Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-22-2012, 05:54 AM   #196
davsato
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 798
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilGenius View Post
I've read about some shotgun snobs claiming that there can be reliability issues with the single trigger clockwork mechanisms.

Two triggers gives you more control if you've got two different chokes/shells loaded, but there's the issue of accidentally setting both off and/or injuring your hand if you do.
yeah, those "experts" again. single trigger with top strap barrel selector/auto safety has survived completely untouched, 500ish shells a month for 22ish years on my beretta O/U trap gun. utterly trustworthy, actions never been off the woodwork.
Old 09-22-2012, 06:19 AM   #197
mogwai
humorless prick

Oddometer: 4,231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remy View Post
On my lunchtime walk today, I saw a bumper sticker that read "Garbage Kills Bears". Maybe the op should carry a bag of garbage!
You probably understood the bumper sticker, but I'll explain it for the less keen

Similar to "A fed bear is a dead bear"

REfers to the fact that bears that are routinely in garbage or at feed piles lose any fear of hoomans, become pests around restaurants and campgrounds and will attack campers and other people. They then are killed.

Bad game for the bears.
Old 09-22-2012, 10:10 AM   #198
CodeMonkee
Geek Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukeryder View Post

BOT
I'm thinkin' about swapping my Colt Trooper for a S&W 629 PD, to keep as a camping/hiking gun. I'm not really worried about a bear mauling me, but if there's a hungry pack of Coyotes trying to attack my dog, or a Mt. Lion, I think it'd do the job. Plus it's pretty damn light for a .44 Mag.
These are nice, but they kick like a mule. I like mine, but with a bear load the recoil is stout to say the least and not fun to shoot at all - my hand stung quite a bit (no friggin way you want to shoot these with the wood grips - I Only shoot mine with the rubber grips). Even with 240 gr. .44 Special the recoil is quite noticeable. I bought some 200 grain .44 special loads, but haven't tried them yet.

I do intend to get it ported. I hear no one will do any trigger work on it because it has MIM parts in the trigger. Not that it needs it much - but it wouldn't hurt.

My intention is to carry it with the 200 grain .44 special loads, which should be fine for anything I encounter in Oregon - unless I go hunting buff up in the NE corner (there are some wild ones there now). No Brown Bears in Oregon, but there are some in WA state - possibly as far south as Rainier. I doubt they will ever get into Oregon - unlikely that they would swim across the Columbia.

I also have a Taurus .357 Titanium Tracker and that is just plain fun to shoot, but I don't trust it; the cylinder gap is about .001" and after fifty rounds the powder debris will lock it up. Still, it is nice little field gun. I may have someone do some reliability and trigger work on it.
Not all who wander are lost
CodeMonkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 01:02 PM   #199
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,831
Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeMonkee View Post
These are nice, but they kick like a mule. I like mine, but with a bear load the recoil is stout to say the least and not fun to shoot at all - my hand stung quite a bit (no friggin way you want to shoot these with the wood grips - I Only shoot mine with the rubber grips). Even with 240 gr. .44 Special the recoil is quite noticeable. I bought some 200 grain .44 special loads, but haven't tried them yet.

I like this first paragraph from http://www.scopedin.com/reviews/fire...wesson-329-pd/ on it:

"All guns can be divided into two categories: those you buy because you want to shoot them, and those you buy because someday you might need to shoot them. Clearly falling into the latter category is the Smith & Wesson 329PD, a 26 ounce package that can shoot .44 magnum cartridges until you’re ready to cry uncle from the recoil. Which probably won’t be long."

Much the same for the 642 Airweight I carry. It was nice to finally own a S&W, but it became apparent that it was to be used on a need-to-shoot basis (for other than training), and not a pleasant weapons to shoot. But I didn't make that mistake others make by selling it because I didn't like to shoot it... it's that light weight that means I have it with me far more than I would a 1911, my Glock (which I gave up CCW carrying a long time ago), or other pistols.

If I were a hiker and going into bear country, that pistol would probably be a serious contender unless someone convinced me that a carbine with a larger rifle cartridge was my only hope.
Mambo Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 02:19 PM   #200
CodeMonkee
Geek Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambo Dave View Post
I like this first paragraph from http://www.scopedin.com/reviews/fire...wesson-329-pd/ on it:

"All guns can be divided into two categories: those you buy because you want to shoot them, and those you buy because someday you might need to shoot them. Clearly falling into the latter category is the Smith & Wesson 329PD, a 26 ounce package that can shoot .44 magnum cartridges until you’re ready to cry uncle from the recoil. Which probably won’t be long."

Much the same for the 642 Airweight I carry. It was nice to finally own a S&W, but it became apparent that it was to be used on a need-to-shoot basis (for other than training), and not a pleasant weapons to shoot. But I didn't make that mistake others make by selling it because I didn't like to shoot it... it's that light weight that means I have it with me far more than I would a 1911, my Glock (which I gave up CCW carrying a long time ago), or other pistols.

If I were a hiker and going into bear country, that pistol would probably be a serious contender unless someone convinced me that a carbine with a larger rifle cartridge was my only hope.
Totally agree. I knew this would be a "bear" gun - in that it is a bear in the recoil dept.

I totally bought it for the reason that I would not be shooting it for pleasure, but rather for those times when I would be leaving everything else at home but wanted something more than the Taurus Ti Tracker.
Old 09-22-2012, 09:02 PM   #201
Dukeryder

Oddometer: 7,177
Quote:

I do intend to get it ported. I hear no one will do any trigger work on it because it has MIM parts in the trigger. Not that it needs it much - but it wouldn't hurt.

My intention is to carry it with the 200 grain .44 special loads, which should be fine for anything I encounter in Oregon - unless I go hunting buff up in the NE corner (there are some wild ones there now). No Brown Bears in Oregon, but there are some in WA state - possibly as far south as Rainier. I doubt they will ever get into Oregon - unlikely that they would swim across the Columbia.

I also have a Taurus .357 Titanium Tracker and that is just plain fun to shoot, but I don't trust it; the cylinder gap is about .001" and after fifty rounds the powder debris will lock it up. Still, it is nice little field gun. I may have someone do some reliability and trigger work on it.
good feedback! I Should've thought about that recoil before hand and that it would have some major kick since it's so light.

I went to the gun show today and didn't see a single one. I brought my Nickel plated Colt Trooper trying to trade it off or sell it. Ended up buying ANOTHER .357, a mint Dan Wesson 6" Model 15-2. I haven't seen one come up for sale at a show in quite awhile, so I had to buy it. Best shooting $400 gun ever, much better than the Colt for about 1/2 the money. Anyway this is about bear guns and a .357 probably won't cut it against a Brown.

Dukeryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 09:04 PM   #202
HardCase
winter is coming

Oddometer: 9,505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambo Dave View Post

I use the term "carried often, fired seldom" to describe uber lightweight magnums. My brother-in-law had a 329 and I fired a cylinder-full of 240 grain 44 Mag. Remington factory fodder though it......with the pretty but hard wooden grips.....and it was purely brutal.

I have a 327 2" 357, it's an N-frame scandium/Ti gun, weighs 22 ounces, and it's not bad, but 357 is a lot less robust than a 44. I also have a 340PD, an 11 ounce J-frame horror-show of a 357, and that thing is just plain nasty to shoot with hot loads.

These guns are interesting, and they do carry nicely. But in a bad situation people tend to default to their training, and if they haven't done any training with a given gun because it's miserable to shoot, one wonders how that is going to go. Thus, I tend to rely on full steel heavier guns for woods carry, and practice with them a fair bit too.

Hard cases make bad law.
HardCase is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 09:10 PM   #203
Dukeryder

Oddometer: 7,177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuel Garcia O'Kely View Post
If I go in the woods I wear my .38 special - biggest I have at the moment but enough to scare 'em away. I may find something bigger but for these I think I'm OK, they are far from agressive.
Yeah just the bang will scare the hell out of him!

Back East my buddy used to have them come in his yard all the time to eat the bird feed; he kept a bolt action .22 on the back of his couch loaded with .22lr "bird shot", he'd dump the BBs out and shoot the bears in the ass with the plastic wad that's inside there, I don't know if it was the sting or the noise but they wouldn't come back after that.

In Boulder when they had the killer Mt. Lions back in the 90s the game warden gave out rubber buckshot to people in the foothills to shoot the Mt. Lions with. It wouldn't kill them but scare the hell out them and they won't come back after getting thumped by rubber buck shot.

Dukeryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 08:37 AM   #204
CodeMonkee
Geek Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardCase View Post
I use the term "carried often, fired seldom" to describe uber lightweight magnums. My brother-in-law had a 329 and I fired a cylinder-full of 240 grain 44 Mag. Remington factory fodder though it......with the pretty but hard wooden grips.....and it was purely brutal.

I have a 327 2" 357, it's an N-frame scandium/Ti gun, weighs 22 ounces, and it's not bad, but 357 is a lot less robust than a 44. I also have a 340PD, an 11 ounce J-frame horror-show of a 357, and that thing is just plain nasty to shoot with hot loads.

These guns are interesting, and they do carry nicely. But in a bad situation people tend to default to their training, and if they haven't done any training with a given gun because it's miserable to shoot, one wonders how that is going to go. Thus, I tend to rely on full steel heavier guns for woods carry, and practice with them a fair bit too.
The very first thing I did with my 329 was remove the wood grips. I have never shot it with them and don't intend to - mine don't look that good anyway.

I will practice enough to know what I can do with the gun, but I don't intend to shoot it a lot. I carried a DW .44 Mag in Alaska and got tired of the weight real quick, even though it was one of the sweetest shooting revolvers I ever owned (certainly the most accurate).

It just comes down to deciding whether I am going to carry or not, and this is the gun I would carry when I am tempted to not carry but should (in the field anyway, I have different carry guns for "social" situations). In fact, this gun will probably be on my person most of the time when I am walking around in the woods or in the bags of my dirt bike.
Old 09-23-2012, 09:05 AM   #205
HardCase
winter is coming

Quote:
The very first thing I did with my 329 was remove the wood grips. I have never shot it with them and don't intend to - mine don't look that good anyway.

I will practice enough to know what I can do with the gun, but I don't intend to shoot it a lot. I carried a DW .44 Mag in Alaska and got tired of the weight real quick, even though it was one of the sweetest shooting revolvers I ever owned (certainly the most accurate).

It just comes down to deciding whether I am going to carry or not, and this is the gun I would carry when I am tempted to not carry but should (in the field anyway, I have different carry guns for "social" situations). In fact, this gun will probably be on my person most of the time when I am walking around in the woods or in the bags of my dirt bike.
If a guy were a handloader I think it'd be good to load up a bunch of light/target/practice loads in either 44 Mag or 44 Special brass, and shoot it a bunch. That'd be a lot of fun for one thing, and would give a guy some default training in handling the gun to boot. I'm a long-time handloader and enjoy doing that almost as much as shooting the ammo I make. I am something of a fan of using magnum brass in magnum chambers. My pappy taught me that using special brass in mag chambers could, over time, erode said chambers, or gum/lead them up a little bit, making extraction of subsequent magnum brass sticky. Plus it reduces bullet jump from cylinder to bore thus, at least theoretically, improving accuracy.

I carry a 4" 500 S&W in the field. We do have griz around here and I've had a couple of encounters with them over the years, although nothing too threatening thusfar. It is a very hefty gun, even in 4" iteration, but the 500 round (especially the Cor-Bon 440 grain, or handloaded equivalent) inspires confidence. I have often wondered if S&W will ever try to make an ultra-light 500.

Hard cases make bad law.
Old 09-23-2012, 09:30 AM   #206
CodeMonkee
Geek Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardCase View Post
If a guy were a handloader I think it'd be good to load up a bunch of light/target/practice loads in either 44 Mag or 44 Special brass, and shoot it a bunch. That'd be a lot of fun for one thing, and would give a guy some default training in handling the gun to boot. I'm a long-time handloader and enjoy doing that almost as much as shooting the ammo I make. I am something of a fan of using magnum brass in magnum chambers. My pappy taught me that using special brass in mag chambers could, over time, erode said chambers, or gum/lead them up a little bit, making extraction of subsequent magnum brass sticky. Plus it reduces bullet jump from cylinder to bore thus, at least theoretically, improving accuracy.
I do have reloading gear, including .44 Mag./Special dies I have used, but because I didn't have a shop I haven't reloaded in years. Now I have a nice shop so I will probably setup a reloading bench. I do have some nice light loads, including loads where I used dacron filler (worked very well) with a few grains of fast powder, that worked well in the DW. 44 Mag. - but that gun shot well with any load (I got consisten 0.5" groups at 25 yards with it).

Quote:
I carry a 4" 500 S&W in the field. We do have griz around here and I've had a couple of encounters with them over the years, although nothing too threatening thusfar. It is a very hefty gun, even in 4" iteration, but the 500 round (especially the Cor-Bon 440 grain, or handloaded equivalent) inspires confidence. I have often wondered if S&W will ever try to make an ultra-light 500.
No Griz here, so .44 Special is fine most of the time. Winchester makes a nice .44 Special defensive load with 200 grain JHP "Silvertips" that would be fine for almost anything I would likely encounter around here - indeed, the .357 Mag Taurus I have would be fine too, but I prefer the S&W - more dependable and just as light, although a bit larger.
Old 09-23-2012, 10:59 AM   #207
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,462
firm believer in the best gun is the one on your person. your .454 hand cannon or 30-06 does little if/when you actually need it .. it's at home.

my fav 340PD weights 14oz packing .357 magnum rounds. 11oz empty. what really counts is loaded weight. IHMO the less obtrusive, the more likely you will have that weapon on your person. if/when you actually will need it.

340PD with Crimson Trace and quick load 3.57 rounds

_cy_ screwed with this post 09-23-2012 at 11:06 AM
_cy_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 12:03 PM   #208
RedRocker
Native Texican

Oddometer: 5,218
Saw these in Yellowstone, only shot them with a G11.
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."
RedRocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 12:04 PM   #209
MillCreek
ADV Risk Manager

Oddometer: 1,566
^^^ _cy_, that is a very interesting jacket configuration on the JHP rounds. I don't recognize the load. Can you please share the ammunition specifics?
2012 Suzuki DL650A as the current bike
Whole bunch of bikes in the past
MillCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 12:26 PM   #210
HardCase
winter is coming

Quote:
No Griz here, so .44 Special is fine most of the time. Winchester makes a nice .44 Special defensive load with 200 grain JHP "Silvertips" that would be fine for almost anything I would likely encounter around here - indeed, the .357 Mag Taurus I have would be fine too, but I prefer the S&W - more dependable and just as light, although a bit larger.

Back in '85 I bought one of the Lew Horton 624s, an N-frame 44 Special with a 3" barrel and so-called combat grips. I loaded some nice lead-bullet loads for it and put a couple hundred rounds through it, then cleaned it and stuck it in my desk drawer......for 25 years! I loaded it with those 200 grain Silvertip factory loads. It did defensive duty in my office for all those years, never having to be used, fortunately. Then one day I was at a gun show and discovered what they were asking for those things these days! I decided to retire it, took it to the range and shot the old ammo, then brought it home found the original box with tools and even a special holster that it came with, cleaned it up and put it away. It's a safe-queen now. The decades old Silvertip ammo worked great after all those years!

Hard cases make bad law.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: