Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-26-2013, 01:48 PM   #3061
Dooga
Adventure Tourer

Oddometer: 285
Quote:
Originally Posted by INTP View Post
My name is Kevin and I live in the DC area, I look forward to riding with some of you all soon.
Welcome! Me too. Red and white Honda XR650L. Hope to see your gorgeous new CB11 on the road. South Arlington is my world.
Old 04-26-2013, 05:39 PM   #3062
jamboa
jamboa

Oddometer: 862
[QUOTE=ECN-ROL;21274928]Well I had a test ride of the CB1100 today. Just so I make myself clear I am a Honda fan. My first bike was a Honda and I have two in my garage right now. One of which as previously stated is a CB900F.

The engine: Very smooth engine, adequate but not great top end, but then again it wasn't designed as a sport bike. Would pull well from 2500 rpm onward in top gear. Very slick transmission, had no trouble with changing gear without the clutch. Fuel injection was good, but the throttle was very slack on this particular bike, and gave a false impression of jerkiness.

Riding position: I'm 6'3" and I found that I was having to sit rather far back for comfort, but I believe that is mainly caused by the handlebars which I personally find too high and curved back. With a lower bar the position would be fine for longer trips.

The finish: Is excellent as people have previously stated.

Brakes" Excellent brakes, didn't get to try the abs.

Ride: This is where I have some complaints. Quite frankly it was crap. The front and rear felt firm but there was little compliancy with road bumps, over sprung and under damped. The rear shock is the main culprit, it is obviously a very cheap product and would be the first thing I would change if I were ever to buy this bike. On slightly rough roads the bike pogoed all over the place, and at 200 lbs. I am not a light rider. On ultra smooth roads it was fine.

Handling: Considering it's weight it is surprisingly nimble, this being somewhat due to the small tire width sizes. You don't feel it's weight on the move. I found the bike steering overly sensitive and it didn't feel planted on the road, but to me this is due to the narrow tires and the rubbish rear shock. What this bike needs are 17" wheels.

Would I buy one? No. Overall I found it to be a rather bland bike, and I normally like bland. But I find this bike has no character, which is what a retro bike is meant to be all about. It'll be fine for the occasional rider who is basically an upright rider, but for anyone with more sporting pretensions this bike would not fill the bill. It might be worth $10,000 U.S. but it sure isn't worth the $13,600 Canadian in Canada.

Now if they bought the CB1300 to North America, I would definately want one of those. That's my idea of retro.[/QUO
U are a small minority but Your opinion is your right on ADV!
13 CB1100F
12 Speedmaster
jamboa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 08:02 PM   #3063
ECN-ROL
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 130
[QUOTE=jamboa;21276637]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECN-ROL View Post
Well I had a test ride of the CB1100 today. Just so I make myself clear I am a Honda fan. My first bike was a Honda and I have two in my garage right now. One of which as previously stated is a CB900F.

U are a small minority but Your opinion is your right on ADV!
Likes and dislikes of bikes is dependent on a riders tastes. I've ridden many bikes over 40 odd years. What impresses one rider doesn't necessarily
impress another. If we all liked the same bikes there would be no need for the manufacturers to make more than a few models. On the other hand, it seems to me there has been an uncommon amount of gushing over the CB1100, which isn't justified by the CB1100 demo ride I had today. Just my 2 cents worth.
ECN-ROL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 09:05 PM   #3064
dogjaw
plays well alone

Oddometer: 2,822
As a Nighthawk 750 and 919 aficionado, my impression of the CB11 was exactly the opposite; I was pleasantly surprised be how well it accelerated and how smoothly it turned in despite being heavier than the 9er... I still can't shake the jonesing for the new Honda.
Old 04-26-2013, 09:26 PM   #3065
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,808
Top end above real world speeds is completely worthless on a street bike. Give me low end anytime. I have not yet sat on the CB1100, but from the pictures the bars look to low and to far forward to me. I prefer to sit mostly upright, not all hunched over with a good part of my weight on the bars. Seriously painful. I figured the modern DOHC inline four would be a bit bland. Just too refined. I remember riding a SOHC 750 with 4 pipes, and it was not bland. A new exhaust might help with that, but I don't think it will ever have the character of the original. Most of the fuss over it seems to be because it is retro and not a cruiser. I get that, but it still misses the mark. I am not old enough to have owned a new SOHC CB750, it would be great to have a chance to do so. Honda needs to quit over refining things. Leave a little vibration and a throaty exhaust note. For a modern bike I love it. But it is still just a bit TOO modern.
1980 Puch moped
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 10:40 PM   #3066
Guth
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 149
Obviously people are going to have varying opinions regarding just about any bike you can think of. A lot of it has to do with the reference points that each of us have. The performance of the CB1100 keeps me happy and it's the most attractive looking bike I've seen in decades. For example, I'm guessing that the CB1300 is a great bike and with performance easily exceeding that of the CB1100, but it doesn't grab my eye the way the CB1100 does. Not even close.

As far as comparing old and new, here's a quote from the late Kevin Ash's review of the CB1100:

"This is very much a low and mid-range engine, as you'd expect, and it's strong and responsive here without threatening to rip your arms off. But the bike overtakes cars with little need to drop a gear and gets fast enough to be exciting and stretch the chassis. Some patches of tingling vibration come and go as the revs rise, but there's nothing intrusive, although at some steady motorway speeds you could end up with the odd numbed digit. This isn't an issue generally though, and the engine does have a pleasing, gravelly sound that's a more welcome characteristic from the past. Spin it into the red line above 9,000rpm and it feels flat, but that's not what the bike is about, and it has enough muscle for anything but harder sports riding, along with, ironically, more character than the original four-cylinder engines whcih inspired it."

CB1100 Forum
Guth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 05:35 AM   #3067
dogjaw
plays well alone

Oddometer: 2,822
Long live Ash!!! I expect we'll be quoting him concerning various bikes for years to come...
Old 04-27-2013, 08:00 AM   #3068
The other Ferret
Motorcycle nut

Oddometer: 269
We've had Harleys, BSAs, Moto Guzzis, KTMs and Ducatis in our family. IMO "character" is highly over rated, unreliable and expensive.

Give me reasonably priced, reliable and bland anytime
The other Ferret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 05:40 PM   #3069
OldF7Guy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 290
Quote:
Originally Posted by The other Ferret View Post
We've had Harleys, BSAs, Moto Guzzis, KTMs and Ducatis in our family. IMO "character" is highly over rated, unreliable and expensive.

Give me reasonably priced, reliable and bland anytime
I am with you on this one. I want drama free rides and reliable bikes. I am tired of having to fix what should have been fixed to start with.
OldF7Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 02:47 AM   #3070
M3-SRT8
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldF7Guy View Post
I am with you on this one. I want drama free rides and reliable bikes. I am tired of having to fix what should have been fixed to start with.
Yeah. I'll take flawless, creamy-smooth performance over 'character' anytime.
M3-SRT8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 04:35 AM   #3071
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Oddometer: 4,769
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3-SRT8 View Post
Yeah. I'll take flawless, creamy-smooth performance over 'character' anytime.
Yeah, but anytime you can get both, as with the 1100, it's a good day indeed.
Old 04-28-2013, 05:07 AM   #3072
saltspray
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
How does the power compare to the 80's CB1100F?

I'm not paying $10K for a retro bike with less motor.

Saw one in person...looks great.
saltspray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 05:10 AM   #3073
Dranrab Luap
E-Tarded

Oddometer: 30,030
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokeassloser View Post
We are picking up a CB1100 ABS model tomorrow for the wifey!And we are parking it next to this.

http://

It was love at first sight for both of us.They should make good stablemates.
Very cool!
Dranrab Luap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 05:43 AM   #3074
Milosh
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 106
Saw one yesterday

But unfortunately it was parked right next to a CB1000R.

If the CB1000R was styled a bit more like my old 1990 Honda CB-1 (400FL, not the "Big One") [read: perimeter frame] I would have bought it. Plus, the CB-1 had gear driven cams which sounds awesome.
Milosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 07:47 AM   #3075
Mobiker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,572
character vs bland

OK, granted some vehicles tend to "stir the soul" more than others and its different for everybody. There are people out there that would find a 427 Cobra in full song just loud and annoying (they probably don't like Willie Nelson either )

I've found that any vehicle can have character eventually, no matter how bland initially. 10 years or so ago, my dad gave me a 1990 Dodge Dynasty with a 150,000 miles on it. Certainly not a vehicle that an enthusiast would get excited about. I put another 50,000+ miles on it and came to really like the car. It was incredibly reliable. It only made 146 hp out of its 3.3L V6, but I never wished for more power. It was fun in the twisties, because I could take it to limit and not be much over the speed limit. I had to drive it.

My point is that the car has been places and done things. That gives it character.

For the record, reliability is my number one priority in a bike. If I can't rely on it to get me where I want to go, then nothing else is going to matter. Probably a sign of age
"If I was in a hurry, I'd left earlier."
Mobiker is offline   Reply With Quote