ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-13-2013, 05:21 PM   #3376
dirtdreamer50
long time rider
 
dirtdreamer50's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2010
Location: texas coast
Oddometer: 1,016
I think that the time and speed mentioned came from Cycle World.

jamboa, would it pull to red line in 4th loaded like that?
__________________
Little Fauss: I was going faster than I ever went in my whole life, then I fell off.
dirtdreamer50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 04:10 PM   #3377
merc16
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: West Blocton,Alabama
Oddometer: 253
Question

So, I have a Z1000 that I'm thinking about trading in for a CB1100. The Zed is a nice bike, but lovin' the CB everytime I go to the dealer. Are there any CB1100 owners that were in the same predicament ? You had a more or less better bike performance wise but were drawn to the CB ? Did you regret it ?
__________________
2015 Yamaha FZ-07, 2003 Kawasaki ZRX 1200
2003 Kawasaki Z1000 (sold)
2006 Buell Ulysses XB12X (sold)
2002 Sporster 883 (traded for Zed)
1984 Honda V45 Sabre (sold and missed)
merc16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 05:22 PM   #3378
skysailor
Rat Rider
 
skysailor's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Kenora, Canada
Oddometer: 3,338
Quote:
Originally Posted by merc16 View Post
So, I have a Z1000 that I'm thinking about trading in for a CB1100. The Zed is a nice bike, but lovin' the CB everytime I go to the dealer. Are there any CB1100 owners that were in the same predicament ? You had a more or less better bike performance wise but were drawn to the CB ? Did you regret it ?
You'll miss the power.. I think the CB puts out something in the 70hp range. Perhaps less? Yours is well over a hun.
Lyle
skysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 08:36 PM   #3379
Gas Hog
Two Wheel Fanatic
 
Gas Hog's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: 7,000ft CO
Oddometer: 934
Quote:
Originally Posted by merc16 View Post
So, I have a Z1000 that I'm thinking about trading in for a CB1100. The Zed is a nice bike, but lovin' the CB everytime I go to the dealer. Are there any CB1100 owners that were in the same predicament ? You had a more or less better bike performance wise but were drawn to the CB ? Did you regret it ?
I had the '03 you have new, until two years ago. Power is a toss up. The CB runs like a sewing machine compared to the Z. Everything is smooth as silk. I like them both but this CB is pretty cool
If you can get a decent trade then go for it.
Gary
Gas Hog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 06:35 AM   #3380
merc16
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: West Blocton,Alabama
Oddometer: 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Hog View Post
I had the '03 you have new, until two years ago. Power is a toss up. The CB runs like a sewing machine compared to the Z. Everything is smooth as silk. I like them both but this CB is pretty cool
If you can get a decent trade then go for it.
Gary

That's what I like about the ZRX, the engine is much smoother than the Zed. The Z wants to: GO NOW!, and I'm not in that big of a hurry. Letting the Rex go is out of the question.
__________________
2015 Yamaha FZ-07, 2003 Kawasaki ZRX 1200
2003 Kawasaki Z1000 (sold)
2006 Buell Ulysses XB12X (sold)
2002 Sporster 883 (traded for Zed)
1984 Honda V45 Sabre (sold and missed)
merc16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 04:16 PM   #3381
Scoobynut
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: SW N. Dakota
Oddometer: 435
Quote:
Originally Posted by skysailor View Post
You'll miss the power.. I think the CB puts out something in the 70hp range. Perhaps less? Yours is well over a hun.
Lyle
CB1100 is rated at the crank variously as 86 or 87hp. Rider Magazine's test bike dynoed at 84.9hp so in reality it's probably somewhere in the neighborhood of 90+ at the crank. Mine seems plenty fast to me.
__________________
____________________________________
2013 Honda CB1100
2012 Yamaha XT1200Z Super Tenere
2008 Yamaha WR250R
1988 Honda Hawk GT
Scoobynut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 07:46 PM   #3382
NJ-Brett
Brett
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: Southern New Jersey
Oddometer: 6,189
I was at the dealer today and sat on the cb1100.
I found it felt amazingly light.
I also thought it looked very nice, nicer then the pictures I have seen of it.
Love the old school instruments.

I was really surprised at how small it is, small overall, and quite cramped for a 6 foot tall person.
I did NOT like the seat. It seems to slide you forward a LOT, giving you a reverse wedgie, and not much room for a passenger.
Leg room was tight for me also.

I think 1100, I think big bike, but its not, I think its almost the same size as my TU250, and feels almost as light sitting on it.

Maybe the seat works at 70 mph? Or 120 mph?


I also sat on a bolt, and it did feel heavy, and has a silly seating position, very uncomfortable for me. They are going after the sportster and got all THAT right...
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 05:13 AM   #3383
Gas Hog
Two Wheel Fanatic
 
Gas Hog's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: 7,000ft CO
Oddometer: 934
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ-Brett View Post
I was at the dealer today and sat on the cb1100.
I found it felt amazingly light.
I also thought it looked very nice, nicer then the pictures I have seen of it.
Love the old school instruments.

I was really surprised at how small it is, small overall, and quite cramped for a 6 foot tall person.
I did NOT like the seat. It seems to slide you forward a LOT, giving you a reverse wedgie, and not much room for a passenger.
Leg room was tight for me also.

I think 1100, I think big bike, but its not, I think its almost the same size as my TU250, and feels almost as light sitting on it.

Maybe the seat works at 70 mph? Or 120 mph?


I also sat on a bolt, and it did feel heavy, and has a silly seating position, very uncomfortable for me. They are going after the sportster and got all THAT right...
Brett,
Just snuck out for a ride last night. I have been amazed at how few complaints I have about this thing so far ..but I love the seat @6" 185 it fits great...very neutral.
merc16 was asking about the '03 Z1000..now that is a seat that will ride you forward!
I haven't got to sit on the bolt yet as no one here has one yet. Kind of anxious to see what the fuss is about.
Gary
Gas Hog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 05:16 AM   #3384
kraven
Hegelian Scum
 
kraven's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: Asheville NC
Oddometer: 4,762
I'd never let a seat deter me from buying a bike. In fact, I think it's silly that people do.
After you buy one and put some miles on it, your weight and riding pattern will tell you a lot more than a sit in a dealer.

Probably every bike you'll ever have will need some kind of seat work, especially if you're a little (or a lot) overweight, have odd bone structure, or your posterior chain muscles are grossly out of shape.
__________________
So there I was walking into a biker bar in Chattanooga with liberty spikes on my head and a drag queen beside me... - bcurvin
kraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 05:21 AM   #3385
Gas Hog
Two Wheel Fanatic
 
Gas Hog's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: 7,000ft CO
Oddometer: 934
I am amazed how many do a aftermarket seat first thing
The Z seat wasn't great, but you just learn to ride/ sit accordingly.
Gary
Gas Hog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 07:10 AM   #3386
skysailor
Rat Rider
 
skysailor's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Kenora, Canada
Oddometer: 3,338
Quote:
Originally Posted by kraven View Post
I'd never let a seat deter me from buying a bike. In fact, I think it's silly that people do.
After you buy one and put some miles on it, your weight and riding pattern will tell you a lot more than a sit in a dealer.
Never come across a bike yet that has a stock seat that "works". I think it's an unwritten agreement that motorcycle manufactures have with all the after market seat folks? Different story with companies like SAAB, Volvo, Benz etc. The auto makers seem capable of making great seats...thus no aftermarket seat makers.
Lyle
skysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 07:49 AM   #3387
Tripl Nikl
Beastly Adventurer
 
Tripl Nikl's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Location: Western Washington
Oddometer: 2,504
Quote:
Originally Posted by skysailor View Post
thus no aftermarket seat makers.
Lyle
There are aftermarket seats available for cars. And it's quite possible for a decent upholstery shop to modify a stock seat. Sort'a like motorcycles.
Tripl Nikl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 11:55 AM   #3388
Guth
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2013
Location: Pacific Northwest
Oddometer: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by merc16 View Post
So, I have a Z1000 that I'm thinking about trading in for a CB1100. The Zed is a nice bike, but lovin' the CB everytime I go to the dealer. Are there any CB1100 owners that were in the same predicament ? You had a more or less better bike performance wise but were drawn to the CB ? Did you regret it ?
You might have better luck with this question over on the CB1100 Forum. I know there are a some ZRX owners over there, but I'm not really sure if there are any Z1000 owners. Still, there are definitely many CB1100 owners over there who own, or have owned, bikes with much higher performance previous to purchasing the big CB.
__________________
1988 Honda Hawk GT
2013 Honda CB1100

CB1100 Forum
Guth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 01:09 PM   #3389
NJ-Brett
Brett
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: Southern New Jersey
Oddometer: 6,189
Oh, I do not think the seat would stop me from buying one.
In the old days, no one got a different seat except for looks, they were flat, thick and long and fit almost everyone.

I am not in the market, an old sr500 is more my dream bike at the moment, but I was really impressed with the cb1100.
If money and space were no object, I think I would buy one.
And then maybe trade it in after I got out of jail.
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 01:18 PM   #3390
Mike M
On the Border
 
Mike M's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2003
Location: SoCal
Oddometer: 1,466
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Hog View Post
I am amazed how many do a aftermarket seat first thing
The Z seat wasn't great, but you just learn to ride/ sit accordingly.
Gary
If I got to learn how to sit on a motorcycle saddle, its just like learning how to get along with a girlfriend. If I have to try that hard, it's probably not going to work.
__________________
Mike M
2014 R1200GSA White
Mike M is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 11:43 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014