Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-16-2013, 06:19 PM   #16
fishheadAZ OP
SV haver

Oddometer: 73
Thanks for the tips Chris! The PO put in a dirt tricks tensioner. He also had the piston and rings replaced due to them blowing some oil by...I think. I'll have to look in the maintenance log he kept. I know it was done, as he showed me the piston that came out. I'll definitely start looking to find a good suspension shop in the area. The bike has 140 or so hours on it. As for jetting, it has a 168 main, 42 pilot, 45 leak, and OBETP needle at 5th from the top.

Found it: 110.3 hours new piston, rings, base gasket, head gasket, valve guides, and engine oil. Hopefully I should be good there for a while.
fishheadAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:46 PM   #17
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 5,057
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishheadAZ View Post
Thanks for the tips Chris! The PO put in a dirt tricks tensioner. He also had the piston and rings replaced due to them blowing some oil by...I think. I'll have to look in the maintenance log he kept. I know it was done, as he showed me the piston that came out. I'll definitely start looking to find a good suspension shop in the area. The bike has 140 or so hours on it. As for jetting, it has a 168 main, 42 pilot, 45 leak, and OBETP needle at 5th from the top.

Found it: 110.3 hours new piston, rings, base gasket, head gasket, valve guides, and engine oil. Hopefully I should be good there for a while.

Sounds like it's set up well. You should be good. They run like a clock when they're jetted right, easy start and smooth all the way thru the revs.

I forgot I had the FMF can, so 170 was better for below 4-5K feet. I'd drop one for the Sierras. You should be good. If it pops on decel the pilot is too lean. If it surges or bogs you can tune those out too.
browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 08:18 PM   #18
fishheadAZ OP
SV haver

Thanks. I haven't noticed any popping, but will keep my ears open. I think the PO got it as close to perfect as can be. It pulls great from the very bottom all the way up. I've the used the low end a fair bit to get me out of my noob caused blunders in washes and ruts out here west of Phoenix. It pulls like a tractor and fricken flies when things open up. I'm hooked!
fishheadAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 11:28 AM   #19
Paragon68
Yankie Yuppie

Oddometer: 36
My Wife's 2008 250 XCF-W was professionally re-sprung and lowered (by the guy that used to build Lafferty's suspensions when Allen Randt was his Coach... back when Lafferty was winning).

She is 5' 5" and can pretty much flat-foot.

We set it up this way to make the learning curve less extreme, and will eventually raise it tippy-toe height.

Inmate "Cuddles" on my Wife's bike

Old 01-17-2013, 04:39 PM   #20
fishheadAZ OP
SV haver

Thanks for the pics. I'm 5'7", so not super short. I do struggle sometimes though, so proper lowering would probably benefit me quite a bit. I could cheap out and just drop the forks some, but I worry about messing with the geometry. I might try it just for kicks, but if I'm having somebody tear the suspenders down to service them I might as well have them lower it a hair since its already apart.
Old 01-17-2013, 05:01 PM   #21
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 5,057
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishheadAZ View Post
Thanks for the pics. I'm 5'7", so not super short. I do struggle sometimes though, so proper lowering would probably benefit me quite a bit. I could cheap out and just drop the forks some, but I worry about messing with the geometry. I might try it just for kicks, but if I'm having somebody tear the suspenders down to service them I might as well have them lower it a hair since its already apart.
A hair is right, maybe an inch. Otherwise you give up too much. Once you become competent you don't need to put your feet down anyway. A tiptoe on one side is sufficient, just stop on a slope and put that foot down. My best riding buddy is 5-8 and he does not shorten bikes. Rides Vet expert in GP and usually places. When he stops one leg hangs over the seat.
browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 07:11 PM   #22
fishheadAZ OP
SV haver

An inch is all I was thinking...if any at all. I seem to make due more or less.