User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 25 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-27-2012, 02:37 PM   #76
68deluxe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 13,402
Never forget a chat I had one time with a professional diver. I asked him about shark defense and he showed me the knife he carried. I asked how effective it was. His answer, "it is not for the shark". He said even if he was able to get a few good hits on a great white shark by that time the attack would be past the point of no return.
Old 08-27-2012, 02:47 PM   #77
kobudo28
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,855
As once posted on this forum in a similar thread..."If you are thinking about using a handgun as a defense weapon on bears, please make sure that you file the front site down or remove it all together. That way it won't hurt as much when the bear takes it from you and shoves it up your ass."

12 ga all the way, 3 inch or 3 1/2", for the numerous reasons already stated. Slugs, period!!! There are some folding stock and tele-stock options to help keep the gun in a smaller profile when needed but still give you the advantage that a full stock offers. I love my speed-feed stock on my 590 Mossberg. 4 extra rounds at the ready in a low profile, non snag package.
Old 08-27-2012, 07:14 PM   #78
morerpmfred
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 139
For you who can legally carry hand guns in the bush. Armco out of Prince George B.C. Modifies a 1911. It uses 308 brass shortened and shots 230 grains out the barrel at about 1800 fps. It is not on his website you have to phone him and ask about it.
For my short barrel shotgun it goes in my pack. Nothing sticking out to get anyone excited about ever. Stock bead sites. Nothing to snag or hang up if I have to pull it out in a hurry. Have seen the odd quader carry his on his quad as well as the occasional dirt biker. The slugs that work for me are rio brand from spain. The only slug that does a one inch group at fifty yards. Everything else does like six inch group at fifty. The shot gun that I have is available from Marstar Canada and mine has a 14.5 inch barrel and the hp9 they have are 12.5 inches.
morerpmfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 08:01 PM   #79
doc_ricketts
Thumper jockey

Oddometer: 5,159
I thought I replied to this thread earlier, but just saw it again (?). As I said on this or another thread, my bear gun while working in Alaska was a Browning autoloader in .300 WM. After I saw that thing put big holes in 1" steel plate, that is what I wanted to carry. I like autoloaders for security weapons. Now I have a Marlin 45/70, but would still choose the Browning autoloader. I think I could put four shots in a bear ten yards or more away and would depend on not the first one, but one of them being fatal. Two many times a shot can ricochet off the skull or a bone and not do fatal damage.
Old 08-27-2012, 08:59 PM   #80
SimpleSimon
Aspiring advrider

Oddometer: 3,389
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weirdo View Post
Marlin 45-70 1895 guide gun.

It's what I have for my bear gun. It's a freak'n cannon, easy(isn) to shoot well and fast, plus compact for easy carry.

I love mine, even if I'm Canadian.
This.

"Assembled Spectator Scoring With Incriminating Photographic Evidence" or A.S.S.W.I.P.E. - Granparacer
SimpleSimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 09:13 PM   #81
perterra
-. --- .--. .

Oddometer: 7,400
Quote:
Originally Posted by HardCase View Post
There was a "government hunter" here back in the 1930s who got one of the first 220 Swift rifles and subsequently used it to shoot numerous deer, elk and even some bear. He swore by it, claimed it produced instant kills. It would not be my choice, however. I'm sure he was an excellent shot and also had a very steady hand. I'd guess that the guy with the 22/250 was damned lucky!

I seem to recall it going up through the roof of the bears mouth, still the concussion of that little pill an inch from the muzzle must have been tremendous.

IBA 22425
perterra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 09:26 PM   #82
BigIron
Tenured Prof - Leghump U.

Oddometer: 796
Quote:
I'd certainly urge the 10mm with some stompin' loads as a decent option.
Buffalo Bore 220 grain hard cast.
BigIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 09:33 PM   #83
Iron Horse
I Make Shit Up

Oddometer: 9,144
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weirdo View Post
Marlin 45-70 1895 guide gun.

It's what I have for my bear gun. It's a freak'n cannon, easy(isn) to shoot well and fast, plus compact for easy carry.

I love mine, even if I'm Canadian.
x2
Old 08-28-2012, 07:24 AM   #84
HardCase
winter is coming

Oddometer: 10,154
Quote:
Originally Posted by perterra View Post
I seem to recall it going up through the roof of the bears mouth, still the concussion of that little pill an inch from the muzzle must have been tremendous.
Oh yeah. The muzzle-blast from a high-intensity rifle itself would do some damage. There was a case here about 20 years back where a friend of my son fired on his whackjob step-father as the guy was abusing the kid's mother. The kid had picked up a 7mm Rem. Mag rifle and told his step-dad that if he didn't stop he'd shoot. Step-dad didn't believe him so the kid cranked off a round in the direction of the guy's crotch, from a range of a couple of inches. The bullet missed by a fraction of an inch but the muzzle blast shredded the guy's jeans and tighty-whities, totally skinned his package, and removed his left nut, and also caused some serious bruising. Step-dad spent the next month in the hospital and still walks a little bow-legged.

Hard cases make bad law.
HardCase is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 10:44 AM   #85
doc_ricketts
Thumper jockey

For those that want to use a 300 WM for bear, here is a good thread with pics of lots of big bears so felled. And again, having a 300 WM autoloader that shoots 4 rounds as fast as you can pull the trigger is a real plus:
http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthr...zzly_and_moose
Old 08-28-2012, 11:32 AM   #86
HardCase
winter is coming

Oddometer: 10,154
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc_ricketts View Post
For those that want to use a 300 WM for bear, here is a good thread with pics of lots of big bears so felled. And again, having a 300 WM autoloader that shoots 4 rounds as fast as you can pull the trigger is a real plus:
http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthr...zzly_and_moose
You mean as fast as you can dig the scope out of your eye-socket for a follow-up shot?

I remember as a teenager my dad had a 300 Weatherby Mag. One day I took it without his knowledge/consent and started blasting at a target at 100 yards. Third or fourth shot the scope nailed me right between the eyes. I still have the semi-circular scar there. No way I was able to hide my transgression from the old man either.

Hard cases make bad law.
HardCase is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 12:12 PM   #87
doc_ricketts
Thumper jockey

Quote:
You mean as fast as you can dig the scope out of your eye-socket for a follow-up shot?

I remember as a teenager my dad had a 300 Weatherby Mag. One day I took it without his knowledge/consent and started blasting at a target at 100 yards. Third or fourth shot the scope nailed me right between the eyes. I still have the semi-circular scar there. No way I was able to hide my transgression from the old man either.
No scope on mine, just fitted with a buckhorn rear. It had great balance, just like the Guide Gun. And my Browning was 300 Winchester Magnum, a little less explosive than the Weatherby version.
Old 08-28-2012, 12:12 PM   #88
Weirdo
Welcome to you're "DOOM"

Oddometer: 4,456
Quote:
Originally Posted by morerpmfred View Post
And yes I have only shot one black bear in my tent. You have no time to think or react when bears happen.
I'd like to hear that story. Were you and the bear in the tent together???

My step sister was bluff charged by a black bear years ago, she bought the bear's story hook line and sinker and ran. The bear caught her in about two steps and kicked the shit out of her. Lucky for her the tree planting forman saw the whole thing happen and took his truck off road and almost ran the bear down.

Beth doesn't like bears much anymore.
Weirdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 12:38 PM   #89
morerpmfred
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 139
Camped out grayling fishing up north. Seen a small black bear( think teenager with attititude ) 150 lbs ,about 150 yards away. He starts walking over to us then about a hundred yards away starts running towards us. This was before all of the gun restrictions / prohibitions and mag capacity laws of 95. Only gun I had was an m1 carbine with two 30 round mags taped together and it was in the tent. So went to grab it, fishing partner ran of behind the some trees. Come out of the tent and wtf where is he? Friend yells out he,s in the tent. Wrecked the tent so started firing away till he exited running away , keep plugging him till he expired about twenty feey away. Not much of a gun.
morerpmfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 12:45 PM   #90
fastdadio
Still gettin faster

Oddometer: 1,996
Guns for griz?

Spent a summer in Alaska, did a lot of hiking and fishing. Went to Denali, Katmai and other great places of intrest. Had a sow and two cubs approach me while fishing in Katmai. One of the cubs came right up and took the fish I had laying on the bank. I had no where to go. The sow just looked at me from about 50 yds. I dropped my pole and slowly walked down the bank. I consider myself lucky. had a few other casual encounters also. Majestic animals. Based on my encounters, there is only one true griz gun. Check it out:

http://www.barrett.net/firearms/model82a1

Now that ought to do it.
fastdadio is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: