Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-01-2014, 07:59 AM   #3946
RedRocket
Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs

Oddometer: 19,447
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeyshines View Post
so that's like a $600 seat. still, it's a nice seat.
I don't think any one's custom seats are much thaan thAt today
RedRocket is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 01:08 PM   #3947
Sky, Earth, Road
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
Cool2 Day Trip in the Black Forest (Schwarzwald) of Germany

My daily ride here in the States is a zippy little 2012 Honda CBR250R with ABS, but in March of this year I had the opportunity to rent a European-spec 2013 Honda CB1100 ABS.

Here's the bike I rented:

To my eye, the silver engine and wheels look really sharp.

I'm a guy over 50 who started street riding for the first time in my life two years ago, when I bought my 250. I am short at 5'5" (165cm) tall with a 29" (74cm) inseam. So when I look at any motorcycle, my first thought is always "What is the seat height?" So not only do I think the CB1100 is one of the best-looking motorcycles in production today...it's a bike that I can ride with confidence.

I rented the bike from a family-owned shop in Filderstadt, Germany (close to the Stuttgart airport) called Herbert Stauch Honda or Honda Stauch for short. Nice people and they took good care of me.

My route took me southwest from the shop into the northern end of the Black Forest:

I made the ride on a Friday, early in the riding season, so the traffic was very light and I did not contend with any holiday crowds at all. The weather was perfectly clear and the mid-day temperatures were around 62 deg F (17 deg C).

Riding impressions of the 5-speed CB1100

I very quickly realized that the bike is a wonder, a real pleasure to ride. The Honda CB1100 is a smooth, purring pussycat. The tractor-like motor has gobs of torque and pushes like The Hand of God (remember my daily ride is a 250cc thumper).

I did notice some mild vibration in 5th gear over 3k rpm (around 60 mph). In normal riding, you don't really need to push the motor over 3k rpm very often, so I think that when you get it out on the highway there's a subtle urge to shift to a higher gear than 5th. Maybe this was just me, because my 250 is a 6-speed. You don't really need a higher gear on the CB1100 so I think Honda added 6th in 2014 just because people "feel" like it needs another gear.

Maybe another reason for 6th is to improve the fuel mileage. The 2013 bike does have a rather small gas tank and I kept a wary eye on the fuel gauge. I filled it up when I started the trip, but I chickened out at 175 km with 2/5 bars on the digital fuel gauge and stopped for another fill-up. I was riding alone in a foreign country on a rental bike in a rural area where gas stations were not too numerous...I figured better safe than sorry and just top off a bit early.

The big mirrors are superb...I had a full, clear view to the rear. Handling is sure and steady. I noticed it got a little bit wiggly on rough pavement in curves....perhaps increasing the pre-load on the rear shocks may have settled it.

Quiet engine. Wind is a moderate issue at 120-130 kph (70-80 mph). If touring long distances at high speeds, a small windshield would be welcome.

The seat is soft but maybe a bit too soft...eventually I could feel the hard seat pan under it. A custom touring seat would be a desirable upgrade.

The transmission is butter-smooth, and the hydraulic clutch is light as a feather (that surprised me). The classic analog gauges I would rate A++.

The riding position was pretty comfortable. I found the seat a bit wide at the front, making feet-down a little bit of a stretch for this short guy. Not such that I could not handle the bike, but an inch narrower would have helped. Ironically, the knee angle seemed a little cramped, even though I have short legs. I would have to ride longer to determine if this would be an issue or not.

In summary, I really enjoyed my grand day out on the CB1100. I keep thinking about the bike and daydreaming about buying one....and that's about the highest compliment I could give it.

Sky, Earth, Road screwed with this post 04-06-2014 at 03:19 PM
Sky, Earth, Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 02:43 PM   #3948
GoonerYoda
Hot Dickens Cider

Oddometer: 689
Nice ride!

I'm eyeing the 2014 with the six-speed and larger tank. Just might have to take one for a spin.
GoonerYoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 03:59 PM   #3949
MariusD
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 560
I thought I wanted a V7 stone, but on the way to the guzzi shop I stopped at the honda shop and sat on the cb1100. I'm 6ft and I'm use to vstrom ergos, and the CB1100 felt PERFECT just the way it was. Man... I just sat there almost in awe at how well this thing seemed to fit my body. I never intended to consider even consider it really but now I'm super impressed. I sat on the stone after, and it just felt small and cheap compared to the honda. The griso actually seemed more to my liking. I guess I just like the bigger bikes because of my size. I didn't ride either bike, but I can't get the cb out of my head now, it just seemed impressive, and it's good to know that the 2014 carries more fuel and a 6th gear. I need to figure out how to get a test drive.
MariusD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 02:50 PM   #3950
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Oddometer: 4,769
Quote:
Originally Posted by bross View Post
Pretty much all answered in this thread, you just have to read it. Not sure if anyone wants to build an index for you pointing out the post #s to "the good? The bad? The ugly?".

Not trying to be a smart ass, just point your friend to this thread and buy him a coffee, then go for a ride. He should have all his answers when you get back.
Yep. Read the thread. It's all in here.
Old 04-10-2014, 06:55 PM   #3951
kpmsprtd
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 126
Lots of owners at the CB1100 Forum, including a significant number of people who are trading in earlier year models for the 2014.
kpmsprtd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 06:59 PM   #3952
Gham
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,304
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoonerYoda View Post
Nice ride!

I'm eyeing the 2014 with the six-speed and larger tank. Just might have to take one for a spin.
Sat on one today! Nice bike with almost the same ergo's as my CB900F.

While I was looking over the bike two guys came up,one kinda quiet guy,one know-it-all.Salesman starts talking about old CB's and Mr.Know-it-all rants and bitches...this is wrong...thats wrong..I let him go on for about 10 minutes and just listened.Then he starts bitching about the reach and height so I said wait a minute.I went over and pulled my CB900F up.Mr.Know-it-all about shit.Both guys and the salesman sat on both bikes side by side.They are very close!!!

The 2014 is a great looking bike,beautiful paint.nice motor and most improvements a modern bike should have(or offer).I explained some of the shortcomings on my 900 and how vintage bikes should not be looked at through rose colored glasses.Yes,Honda had faults!This new CB is a real looker and I would love to take one for a spin as a comparo.It's a chunk of change for me to get an updated version of something I already own though.

Society Historicus Revisioniscus
Gham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 10:09 AM   #3953
TINK
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 686
I too currently ride a DL650 Wee Strom and have lust for the CB1100. I've ridden the CB1100 and it's an amazing bike. Yes, it fits me to a T. I'm 6'2" and (10 lbs too heavy) 205 lbs. The FI is spot on, the transmission a delight. While it's a chunk of change for the 2014 Deluxe, at 60 years young I've decided I deserve it to treat myself to a new bike. TINK

Oh, ya, and I've been eyeing the V7 Guzzi's, but not sure ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MariusD View Post
I thought I wanted a V7 stone, but on the way to the guzzi shop I stopped at the honda shop and sat on the cb1100. I'm 6ft and I'm use to vstrom ergos, and the CB1100 felt PERFECT just the way it was. Man... I just sat there almost in awe at how well this thing seemed to fit my body. I never intended to consider even consider it really but now I'm super impressed. I sat on the stone after, and it just felt small and cheap compared to the honda. The griso actually seemed more to my liking. I guess I just like the bigger bikes because of my size. I didn't ride either bike, but I can't get the cb out of my head now, it just seemed impressive, and it's good to know that the 2014 carries more fuel and a 6th gear. I need to figure out how to get a test drive.
TINK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 02:38 PM   #3954
RedRocket
Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs

Oddometer: 19,447
E

Q
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gham View Post
Sat on one today! Nice bike with almost the same ergo's as my CB900F.

While I was looking over the bike two guys came up,one kinda quiet guy,one know-it-all.Salesman starts talking about old CB's and Mr.Know-it-all rants and bitches...this is wrong...thats wrong..I let him go on for about 10 minutes and just listened.Then he starts bitching about the reach and height so I said wait a minute.I went over and pulled my CB900F up.Mr.Know-it-all about shit.Both guys and the salesman sat on both bikes side by side.They are very close!!!

The 2014 is a great looking bike,beautiful paint.nice motor and most improvements a modern bike should have(or offer).I explained some of the shortcomings on my 900 and how vintage bikes should not be looked at through rose colored glasses.Yes,Honda had faults!This new CB is a real looker and I would love to take one for a spin as a comparo.It's a chunk of change for me to get an updated version of something I already own though.

I hate to say it but if you rode a new one you'd drop the old girl like a rock.
At least I can say that happened to my CB1100F when I got a new VFR about 10 years ago
RedRocket is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 02:47 PM   #3955
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Oddometer: 4,769
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRocket View Post
Q

I hate to say it but if you rode a new one you'd drop the old girl like a rock.
At least I can say that happened to my CB1100F when I got a new VFR about 10 years ago
You're right. I compared it to a 750F and used to ride a 900F years back, and it was like night and day. Makes the older bikes feel like a tea trolley.
Old 05-07-2014, 12:08 AM   #3956
Bike#8
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 172
I test rode a 2013 CB1100 Saturday afternoon. The bike had 1 mile on the odometer. Spent the weekend reading every thing I could find regarding the CB1100. Went back Monday after lunch to pick it up :)

I put a Renthal Superbike bar, Alaska Sheepshin, and lightweight horse saddlebags on it, then went riding.

My early impressions... Very stable, but easy to bend into a turn. I'm 6'2", but the seat/bar/peg triangle works for me. Seat is comfortable for one hour (longest ride so far), I sat in the same position and didn't feel any need to shift around on the seat. Fit and finish is very nice. The engine is a work of art and just beautiful to look at. Paint job on the tank is also beautiful.

Performance... Haven't revved much past 5500 rpms yet, but this bike has a smooth, bullet train like feel to it. From 1500 rpms in 5th gear the engine pulls cleanly without hesitation. The front brakes are very strong, best I've experienced. The back brake lacks the precise feel of the front brakes. It also lacks outright stopping power until well into the pedal travel. The CB has a nice, firm, confidence inspiring ride. The bike is easy to ride. Very happy so far. Arrival of 2014 models has pushed the price of new 2013 CB's to almost 2k under MSRP at my local dealer. At this price I think this bike is a great bargain. My 2. Thank you.

Then: BMW XMoto, Suzuki SV1000S, Honda 919, BMW XChallenge, Honda FT500, Suzuki GS650E, Yamaha XT500, Kawasaki 500 H1, Yamaha DT175, Suzuki TM125, Suzuki TS100.
Bike#8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 05:01 AM   #3957
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,943
That's a beauty Bike #8. You gotta desticker the fuel tank though!
Old 05-07-2014, 05:48 AM   #3958
OldF7Guy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 301
I would just about give my left nut for one of these. I really like my Nighthawk 750 and there is not a thing in the world wrong with it. When the 14DLX start to show up used I am going to have to have one and that is all there is too it.
OldF7Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 06:05 AM   #3959
Sky, Earth, Road
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldF7Guy View Post
I would just about give my left nut for one of these...When the 14DLX start to show up used I am going to have to have one and that is all there is too it.
Ditto!
Sky, Earth, Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 06:09 AM   #3960
Gas Hog
Two Wheel Fanatic

Oddometer: 976
Dealer is working on a new deal to take mine back on trade for the DLX
Love the unpainted motor and wheels.
Also told him I would have to have the ABS removed before it rolls out into the sun..
Gary
Gas Hog is offline   Reply With Quote