Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-05-2013, 09:54 AM   #3451
Cruisin'Carolina
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grousedog View Post
Sorry about this pathetic post but it's been a long week trying to get the bike back home. It came in about a week ago but the dealer said the title or certificate of origin comes in the mail, not with the bike. I checked back every day and it was not in until today. I think they just wanted to keep it on the stand right as you walk in the door. Insurance companies suck, I know, I work for one. I tried to get my policy set up with my own company so that the premium could be taken out of my check in small amounts. So I went through the whole process and come to find out they wanted to charge me $1600.00 for the year. After I canceled this I called Floe and got it for $518.00 but then I had to run around and get the registration form stamped (driving and hour) and then off the registry of motor vehicles. After waiting 1 hour I got to the window and they only accept cash or check. I should have seen the very small print on the wall before I waited an hour so that's my fault but still aggravating to the max. I got to the dealer tonight and rode it home with my snowmobile helmet, gardening gloves and dressy leather coat.

It's been a long time since I've ridden on the street but I am no stranger to motorcycles. I'm 47 yrs old, 6'1", 215 and 33" inseam. (used to be 6'2" and 180) but apparently I'm getting old. I think I will look into the taller seat but it is not a must. I felt very comfortable on my short ride home. I also like the pegs back a little. If they were right under my knee it would be too small for me. All my worrying about the height were unfounded.

Take this noob report for what it is .......a guy who got back into street riding just because of this bike.

I share the same concerns...i.e., the size of the bike. I started on a '09 Suzuki TU250X just because I only like standards, and while it felt OK most of the time at 6'0" and 185 I looked liked a circus bear riding a trike in a circus. I have a 33" inseam, love the looks of this bike, just don't want to be oversized for it............
Cruisin'Carolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 01:12 PM   #3452
omnivore
SuperSportTourer

Oddometer: 1,013
This is simply the best looking luggage design available for the CB as far as I am concerned. Looks period correct with the bike's retro styling.

1996 YZF 600-Lost Era racebike
1999 R6-Rookie Challenge racebike
omnivore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 01:35 PM   #3453
dirtdreamer50
long time rider

Oddometer: 1,050

I, like others, waited for the CB to become available. It is a beautiful bike with a great history. Just wasn't ready to part with the bucks for it. Now Yamaha has come out with this naked Street Triple attacker, that has pulled me away from the CB...

FZ-09 or MT-09 in Europe. 850cc triple, 115HP, 65 ft lbs of torque, upright seating with more leg room, and sells for $7990 USD. I've decided that if I'm going to ride a naked bike, may as well get one that really gets my attention.

Guess I'm not ready to go retro just yet. Yes, some of the parts of the FZ look hokey, like the fake air inlets, but overall, I like it. Still may add a CB, down the road, but the FZ will probably be mine sooner.
Old 07-07-2013, 12:33 PM   #3454
Cruisin'Carolina
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 204
OK...I must stop buy the dealer in CLT this week I guess. I like standards, have my starter bike up for sale...

(TU250x)

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=893043

But looking at the specs the CB sounds REALLY small. I've read the thread, some think it is, some think it isn't.

I don't think any standard is going to be big, but only 5" longer wheelbase?

I'm 6' with a 33-34 inseam.
Cruisin'Carolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 02:21 PM   #3455
jas67
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 794
Saw my first CB1100 "in the wild" today

at the motorcycle breakfast in Ephrata, PA, along side a real nice SOHC CB750:

Oh, and I saw this CBX there too (I know it is isn't a CB1100, but so sexy!):
Honda: 01 VFR800, 93 VFR400R(NC30), plus many vintage Hondas.
Scooters: 2007 Vespa GTS250ie, 2009 Kymco Agility 125
jas67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 09:19 AM   #3456
TINK
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 686
Gearing

Anyone that owns a CB1100 thought about changing the gearing on their bike?

The CB1100 is geared to short, IMHO. When I looked at the rear sprocket it did not appear to have enough meat left the put on a smaller rear sprocket.

Does anyone know if there is room for a larger 19T (18T is stock) front sprocket?

TINK
TINK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 06:35 PM   #3457
Starkmojo
Chief Totberry

Oddometer: 574
Some dumbass resprocketed my TDM and while it did make getting mileage awards from the popo a snap it made any kind of urban driving a bitch. Engineers put a lot of thought into those kind of trade offs, tread carefully when you start second guessing them.

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Tapatalk 2
Rule number one kid is don't be a dumbass like your old man
Starkmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 07:46 PM   #3458
dirtdreamer50
long time rider

I've owned only two street bikes that actually needed regearing, a Triumph T100 and a KLR650. Went up one tooth on the C/S. That is the norm for most owners of both models. It brought the info below into order.

Generally, if 60 mph is around half way to red line, you're good. Best to stay in the torque range of the engine for best performance. Just check your tach and speedo, and if in the middle at 60, should be good. Like was said, Honda engineers are the best, but if the original gearing was designed for roads in Japan, and unchanged for USA models, one tooth may be good for our 75/80 mph highways here in Texas. Just need to decide what will make the CB perform in your area. tomp
Old 07-13-2013, 06:10 AM   #3459
Gas Hog
Two Wheel Fanatic

Oddometer: 976
Quote:
Originally Posted by TINK View Post
Anyone that owns a CB1100 thought about changing the gearing on their bike?

The CB1100 is geared to short, IMHO. When I looked at the rear sprocket it did not appear to have enough meat left the put on a smaller rear sprocket.

Does anyone know if there is room for a larger 19T (18T is stock) front sprocket?

TINK
Yea I have said this before, might be the only thing I want to change. No need for that many revs @60ish.
But talk is as far as I've got with that so far..
Gary
Gas Hog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 08:27 AM   #3460
Gypped
Backyard Camper

Oddometer: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Hog View Post
Yea I have said this before, might be the only thing I want to change. No need for that many revs @60ish.
But talk is as far as I've got with that so far..
Gary
In 5th gear, 80 mph is what, 4500 or thereabouts? Considering redline is 8500, I don't think that's particularly crazy. Now, I feel 1st gear is awfully short since it's almost redlined at 50 but that really only affects the 0-60 number I suppose...

Also, for the torque curve on the CB, there isn't much actual curve to it. It's just about as flat as it gets.
Gypped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 08:04 AM   #3461
Eddy Alvarez
Addicited to ALL bikes!

Oddometer: 2,208
So, it seems that either the honeymoon excitement is over or everyone that bought one is busy out riding them...
Old 07-19-2013, 08:11 AM   #3462
dirtdreamer50
long time rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy Alvarez View Post
So, it seems that either the honeymoon excitement is over or everyone that bought one is busy out riding them...
Possible, but also likely that this group has moved over to the CB1100 forum. Just the nature of the ownership/forum beast. 640 threads there in three months. Looks like Guth has a good site going there...tp dd50
Old 07-19-2013, 09:49 AM   #3463
darmahman
"Illogically Deluded"

Oddometer: 2,911
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtdreamer50 View Post
Possible, but also likely that this group has moved over to the CB1100 forum. Just the nature of the ownership/forum beast. 640 threads there in three months. Looks like Guth has a good site going there...tp dd50
That's where we are...
darmahman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 11:35 AM   #3464
Gas Hog
Two Wheel Fanatic

Oddometer: 976
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy Alvarez View Post
I wonder how many are left in showrooms? That's what my dealer was afraid of from the jump..no inventory.
Gary
Gas Hog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 12:46 PM   #3465
vintagecycle
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
I test rode one and loved it, I just can't get past the price of admission. I ended up buying a clean low mileage Tiger 955i instead, and saved over $5k.
vintagecycle is offline   Reply With Quote