Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-20-2012, 06:40 AM   #526
Dave in Wi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,961
Honda did use hydraulic lash adjustment in the 80's 550, 650 and 700 Nighthawks. Having adjusted valves on inline fours, I kind of wish they had continued to use this system.
1988 DT50
"Daddy, it's five o'clock sometime!"
Dave in Wi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 06:41 AM   #527
Gas Hog
Two Wheel Fanatic

Oddometer: 976
Sweet mother of God..
Lets review the last couple of posts..cant go with the CB1100 because I found a used harley cheaper..ck
Honda is the only place to buy 18 inch tires..ck
the 883 is..ok I cant even type that..my keyboard just wont do it.
Well below zero here this morning, hard to even think about bikes. Spring cannot get here fast enough
Gary
Gas Hog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 06:41 AM   #528
Mobiker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,606
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in Wi View Post
Honda did use hydraulic lash adjustment in the 80's 550, 650 and 700 Nighthawks. Having adjusted valves on inline fours, I kind of wish they had continued to use this system.
The 750 Nighthawks were hydraulic too if I'm not mistaken.
"If I was in a hurry, I'd left earlier."
Mobiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 08:05 AM   #529
mrbreeze
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,334
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMC1 View Post
All of the Harley's run a technologically superior form of engine - the pushrods, air cooled twin. They use the hydraulic pressure from the oil system to keep the lash between the pushrods and the valves in spec automically.

Gas, oil and go with the Harley design. Much superior to those Maintainence intensive jap bikes.

yeah, right.

hydraulic lifters have the advantage of never needing adjustment - but - and I am no engineer - it seems to me the shim under bucket design allows for pretty long adjustment intervals and a more efficient motor. Rocker arms need to be adjusted frequently, but it's quite simple to do. Usually the hardest part is getting the valve cover off. Again a very efficient design if the valves are kept in spec. Then there is the Ducati desmo system, needs frequent and adjustments and is not particularly easy, so most Ducati owners take it to the dealer and pay high mtce fees.

Most auto manufacturers seem to be moving to shim under bucket and away from hydraulics. Hy car has sub, and the valves have never needed adjustment in 160,000 miles.

Travels with Maw Maw
mrbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 10:33 AM   #530
Eddy Alvarez
Addicited to ALL bikes!

Oddometer: 2,195
Yes, 750 Nighthawks, and most Honda standards/cruisers from the 80's NEVER need valve adjustments.
I have read everything I have been able to find online about this bike. I like it a lot! It pushes the right buttons in my brain. I may seriously consider buying one. I can see one parked between my DRZ400 and 1200GS. I can't wait to see it in the flesh in DC in three weeks.
I feel that $10K for a brand new Honda with this level of fit and finish is a very fair price, nonetheless, I will wait a bit until the inital rush subsides. As of now, my dealer is firm on $9999. He also stated that the Honda sales reps know that it will have a very limited audience. Per them, they are going to import them slowly to avoid having crates full of '13 CB1100's sitting in storage in 2014. I predict that it will do very well for a year, those who really want them will buy them and then sales will fall flat. Remaining inventory will be discounted $1000-1500, another rush of sales will occur and then nothing... Used ones will depreciate significantly. It will be very similar to what happened with Harley's XR1200 and the VRSCR "Street Rod" (both good bikes with very happy owners that failed miserably in US showrooms)
My only gripe is the shim under bucket valves. This bike could have EASILY been given hydraulic valves. My guess is that Honda threw a bone to the struggling dealerships. But as perviously mentioned, they will probably not need to be adjusted too often. I hope the there is an option to choose the engine in it's natural aluminum finish, not crazy about the black. Either way, make mine an ABS model, with heated grips in RED!
Old 12-20-2012, 12:26 PM   #531
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,343
Check out the Honda rear luggage rack accessory for this bike. Very 1970's.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 12:37 PM   #532
KMC1
There is no spoon.

Oddometer: 2,381
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjenn View Post

- Mark
I think they're really onto something here. Keep focused on the simplicity and utility of the overall design - bring it back to the core of motorcycling. I will say though that they can modernize some stuff, and it will just make it better. LED lighting, modern sport touring tire sizes, modern suspension, etc. like the fuel injection and ABS - the modern touches just make it better.

An Overview of the United States National Debt: http://www.davemanuel.com/us-national-debt-clock.php
KMC1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 03:58 PM   #533
dirtdreamer50
long time rider

Oddometer: 1,049
I'm considering one myself, but hope that it performs and handles better than the Triumph Bonneville, that honda is targeting with the CB. Had an 09 T100 and all the mods that were made to it never helped me enjoy any ride I took on it.

Seems every MC magazine has done a quick review of the CB and no one has besmirched it, yet. Makes me wonder it it really that good or are the magazines attempting to help promote sales in their industry? Hope it's the first, because I don't want another Bonneville fiasco... dd50...
Old 12-20-2012, 04:18 PM   #534
ssregal39
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 201
bonnie vs v7 vs cb

i recently test a rode a v7 stone and was amazed at how well it handled versus the bonneville. granted it weighs a lot less than the bonnie, it was just so much more flickable. cruised easily at 80 about the same as bonnie. also had much better brakes. the bonnie needing a very stiff pull on the lever. pads must be made of cardboard.
here's hoping that the cb handles nearly as well as a v7. it should have outstanding brakes judging by the components.
we shall see.
Old 12-24-2012, 09:45 AM   #535
HapHazard
t00 0ld 2b n00b

Oddometer: 2,187
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjenn View Post

- Mark
Nope!

THIS is 70's!

HapHazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 08:46 PM   #536
jly51
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Good Price

I asked my local dealer about delivery time and price .He say`s march or april,price right now should be $8994.00 OTD unless you are in Tennessee,got to pay the taxes.I would love to have a CB1100 but I bought a Yamaha Tenere last year so i`ll have to wait on this one .Dealership is Abernathy`s-1-731-885-1792,location is northwest Tennessee.
jly51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 10:58 PM   #537
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,984
The CB1100 will probably only last a couple of years in the U.S. It is too pretty and sensible for most people to want. But I doubt it will depreciate. Look at the SR500, W650, and GB500. They were very limited production bikes, nobody bought them when they were new, now a like new one costs more than they did when they were new. They have become collectors items. I still say they should have made it a SOHC 8 valve, it is probably not intended as a performance bike. The SOHC models sound better, and the screw and locknut valves were super easy to adjust. You didn't have to get the whole cover off, each valve had it's own little cover.
1980 Puch moped
JerryH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 11:16 PM   #538
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,343
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
The SOHC models sound better...
Just curious why you think the SOHC vs. DOHC affects the sound of the bike. Either way can open the valves identically.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 12:30 PM   #539
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,984
I have ridden both SOHC and DOHC Honda 750s. The SOHC definitely sounds better. It has a throaty growl to it, while the DOHC 16 valve has more of a high pitched whine. I don't know exactly what the difference is either.
1980 Puch moped
JerryH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 12:53 PM   #540
dirtdreamer50
long time rider

Oddometer: 1,049
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYehnUNMf6w

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dV8O6kByJ6Q

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=...ture=endscreen

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAvVx9NNDy4

SOHC, DOHC, and a new 1100 w stock exhaust... All different. May be engines, may be pipes used. All sound good, except for the 1100. too quiet, even for me... tomp