their motorcycles
." --
RyanR
Mambo Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:15 PM   #827
dirtdreamer50
long time rider

Oddometer: 1,027
Honda has't normally been a copy cat, but I wish they would copy the fake carb design used by Triumph twins. Looking at the 750 pics, the carbs are very evident and help establish the mechanical looks of the engine. Look hard and you can kinda see black throttle bodies on the 1100. The fake carbs on the Triumphs really help establish the retro theme, at least to me.
Old 01-15-2013, 09:05 PM   #828
Guth
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 149
Here's some decent new onboard footage:

Sorry, I guess they blocked the video.

Guth screwed with this post 01-16-2013 at 09:45 AM Reason: Video apparently blocked
Guth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 09:58 PM   #829
conchscooter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,728
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtdreamer50 View Post
Honda has't normally been a copy cat, but I wish they would copy the fake carb design used by Triumph twins. Looking at the 750 pics, the carbs are very evident and help establish the mechanical looks of the engine. Look hard and you can kinda see black throttle bodies on the 1100. The fake carbs on the Triumphs really help establish the retro theme, at least to me.

That is a great quotation. On the Triumphrat thread the old dears hate the fake carbs almost as much as they hate the flange on the fuel tanks...I'd hate to design motorcycles for a living.

IBA#39,523
conchscooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 05:01 AM   #830
Gregster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 959
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guth View Post
Here's some decent new onboard footage:

It says: "This video is private"
Gregster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 05:05 AM   #831
ph0rk
Doesn't Care

Oddometer: 2,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by conchscooter View Post
That is a great quotation. On the Triumphrat thread the old dears hate the fake carbs almost as much as they hate the flange on the fuel tanks...I'd hate to design motorcycles for a living.
I always got the impression they didn't hate the fake carbs as much as they just ranted real carbs, and the fake ones were rubbing their noses in it.

I think if you're mechanically inclined to know what and where they are and be upset because they're "fake", you might be better off with a "real" classic bike, rather than a modernized simulacrum.

Gimmie my EFI.
Old 01-16-2013, 05:56 AM   #832
ZappBranigan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 457
As far as styling goes, I think the CB1100 got it just about right. Retro enough to call back the original UJMs without looking like a carbon copy. Newer design cues like the heavily shaped and scalloped tank (vs the very simple design of the older tank.)

My only quibble - and it's a minor one - is the 4 into 1 exhaust. The swoopy-curvy headers seem to have been inspired by the CB400F (anybody remember that one?) I think a 4-into-2 (like the later DOHC 750's and the Nighthawk 750s) would have looked more balanced. Also the 4 into 1 leaves the left side of the bike looking a bit naked.

Still, it's a gorgeous bike. If I wasn't committed to my Triumph I'd consider it but at this point my thought is that (a) I don't want to sell the Scrambler and (b) I don't ride enough as it is owning one bike, owning a second bike wouldn't increase my riding time one bit.

I wish them luck though. In my dreams this would inspire a UJM revival from all the big 4, but sadly I don't see it happening in the land where the V-twin Harley Clone is king, and that's a damn shame.
ZappBranigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 06:12 AM   #833
DesmoTull
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZappBranigan View Post
I wish them luck though. In my dreams this would inspire a UJM revival from all the big 4, but sadly I don't see it happening in the land where the V-twin Harley Clone is king, and that's a damn shame.
If all the people that said they wish for a UJM revival would actually buy a UJM... then there'd a revival...
DesmoTull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 06:30 AM   #834
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,308
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtdreamer50 View Post
Honda has't normally been a copy cat, but I wish they would copy the fake carb design used by Triumph twins.
It's all personal taste, but I don't like fake much-of-anything, whether it be carbs, hood scoops, or breasts.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 06:44 AM   #835
RedRocket
Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs

Oddometer: 19,183
Quote:
Originally Posted by conchscooter View Post

I'm sure manufacturers have long ago given up on snooping for opinions on pre production bikes on forums like this because of all the nitpicking whiners.
RedRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 06:55 AM   #836
siyeh
Lawn Nazi

Oddometer: 1,481
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesmoTull View Post
If all the people that said they wish for a UJM revival would actually buy a UJM... then there'd a revival...
I'm doing my part

got one a coming

siyeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:54 AM   #837
DesmoTull
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by siyeh View Post
I'm doing my part

got one a coming

Good man. See you out there! I'm hearing early April out here in MA.
DesmoTull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 08:09 AM   #838
skysailor
Rat Rider

Oddometer: 3,414
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambo Dave View Post
Wow, those are rear-sets.
In my case, I'm guilty as Hell.....BUT.....it's -25C here. So, I have little choice. I post a lot less frequently between late April and early November, though.
Lyle
skysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 10:31 AM   #839
M3-SRT8
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 268
To my eyes, Honda is just about spot-on with the cb1100. The only thing I would change is the exhaust system. It cries out for a classic 4 into 4 exhaust. Like this:

This shot, with pipes by Endurance of Japan, along with their side panel and tank retro bits, show how close Honda came to capturing the origional without being a clone.

Now, it looks BETTER than the origional.
M3-SRT8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 10:34 AM   #840
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,308
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3-SRT8 View Post
To my eyes, Honda is just about spot-on with the cb1100. The only thing I would change is the exhaust system. It cries out for a classic 4 into 4 exhaust. Like this:

This shot, with pipes by Endurance of Japan, along with their side panel and tank retro bits, show how close Honda came to capturing the origional without being a clone.

Now, it looks BETTER than the origional.
I'd go with classic twin pipes, but overall, I have to agree with you that this bike is a very VERY nice blend of modern and retro. Honda could have done a lot more with colors, striping, and logos on the tank.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote