User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-04-2014, 02:05 PM   #3886
HondaFanatic
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 398

I will own a '14 DLX this summer

But of course I like the black one with the dark stars and blk'ed out motor better...shit!
HondaFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 02:25 PM   #3887
HondaFanatic
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 398
Dem pipes

HondaFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 02:34 PM   #3888
WantToRideMoar
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 309
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in Wi View Post
I was thinking how cool the EX with cast wheels would be. Then... Somebody who works for Kawasaki posted this pic on another forum. He won't say anything about it ( probably can't). I know it's not about the CB1100 but I just had to share.

Z1300 Resurrection?
Old 02-04-2014, 04:12 PM   #3889
ZappBranigan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 467
Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaFanatic View Post
Dem pipes

2-into-2 looks much better than the 4-1 that was on the '13 model. And best of all, still keeps the center stand!

Unlike some here, I never cared for the 4-4 on the original CB-750 (and I had one, a '74.) 4-2 looks much cleaner.

I don't care for the price but then again, I ride a BMW, I should be the last person here complaining about overpriced bikes.
ZappBranigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 05:15 PM   #3890
siyeh
Lawn Nazi

Oddometer: 1,529
The new model looks nice. I like the dual pipes and am glad they didnt go with tube type spokes. I can see myself on one in a couple years but need to get tired of this one first:

it is pretty depressing to be taking a pic of yer bike in the basement
three foot of snow on the ground and below zero temps up here
no riding for awhile
drat

many thought this CB1100 was going to be a one year model
Honda must see some potential to bring it back with updates

siyeh screwed with this post 02-04-2014 at 05:23 PM Reason: pic
siyeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 06:12 PM   #3891
KMC1
There is no spoon.

Oddometer: 2,376
I think it's the prettiest bike made right now in all the Japanese line ups. It's just a tad too tiny for me to fit comfortably, but I really like it. I'm shopping for a real sport tour bike right now, so it's not really on my radar at the moment, but I can definitely see owning one of these someday.

An Overview of the United States National Debt: http://www.davemanuel.com/us-national-debt-clock.php
KMC1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 10:15 PM   #3892
Omarius
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 315
The black one with clubman bars and napoleon bar end mirrors...perfect bike.
Omarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 04:56 AM   #3893
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,939
All we get in Canada is a new color

It is a very nice blue, but I want the dual exhaust,
and would be happy to have more fuel capacity too.
Old 02-05-2014, 05:49 AM   #3894
JerseyBiker
Living the life!

Oddometer: 2,060
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjenn View Post
American Honda did what I was hoping with the DLX..... got all the good stuff, rounded off the styling corners, and kept the tubeless. The $900 price hike is unfortunate though. I may have to get one of these.

- Mark
Basic went up $400 and DLX $1900,
JerseyBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 06:29 AM   #3895
Gas Hog
Two Wheel Fanatic

Oddometer: 976
Not sure but it looks like the deluxe gets the natural finish wheels and engine, bigger tank, different side cover, and abs.
If I can get all of the above without abs I will trade the '13 in.
If not then I will stand pat. The natural finish is what I really wanted..and wanted bad, but not at the expense of abs
I mean whats next, training wheels
Gary
Gas Hog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 07:59 AM   #3896
jmlmjmjm
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 890
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyBiker View Post
Basic went up $400 and DLX $1900,
The DLX price increase is really $900. The ABS model last year was $11K.
jmlmjmjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 09:08 AM   #3897
Scoobynut
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 468
The base went up $400, and the DLX is $900 more than a '13 ABS, but I would say, if we're to be somewhat fair to Honda, much of that increase (call it $400 for both models) is due to economic factors and the strength or weakness of the yen. So if you will grant that, the DLX is really $500 more than last year's ABS, for which sum you get an additional exhaust, a revised seat, an overdrive 6th gear, a larger fuel tank, a gear position indicator, revised side panels, revised instrument panel etc. It then starts to look like pretty good value for all the changes that have been made IMO.
2008 Yamaha WR250R
1988 Honda Hawk GT
Scoobynut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 10:50 AM   #3898
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,343
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobynut View Post
The base went up $400, and the DLX is $900 more than a '13 ABS, but I would say, if we're to be somewhat fair to Honda, much of that increase (call it $400 for both models) is due to economic factors and the strength or weakness of the yen. So if you will grant that, the DLX is really $500 more than last year's ABS, for which sum you get an additional exhaust, a revised seat, an overdrive 6th gear, a larger fuel tank, a gear position indicator, revised side panels, revised instrument panel etc. It then starts to look like pretty good value for all the changes that have been made IMO.
This is a decent way to look at it, but you can't get over the fact that comparable models from last year to this year (the 2013 ABS vs. the 2014 DLX) have resulted in a $900/8% price hike in a time when bike prices seem to be stable or even dropping. For this, you do get some extra equipment, but as these prices march up, other bikes do start to creep back onto the radar scope. If you're comparing retros, BMW's superb Nine-T starts to look interesting at only $3K more and the price advantage of bikes like the V7 and Bonny grows quite a bit. And if you're not a confirmed retro guy, then you start looking at bikes like the FZ-09 at $8K. Even the S1000R at $13.1K doesn't seem like it is very much more. And then you look at bikes like the Ninja 1000 ABS at essentially the same price. This is a LOT more bike.

Honda has had problems in the past creeping its prices past the rest of the market. I think it's still in the acceptable range for the CB1100, but they're on the edge. The world has changed and today's motorcycle buyer is much more price-sensitive then they used to be.

The conversion from a five- to a six-speed is a bit of a puzzler for me. Re-engineering a unitized transmission is a tremendous expense, both in the design and tooling. So either Honda spent a lot of extra money on this brief foray with the five-speed or they planned on this from the beginning which means the transmission has provisions for a "drop in" gear since the beginning.

- Mark

markjenn screwed with this post 02-05-2014 at 10:56 AM
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 11:30 AM   #3899
Scoobynut
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 468
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjenn View Post
This is a decent way to look at it, but you can't get over the fact that comparable models from last year to this year (the 2013 ABS vs. the 2014 DLX) have resulted in a $900/8% price hike in a time when bike prices seem to be stable or even dropping. For this, you do get some extra equipment, but as these prices march up, other bikes do start to creep back onto the radar scope. If you're comparing retros, BMW's superb Nine-T starts to look interesting at only $3K more and the price advantage of bikes like the V7 and Bonny grows quite a bit. And if you're not a confirmed retro guy, then you start looking at bikes like the FZ-09 at $8K. Even the S1000R at $13.1K doesn't seem like it is very much more. And then you look at bikes like the Ninja 1000 ABS at essentially the same price. This is a LOT more bike.

Honda has had problems in the past creeping its prices past the rest of the market. I think it's still in the acceptable range for the CB1100, but they're on the edge. The world has changed and today's motorcycle buyer is much more price-sensitive then they used to be.

The conversion from a five- to a six-speed is a bit of a puzzler for me. Re-engineering a unitized transmission is a tremendous expense, both in the design and tooling. So either Honda spent a lot of extra money on this brief foray with the five-speed or they planned on this from the beginning which means the transmission has provisions for a "drop in" gear since the beginning.

- Mark
All fair points, Mark. As a current CB1100 owner, the only bike that has aroused my interest among those you mention is the Nine-T due to it being more than competitive in the power and torque ratings -vs.- the CB1100, not to mention being a great looker. I still have strong reservations about the BMW ownership experience, but the Nine-T is the first BMW in a long time that could possibly make me reexamine those reservations, which is saying something. The bike has undeniable cachet. As far as the V7 and Bonneville, I think the CB1100's price premium over those bikes is fully justified by its greater 4-cyl. power, and I would submit, better quality, perceived or otherwise.

I understand the economic comparison to the FZ-09 and Ninja1000, but most guys shopping the CB1100 probably won't consider those bikes because, as you say, most of those guys are confirmed retro guys, with a few exceptions.

I believe the CB1100 has one undeniable strength in the retro market, and that is that if you're partial to a 4-cylinder retro, it's the only game in town. In the eyes of some that might be a weakness, but I suppose it all depends on which and what type of past icons you're partial to.

The one thing I'm most sure of is that with the ever-increasing choice in bikes, these are great times to be a motorcyclist!
2008 Yamaha WR250R
1988 Honda Hawk GT
Scoobynut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 12:29 PM   #3900
FrogAndTrumpet
Adventurer

Oddometer: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaFanatic View Post
Dem pipes

I'd go even further:

Dat ass!