User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-27-2013, 02:37 PM   #1066
dpg
Adventurer

Oddometer: 86
Is this my next bike?

I actually prefer the black engine. I finally saw the Moto Guzzi v7 stone in person last weekend and was impressed. I thought it was going to be my next bike. In the months of waiting for it to show up I have really grown to like the Honda. I've always been a honda fan and have a civic, pilot (wife's) and cbr250r currently. Life is good and I have already put 8500 mi. on my CBR. Truth be told I don't need more bike now but I like the idea of minimalist touring. Tried it on the 250 and could barely keep up with traffic when heading into strong head winds. I'm intrigued by the rumors of the new BMW retro that is supposed to be coming out but I would be a little scared of the cost associated with a BMW. I grew up riding a '72? Honda 450 twin and have always been a little dissappointed in the offerings of standard street bikes since then, save the cb1 and gb500. This really ticks all the boxes though. As great as it looks I absolutely love the Mugen Cafe package that can be seen on the interwebs. I'm torn between putting money down on it now or being patient and seeing how it goes. I don't like my nearest Honda dealer (several bad experiences buying and with service) so I may just wait and see what happens. I can't really imagine a scenerio where they sell out of all of them the first year and then decide they aren't going to bring them back the next year. I wonder how much they might raise the price if this model is successful as I think it will be though. Heated grips and ABS are really attractive options that I can't get on the v7 as well. I'm not really interested in pushing the limits of my bikes so I think this bike would be fine for me. My biggest concern is not having all of the character of a Ducati, Moto Guzzi, V-twin etc. that so many people go on about. So the CB1100 sounds like it is silky smooth (read boring). But if I am being honest with myself, I have ridden the Guzzi's and while I notice the character and appreciate it, I am one to really appreciate a well constructed smooth engine like my Civic SI as well. I am a little concerned about the weight too as I love the light weight of my 250 but might like the solid feeling of a heavier bike too, especially at freeway speeds. I have never ridden a bike with an inline four that I can recall so I will definitely have to get a test ride first. I have a feeling I will appreciate it being a Honda and all but until then I guess I'll just have to keep dreaming.
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 05:57 PM   #1067
Scoobynut
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 436
dpg, just to comment on one of your points, I've ridden a few inline 4s, but only on sportbikes. In each case, I loved the motor, but hated the seating position/bar reach. I think it will be a real treat to ride a bike with a more tractable four, but with rational ergonomics.
2008 Yamaha WR250R
1988 Honda Hawk GT
Scoobynut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 07:27 PM   #1068
furious_blue
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
dpg:

I hear you..
The first bike I ever rode was a '72 CB450, my neighbor and corrupter Phil put me on his bike and wished me luck. No such thing as MSF back then (as you know)...
I've also decided that my CBR250R will be my long haul touring bike after a thoroughly enjoyable 5-6 day ride 2 summers ago. Having done the across the US and Canada thing a number of times on either an 1100 Shadow or a CBR1100XX blackbird, I needed 'something different' to get the feeling of adventure back. I found it to be more satisfying to do it with less... I mean, If I said to someone that I went across the US on a GoldWing.. the feeling'd be something like yes, 'and ???'.
If my knees would let me, I'd be touring by road bicycle, but they won't.

What I really look forward to on the CB1100 is having a big inch four tuned for low and mid-range.. just loafing along at low rpms around town and on back roads at 50 mph or so.. blub blub blub blub.. mmmm... heaven..
furious_blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 07:34 PM   #1069
M3-SRT8
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobynut View Post
dpg, just to comment on one of your points, I've ridden a few inline 4s, but only on sportbikes. In each case, I loved the motor, but hated the seating position/bar reach. I think it will be a real treat to ride a bike with a more tractable four, but with rational ergonomics.
Yes. Plus 1.

I, too had a inline-4 Honda, a CBR-600RR (2003). I bought it for it's performance and, honestly, it's looks and the company's reputation for building fine product. I was in my 40's at the time, and could handle it just fine. I sold it and bought an '06 Ducati S2R-800 Monster, because of the suspension, that great torque meister of an engine, and the more comfortable ergos. I ride 85% of the time around town, and about 2500 miles a year. That bike is great around town, and very comfortable. I'm going to keep it, even when I buy the cb1100.

Well, I'm 57 as of yesterday, and although I'm 6'0" 172 lbs and keep myself in great physical shape (and always have), the ergos are amongst the most important reasons why I'm drawn to the cb1100. Could I handle another superbike? Yeah, but my wrists are already crying 'uncle.' I want to be comfortable, dammit.

I saw, and sat on the bike in NYC, and loved it. The more I hear about this bike, the more I know it's the bike for me.
M3-SRT8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:04 PM   #1070
dpg
Adventurer

Lol f_blue. My uncle put me on a bsa something or other on the street no less and said figure it out. I spent the entire day riding up and down the street switching gears into 5th going 15 mph, killing it etc. etc. Suprised I didn't kill myself. Next day I'm on his 450 trying to figure it out. Nobody told me that the controls were switched left to right. How did I live to ride. After almost killing myself a few times I figured out there was such thing as a front brake too. I am a little worried about this bike being a little overkill and therefore boring but I love the look, think I will love the ergos and will probably cruise more responsibly that I do on my underpowered CBR250. I absolutely cannot ride that thing without thinking I'm on a race track. It just begs to be wrung out wherever it goes. Even though I'm still going pretty darn slow. M3 - Glad to hear you like the ergos at 6'. Thats what I'm at with 31" inseam so I think that will probably work for me. The cbr actually has too much fwd lean for me. I can't wait to see this 1100 in person!!!
Old 01-27-2013, 08:12 PM   #1071
HapHazard
t00 0ld 2b n00b

Oddometer: 2,182
Quote:
Originally Posted by gore-tx View Post
I started this thread a while back.

I think the bike should be available sometime in March. I wonder if we will see 100,000 views before the bike is on the dealership floor...
Quote:
Originally Posted by HapHazard View Post
^Don't worry - we'll get there LONG before March!
Was I right?
HapHazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 06:00 AM   #1072
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,814
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpg View Post
Heated grips and ABS are really attractive options that I can't get on the v7 as well. I'm not really interested in pushing the limits of my bikes so I think this bike would be fine for me. My biggest concern is not having all of the character of a Ducati, Moto Guzzi, V-twin etc. that so many people go on about. So the CB1100 sounds like it is silky smooth (read boring). But if I am being honest with myself, I have ridden the Guzzi's and while I notice the character and appreciate it, I am one to really appreciate a well constructed smooth engine like my Civic SI as well. I am a little concerned about the weight too as I love the light weight of my 250 but might like the solid feeling of a heavier bike too, especially at freeway speeds. I have never ridden a bike with an inline four that I can recall so I will definitely have to get a test ride first. I have a feeling I will appreciate it being a Honda and all but until then I guess I'll just have to keep dreaming.
Some comments on your post based on 3 season with an 09 CBF1000, which is an I4, detuned FI Honda with linked ABS, and a little (but not a lot) more power than the CB1100:

My Honda heated grips put out less heat than the aftermarket ones on my V-Strom. Expensive and poor performing. I would suggest aftermarket.

The CBF is pretty vanilla, except it's nice looking, has an engine with big torque that can pull away from a stop in any gear, and great brakes for me in an urban environment. It stops quickly and in a straight line, important with all the pathetic drivers where I live. It isn't the ultimate in character, but it is a fun, reliable motorcycle that should provide years of pleasure, with minimal issues.

Weight of the CB1100 and CBF1000 are basically the same. The CBF carries its weight low and well, doesn't seem heavy. I traded a V-Strom for it, and being top heavy with a taller seat, the Strom felt heavier even though it wasn't.

There aren't many plain old bikes around these days. I like my CBF a lot, but had the CB1100 been available, it is most likely what I would have chosen. I like round headlights.

Port of Collingwood
Old 01-28-2013, 06:03 AM   #1073
Bugz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_l View Post
Some comments on your post based on 3 season with an 09 CBF1000, which is an I4, detuned FI Honda with linked ABS, and a little (but not a lot) more power than the CB1100:

My Honda heated grips put out less heat than the aftermarket ones on my V-Strom. Expensive and poor performing. I would suggest aftermarket.

The CBF is pretty vanilla, except it's nice looking, has an engine with big torque that can pull away from a stop in any gear, and great brakes for me in an urban environment. It stops quickly and in a straight line, important with all the pathetic drivers where I live. It isn't the ultimate in character, but it is a fun, reliable motorcycle that should provide years of pleasure, with minimal issues.

Weight of the CB1100 and CBF1000 are basically the same. The CBF carries its weight low and well, doesn't seem heavy. I traded a V-Strom for it, and being top heavy with a taller seat, the Strom felt heavier even though it wasn't.

There aren't many plain old bikes around these days. I like my CBF a lot, but had the CB1100 been available, it is most likely what I would have chosen. I like round headlights.

Port of Collingwood
I bet the CBF1000 is a very nice allround machine.

Does it have any high frequent vibrations between 75 - 85 mph? And what's your fuel economy?

Thanks!
Bugz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:00 AM   #1074
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,814
I haven't noticed vibes at any particular RPM, other than as RPM climbs, vibes increase.

5,000 RPM is at 78 MPH (indicated, 4 or 5% less by GPS). Vibes become more noticeable, but not huge past 5,500 or so. Redline is 10,000, but I have never been past around 8,000.

Fuel economy since new = 44 MPG (US gallons).

I don't ride a lot of high speed, divided highways, but it does just fine when I do. I rarely exceed 130 KPM (~80 MPH) except to pass.

CBF torque is about the same as the CB1100, HP is a little bit higher, around 96.

I'm confident that the CB1100 would be "enough" bike for me.
Old 01-28-2013, 07:02 AM   #1075
gore-tx OP
DOUBLE-O G

Oddometer: 2,243
Quote:
Originally Posted by HapHazard View Post
Was I right?
Yup!
Old 01-28-2013, 03:29 PM   #1076
PAULIBIKER
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 216
Awesome

PAULIBIKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 03:59 PM   #1077
dirtdreamer50
long time rider

Oddometer: 1,022
Character ain't...

dpg,

Character ain't always what it's cracked up to be. I had an XR1200 Harley nad it had good character. Looked good very quick, for a Harley, would pull 2k rpm in top gear, making shifting optional, and had a relatively comfortable seat. I traded it for a 2010 KTM Duke 690, 'cause I wanted a screamer single 650.

I got a screamer single 650 with great upright seating ergos, but also all the bad character that came with it. The engine can NEVER go below 3k rpm, or the bike will shake and buck in any gear. Consequently, I have to be constantly shifting up or down to keep the bike in the 3.5k sweet spot in city driving. The seat is like sitting on a skinny light pole. No padding and no lateral support, period. The tires it uses go the the wear bars in 2000 miles, but it is a screamer single 650, that will take on any SS 600 in the twisties and kick serious butt up to about 100 mph.

Chances are good that it will be traded, at a loss, for the CB in a few months. After a couple hundred miles on the Duke I'm almost ready to give up motorcycles, completely. Boring yet comfortable may just be the thing for guys in their 60's... tomp dd50
Old 01-28-2013, 04:40 PM   #1078
ECN-ROL
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gham View Post
I understand your point completely,skinny tires are hard to get used to looking at.I grew up with the skinny tires so it's not as big a deal for me.You can also be limited with selection/choice.
Even several CB900F riders swap wheels and swingarms with early model CBR's !!!!! It's a common mod to upgrade to modern rubber.
I recently bought some F2 wheels to put on my 900f. A buddy of mine races one with 17" wheels and states that it makes a big difference. One of the major reasons for his conversion was that Avon race rubber is almost twice the cost of a decent radial race tire. Much the reason I am doing the same. Bias tires are not cheap, and they don't appear to last any longer than regular radial tires.
ECN-ROL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 06:18 PM   #1079
dpg
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtdreamer50 View Post
dpg,

Character ain't always what it's cracked up to be. I had an XR1200 Harley nad it had good character. Looked good very quick, for a Harley, would pull 2k rpm in top gear, making shifting optional, and had a relatively comfortable seat. I traded it for a 2010 KTM Duke 690, 'cause I wanted a screamer single 650.

I got a screamer single 650 with great upright seating ergos, but also all the bad character that came with it. The engine can NEVER go below 3k rpm, or the bike will shake and buck in any gear. Consequently, I have to be constantly shifting up or down to keep the bike in the 3.5k sweet spot in city driving. The seat is like sitting on a skinny light pole. No padding and no lateral support, period. The tires it uses go the the wear bars in 2000 miles, but it is a screamer single 650, that will take on any SS 600 in the twisties and kick serious butt up to about 100 mph.

Chances are good that it will be traded, at a loss, for the CB in a few months. After a couple hundred miles on the Duke I'm almost ready to give up motorcycles, completely. Boring yet comfortable may just be the thing for guys in their 60's... tomp dd50
Thanks for the input. I have spent a lot of time on wildguzzi.com as well as my best friend buying his two first bikes (guzzi's). I think I have been a little brainwashed about the Guzzi character. I am beginning to realize functional, dependable and usable may really be more important to me in the long run. I'll know when I sit on the cb1100 and cerianly should know after a test ride. The funny thing is I didn't even really like the cbr250 that much on my test ride but went with it because of the price, reliability and safety factor and absolutely love it now. I am ready for a little more power, upright ergos and I hate plastic covered bikes.
Old 01-28-2013, 06:51 PM   #1080
Toto
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_l View Post

Port of Collingwood
Exactly mirrors my experience ...only mine is Silver (faster colour). Also traded 08 Wee...excellent bike BTW
I posted early in the thread that I did not care for the looks of the new 1100.....HOWEVER...it DOES look real good i that Blue and Silver.
As like the CBF1000 doesn't make a ton of hp, but lots of torque, and for most day to day riding thats what counts most.
And it will still likely haul if you cane it a bit.
Toto is offline   Reply With Quote