Old 11-19-2012, 04:41 AM   #331
Ginger Beard
I have no soul

Oddometer: 6,113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobiker View Post
Quite a disparity:

http://www.mcnews.com.au/Testing/Hon...100/Review.htm

6l/100km = 39.2 mpg US gallon or 47.1 Imp. Range to empty 240 km or about 149 miles.

40 to 50 mpg sounds a lot more likely than 60 to me. Hope I'm wrong. 50 mpg and 3.9 gallons would work for me. 40 and 3.9 not so much.
40mpg would be a deal breaker for me. According to that article ,valve checks are recommended every 12,000km (roughly 7,500 miles)!? OUCH!! I hope that is a misprint or the MCN News guys misread the manual. Let's hope Honda was courteous enough to not set this bike up with a shim under bucket design .
Ginger Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 07:31 AM   #332
Mobiker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,509
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjenn View Post
My bet is that it will be a lot closer to 40 than 60 mpg in everyday use and touring duty. 1100cc air-cooled, inline-four, unfaired, etc. All the bikes getting 60 these days are generally smaller, water-cooled, twins with some semblance of a fairing (NC700X, Wee, etc.).

45 mpg x 3.9 gal = 176 miles to pushing. Means that when you're touring you'll probably be looking for gas every 100-120 miles to have a safe reserve. Not a deal-breaker, but 4.5-5.0 used to be more/less the standard UJM fuel capacity - wish Honda had managed to stick to at least this.

- Mark
That's why my eyebrows went up when I saw the 75 mpg (imp gal) figure quoted.
Mobiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:51 AM   #333
Gezerbike
Hey Rocky...........

Oddometer: 3,362
'tweeners

Honda did an online intro last week for all their dealers, and I spoke with someone who participated in it. All of these new bikes were specifically designed to fill a market segment where they felt they were lacking. Not only in the size of the bike, but in the cost as well. That is why there is such a wide range of bikes. If you list all the bikes in the Honda line by cc, then another list of the MSRP of the bikes, you get a better picture of what their statagey is. The CB 1100 was not designed to be a tourer...no windscreen, no bags. It competes heads up with the Triumphs Bonnevilles and Harleys Sportsters. The 700 competes against the V Strom and small BMW's. The new Goldwing competes against the Harley StreetGlide. All at an equal or better price point, combined with traditional Honda reliabity and competitive cost. And if some of these bikes just happen to look like some of the the best selling older Hondas, well, all the better. It's taken a long time to revamp the line, and overall, I think they did a pretty good job. A couple of them have me thinkin', and that usually costs me money.

Mike

2012 R 1200 GS RALLYE 1997 Suzuki DR 350 SE
Gezerbike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 09:10 AM   #334
oldhippie1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 287
Shim under bucket?

Maybe one of our European readers can tell me if valve adjustments are shim under bucket or tappet type adjusters. No one in the United States has seen a service manual. That would be a deal breaker to me to have to shim 16 valves. Probably very expensive as well.
oldhippie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 09:16 AM   #335
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,293
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhippie1 View Post
Maybe one of our European readers can tell me if valve adjustments are shim under bucket or tappet type adjusters. No one in the United States has seen a service manual. That would be a deal breaker to me to have to shim 16 valves. Probably very expensive as well.
Pretty sure it has been reported they're screw/locknut, thus the relatively short adjustment interval.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 09:25 AM   #336
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,791
Not sure is relates in any way, but my 09 CBF1000 (4 cylinder, FI) has a lifetime average of 44 mpg (US) since new. It is a low-revving, big torque engine, probably similar to the CB1100, with a little more horsepower.
Old 11-19-2012, 09:26 AM   #337
oldhippie1
Gnarly Adventurer

Sure hope your right. PLEASE if anyone knows for sure a post would be most helpful
Old 11-19-2012, 09:41 AM   #338
awork13
Gas was made to burn

Oddometer: 313
Quote:

Its a Honda, shim under buckets never need to be adjusted as long as it was made in the last 10 years. Checked so many (Goldwings, ST1300's, CBR600RR, CBR1000RR, VFR800) none of which have needed adjustment, Yet. The older bikes are the exception, as well as dirtbikes.
2009 CRF150R
awork13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:48 AM   #339
oldenuf
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 354
Honda marketing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gezerbike View Post
Honda did an online intro last week for all their dealers, and I spoke with someone who participated in it. All of these new bikes were specifically designed to fill a market segment where they felt they were lacking. Not only in the size of the bike, but in the cost as well. That is why there is such a wide range of bikes. If you list all the bikes in the Honda line by cc, then another list of the MSRP of the bikes, you get a better picture of what their statagey is. The CB 1100 was not designed to be a tourer...no windscreen, no bags. It competes heads up with the Triumphs Bonnevilles and Harleys Sportsters. The 700 competes against the V Strom and small BMW's. The new Goldwing competes against the Harley StreetGlide. All at an equal or better price point, combined with traditional Honda reliabity and competitive cost. And if some of these bikes just happen to look like some of the the best selling older Hondas, well, all the better. It's taken a long time to revamp the line, and overall, I think they did a pretty good job. A couple of them have me thinkin', and that usually costs me money.
I heard it even has a warning sticker on it, saying to call the dealer, if you get an erection lasting more than 4 hours.
oldenuf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 06:23 AM   #340
oldhippie1
Gnarly Adventurer

Valve adjustment

Yesterday I emailed two dealers in England asking if the valves were shim under bucket or tappet adjusters. I thought these bikes were already available overseas. I got a reply this morning that one dealer phoned Honda and they said this information would be realeased at the International Conference to occur later. Whats the big secret?

Also it says on Honda's own site 71 mpg. Could it possibly be because the bike has a single fuel injection body serving all four cylinders?
Old 11-20-2012, 06:43 AM   #341
Dave in Wi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,907
Quote:
Yesterday I emailed two dealers in England asking if the valves were shim under bucket or tappet adjusters. I thought these bikes were already available overseas. I got a reply this morning that one dealer phoned Honda and they said this information would be realeased at the International Conference to occur later. Whats the big secret?

Also it says on Honda's own site 71 mpg. Could it possibly be because the bike has a single fuel injection body serving all four cylinders?
I'm curious about the valve adjustment method too. I've looked online a bit and can't find anything on wether it's shims or screw & locknuts. I think screws & locknuts would be a little old school even for this bike but I could be wrong.

It seems curious to me that it uses one throttle body also. Are we sure that is correct?

I can't wait to see one of these in person.
1988 DT50
"Daddy, it's five o'clock sometime!"
Dave in Wi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 07:15 AM   #342
darmahman
"Illogically Deluded"

Oddometer: 2,798
Yep that is correct

Quote:

darmahman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 08:25 AM   #343
oldhippie1
Gnarly Adventurer

European Owners

Isn't this bike on the road in Europe? Could some European owner comment on the valve adjustment method.
Old 11-20-2012, 09:34 AM   #344
HapHazard
t00 0ld 2b n00b

Oddometer: 2,180
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knave View Post
How tall are you? It looks a little cramped for a taller guy to me. Thanks.

Cycle-Ergo has the CB1100 - choose it and plug in your particulars!

http://cycle-ergo.com/
HapHazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 10:33 AM   #345
Dave in Wi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,907
Quote:

The reason I question hte single throttle body is, I've seen it listed online as a single 36mm throttle body. Most 4s have a 36mm carb for each cylinder. It just doesn't seem big enough to me.
1988 DT50
"Daddy, it's five o'clock sometime!"
Dave in Wi is offline   Reply With Quote