Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-08-2013, 02:13 PM   #3571
Roadscum
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,357
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjenn View Post
First, the EICMA show annoucements are pretty Euro-centric and don't necessarily reflect what the US might get (or not get).

And some of Honda's best-sellers are not on the list (e.g., CR250L), so I doubt it is all-inclusive.

This being said, I doubt the CB1100 is a long-term bike for Honda, especially in the US market. Retro bikes tend to shorter lives as they exhaust their market pretty quickly and by nature, they're not cutting-edge bikes with new technology to attract new buyers every few years. It could be gone almost anytime.

- Mark
Jeeeez man, did you forger about the classic line from Triumph. Been around for awhile and still going strong. Guzzi doesn't have broads market appeal but their V7 cafe is doing very well..... For a Guzzi.

As always, YMMV.

Regards, Paul
Old 11-08-2013, 09:58 PM   #3572
Tripletreat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 484
"I guess I'll go back to wishing Kawasaki would bring over the W800 (not likely considering the sales flop of the w650)."

I've not given up on Kawasaki doing the right thing and selling the W800 in the U.S. But a "sales flop" for the W650? Well, that all depends. The W650 seems to be selling quite well on the used bike market these days.
Kawasaki gave up way too soon on that bike....
Old 11-08-2013, 11:26 PM   #3573
Omarius
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 149
The beauty behind a retro bike is that it needs little improving.

You take a retro design, build it, and ship it. Give it new colors on an annual basis, and that's the extent of your investment. It's not like a crotch rocket where you have to continually improve, redesign, and reinvest to stay on the bleeding edge.

Keep it around and let the aftermarket both build the market appeal/desire and fill the performance gap.

Look at the Bonneville. Or anything from Harley Davidson for that matter.

Kawasaki failed because of myopic corporatism. The W650 is exponentially cooler than the Bonneville, yet they pissed away a perfectly good bike. Even the W800 was an unnecessary revision and a waste of money. Like the nostalgia crowd cares about incremental, unappreciable "improvements". It's a W650, not a Ninja 600.
Omarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 01:41 AM   #3574
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Oddometer: 4,439
That's a great way to sum the market for these bikes, Omarius.
Old 11-09-2013, 06:20 AM   #3575
none
Adventurer

Oddometer: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omarius View Post
The beauty behind a retro bike is that it needs little improving.

You take a retro design, build it, and ship it. Give it new colors on an annual basis, and that's the extent of your investment. It's not like a crotch rocket where you have to continually improve, redesign, and reinvest to stay on the bleeding edge.

Keep it around and let the aftermarket both build the market appeal/desire and fill the performance gap.

Look at the Bonneville. Or anything from Harley Davidson for that matter.

Kawasaki failed because of myopic corporatism. The W650 is exponentially cooler than the Bonneville, yet they pissed away a perfectly good bike. Even the W800 was an unnecessary revision and a waste of money. Like the nostalgia crowd cares about incremental, unappreciable "improvements". It's a W650, not a Ninja 600.
Nailed it!
none is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 06:53 AM   #3576
GoonerYoda
Hot Dickens Cider

Oddometer: 434
CB1100 = the next W650 in terms of short lived modern retro that will be highly sought after 10 years after they stop bringing it Stateside.
GoonerYoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 07:18 AM   #3577
Dave in Wi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,823
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoonerYoda View Post
CB1100 = the next W650 in terms of short lived modern retro that will be highly sought after 10 years after they stop bringing it Stateside.
In a way I hope you are wrong, I'd hate to have this bike fail in the market. I've wanted one for so long, but I'm in no position to buy one anytime soon.

In another, sad way, I hope you are right. Then I can buy one at the bottom of the market before they state to appreciate. Yup, and I can time the stock market too.
1988 DT50
"Daddy, it's five o'clock sometime!"
Dave in Wi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 09:18 AM   #3578
dirtdreamer50
long time rider

Oddometer: 858
Dave, I saw a used 1100 at a large, multi line dealership yesterday. It was spotless; even the tires were still new. Only 278 miles, and they are asking $8995. KBB shows a trade price of $5819 and a resale of $8515. Lot of play room there. BTW, they are not a Honda dealer, so the PO probably would have traded for a bike from a different mfgr.

I sat on it and the seat to peg distance, left me feeling cramped, with only a 30" inseam.
Old 11-10-2013, 09:59 AM   #3579
Burninator
Zed's dead

Oddometer: 258
A dealer in Hillsboro Oregon has a brand new CB1100 for $7500!
Burninator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 01:03 PM   #3580
k-moe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,538
Given the recent goings on in D.C. and the economic ripples that have come of it; I think Honda may be pulling a Suzuki with this bike. No new model year until all the current new stock is sold.
k-moe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 01:37 PM   #3581
jfman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 585
Most riders think they are cool but that doesn't really translate into buying one.

I think they are cool but for the price, theres plenty of other bikes that tickle my fancy.

2012 Versys 1000
Tour of the American West 2013
jfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 03:54 PM   #3582
Super Sneaky Steve
B@nned Club :D

Oddometer: 3,017
I think the bike needs more power to sell well. It's really weak for an 1100 which means the only reason to buy it is on style alone.
Old 11-10-2013, 04:24 PM   #3583
dirtdreamer50
long time rider

Oddometer: 858
I agree with jfman and Steve. The price and the articles I read that stated it ran great for a mid sized bike, but not a 1K+ "I4". That and its rider ergos felt more cramped than the 1970 SL350, I had in '71... Man that was a fun bike, and yes the engine was well modded. tp
Old 11-11-2013, 06:22 PM   #3584
mrbreeze
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,026
I stopped by the local Honda dealership today. I asked the sales mgr how badly he wanted to move his CB1100.

He quoted me $10700 otd.

I told him I didn't want it that bad.

Walk with the wise and become wise,
for a companion of fools suffers harm. Proverbs 13:20
mrbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 06:31 PM   #3585
PAULIBIKER
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burninator View Post
A dealer in Hillsboro Oregon has a brand new CB1100 for $7500!

That's a deal..............
PAULIBIKER is offline   Reply With Quote