Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-25-2012, 02:05 PM   #541
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,168
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
I have ridden both SOHC and DOHC Honda 750s. The SOHC definitely sounds better. It has a throaty growl to it, while the DOHC 16 valve has more of a high pitched whine. I don't know exactly what the difference is either.
I doubt it has much to do with the cam layout. More likely the consequence of continuing evolution in noise regulations and exhaust design over a decade between the SOHC and DOHC eras; when you quiet the exhaust, other noises become more noticeable. I doubt a new SOHC CB1100 would sound much different from a new DOHC one.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 07:02 PM   #542
Starkmojo
Chief Totberry

Oddometer: 235
I have been lurking on this thread for awhile. Suffice it to say I would love one of these bikes even if I had the funds, They look stellar! I do not think the cb to sporty is really apples to apples- different bikes, different riding styles- different crowds. CB to Bonnie seems pretty close. with the Triumph being more retro vs Honda modern bike with classic touches.

I just it had that 70s big metal flake paint. That would be the perfect.
Rule number one kid is don't be a dumbass like your old man
Starkmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 07:32 PM   #543
conchscooter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,614
Retro Craze

I have been lurking on this thread as well seeking information because the CB1100 look interesting even though hard numbers are hard to come by yet. In reading about comparisons with the Bonneville (which I have enjoyed for 5 years) and the Guzzi V7 no one mentioned the retro Ducatis that lasted a couple of years.

In speculating about the Honda it seems the CB1100 falls between the Bonneville/V7 style of lower performance retros and the Ducati which looked retro but rode by all accounts like a modern bike in all respects (except the fuel tank melted). Mind you the CB1100 rates the almost same horsepower as the NT700 Deauville...just kidding.

I thought about the Ducati momentarily and went with the Bonneville for what I hoped was a low maintenance durable bike that wouldn't consume tires and chains like a modern sportbike. After 70,000 miles the Bonneville has done very well. But I do like the more powerful Honda. Very much. And yes I like a windshield and bags for my daily rider. Bugger the looks.

IBA#39,523

conchscooter screwed with this post 12-25-2012 at 08:34 PM
conchscooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 04:14 AM   #544
Starkmojo
Chief Totberry

Oddometer: 235
When it comes to HP I feel that the new CB1100 has enough for me- my current bikes 77 HP is fine with me, and before that my last two bikes were a 73 CL450and a 74 CB750... HP is not how I judge a bike, rather it is the smile I get riding it.
Rule number one kid is don't be a dumbass like your old man
Starkmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 05:51 AM   #545
DesmoTull
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by conchscooter View Post
In speculating about the Honda it seems the CB1100 falls between the Bonneville/V7 style of lower performance retros and the Ducati which looked retro but rode by all accounts like a modern bike in all respects (except the fuel tank melted). Mind you the CB1100 rates the almost same horsepower as the NT700 Deauville...just kidding.
My biggest gripe about the Ducati GT1000 was the totally non adjustable forks...

At least you can adjust fork preload on the CB!
DesmoTull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 06:29 AM   #546
yogibiker
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Not knowing much about tire/wheels, I am interested in the choice by Honda. Since the tire size affect handling and ride characteristics, would anyone hazard a guess as to why these choices were made by Honda?

As pointed out, these are some odd ball sizes. Was this neccessary to make this handle well? What does this tell us about the bike itself? Honda engineers must have made most of the decision.

yogibiker screwed with this post 12-26-2012 at 07:04 AM
yogibiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 06:55 AM   #547
DesmoTull
Gnarly Adventurer

Tires!

I believe this was brought up before... Here's some aftermarket tire options that will fit on this bike.

Front: 110/80R18M/C 58V
Rear: 140/70R18M/C 67V

Bridgestone BT-54 (OEM)

Dunlop D205 (OEM)

Pirelli Sport Deamon

I personally would go with the Pirellis. I've had them on a number of different bikes, and liked them alot.
Old 12-26-2012, 06:56 AM   #548
dirtdreamer50
long time rider

Oddometer: 861
I'm no tire genius, but the first 750's used 19" ft and 18" rr. The 18"s look more like the originals and probably allow the bike to handle in a similar manner. 17"s just wouldn't look right, to me. Wire wheels would really look nice but the comstar wheels probably cost less to build, and require no maintenance, like wires.

Considering the demographic this bike is designed for, most tires will be replaced by dealers, using OEM tires, not requiring other manufacturers to build several lines in Honda's sizes. Just my thoughts, could be totally off base. tomp dd50
Old 12-26-2012, 07:05 AM   #549
DesmoTull
Gnarly Adventurer

From some various magazines:

Cycle World
"Around town, the CB carries its claimed 545-pound curb weight well, providing agile handling. Once the pace is picked up on a twisty road, the narrow tire choices make sense. Turn-in is light and predictable, while midcorner stability is good right up to the point when footpeg feelers start digging into asphalt. The power of the front brakes, as well as the feel, is excellent for this application."

Motorcycle.com
"Conservative steering geometry (27.0-degree rake, 114mm trail) suggests ponderous handling qualities, but the CB1100 proves to be very easy to manage, whether flipping a U-turn in a parking lot or cutting up commuter traffic. Credit its relatively skinny tires (110/80/-18, 140/70-18) for the CBs exceedingly linear and intuitive steering response. To borrow an expression from the Brits, its a doddle to maneuver."

others didn't really comment on tires yet...
Old 12-26-2012, 09:12 AM   #550
skysailor
Rat Rider

Oddometer: 3,237
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesmoTull View Post
My biggest gripe about the Ducati GT1000 was the totally non adjustable forks...

At least you can adjust fork preload on the CB!
My biggest gripe about the Ducati GT1000, is that Ducati stopped bringing it to NA!!! I just wasn't ready to pull the trigger on it, and then it was gone! I don't happen to like the Walter Mitty pseudo race bikes, that Ducati markets. Nor the praying dog cruiser style everybody else markets. I like standards. V7, Bonnies and the like. CB1100? Probably. Still waiting for the MSRP up here in the Great White North.
Lyle
skysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 09:33 AM   #551
dirtdreamer50
long time rider

Honda Canada website shows an MSRP of $13,199 Canadian dollars. tomp
Old 12-26-2012, 11:47 AM   #552
skysailor
Rat Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtdreamer50 View Post
Honda Canada website shows an MSRP of $13,199 Canadian dollars. tomp
What is the American MSRP?
Lyle

Just looked up the US MSRP of 9900$?? Is this correct? If so, Honda Canada can go fuck themselves! Percentage wise, BMW and H-D are MUCH closer to US MSRP's! And, this will earn my business. It's really that simple. Canadian distributors HAVE to get this...or I hope they go tits up!

skysailor screwed with this post 12-26-2012 at 11:52 AM
Old 12-26-2012, 11:50 AM   #553
dirtdreamer50
long time rider

$9,999.00 base price, a thousand more for ABS. tp
Old 12-26-2012, 11:52 AM   #554
DesmoTull
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by skysailor View Post
What is the American MSRP?
Lyle
http://bit.ly/TjLxg3

Old 12-26-2012, 11:57 AM   #555
skysailor
Rat Rider

I think it's a great bike. At 11.5-12K CDN, I'm very interested. CDN version HAS ABS. Over that, I'll hunt elsewhere.