Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-14-2013, 09:18 AM   #781
DesmoTull
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobynut View Post
Jerry, as far as I could tell, the sidecovers are painted metallic silver, so they would be easy enough to repaint if one decided to.
metal or plastic??
DesmoTull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:20 AM   #782
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,996
I can find a just slightly larger series (150 instead of 140) dual sport rear tire that will fit it (Shinko 705), but does anyone know of a similar 80% road tread tire for the front of it? (reportedly 110/80-18 front and 140/70-18 rear)
their motorcycles
." --
RyanR
Mambo Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:24 AM   #783
Scoobynut
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesmoTull View Post
metal or plastic??
I didn't touch them, but if I had to guess, I'd say plastic -- but I'm not positive.
2008 Yamaha WR250R
1988 Honda Hawk GT
Scoobynut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:42 AM   #784
83XLX
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindofblue View Post
I've been wondering about the size of this bike too. (I'm 6'4" w/34" inseam). You're right about the dish in the seat and something like an Airhawk could compensate for that at least a bit. One would then need to raise the handlebars though or the forward lean angle would be bothersome (at least for this 61 y/o back of mine).

This picture is the prototype from a number of years ago. The production model isn't as "sporty" or trim as the prototype.
83XLX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 10:05 AM   #785
Dave in Wi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,948
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
The U.S. version does have a black engine, which unfortunately will soon become a gray engine, .
Nice thing is, coatings have come a long way. My ZRX is 11 years old and the black engine is still black. It is water cooled though, which probably helps.
1988 DT50
"Daddy, it's five o'clock sometime!"
Dave in Wi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 11:12 AM   #786
HapHazard
t00 0ld 2b n00b

Oddometer: 2,186
Quote:

Until I say Scoobynut's pics (thanx! they're great!) I had never noticed what looks like a silver plastic "falsie" under the seat between the top shock mount and turn signal. Looks kind of tacked on. Should have a handle like the CB750 pic. I don't mind seeing a bit of frame - maybe it's that cruiser influence...
HapHazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 11:16 AM   #787
KMC1
There is no spoon.

Oddometer: 2,328

An Overview of the United States National Debt: http://www.davemanuel.com/us-national-debt-clock.php
KMC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 11:21 AM   #788
Guth
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 149
Quote:
I sat on the bike and found it comfortable for me at 5'10". A fairly compact riding position for an 1100 for sure. But then again I ride a HawkGT and find that bike perfectly comfortable.
Thanks for posting the detailed photos Scoobynut! I've been following this bike for years now and I've been keeping up with this particular thread since it started. I finally decided to simply join the forum so that I might be able ask a few questions.

I know that it's not everyone's cup of tea, but I find the new CB1100 to be the most beautiful looking new bike in a long, long time (yes, I'm an older guy). I put down a deposit for one at a local dealer the day the Honda announced they were bringing it to the USA. and am reading up all that I can in the meantime.

I also own a Hawk GT (I'm on the hawkgtforum as well) and it's the only street bike I've ever owned. I'm 5 '8" and my Hawk sits just above 31" with the Penske on the back. If you could share any more of your impressions on how sitting on the CB1100 felt compared to sitting your Hawk it would be greatly appreciated. Also, how did the build quality of the CB1100 strike you compared to that of your Hawk?

All the best,
Guth
Guth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 11:26 AM   #789
Scoobynut
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HapHazard View Post
Until I say Scoobynut's pics (thanx! they're great!) I had never noticed what looks like a silver plastic "falsie" under the seat between the top shock mount and turn signal. Looks kind of tacked on. Should have a handle like the CB750 pic. I don't mind seeing a bit of frame - maybe it's that cruiser influence...
That 'falsie' thing is what I used to lift the bike onto the centerstand -- I didn't pay much attention to it, but it was stout enough to use as a lift handle for what it's worth. There were also a couple of nice, solid posts for hooking bungies on those things; seems like if they had been brazed right onto the frame they would have been some ways under the seat, so maybe that was part of the thinking?
2008 Yamaha WR250R
1988 Honda Hawk GT
Old 01-14-2013, 11:55 AM   #790
Scoobynut
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guth View Post
Thanks for posting the detailed photos Scoobynut! I've been following this bike for years now and I've been keeping up with this particular thread since it started. I finally decided to simply join the forum so that I might be able ask a few questions.

I know that it's not everyone's cup of tea, but I find the new CB1100 to be the most beautiful looking new bike in a long, long time (yes, I'm an older guy). I put down a deposit for one at a local dealer the day the Honda announced they were bringing it to the USA. and am reading up all that I can in the meantime.

I also own a Hawk GT (I'm on the hawkgtforum as well) and it's the only street bike I've ever owned. I'm 5 '8" and my Hawk sits just above 31" with the Penske on the back. If you could share any more of your impressions on how sitting on the CB1100 felt compared to sitting your Hawk it would be greatly appreciated. Also, how did the build quality of the CB1100 strike you compared to that of your Hawk?

All the best,
Guth
Hey Guth, I'm on the hawgtforum as well, I use the same handle there.

I didn't sit on the bike a long time, and wasn't really trying to compare it to the Hawk at the time -- I was more focused on how the bike 'felt' in its own right if you know what I'm saying. I'd say the bar layout is similar in height , maybe even a touch lower, but with a sweep that reaches back to you a little more than the Hawk. The pegs I'd say were very similar in height and placement to the Hawk's, but such pegs seem a little less out of place on a Hawk. Not that they were uncomfortable to me, but they just seemed on the sporty side for a standard. As they say,everything's a tradeoff, and if the bike was set up to be much more comfortable, well, it would probably feel less sporty and manageable when throwing it around in the corners.

As to the quality, I didn't compare it to my Hawk -- which I'm sure you'll agree, was an extremely high quality bike for something built in the the late 80s -- but compared it more to my friend's VFR1200, which also has a reputation for very high build quality. It was easily the match of the VFR I thought. In person it just looks all-of-a-piece, like it was purposefully designed by someone who knew what they were going for.

I'd sure love to have one.
2008 Yamaha WR250R
1988 Honda Hawk GT
Old 01-14-2013, 12:06 PM   #791
Guth
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 149
I knew I recognized your user name. Great feedback on the CB1100 and exactly what I was interested in finding out. One of the things that I love about my Hawk is how well it has held up over the years, which says quite a bit for the quality of the materials that they used on the bike. It also makes it a real pleasure to work on.
Guth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 01:40 PM   #792
HapHazard
t00 0ld 2b n00b

Oddometer: 2,186
^^Hawk GT here, too.

Even though I'm 6'5" with a 36" inseam, I don't care - the Hawk is my favorite.
HapHazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 04:18 PM   #793
Scoobynut
Gnarly Adventurer

Hawkers are coming out of the woodwork! Looks like there are a few of us who like this bike. I think this bike appeals to me because most of the reviews I've read speak about the easy-going nature of this bike. That's one thing I like about my Hawk, the way it will rumble along a two lane road at an easy pace if that's what strikes your mood. Of course it will do some scratchin' in the twisties, probably far better than this CB1100, but I'm sure you could do the easy-going stuff for hundreds of miles on the CB, whereas a Hawk will do that too, but it's a little out of its element there.

At age 48, I like the thought of a big, but not too big, elemental bike that you don't feel obligated to go too fast on, something to just let the miles roll by in a relaxed manner. There's no way of knowing 'til I ride one, but I bet this bike excels at that. I like that this bike gets back to what attracted most of us to motorcycles in the first place. It's cool in that retro kind of way, sure, but I don't think you'd feel the need to prove anything to anyone with this bike -- if you did, it's probably the wrong bike for you. It's just my opinion of course, but It's about time someone came out with an anti-'bad ass' bike for a change.
2008 Yamaha WR250R
1988 Honda Hawk GT
Old 01-14-2013, 04:35 PM   #794
dirtdreamer50
long time rider

Oddometer: 1,038
I do believe that anyone who purchases one of these 1100's better be ready to travel down memory lane at every stop. I had a T100, and folks stopped to talk with me every where I went.

"How old is it?"
"Man, I remember when I rode one of those back in the 60's."
"How long did it take to rebuild it?"
Those are just a few questions you need to be ready to handle.

When those asking realized the Triumph was a new bike, they were even more impressed.

"Didn't know THEY were STILL in business, cool bike."

Much of the fun of riding a retro is the conversations... tomp dd50
Old 01-14-2013, 05:31 PM   #795
Eddy Alvarez
Addicited to ALL bikes!

Oddometer: 2,159
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtdreamer50 View Post
Much of the fun of riding a retro is the conversations... tomp dd50
That happened to me almost every time I stopped for gas on my 206 Triumph Scrambler. I had one guy say "Dang, I'd be scared to know what a perfectly restored bike like that is worth!"