Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-04-2013, 07:46 PM   #3331
jamboa
jamboa

Oddometer: 845
Quote:
Originally Posted by darmahman View Post
Now that is a deal on the VFR..
Yea, I am trying to simplyfy the garage and sold 3 bikes and a trailer to get this.
Once I get the R100 sold I will relax.( need a duel sport, I think)
Come up some time and we can ride Stove Prairie and Poudre - have lunch at Mish.
My son & I are going to Ft. Collins July 28. We will swap rides as we travel CB11 and Bonnie both decked out as light tourers. Want to check out that 420 friendly when notriding of course!
13 CB1100F
12 Speedmaster
jamboa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 08:01 PM   #3332
jamboa
jamboa

Oddometer: 845
Pearl metallic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowlingballhead View Post
Still looks like a fridge.
I think a pearl metalic would do better than fridge white.
13 CB1100F
12 Speedmaster
jamboa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 12:02 AM   #3333
Tripl Nikl
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,361
What'cha guys think, would a Duc fairing look good on the CB1100?

I think it would probably work. And the visual trick of having a straight black line at the bottom of the tank? Clever.
Tripl Nikl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 01:47 PM   #3334
Eddy Alvarez
Addicited to ALL bikes!

Oddometer: 2,044
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav101 View Post
Found some time to take the CB out today and ride it for the first time...What happened today was non-descript I’m ashamed to say. I rode the CB through all my favorite twists and turns and when I got done …nothing. I remember thinking about what I might say here while out riding it for the first time. …nothing. I can’t even remember changing gears. The CB is what it is and I know it’s going to sound cheesy from an owner but golly, it’s perfect. No surprises. Wonderfully quiet. I thought I had some Zen like experiences breaking in the scooter out there in the middle of nowhere …moving along with no noise, no cars, just the wind and a lot of curious horses watching me from their fenced pastures but you really do forget the CB is underneath you. What happened today is kind of a blank. I took everything for granted without intending to. I can say it is my intention to keep what I have and stop looking at and buying bikes because the CB in my mind is the Crème De La Crème of them all. My ass has been spoiled.

My conclusions, I say to anyone out there who wants to know what the CB is truly like, just go ride one and you will see. You’ll see. It’s sublime. The biggest compliment I can give for this bike is the fact that nothing drew my attention. It does what a motorcycle should do and it looks like a motorcycle should look. How many years has Honda had to perfect the UJM? .
I had some time to kill and caught up on the thread. I haven't stopped by since March. A CB purchase has been put on hold after I blew my bike budget on a F800GS, a DRZ400S and a KTM 50 for my boy to replace his abused PW50. Anyways, I still love the CB and wanted to see the pictures/farkles that the new owners had posted. I still haven't seen a single one on the road. Per the local dealer who owns both dealerships, only two have been sold in Richmond, VA (both pre-orders) and there is one still sitting on the showroom floor.
I had to laugh at the review above...I know he means well and loves the bike but it made me chuckle. The review makes it sound like the most boring piece of vanilla tupperware ever made, LOL! I don't want a "wonderfully quiet, non-descript" Honda Civic! I want an engaging, fun, visceral and exciting bike like my Ducati Monster, my XR1200 Sportster or my old VTR1000! Maybe some aftermarket pipes will cure this "problem." LOL.

I found this nice video on YouTube. They interview several of the designers. It's 15 minutes long!

http://youtu.be/leMY993bhpI

Eddy Alvarez screwed with this post 06-06-2013 at 10:06 AM Reason: Add nice you tube link!
Eddy Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 01:34 PM   #3335
Dav101
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy Alvarez View Post
I had some time to kill and caught up on the thread. I haven't stopped by since March. A CB purchase has been put on hold after I blew my bike budget on a F800GS, a DRZ400S and a KTM 50 for my boy to replace his abused PW50. Anyways, I still love the CB and wanted to see the pictures/farkles that the new owners had posted. I still haven't seen a single one on the road. Per the local dealer who owns both dealerships, only two have been sold in Richmond, VA (both pre-orders) and there is one still sitting on the showroom floor.
I had to laugh at the review above...I know he means well and loves the bike but it made me chuckle. The review makes it sound like the most boring piece of vanilla tupperware ever made, LOL! I don't want a "wonderfully quiet, non-descript" Honda Civic! I want an engaging, fun, visceral and exciting bike like my Ducati Monster, my XR1200 Sportster or my old VTR1000! Maybe some aftermarket pipes will cure this "problem." LOL.

I found this nice video on YouTube. They interview several of the designers. It's 15 minutes long!

http://youtu.be/leMY993bhpI

Glad my review moved you Eddy, if you can call it a review - more of a first ride report. I wrote it with the intention of eliciting a chuckle or two as per it's title - "1st Ride - Nothing to Report."

I get the point you understand I love the bike but you ommitted a couple things from the original text you chose to quote from which kind of changes the context to skew towards your point about me making the bike sound so boring. "I could gush about how awesome the bike is and how great it does this and that but I never wanted to hear all that from new owners. No offense intended to you reviewers out there." It seems almost everyone gushes about their new bike no matter what they have... so I didn't write about fawning over it. But I could

The main point I was trying to make was after riding it for the first time I had nothing to regret on the decision to purchase. I thought I was making quite a bold statement when you consider what else you omitted from the original text... "In my garage right now I have a ‘13 MotoGuzzi V7 Racer, ‘10 NT700V (didn’t miss the shaft drive whine – I do remember thinking that today), ‘12 Triumph Scrambler 900, ’11 CB1000R, ’13 CBR250RA, and a ’13 PCX150 and If I had to give all but two of them up right now, I would keep the Racer (so much character) and the CB without hesitation. I have had a ST1300, a ’07 Tri-Color VFR800, 2 Nighthawk 750’s, a 600F4i, and a Reflex 250. After what I learned today I can say it is my intention to keep what I have and stop looking at and buying bikes because the CB in my mind is the Crème De La Crème of them all. My ass has been spoiled."

Putting that nugget back in there sort of changes the context of how the bike sounds now doesn't it? I was paying it the highest praise I can give it.

Anyway, I get why you joke about putting an after market exhaust on.

"I don't want a "wonderfully quiet, non-descript" Honda Civic! I want an engaging, fun, visceral and exciting bike like my Ducati Monster, my XR1200 Sportster or my old VTR1000! Maybe some aftermarket pipes will cure this "problem." LOL."

But when you do get the chance to ride one you will discover everything you have been reading about the new CB1100 is vastly understated. The bike rocks, but that's just my opinion. And that's all I will say - I don't want to start to gush

You and I are different types of riders. I'm older now and I like quiet. I don't want to hear much of the bike when I ride. The less... the better. The best kind of bike (for me) is the one that will disappear beneath you - and with a good fitting fullface helmet to block out the wind noise and keep it off my eyes, it happens easily for me on the CB1100.

I'm reminded of that old KLR video: http://youtu.be/M62y6BgvO-0

Different strokes for different folks
Dav101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 06:48 AM   #3336
2pofomo
I see dumb deer

Oddometer: 42
Wicked Silence is Golden...

+1 ... One of the best things you can say about some mechanical systems is that you dont even know that they are operating. Like music, a lot of it depends om your current mood, but having a great bike " disappear beneath me" while unwinding down a country road is just right for me most of the time... a day at the Track is something else though.

"There are two ways to learn: Reading, and talking to people who know more than you do."
-Mark Twain

"A Superior Pilot uses his Superior Judgement so that he doesnt have to demonstrate his Superior Skills". (from: "Wager with the Wind").
2pofomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 10:46 AM   #3337
Eddy Alvarez
Addicited to ALL bikes!

Oddometer: 2,044
A couple of very nice custom CB's....Enjoy.

http://ito-robbytherobot.blogspot.com/

Eddy Alvarez screwed with this post 06-07-2013 at 11:00 AM
Eddy Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 12:13 AM   #3338
Tripl Nikl
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,361
Nice!! As is probably obvious, I dig the CB1100 and what a blank slate it looks like to me. If it fits me, I'll be getting one some day, I'm sure of it.

That top on looks like it might be a Whitehouse tank that's been chromed. (Edit, nope, something else. Below is the Whitehouse mods)

Link for more: http://cb1100forum.com/forum/archive...hread-178.html
Tripl Nikl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 06:22 PM   #3339
MariusD
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 419
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav101 View Post
The best kind of bike (for me) is the one that will disappear beneath you - and with a good fitting fullface helmet to block out the wind noise and keep it off my eyes, it happens easily for me on the CB1100.

Different strokes for different folks
Sounds just like me describing my '12 vstrom 650. lol!

When I first saw the cb in a picture I thought "oh great... the 80s are back..."
but then I saw one at the dealership and sat on it. It felt right, and looked much better in person. I was impressed and really would love to own one now. And your review describes it as a bike that I would want it to be.
MariusD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 07:44 PM   #3340
SLOco.moto
dos ruedas adicto

Oddometer: 51
Damn! after reading through almost all of this thread I thought I'd find something to dislike about the CB. Now my lust for one is only stronger! I'm almost thinking about selling my Sportster and my SV to help fund it and I have no desire to search aftermarket exhausts either. What the hell is wrong with me?
SLOco.moto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 07:50 PM   #3341
merc16
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLOco.moto View Post
Damn! after reading through almost all of this thread I thought I'd find something to dislike about the CB. Now my lust for one is only stronger! I'm almost thinking about selling my Sportster and my SV to help fund it and I have no desire to search aftermarket exhausts either. What the hell is wrong with me?

I'm in the same boat with my Zed.
merc16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 10:23 PM   #3342
GoonerYoda
Hot Dickens Cider

Oddometer: 504
Do it! YOLO!
GoonerYoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 06:58 AM   #3343
siyeh
Lawn Nazi

Oddometer: 1,464
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLOco.moto View Post
Lust. Ha! Preaching to the choir. I traded in a perfectly good one year old bike for this classic rear end:

This motor is soo smooth and the brakes are top shelf
siyeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 08:13 PM   #3344
SLOco.moto
dos ruedas adicto

Oddometer: 51
Wow! Watching more videos of it just has me hooked now. Sounds so buttery smooth and that tranny is to die for. I'm diggin' the overall size too. I never had a 4 cyl. UJM but always admired them growing up (not to mention everything else motorcycle related), but I guess they just pegged me on their target consumer because they hit some nerve that I didn't even know still existed. Wish I hadn't skipped the IMS show, I'd probably have one by now. Summer nights cruisin'....ain't nuthin' better.

SLOco.moto screwed with this post 06-09-2013 at 08:38 PM
SLOco.moto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 06:55 AM   #3345
ExTex
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 209
4-cyl engines are great.
If my 4 carbs were Injectors, I'd never look at a newer bike than my 650 Nighthawk.

But, the CB1100 is surely tempting.

ride safely,
1985 Sabre 700.......Sold
1983 Shadow 500.... sold
2006 Ninja 500........ sold
ExTex is offline   Reply With Quote