Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-23-2014, 06:19 PM   #1
brownricer OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 132
NJ to Louisiana via Blue Ridge Parkway- done!

... now I just have to turn around and go back...

Left NW NJ Thursday morning on my SilverWing Interstate, loaded with 60 lbs. of stuff. Pouring rain, but it let off while I was in PA.
Arrived at sunset on the BRP, intended camp site was full, so I rode 30-odd miles of the parkway in the dark. Interesting. Found tent space at Otter Creek and slept like a rock.
Enjoyed a full Friday on the BRP; sheer pleasure! Detoured to Marion, NC at nightfall (again, intended site was full); my phone led me to an RV-only site but eventually found a tent site... shared it with two brothers on their bikes who were in the same predicament.
Saturday I backtracked to where I got off the BRP, and rode down to camp at the excellent Blue Ridge Motorcycle Campground in Cruso, NC. Spent two nights there, hanging out with some other CX/GL owners who meet there every year.Met some other moto travelers there, too.

On Sunday I decided to finish the BRP as a day trip, with nothing but the trunk on the GL... that was awesome. Returned to the campground via Cherokee and Asheville... it was just a nice day, and that whole area has amazing roads.
Monday I loaded up again and went to Huntsville, AL to flop at a friend's place, then Tuesday I pressed on t0 NOLA, where I am staying for a bit.
Not sure if I will retrace the BRP on the way home, but this time for sure I will not skip over Skyline Drive, which I hear is worth checking out.