Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 25 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-25-2012, 08:24 PM   #1
skysailor OP
Rat Rider

Oddometer: 3,476
Best Bear Gun?

Being that I'm in Canada (read Granny State, as far as hand guns go) it has to be a long gun or shotgun.
I do a lot of hiking and biking in bear country. I don't hunt. I would only shoot anything to avoid being eaten!
What do all you gun savvy Yanks recommend for a defensive bear gun? I know if I was hunting bear, I'd use something along the lines of a .300 WSM with a big old scope, but what's best if the bear is hunting ME?
Lyle
skysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 08:29 PM   #2
Weirdo
Welcome to you're "DOOM"

Oddometer: 4,456
Quote:
Originally Posted by skysailor View Post
Being that I'm in Canada (read Granny State, as far as hand guns go) it has to be a long gun or shotgun.
I do a lot of hiking and biking in bear country. I don't hunt. I would only shoot anything to avoid being eaten!
What do all you gun savvy Yanks recommend for a defensive bear gun? I know if I was hunting bear, I'd use something along the lines of a .300 WSM with a big old scope, but what's best if the bear is hunting ME?
Lyle

Marlin 45-70 1895 guide gun.

It's what I have for my bear gun. It's a freak'n cannon, easy(isn) to shoot well and fast, plus compact for easy carry.

I love mine, even if I'm Canadian.

Weirdo screwed with this post 08-25-2012 at 08:36 PM
Weirdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 08:35 PM   #3
Weirdo
Welcome to you're "DOOM"

Poor quality vid of the 45-70 in action at the range:

Old 08-25-2012, 08:37 PM   #4
fxstbiluigi
crash test dummy

Oddometer: 11,950
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weirdo View Post

It's what I have for my bear gun. It's a freak'n cannon, easy(isn) to shoot well and fast, plus compact for easy carry.

I love mine.
Sans scope b/c any encounter,where you need to shoot to protect your self, will likely be at close range and it is a lot easier to aquire the target at close range with open sights.

"Politicians are always interested in people.
Not that this is always a virtue.
Fleas are interested in dogs." -P.J.O'Rourke
fxstbiluigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 08:43 PM   #5
HardCase
winter is coming

Oddometer: 10,127
The Guide Gun is a good choice, and pretty cool. OTOH, a pump or semi-auto 12 gauge shotgun loaded with slugs or alternating slugs and 00 Buck would be equally effective as bear protection, maybe even better. Since you're not going to be hunting you're not overly concerned about long-range performance.

Hard cases make bad law.
HardCase is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 08:44 PM   #6
Weirdo
Welcome to you're "DOOM"

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxstbiluigi View Post
Sans scope b/c any encounter,where you need to shoot to protect your self, will likely be at close range and it is a lot easier to aquire the target at close range with open sights.
Yup, what he said. No scope, just iron sites.

Four in the tube and one in the kitchen. Hammer at half cock and even if you don't hit your target, anything downwind of the business end of this thing will be bleeding out of at least of a couple of orifices.
Old 08-25-2012, 08:59 PM   #7
hajime
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weirdo View Post

I love mine, even if I'm Canadian.
I'm just a little person and I carry a Marlin .45-70 guide version too. It is easy to shoot and very acurate. I love that gun. Sometimes however, a rifle is not the most appropriate gun for my work. I work in the mountains in the Alaska Range. In this case, the terrain is very steep and hands are sometimes needed to climb. Bears can climb amazingngly fast. Ususally I carry a .454 Casul. It's another cannon. Mine is ported to decrease the kick (especailly with bear loads). Since my hands are small, I have changed the grip so my fingers can easily reach the trigger.

It is really important to practice shooting and to understand bear behaviors.

Bear spray is not my favorite tool. One of my geologists just sprayed herself in the face with the stuff. Her partner had to haze a bear and then go to her rescue. Pretty silly.
Old 08-25-2012, 09:00 PM   #8
perterra
-. --- .--. .

Oddometer: 7,400
Had a friend who used to guide in Alaska, he carried a Remington 870 12 ga slug gun with rifle sights as a camp gun.

IBA 22425
perterra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 09:09 PM   #9
Weirdo
Welcome to you're "DOOM"

Quote:
Originally Posted by perterra View Post
Had a friend who used to guide in Alaska, he carried a Remington 870 12 ga slug gun with rifle sights as a camp gun.

Here's my 870 as short as we're allowed here in Canada. It's also a great bear stopper. As you can see its shorter than my 45-70. If you wanted to pack a gun down side webbing of a back pack, I'd go with the shorty 870. If I was going to carry a slung gun for quick response, I'd carry the 45-70. I find it easier to shoot quickly, something that I figure is important during a bear charge.

Weirdo screwed with this post 08-25-2012 at 09:59 PM
Old 08-25-2012, 09:23 PM   #10
Manuel Garcia O'Kely
Back at last

Oddometer: 12,750
I would not have thought of the .45-70 but that is a hell of a cartridge and not to hard to come by. I have that rifle in .30-30 and actually keep it handy for the local browns, it's reliable in it's lever action, and I like the hammer design.

I think if it were me in your shoes, I'd use a 12 ga with 3" magnums, alternate 00/slugs maybe if I felt really brave, #7.5 in the chamber for a warning shot. Get the short barrel 870 or similar so it's easy to swing - I guess a sling goes without saying.

I have never had that close an encounter, our local brown is a fraidy cat and won't stand a harsh word! When I was in Alaska, I saw surprisingly few bears and in two months we only had one in-campground experience that we knew about. Being as we drove thru Canada, we had bear spray and no firearms.

There's casting, then there's running into the stream with a baseball bat trying to club the fish to death. - Jim Moore
Manuel Garcia O'Kely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 09:47 PM   #11
OldPete
Be aware

Oddometer: 4,650
If money is a non-issue and portability is, look at the Copilot version of the Marlin Guide Gun.
http://wildwestguns.com/copilot.html

I gotta wimpy Marlin lever gun in 45 Colt.
OldPete is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 09:52 PM   #12
Neil E.
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 292
12ga with slugs or the heaviest buckshot is the way to go. You can practice skeet shooting with a short barrel pump and get very proficient. Find a range that won't get upset if you don't mount the gun before firing. You will become good at mounting the gun, sighting and firing in one smooth action. Speed and ease of handling are your best friends if a bear gets close enough to be a threat.

No need for a barrel with sights for what you want to do. Cylinder bore (or a slight choke) with a front bead is adequate. Winchester pump shotguns have a rotary bolt head and are very fast to operate. Go with the minimum legal barrel length. A gunshop can modify a long barrel to suit your needs at minimal cost.

Rifle cartridges are overkill for short distance self preservation work and are more expensive if you practice enough to be a good shot.

Neil E. screwed with this post 08-25-2012 at 10:00 PM
Neil E. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 10:02 PM   #13
skysailor OP
Rat Rider

Oddometer: 3,476
I was looking at a Sako 85 in .375 H&H, too slow. A Marlin lever in .357. Too light.
Good old fashioned pump 12 looks the way to go. Love the 45-70 though. Any thoughts to the first one being non-lethal? And if so, what?
Lyle
skysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 10:13 PM   #14
TwilightZone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,898
>"Had a friend who used to guide in Alaska, he carried a Remington 870 12 ga slug gun with rifle sights as a camp gun. "

Bingo. 12 ga shotgun with slugs.
Could also carry a Mossberg... that one is pretty cheap.
Old 08-26-2012, 05:15 AM   #15
seuadr
Wee-stromer

Oddometer: 773
I read that title as "beer gun" several times before it made sense to me
seuadr is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: