Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-18-2013, 09:57 AM   #1426
furious_blue
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldF7Guy View Post

I wonder if anybody else has cross shopped the Cb with a sportster? They are different as night and day on one hand yet both bikes will do about anything you ask of it. My riding style is all over the board including some interstate travel from time to time. Ya, a gold wing would be nice for that but I can only afford one bike. I am bikeless right now and I miss riding big time.
IMHO that's a tough one.. I think that both bikes have their own type of charisma, I love the sound of a single-pin 45 degree twin. I know that I could never have lived with a pre-2007 sportster but since 2007 with the vibration isolating frame it's a different story.
Ironically, if one chose the CB1100 over a Sporty today, their machine would be more unique and they'd be less likely to 'see themselves' coming the other way on the other side of the road.
furious_blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 10:04 AM   #1427
mrbreeze
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,347
I swore off chains back in the 70's when a broken chain put me on the side of the road. After that I had nothing but shaft driven bikes for a long time. Would not even consider a bike with a chain.

I finally reconsidered and bought an FZ6. I put 11,000 miles on that bike with no chain issues. After that came a V-Strom. 25,000 miles on that chain and sprockets when I got rid of it.

Modern chains rarely need adjusting and they last a very long time. I almost (ALMOST!) prefer them to a shaft, now.

Travels with Maw Maw
mrbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 10:38 AM   #1428
Starkmojo
Chief Totberry

Oddometer: 574
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbreeze View Post
I swore off chains back in the 70's when a broken chain put me on the side of the road. After that I had nothing but shaft driven bikes for a long time. Would not even consider a bike with a chain.

I finally reconsidered and bought an FZ6. I put 11,000 miles on that bike with no chain issues. After that came a V-Strom. 25,000 miles on that chain and sprockets when I got rid of it.

Modern chains rarely need adjusting and they last a very long time. I almost (ALMOST!) prefer them to a shaft, now.

A chain may be more likely to fail, but it costs a whole lot less to replace when it does - 150$ vs 1500$
Also I can replace a chain and both sprockets on the side of the road with the tools i normally carry with me and a center stand.. Now maybe you can do that with a shaft drive but either your mechanical kung fu is stronger than mine and/or you carry more tools than I do.

I have never had a chain fail on me on the road, but I am a bit of a preventative MTC weenie. If I have to adjust it out more than once a quarter (3 mos) then I get a new one, and generally I replace both sprockets with it, unless know they are in good shape.
Rule number one kid is don't be a dumbass like your old man
Starkmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 10:51 AM   #1429
The other Ferret
Motorcycle nut

Oddometer: 269
I had a 59 Sportster when I got out of high school and a 94 sportster my wife bought me for Christmas in 93.I don't remember much about the 59 other than it was fast for the time and a real bitch to kick start. So I'll speak about the 94. I liked the narrowness of the bike and the sound with stock pipes, but that was about it. Seat was terrible, had to buy a pillion seat for my wife which she hated. The front end clunked every time I went over any kind of bump, rear suspension seemed to have about an inch of travel and it vibrated so badly that any ride that involved speeds above 55 mph would leave my hands itching like i had a case of poison ivy on my palms. handling was acceptable up to that 55 zone where it would vibrate so badly, but it didn't like being pushed in the corners. Brakes were so so.It did have belt drive which was nice and was electric start of course, plus it never left me stranded or leaked oil. On a scale of 1 to 10 I'd probably give it a 5. Ive never ridden one with the rubberized motor mounts. I hear the 1200s aren't bad bikes except for foot peg location.

My 750 Nighthawk did everything so much better. More comfort, better ergos, no vibration to speak of, handled well especially with the fork brace and progressive shocks, never a moments trouble, never leaked anything, but it could have used more power and better brakes. You could run it at freeway legal speeds all day feeling non the worse for wear. I 'd probably rate it 7.5 out of 10.

I'm hoping the CB 1100 will be a 9 out of 10 for me since it cures the 2 issues I had with the 750, yet retain all the good qualities.

The other Ferret screwed with this post 02-18-2013 at 11:18 AM
The other Ferret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 12:28 PM   #1430
OldF7Guy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 301
Well, the biggest gripe I have with sportsters are the brakes or lack there of. Mine was a rigid mount and vibrated like crazy. You had to constantly check things and re torque all sorts of things including motor mounts all the time. It never leaked a drop of anything and ran really good. Handling was a little wierd. Mine was a 1200c with the skinny front wheel and it did not inspire confidence at all and I am not a novice rider. I just never trusted the thing in the corners like I should have and I dont push things that hard.

The vibration of the rigid mounts caused so many problems there is not time to list them all. I was going down the road one day and the battery cover just flew off because it vibrated loose. I turned around to go get it and somebody already ran over it. LOL I mean its just stuff like this that would piss you off. Mirrors coming loose and spinning around and I could go on and on.

Dont even get me started on the HD dealer experience. I never wanted a Harley but always liked the sportsters in some sick sort of way. The arrogant HD dealers can take their chrome and prices and shove it! I am at the point in my life I dont want to work on stuff as much and want to enjoy it more. I just think at this point the cb is more of a complete motorcycle for what I want to do. I am confident it has enough power for me and like how the engine is in basically a very mild state of tune for us old folks that like to short shift and just roll on the throttle. My old cb650 had to be revved quite a bit to move out but of course it was smaller. I ran the piss out of that thing day in and day out and it never gave me an ounce of trouble. Its a wonder I didint get killed on it as wild as I was in my teens.

I would not know how to act being able to see out of a rear view mirror.

OldF7Guy screwed with this post 02-18-2013 at 12:35 PM
OldF7Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 01:08 PM   #1431
dirtdreamer50
long time rider

Oddometer: 1,050
I realize this is the CB thread, but since we got off on Sportsters....Harley has gotten themselves into a limiting situation, currently, that their bikes have to all have themes, especially the Sportsters. I wanted a play bike recently and figured a standard Sportster, why not? Started looking and there wasn't a standard Sportster currently built.

Low slung bobbers and custom looking cruisers were all I found. I did finally pick up an 09 XR1200, about as close to a standard as Harley has built in a couple decades. It had standard seating ergos, great brakes, for a Harley, handled the twisties better than some sport bikes I'd ridden and sounded great with the Remus 2 into 1 exhaust. All was good, until I saw a '10 KTM Duke 690 for sale.The XR went bye bye,,, The 690 has been the Most fun I've had on two wheels in a good while. The CB is still calling to me, but the Duke would have to go, and I'm not sure I can do that right now. Guess we'll see, soon. tp dd50
dirtdreamer50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 01:43 PM   #1432
furious_blue
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtdreamer50 View Post
The 690 has been the Most fun I've had on two wheels in a good while. The CB is still calling to me, but the Duke would have to go, and I'm not sure I can do that right now. Guess we'll see, soon. tp dd50
My '05 Speed Triple has to go to make room for the CB. A co-worker is likely to buy it from me. I brought it work last week for him to give it a whirl. When I rode it home that evening I realized how much I was going to miss it after it's gone. Sharp athletic handling and speed, it can be intoxicating.. at the same time, I wondered how I managed to avoid getting a ticket while riding it all those years...
It will be sad parting, but I'm sure that once the CB is sitting in the garage I'll get over it. For one thing, the appearance of the S3 motor was never a thing of visual beauty, quite the opposite of the CB motor and I guess for me 'motorcycle' has always had an emphasis being a MOTORcycle.
furious_blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 04:50 PM   #1433
ZappBranigan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 467
Quote:
Originally Posted by The other Ferret View Post
When the non o ring chain on my 750 Nighthawk wore out at 13,000 miles I replaced it with an o ring chain and it went the next 9,000 miles withput even needing an adjustment.
I bought a 2001 Triumph Thunderbird with about 2000 miles on it in 2005 and rode the piss out of it. Finally replaced the chain at about 25,000 miles and to be honest, I'm not 100% sure it needed replacing. OTD cost for chain and two sprockets was in the $400 range and this being a Triumph, it was more expensive than it would have been at a Big-4 Japanese dealership.

Quote:
The only issue I have found with even modern chains is keeping the rear wheel clean
Oh hell yeah. I admit I over-oil my chain, but then again, that may be why I can get 25k out of it? In any case the chain on my Scrambler is still fine at 18,000 miles and I rarely adjust it - my thought is that by the time the chain needs adjusting, I probably need a new rear tire anyway.

My back wheel is filthy, though. Of course, it has spokes, which makes it tougher to clean. The CB has an alloy wheel, so probably a little easier to keep clean.
ZappBranigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 05:06 PM   #1434
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,113
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZappBranigan View Post
I bought a 2001 Triumph Thunderbird with about 2000 miles on it in 2005 and rode the piss out of it. Finally replaced the chain at about 25,000 miles and to be honest, I'm not 100% sure it needed replacing. OTD cost for chain and two sprockets was in the $400 range and this being a Triumph, it was more expensive than it would have been at a Big-4 Japanese dealership.

Oh hell yeah. I admit I over-oil my chain, but then again, that may be why I can get 25k out of it? In any case the chain on my Scrambler is still fine at 18,000 miles and I rarely adjust it - my thought is that by the time the chain needs adjusting, I probably need a new rear tire anyway.

My back wheel is filthy, though. Of course, it has spokes, which makes it tougher to clean. The CB has an alloy wheel, so probably a little easier to keep clean.
I had a bike that I used an oiler for, and over-oiled it well, and ... it ran and ran until I sold it at far under the mileage I would have had to buy a new chain.

However, the mess on the rear wheel, tier, some clothing, and everything... I swear I'm just running my DR650 chain dry now, lol. I may try what I used on my bicycle chains, Boeshield T9, but I don't really ever want to go back to over-lubing chains again. What they NEED to do is go SUPER-RETRO, and bring back chain-enclosures to keep the mess in there, and to keep grit and sunlight off of the o-rings.

That would be retro, and useful.
their motorcycles
." --
RyanR
Mambo Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 05:11 PM   #1435
YJake
Roaming

Oddometer: 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZappBranigan View Post
The only issue I have found with even modern chains is keeping the rear wheel clean
And the center stand, and rear of the engine, and shock, and swingarm, and...

-Jake
Old 02-18-2013, 05:47 PM   #1436
dirtdreamer50
long time rider

Oddometer: 1,050
Wanna eliminate the mess on the rear of the bike, at least chain wise? Use Du Pont Teflon Multi-use dry Wax Lubricant. Comes in an 11oz can for $5-7.00 Available at Lowes. Spray it on, let it sit for the time prescribed and there will be no slinging mess on the wheels, etc. Started using it on off road bikes. Dust and dirt don't cling to the chain. Simply wipes off with a rag. Won't mess with the seal rings either. tp dd50
dirtdreamer50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 06:18 PM   #1437
ZappBranigan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 467
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtdreamer50 View Post
Wanna eliminate the mess on the rear of the bike, at least chain wise? Use Du Pont Teflon Multi-use dry Wax Lubricant. Comes in an 11oz can for $5-7.00 Available at Lowes. Spray it on, let it sit for the time prescribed and there will be no slinging mess on the wheels, etc. Started using it on off road bikes. Dust and dirt don't cling to the chain. Simply wipes off with a rag. Won't mess with the seal rings either. tp dd50
I will put that on the shopping list, thanks.

My chain guard is a terrible mess, too. Really I need to just take a nice afternoon and scrub everything from the countershaft sprocket rearward.

But of course, then the Biker's Weather Dilemma hits me: If it's nice enough to clean the bike, it's nice enough to RIDE!
ZappBranigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 07:00 PM   #1438
M3-SRT8
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 268
I use Maximum OIl's Chain Wax on my '06 Ducati S2R Monster, and it keeps everything out back nice and clean. If there is any wear on my chain and sprockets, I can't see any. Bike has 9k miles.

I'm keeping the Ducati, BTW. Can't part with ANY of my toys.

As far as Sporsters are concerned, and H-D's in general, I just don't get the allure, but hey, to each his own. Every time I ride one I just can't gel with it. I don't like them, period.

The cb1100 is going to be one of those classic Hondas - excellent build quality, reliability, and faultless manners. Faultless to the point of being "boring" to some.

Hey, I'll just put a set of Endurance 4-4 Pipes on it to liven things up. It's much easier to liven up a smooth running machine than quiet one down.

Is it May yet?
M3-SRT8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 08:06 PM   #1439
OldF7Guy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 301
Quote:
The cb1100 is going to be one of those classic Hondas - excellent build quality, reliability, and faultless manners. Faultless to the point of being "boring" to some.
Being boring can be a good thing. Excellent build quality, reliability, and faultless manners are also desired by some of us. Im sick of having to wrench on stuff all the time.

I just hope you are right and I have no reason to think you are wrong given what I know about the older Hondas. Lets hope they get it right.

I found this some of you might find interesting and I hope its not a repost.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gT2QFf6DK00
OldF7Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 09:11 PM   #1440
mrbreeze
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,347
Ok I know this is the CB1100 thread, and I am off topic with this, but hey since we have nothing to do but wait anyway - I thought I would throw this out there and see how you retro Honda lovers responded. I think this is a really fantastic bike, and a good alternative...

Travels with Maw Maw
mrbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote