Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-15-2012, 07:10 AM   #91
AZbiker
Crunkin' with crackers

Oddometer: 6,918
Quote:
Originally Posted by kraven View Post
haha! Yeah, I realized my goof and came back to change it.
Too late. ADV's knights of nee already found me out.
So are we talking Big One? Dealers were still pulling them out of crates in 2000. No wonder American Honda is so gunshy.

derek

http://azbiker.smugmug.com

Got SmugMug? If not, save some cash and use my code: McYdbycdcvM5Q
AZbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 07:12 AM   #92
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Oddometer: 4,715
I think I'll leave it and tweak the ocd who know which bike I mean.
Old 10-15-2012, 08:02 AM   #93
tastroman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,504
Here's hoping Honda brings it for a year or 2, and if it's a sales flop, much like the GB500 I'll have a classic sitting in my garadge which will hold it's value down the road as there will always be someone longing for a modern version of a 70's/80's UJM.
2009 Buell Ulysses XB12XT

tastroman screwed with this post 10-15-2012 at 04:29 PM
tastroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 11:23 AM   #94
Ham
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 262
This bike and its discussion is interesting in many ways. I am 54 and an old rice burner Honda kid. I have never wanted a Harley though my brother who is nearly 5 years older adores them and owns them.

I think Honda has gone totally out of sync with things in the last 25 years. They brought out the NSX way too soon, and even then I think they would have sold like hot cakes in the west if they had been executed properly....just not enough of anything really. Then they went after the boy racers...which is fine, but don't leave behind your base. Then the motocross bikes got so specialized that unless you were flat out on a dirt course they were unusable.

So what I think is going on with the Adventure riding crew is we are folks who like a comfortable bike that can do a lot well. We do like nostalgia, but we want modern nostalgia. Upright sitting is a must.

So Honda needs to go back and massage its classics and bring them back for the old ricers. But they are too slow. I would have strongly considered the CB1100 in my latest shopping spree, though I would immediately go to a fabricator and change it into two pipes to a side. More chrome baby.

But instead I got a Stelvio Guzzi and love it. There was a time I would defend Honda to the core, but in my mind there is some kind of war that has been being fought within the Honda Motor Company....even there automobiles have not had that cutting edge for years. Mark my words one of these days it will leak out, even if they are Japanese.

But I think I will look for a CB900 or 1000 to cherry and have as an antique.

On the other hand if they don't screw the pooch and get off their duff the new 250L and NX700 are fantastic. Now a smooth light 450L. And a bigger NX with that fabulous engine design would own the adventure world because they are thrifty, powerful, and keep the weight way down low...just need more seating room.
Ham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 11:46 AM   #95
HapHazard
t00 0ld 2b n00b

Oddometer: 2,180
Quote:
Originally Posted by kraven View Post
I think I'll leave it and tweak the ocd who know which bike I mean.
Kraven, you mean the CB1000R?

it's been around since 2008, but it still makes me think of

and No Stairway! Denied!

HapHazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 03:54 PM   #96
siyeh
Lawn Nazi

Oddometer: 1,464
Two years ago when word of this bike leaked out, I called American Honda and told them I would buy one full retail IF you had the balls to bring it. Fell upon deaf ears I guess. I still feel this way. I think it would get along in the garage with my new CRF250L.
siyeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 04:21 PM   #97
jmlmjmjm
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 808
Quote:
Originally Posted by siyeh View Post
Two years ago when word of this bike leaked out
Two years? This bike has been floating around internet forums since early in 2008!

There is a 350+ post thread here which started Jan. '08 along with new threads (like this one) started every year thereafter when talk turns to new model inroductions.

We keep hope alive, no doubt.

jmlmjmjm screwed with this post 10-15-2012 at 04:30 PM
jmlmjmjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 04:55 PM   #98
siyeh
Lawn Nazi

Oddometer: 1,464
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwieX...A3A6BEB4A5791A

bring it Honda

I will be one of those two guys who buy this bike

siyeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 07:02 AM   #99
DesmoTull
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by siyeh View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwieX...A3A6BEB4A5791A

bring it Honda

I will be one of those two guys who buy this bike

Make it three.
DesmoTull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 05:34 PM   #100
Dave in Wi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,889
Four. I really identify with the guy in that video.
1988 DT50
"Daddy, it's five o'clock sometime!"
Dave in Wi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 09:25 AM   #101
Pigford
British

Oddometer: 889
Thumbs down

A very good friend of mine had the money in his bank, ready to buy one of these CB's....... he is a life-long Honda fan.

He arranged a test ride (a few weeks ago) and took if for a spin...... He still has half the money in his bank account after buying a secondhand ZRX1200 - much more entertaining but I'm biased.

The CB1300 was a bland experience - maybe OK as a first "big-bike" for a newby rider, but it is uninspiring and totally forgettable, according to him
Pigford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 02:18 PM   #102
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,142
I rode CB1300S - my friend got one, in fact I kinda brought it to his attention and he ended up buying one. S model is just like regular CB1300 but with half-fairing.
I rode ZRX1200 quite a few times - my colleague have one.
All excitement of ZRX in comparison with CB in engine department comes from engine "feeling" - not ACTUALLY faster in real life but feels like you rocketing while CB just smoothly and quitely takes you to same speeds. I think ZRX would be faster in drag race thou.
But biggest excitement of ZRX for me was quite a bit worse handling (stock) comparing to CB1300S (stock). Basically Kawasaki there lives to old Kawa style - beast of motor in not very well controllable chassis. All this purely purely relative of course, don't get me wrong - ZRX is great bike. And it is subjective - my impressions. But CB isn't really that bland at all in my impressions. I think it is purely based on personal impressions and best way to ride for yourself.
However - all this has nothing to do with CB1100, as it is absolutely and totally different bike than quite sophisticated LC CB1300 deriving from Honda X4 engine and then Jap-only CB1300 that was slightly revamped for European market.
I seen CB1100 in real on Intermot and it is budget (but in a good way) bike while CB1300 is expensive and very high quality machine. CB1100 engine have nothing at all in common with CB1300, nor the chassis or bodywork.
bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 04:41 PM   #103
Dave in Wi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,889
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesman View Post
All excitement of ZRX in comparison with CB in engine department comes from engine "feeling" - not ACTUALLY faster. Basically Kawasaki there lives to old Kawa style - beast of motor in not very well controllable chassis.
I've got a ZRX- that sums it up pretty well. It is a great bike but the handling is not great. If Honda brings the CB1100 here I would have a VERY hard time resisting buying one.
1988 DT50
"Daddy, it's five o'clock sometime!"
Dave in Wi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 09:56 PM   #104
omnivore
SuperSportTourer

Oddometer: 1,014
I am very short and have been lusting after the Bonneville SE and Gizzi V7 for some time now. Love it in red and chrome. Ever since I began racing I decided that all I need in a streetbike is around 100 hp, and as much torque as I can get. I never ride over 100 mph, and rarely over 80, so gearing is always a cheap and easy option to get more jam outta less power for me.
But this baby, with ABS, and a super low seat height and built for little guy ergos, is awesome. And companies in Japan have already begun selling 4 into 4 pipes for them too! Although I can't decide which I like more....the beauty of the 4 mufflers, or the beauty of the serpentine 400supersport style OEM header. Tough call.
1996 YZF 600-Lost Era racebike
1999 R6-Rookie Challenge racebike
omnivore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 07:09 AM   #105
gore-tx OP
DOUBLE-O G

Oddometer: 2,092
A few more videos that show mods and different pipes:

http://www.moto-station.com/article1...-la-voix-.html