentioned, the ergonomics are surprisingly similar to those of the GT (unlike a lot of guys, I've stuck with the higher, stock clip-ons on the Hawk). The seat felt very comfortable to me (after a whole 25 miles of riding) and I doubt that I'll have any temptations to change it out. Low speed on/off throttle transitions are very smooth compared to the Hawk. I can't think of much more to add at this point. Both awesome bikes, each in their own way.

Guth screwed with this post 04-06-2013 at 07:37 AM Reason: fixed typo
Old 04-05-2013, 11:35 PM   #2750
Scoobynut
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 436
Quote:
Originally Posted by cogitate View Post
Guth, congrats! beautiful bike. As a fellow Hawker, I like your tastes in motorcycles.

Please write up a comparison: I know they are different, I4 vs V2, but I am curious how the CB feels to someone who has a Hawk. (yeah, I think Scoobynut has both, too)
Indeed I do. I haven't ridden the CB yet, it's still at the dealer. I'm heading to Denver on Sunday and won't be back 'til the following Sunday. It looks like my local area is supposed to have spitting sleet and snow for the next 5 days so hopefully it will clear by the time I get back and I can finally pick up my bike. Without having ridden the CB I think it will be a much better open road bike than the Hawk. I have serious doubts the CB will be as much fun to fling around town as the Hawk, but not many bikes are. I will do some back-to-back riding of both when the CB arrives and give my best shot at a comparo of the two. Oh, and I haven't forgotten about the clear bra tutorial -- it will happen the first night or two I have the bike I suspect.

I can't really comment on the CB's seat yet, but I will say that adding a Corbin to the Hawk transforms that bike as much as any other mod. You feel so much more connected to the bike than the stock, spongy seat -- I put the stock seat back on once just to see if my ass-o-meter was telling the truth, and after the Corbin, the stock seat felt like a spongy hinge in the middle of the bike if that makes sense. A lot of people complain that Corbins are hard, but I ride bicycles so it seems like firm luxury to me!
2008 Yamaha WR250R
1988 Honda Hawk GT

Scoobynut screwed with this post 04-05-2013 at 11:40 PM
Scoobynut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 11:38 PM   #2751
OldF7Guy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 290
Congrats Guth! I know what its like to get something new like this you are so excited about. I cant wait to hear more of what you think about it. I remember the z50's well along with the xr75'x myself. It seemed like a golden age back then for some reason with all the cool bikes. Now we have scooters instead of the smaller bikes that used to be street legal. My first real "big" motorcyle was one of these that I bought with yard mowing money. I literally rode it all over hells half acre. Back then there was no internet of course and nobody told me I could not tour on it.

Keep us posted!

OldF7Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 11:44 PM   #2752
Scoobynut
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 436
Forgot to mention -- diggin' the giant Honda banner, Guth.
2008 Yamaha WR250R
1988 Honda Hawk GT
Scoobynut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 03:24 AM   #2753
Plungerhead
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 108
Guth, glad to hear you got your bike home through the rain and traffic. Did you wipe the bike down before shooting the pic you posted? My first real ride on mine was in the rain and the bike's fenders didn't do a very good job of keeping the rain off the top of the rear fender and seat, and my girlfriends back was sprayed with road grime. The front of the engine took a lot of wet grime as well.
PM coming your way, too.
Jim
Plungerhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 05:04 AM   #2754
blazeone
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamboa View Post
The in line 4 buzz is totally different than the harley twin shake. The only thing I don't like about an inline 4 is the hand sleeping.
I have experienced no sleeping hand on long rides on my CB1100. All of my previous water cooled inline fours did it though.
blazeone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 05:10 AM   #2755
blazeone
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by 351Venom View Post
So the rear pulser "ring" signals both the speedometer and the ABS ?

There is no "rear only" ABS, the salesman is wrong. If it is an ABS model it will have front and rear ABS.
blazeone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 05:50 AM   #2756
Dave in Wi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,908
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldF7Guy View Post

Off topic I know, but, that was my first bike, in that same color scheme. I rode the wheels off of that thing. Nobody told me that two strokes needed new top ends every so often... At a bit over 20,000 miles at 70mph the piston let go. That was a sad day. I rebuilt it but it never quite ran the same after that. What a lot of fun for $110.
1988 DT50
"Daddy, it's five o'clock sometime!"
Dave in Wi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 06:10 AM   #2757
OldF7Guy
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in Wi View Post
Off topic I know, but, that was my first bike, in that same color scheme. I rode the wheels off of that thing. Nobody told me that two strokes needed new top ends every so often... At a bit over 20,000 miles at 70mph the piston let go. That was a sad day. I rebuilt it but it never quite ran the same after that. What a lot of fun for $110.
Dave, bought mine with 500 miles on it and sold it with 15,000 and change. Road it everywhere. I never had a lick of trouble out of mine. Two guys I knew had the same bike and basically rode them wide open and the Kaw took everything they could throw at it so I knew they were good. I didnt ride mine that hard but I rode it. These things would give 250's fits back in the day and were the stongest 175's by far. I think they had 18 hp and mine would run 75-80 with just me on it but I didnt weigh much at the time. I also had a Kaw 90(MC1M) and a Suzuki Trailhopper.

Its a shame you cant buy something like this now and we are stuck with scooters instead. Sorry to get off topic. Just like the CB I would kill if Honda/Kaw or somebody would bring back an enduro to the USA.

OldF7Guy screwed with this post 04-06-2013 at 06:22 AM
Old 04-06-2013, 06:13 AM   #2758
The other Ferret
Motorcycle nut

Oddometer: 269
CONGRATS GUTH. sorry your ride home was in such miserable conditions.

Added my second farkle...back anodized valve cover caps from Harbor Freight.
$1.49 for 4 ( they wouldn't sell me just 2)...... Damn this money pit
The other Ferret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 06:29 AM   #2759
Plungerhead
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by The other Ferret View Post

That's hilarious Ferret!
Plungerhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 06:42 AM   #2760
OldF7Guy
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The other Ferret View Post

Man, you are big spender for sure.