User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-27-2012, 01:25 AM   #1
gsd4me OP
90% bluff

Oddometer: 7,014
BMW Jackets

Looks like I`ll be getting my trusty Rallye2 jacket replaced after my recent off and am considering buying a BMW Airshell or Boulder jacket. Has anyone had any experience with either of these jackets? Pro`s/cons?

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...uild+australia
gsd4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 04:53 PM   #2
Hikertrash
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,589
I had the Airshell for a couple months. I bought it for a year round jacket, but it was too hot and heavy for summer. The back pad which is extra is very thick and will offer great protection. The dealer said the Boulder is cut the same. The dealer out me in an XL which fit fine with the liner, but was way too big without it and most of my riding was done without the liner. It was my first jacket and I don't think I would buy one again knowing what else is out there. I had the hiviz version.
IBA #50489
Hikertrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 05:39 PM   #3
IKIGAI
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 951
I have both.

Bought the Boulder first, in '05 or '06 I think, but found it too warm for anything but late fall or high mountain riding. Never ever 'unzipped' the sleeves -- don't know why they ever bothered with that little fashion-enhancement.

The Airshell faded to a soft lemony yellow within the first 10 days -- shoulders, back yoke, and a bit of the chest. And it's a bugger to keep clean, but washes up fairly easily.
The updated back amour for the Airshell is better (more ventilation) than the piece that came with the Boulder, and the shoulder/elbow pieces are exactly the same.

None of the zips or snaps have ever failed me (on either jacket). And I do miss the chest pockets that come on the Boulder, but no chest pockets is to be expected with a jacket designed for airflow.

With the quilted liner installed on the Airshell, and an electric vest under that, you can ride comfortably through the mountain passes till the snow flies.
I've ridden through Panamint Valley in July, and with a soaker vest underneath it made the 118F ride bare-able.
So it's fairly close to being a 'full riding season' road jacket for me. I'm assuming your application is for road riding only -- I wouldn't take either of these for a ride through the brush. Who would want high-vis for dusty, muddy, off-road riding anyway?

I think they are both good jackets for the money.
If I was to spend the coin again, I would purchase just the Airshell and pack an electric vest along with the liner for those late season high mountain/evening rides.

Come to think of it, the Boulder is still hanging up in the closet (I haven't touched it since I bought the Airshell in '08) and I should really get rid of it.
IKIGAI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 06:02 PM   #4
Boondox
Travels With Barley

Oddometer: 2,917
Can't comment on the Boulder, but given the heat down south I chose the two year old Airshell as my sole jacket on the ride to and from the MOA Rally in MO. It was a good choice. When I first got it I missed the extra pockets in the RevIt that it replaced (the RevIt fell apart after one year of use) but the air flow was really appreciated in the 108F heat of Missouri.

It fits well, has remained very supple over the past two years and 20k miles, and while it faded a bit it's still very noticeable. Best of all, after my disastrous experience with RevIt, the jacket has stood the test of time and repeated washings very well.

I ride with a long sleeved LD Comfort shirt underneath it. Wet in the summer and dry in the winter. Below 40F I insert the liner. Below 30F I hang it up and break out the Stich with multiple layers underneath. Below 20F I add the Gerbings.
I got a sidecar to travel with my dog. He never complains, is delighted to be with me, approves of my dietary choices, is a social butterfly who helps me meet folks, appreciates a good beer, snuggles better than my wife, and hangs on my every word as if it's the most profound thing he's ever heard. TravelsWithBarley.com
Boondox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 07:36 PM   #5
I-Su.Yu
Adventurer

Oddometer: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSD4ME View Post
Looks like I`ll be getting my trusty Rallye2 jacket replaced after my recent off and am considering buying a BMW Airshell or Boulder jacket. Has anyone had any experience with either of these jackets? Pro`s/cons?
BMW Airshell's excellent.
I-Su.Yu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 08:13 PM   #6
QBZ
n00b

Oddometer: 6
I have a boulder 1. The armor feels like it would be comfortable in a crash. It is too hot for summer. I also never zipped off the sleeves but I could see if you had something like a bag or backpack to put them in it could be useful on a trip. It is a well made jacket. Small letters in orange on the front pocket. Good reflective arm patches and thin stripe on the back. It's a good winter jacket.

I like the features on my dainese ddry for all seasons. It also has the zip off sleeves. Never unzipped either.
The main features I like about this jacket is it has a large pouch on the back, the sleeves have large zip vents (bicep to wrist). It even has a cellphone membrane so you can easily access it for music or calls. I got it in Green, it looks good in Black to but I have an Atlantis 3 so I got a different color.

QBZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 11:40 PM   #7
gsd4me OP
90% bluff

Thanks for those comments, people, they pretty much sum up what I have discovered elsewhere. Looks like the boulder is not a goer, but the Airshell is worth consideration; I priced one today......Aus$950.00.

Old 08-28-2012, 12:15 AM   #8
IKIGAI
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Thanks for those comments, people, they pretty much sum up what I have discovered elsewhere. Looks like the boulder is not a goer, but the Airshell is worth consideration; I priced one today......Aus$950.00.

Sweet Jesus!,....that would buy a lotta bundaberg!

Well they do show up the odd time in the flea market, perhaps you should put in a 'want-to-buy' notice and maybe you'll get lucky.
Old 08-28-2012, 01:19 AM   #9
gsd4me OP
90% bluff

Quote:
Originally Posted by IKIGAI View Post
Sweet Jesus!,....that would buy a lotta bundaberg!

Well they do show up the odd time in the flea market, perhaps you should put in a 'want-to-buy' notice and maybe you'll get lucky.

Or maybe I`ll try some other brand. I`ll be hanging onto the Gore-Tex liner when I send the Rallye2 to the insurers and have been looking at Joe Rocket stuff which I like very much. Haven`t totally given up on the Airshell though.

Old 08-28-2012, 05:35 AM   #10
Xeraux
Archvillain

Oddometer: 30,893
Also, keep in mind the current Boulder jacket is waxed cotton.

If, after I depart this vale, you ever remember me and have thought to please my ghost, forgive some sinner and wink your eye at some homely girl.
Xeraux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 07:34 AM   #11
Hikertrash
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,589
Quote:
Have you looked at Revit's copy of the Airshell?
IBA #50489
Hikertrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 08:15 AM   #12
cliffy109
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,585
Why not the Tourshell? THe advantages are many. It has a waterproof shell for starters which means no stopping to put in a liner if it rains. Venting is fairly decent if reviews are to be believed. It comes with a thermal liner which should keep you warm down to sub-freezing temps. My only criticism of it is the colors. I don't like black because of the heat and the gray is just too... pavement colored. I would love one in a gray/hi-viz combo or even just a straight red.

BTW... I own an Airshell and love it for hot summer days. I hate using the liner. The pockets are too shallow as well and it does fade. It is comfortable though and armor is good. My other jacket is a BMW Tourance II which is now discontinued but had the same advantages as the new Tourshell. Some dealers have leftover Tourance jackets on sale.
cliffy109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 11:06 AM   #13
Schnickelfritz
pick, grin, repeat

Oddometer: 1,892
I liked my Boulder but it was too hot and I never removed the sleeves anyway. I like my Cayenne better, esp if I want lots of pockets, but it's not waterproof. I like my ComfortShell best - c-change mat'l is waterproof w/o needing a liner and gives wide temp range (40F-90F for my comfort), better venting than Boulder, great fit for me, black so it goes with my evening wear. Sleeve vents (like my old AST) and black reflective bits and more of them (instead of just the white chevrons on the shoulders) are the only improvements I'd suggest. It's been replaced this year by the TourShell.
Schnickelfritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 07:51 PM   #14
I-Su.Yu
Adventurer

Oddometer: 77
Quote:
Or maybe I`ll try some other brand. I`ll be hanging onto the Gore-Tex liner when I send the Rallye2 to the insurers and have been looking at Joe Rocket stuff which I like very much. Haven`t totally given up on the Airshell though.
Now and then, like today, a used Airshell turns up in the flea market. I've also seen new ones for sale during the winter months in the US for $325 USD. At SF BMW.
I-Su.Yu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 08:25 PM   #15
IKIGAI
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Su.Yu View Post
Now and then, like today, a used Airshell turns up in the flea market. I've also seen new ones for sale during the winter months in the US for $325 USD. At SF BMW.

Yep. The OP should be jumping on that deal.

I also wear an XL, and have a 45 inch (114ish cm) chest and a 23 inch (58 cm) arm. And I have enough room (just) to accommodate a thin windstopper jacket, and electric vest with the liner installed.

And whole jacket, armour and liner installed, (just took mine of the hanger and plopped it on the kitchen scale) weighs in at just a tad over 2.5 kilo's, if you are wondering about shipping rates.