Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 11 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-09-2012, 05:47 PM   #166
HardCase
winter is coming

Oddometer: 9,700
Quote:
Originally Posted by skysailor View Post
Picked up a new Marlin lever .357 today....is this thing ever little!
Lyle

Awesome! Enjoy it. Yes, they are little. Compact, light, quick handling. That's why my girlfriend likes mine so much......and on the 21st it'll be hers!

Hard cases make bad law.
HardCase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 06:24 PM   #167
skysailor OP
Rat Rider

Oddometer: 3,300
Quote:
Originally Posted by HardCase View Post

Awesome! Enjoy it. Yes, they are little. Compact, light, quick handling. That's why my girlfriend likes mine so much......and on the 21st it'll be hers!
You're speaking of the Marlin, right?
skysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 07:03 PM   #168
HardCase
winter is coming

Oddometer: 9,700
Quote:
You're speaking of the Marlin, right?

Hard cases make bad law.
HardCase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 09:29 AM   #169
FatChance
Road Captain

Oddometer: 10,015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurgen View Post
What I like is how easily it is broken down into two parts for on bike storage.
There are other much less expensive options to get an effective, easily broken down all-around travel-friendly defense shotgun. This is an old Sears version of a Stevens 520 12ga pump (Designed by J. M. Browning). I had the barrel cut down (18.25") with a screw-in choke and new front bead and a recoil pad installed. I may even disassemble it this winter and apply one of the Brownell's spray on finishes and install some sling swivel studs. If you look around and use some imagination there are some other options out there...

This is what it looked like when I got it. A diamond in the rough!

- Calculated risk or forbidden fruit?
FatChance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 09:34 AM   #170
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Oddometer: 20,305
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatChance View Post
There are other much less expensive options to get an effective, easily broken down all-around travel-friendly defense shotgun. This is an old Sears version of a Stevens 520 12ga pump (Designed by J. M. Browning). I had the barrel cut down (18.25") with a screw-in choke and new front bead and a recoil pad installed. I may even disassemble it this winter and apply one of the Brownell's spray on finishes and install some sling swivel studs. If you look around and use some imagination there are some other options out there...

This is what it looked like when I got it. A diamond in the rough!

Where does the bolt disappear to?

"Never bring a Nerf gun to a shovel fight." - My Brother
EvilGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 09:43 AM   #171
FatChance
Road Captain

Oddometer: 10,015
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilGenius View Post
Where does the bolt disappear to?
It goes straight back into the receiver. To take apart, pull back on the slide to unlock and clear the bolt into the rear of the receiver, unscrew the magazine tube to clear the receiver, push the slide forward to disconnect the pump action arm and then drop the barrel assembly out of the bottom of the receiver. No tools, takes under 10 seconds.

- Calculated risk or forbidden fruit?

FatChance screwed with this post 09-10-2012 at 09:50 AM
FatChance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 10:02 AM   #172
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Oddometer: 20,305
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatChance View Post
It goes straight back into the receiver. To take apart, pull back on the slide to unlock and clear the bolt into the rear of the receiver, unscrew the magazine tube to clear the receiver, push the slide forward to disconnect the pump action arm and then drop the barrel assembly out of the bottom of the receiver. No tools, takes under 10 seconds.
Nice!

"Never bring a Nerf gun to a shovel fight." - My Brother
EvilGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 11:02 AM   #173
Remy
Woe is uh a me bop!

Oddometer: 887
On my lunchtime walk today, I saw a bumper sticker that read "Garbage Kills Bears". Maybe the op should carry a bag of garbage!
Remy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 06:46 PM   #174
doc_ricketts
Thumper jockey

Oddometer: 4,573
Quote:
Originally Posted by HardCase View Post
That's not a bad idea, Jurgen. African hunters used big double-rifles for dangerous game like lion, rhino, elephant and Cape Buffalo, thinking two fast basically semi-automatic shots was better than having to work a bolt-action with a higher capacity.

I think I mentioned earlier in this thread that I bought a 45/70 Marlin Guide Gun a few years back in anticipation of a motorcycle trip to Alaska. I planned to camp at least 1/2 of the time enroute and wanted something to keep in the tent with me......probably more of a placebo than anthing if a bear decided to make me into a midnight snack, but I thought it would help me sleep better at night and might offer some level of security. I found lashing it to the bike a problematic exercise, however. It could be done, but it wasn't an ideal setup. I think it's possible to send Guide Guns off to be converted into take-downs. That'd be a good way to go, but it isn't inexpensive.
I keep the stock mount screw out of my Guide Gun all the time and just slip the stock back into the fork on the back of the action when ready to shoot. I also removed the front hand piece on the barrel/mag section because it and the clamp cause thermal drift in as the barrel heats up. So it makes a pretty compact package to stick in my little backpack on the back of the DR. But I usually don't carry it, although it would be a nice 6 lb bear gun for camping in bear country.
Old 09-15-2012, 12:53 PM   #175
morerpmfred
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 138
Couple of cell phone pics of new guns at the local gun show.
These three shotguns are all dominion. Top left has a 10.5 inch barrel with a five shot clip. Middle shottie has 8.5 inch barrel and the bottom shottie has a 12.5 inch barrel. All pump action and non restrictive and legal for hunting for us Canadians. And should all fit in a tall day pack.

This on is a henry mare,s gun in 44 mag or 357 mag or 45 colt and should fit in a day pack as well.
morerpmfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 04:05 PM   #176
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,030
Quote:
Originally Posted by morerpmfred View Post
Couple of cell phone pics of new guns at the local gun show.

These three shotguns are all dominion. Top left has a 10.5 inch barrel with a five shot clip. Middle shottie has 8.5 inch barrel and the bottom shottie has a 12.5 inch barrel. All pump action and non restrictive and legal for hunting for us Canadians. And should all fit in a tall day pack.

This on is a henry mare,s gun in 44 mag or 357 mag or 45 colt and should fit in a day pack as well.
problem for Americans ... it's got to be legal here too. paperwork hassles to own a shotty shorter than 18in is just not worth it.

super compact M6 Scout setup is coming along...

_cy_ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 12:07 AM   #177
legion
Lard Council

Oddometer: 12,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by _cy_ View Post
don't laugh... Eskimos hunt polar bears with .22 hornet.
Not really. They'll run 'em down w/ a snowmachine and then pester them to death with a couple dozen .22 rounds but it's not a pretty thing and without the snowmachine there would be a lot of natives eaten while trying to insert .22 rounds in a bear's hide.
legion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 07:58 AM   #178
seuadr
Wee-stromer

Oddometer: 743
Quote:
super compact M6 Scout setup is coming along...
you built this?
seuadr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 09:04 PM   #179
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,030
Quote:

here's latest progress working up loads for .22 Hornet with Lil Gun. which produces lower pressures, almost impossible to overload .22 Hornet's tiny case. challenge becomes how to get 14gr into case. electric toothbrush vibrates settling powder into case.

three loaded .22 Hornet shells from left:
Win 64gr PP 14.0gr Lil Gun, Hdy 53gr BTHP 13.6gr Lil Gun, Hdy 40gr VMx 13.5gr Lil Gun
stability figured out on JBMballistic calc http://www.jbmballistics.com/cgi-bin/jbmstab-5.1.cgi small pistol primers with Win cases for 64gr & 53gr loads. small rifle primer for 40gr load.

.224 bullets to chose from from my bullet drawer. challenge is finding a load with heavy bullets that's stable with 1:13 twist barrel. Lil Gun has the lowest pressure of any powder.
finally got to the gun range to chrony .22 hornet loads:

1. Win 64gr PP 14.0gr Lil Gun, 2695 fps = 1031 ft lbs
2. Hdy 53gr BTHP 13.6gr Lil Gun, 2655 fps = 891 ft lbs
3. Hdy 40gr VMx 13.5gr Lil Gun, 2840 fps = 716 ft lbs

1031 ft lbs energy is firmly into .44 magnum territory
too bad the bullet is tumbling or unstable.

just loaded some 55gr spitzer with 14gr Lil Gun ... we'll see how that goes...

_cy_ screwed with this post 09-20-2012 at 05:38 PM
_cy_ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 03:11 AM   #180
ZzyzyxRd
Home of the odds

Oddometer: 11,338
Quote:
So natural.
Now that's what I'd call custom stabilizers.

ZzyzyxRd is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: