Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-29-2012, 07:04 AM   #16
DriveShaft OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,293
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayduke View Post

Lot's and lot's of cargo bikes here in Salida; Sometimes there are more bikes downtown than cars.

Here's mine:

Cool, there are a few models here I hadn't heard of.
The 2-wheeled bakfiet was what first got me thinking about cargo bikes.

If I had the dollars to get several (more) bikes, I'd be in, because I think it'd be great for the two rug rats, and grabbing groceries, etc. It'd make easy work of the 1.5 miles it'd have to go between here, the parks, town, etc.
DriveShaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 07:18 AM   #17
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,961
Seems like a yuppie-people-community thing.

I'd be all for it if I wouldn't get maimed or killed by south Florida drivers, but the only road riding I feel safe with, here, is A1A because the speed limits are slower and people who frequent that road are used to bicycles. Even then, the accident rate and death rate seem appalling.

I used to be an avid bicyclist (still have three, plus parts for a fourth I was building), but it became very apparent that the area one lives in plays a crucial role as to if this is a safe option. I just looked at the stats for here in Florida for the 2009 and 2010 years, and the numbers of bicycle accidents seems high, to me, compared to motorcycle accidents where motorcycles are probably more popular forms of transportation, and easily do far more many miles-per-accident.
Mambo Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 07:36 AM   #18
DriveShaft OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipr View Post
Surly Big Dummy... Yuba Mundo in background:

Big Dummy makes a great touring bike as well:

Longtail is where I'm leaning too. That vid is pretty convincing that it'd fit my bill pretty nicely. Geared for faster hauling...enough to be a touring bike. Nice.

Did *not* know about the yuba Mundo, so thanks, folks, for that.

Also stumbled upon the Trek Transport, too--an aluminum-framed workhorse, with some pretty sweet Bontrager farkles.

Old 08-29-2012, 07:44 AM   #19
DriveShaft OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambo Dave View Post

I'd be all for it if I wouldn't get maimed or killed by south Florida drivers, but the only road riding I feel safe with, here, is A1A because the speed limits are slower and people who frequent that road are used to bicycles. Even then, the accident rate and death rate seem appalling.

I used to be an avid bicyclist (still have three, plus parts for a fourth I was building), but it became very apparent that the area one lives in plays a crucial role as to if this is a safe option. I just looked at the stats for here in Florida for the 2009 and 2010 years, and the numbers of bicycle accidents seems high, to me, compared to motorcycle accidents where motorcycles are probably more popular forms of transportation, and easily do far more many miles-per-accident.
Yeah, if you don't live in a community that embraces the lifestyle, you're not going to have much fun. I happen to be in a community that's been working on mixed-use neighborhoods, and "urban village" style urban planning for decades. We've got miles and miles of trails criss-crossing the area, and tons of bike-friendly streets. The bike advocates have quite a vocal part of the local design, right down to influencing rights of way, and traffic studies. The town realized a while ago that it's part of their family-friendly formula for residential tax dollars. I wouldn't even consider it, if it wasn't for the fact that I'm 1.5 miles from 3 grocery stores, 3 miles from a wholesale warehosue store, and a under 4 miles from all sorts of crap including a city. Subways also extend it's usefulness.

I honestly feel that is why you see all these yuppy cheerleaders trying to drum up Internet-spawned momentum. Those bike lanes didn't appear out of the goodness of the average Joe's heart. The usefullness of planning for bikes in a vibrant urban community had to be rammed down some local government's throat to get the crews out their painting bike lanes. So, I guess I don't mind yuppy cheerleaders. Lord knows, I don't have the energy for it, but I thankfully use the fruits of their ambition.
Old 08-29-2012, 07:58 AM   #20
DriveShaft OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOT DAMN! View Post
Word.

The trendy self righteous yuppies spend 2K+ on electric assit cargo bikes, while practical functionality for a few hundred dollars looks like this. My area is flooded with used $50 Burley kid haulers prime for simple conversions to cargo.
I did considered the burley conversion for my trainer. The only thing I don't like abotu Burley adaption is that it's more of a fat pig than it needs to be. The same disinterest in hooking up a burley is the same problem that prevents me from leaving a trailer permanently attached to my car for the same reason, even though alot of the time that's exactly what a 2-seater needs. It's fat. It's unmaneuverable. It's got twice the rolling friction. You're working more than you're enjoying things. And that's why the market is flooded with used $50 burley kid haulers. People figure out that it's only good enough to get you through a tight spot...rug rats. After that...they only want to be on the bike for 5% of their life, which doesn't include hauling crap. They're happy jumping in the car for the rest. Me, I'm kind of thinking I'm in a decent spot where I could be on the bike for alot more, and enjoy it. The way the town is built affords me the liberty, and I think I'm going to cash in on it. I'm really not into buying things, just to toss it out 2 seasons later. If that were the case, screw it, I can get by burning more gas. If I were going for something fat like the burley, I'd go for a bakfiet, and keep it around for decades.

I *am* thinking about converting my trainer with an xtracycle free radical longtail conversion, though. That looks like it might fit the bill, and keep things maneuverable. It'd be like buying a Burley...without the fat.

DriveShaft screwed with this post 08-29-2012 at 08:13 AM
Old 08-29-2012, 09:09 AM   #21
Dukeryder

Oddometer: 7,446
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambo Dave View Post

I'd be all for it if I wouldn't get maimed or killed by south Florida drivers, but the only road riding I feel safe with, here, is A1A...
Those guys in that video are based in Marin County CA, a mecca for smug yuppies! I found the struggling mom scenario in the beginning pretty funny because if you can afford to live in Marin County you're pretty doG damned wealthy, a real struggling mom wouldn't be able to afford the $100+ bike shoes and the $1000+ bicycle in addition to her Volvo either (I'm sure there's a couple Dura Ace Carbon bikes hiding in that garage somewhere too).

Smug people that are lucky enough to live somewhere like Marin County, Portland Or, Boulder CO etc., have no idea what it's like in other cities, or conveniently forget. When I lived in New Orleans we were lucky to get an influx of hipsters after Katrina and the city actually added in bike lanes when they rebuilt a lot of the roads (because of the influence these new people had on the city government) which was awesome (the bike lanes not the hipsters). Where in pre-Katrina NOLA and many other places you literally were taking your life in your hands if you tried to ride your bike any place other than a bike trail. Many, cities aren't set up to accommodate bicycle traffic and drivers don't have the awareness that bicycles are VEHICLES and are allowed to ride on the side of the road by law.

Dukeryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 09:36 AM   #22
HOT DAMN!
♪ ♪ ♪

Oddometer: 7,633
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveShaft View Post
I did considered the burley conversion for my trainer. The only thing I don't like abotu Burley adaption is that it's more of a fat pig than it needs to be. The same disinterest in hooking up a burley is the same problem that prevents me from leaving a trailer permanently attached to my car for the same reason, even though alot of the time that's exactly what a 2-seater needs. It's fat. It's unmaneuverable. It's got twice the rolling friction. You're working more than you're enjoying things. And that's why the market is flooded with used $50 burley kid haulers. People figure out that it's only good enough to get you through a tight spot...rug rats. After that...they only want to be on the bike for 5% of their life, which doesn't include hauling crap. They're happy jumping in the car for the rest. Me, I'm kind of thinking I'm in a decent spot where I could be on the bike for alot more, and enjoy it. The way the town is built affords me the liberty, and I think I'm going to cash in on it. I'm really not into buying things, just to toss it out 2 seasons later. If that were the case, screw it, I can get by burning more gas. If I were going for something fat like the burley, I'd go for a bakfiet, and keep it around for decades.

I *am* thinking about converting my trainer with an xtracycle free radical longtail conversion, though. That looks like it might fit the bill, and keep things maneuverable. It'd be like buying a Burley...without the fat.

That is packed with a lot of assumptions.

Anyway.

You have obviously never riden a loaded cargo bike or aren't really going to use it solely for its intended purpose. Right or wrong, I get the feeling you're still all warm and fuzzy from that video clip. If it works for you, fine. That Trek is an absolute flexible joke with more than 10 pounds onboard. And the "sweet Bontrager farkles", I'll just leave that one alone.

The steel framed Yorba is a hauler for a long tail but limited as well.

Nothing will beat a trailer for hauling cargo, nothing, and for light duty use a rear rack and paniers. Trailers virtually take seconds to connect/disconnect, it's fat because it needs to be inorder to use it for its intended purpose outside of the, "hey look at me on my super trendy, overpriced cargo bike".

If you really want to be on the bike why not afford yourself the option of having a real bike, plus the convenient option to simply hook up a trailer and haul stuff when the rare occasion arrises.

The reason why there are so many used, one dimensional kid haulers on the market is because the little munchkins actually grow up and learn how to ride on their own.

Posers need not apply.

Old 08-29-2012, 09:39 AM   #23
HOT DAMN!
♪ ♪ ♪

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukeryder View Post
Those guys in that video are based in Marin County CA, a mecca for smug yuppies! I found the struggling mom scenario in the beginning pretty funny because if you can afford to live in Marin County you're pretty doG damned wealthy, a real struggling mom wouldn't be able to afford the $100+ bike shoes and the $1000+ bicycle in addition to her Volvo either (I'm sure there's a couple Dura Ace Carbon bikes hiding in that garage somewhere too).
My take as well.
Old 08-29-2012, 09:48 AM   #24
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Oddometer: 10,168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukeryder View Post

Smug people that are lucky enough to live somewhere like Marin County, Portland Or, Boulder CO etc., have no idea what it's like in other cities, or conveniently forget.
A - fucking - men. I cannot believe how much people pay for Volvos!

I grew up in Santa Barbara and got pretty used to hearing people bitch and moan about various things. After living in Los Angeles for 10 years I would feel very lucky to live back in SB again.
Originally Posted by Burnszilla
I was SO high, I could have hunted duck with a rake
Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
MX stuff isn't my cup of tea, but falling down the side of a mountain is
eatpasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 09:51 AM   #25
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag

Oddometer: 5,118
Really? A fight about cargo bikes? *Really* really?

I kinda like that front-loading trike. Makes me want to get one & hand out ice cream sandwiches!
I review motorcycles for 2wheelsandamotor.com
Chisenhallw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 09:57 AM   #26
HOT DAMN!
♪ ♪ ♪

Opposing views.

Plus, I still have a little bit of throw up in my mouth from that video.
Old 08-29-2012, 10:02 AM   #27
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag

Oddometer: 5,118
Quote:
Originally Posted by HOT DAMN! View Post
Opposing views.

Plus, I still have a little bit of throw up in my mouth from that video.
Brother you need to go meditate or get a blow job or something, if you're freaked out by a bike video on the innurtoobz.
I review motorcycles for 2wheelsandamotor.com
Chisenhallw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 10:05 AM   #28
mud
I just wander.....

Oddometer: 1,664
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisenhallw View Post
Really? A fight about cargo bikes? *Really* really?
I wouldn't expect anything less from here.....
mud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 10:14 AM   #29
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,961
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveShaft View Post
Yeah, if you don't live in a community that embraces the lifestyle, you're not going to have much fun. I happen to be in a community that's been working on mixed-use neighborhoods, and "urban village" style urban planning for decades. We've got miles and miles of trails criss-crossing the area, and tons of bike-friendly streets. The bike advocates have quite a vocal part of the local design, right down to influencing rights of way, and traffic studies. The town realized a while ago that it's part of their family-friendly formula for residential tax dollars. I wouldn't even consider it, if it wasn't for the fact that I'm 1.5 miles from 3 grocery stores, 3 miles from a wholesale warehosue store, and a under 4 miles from all sorts of crap including a city. Subways also extend it's usefulness.
I'd agree. Up around Boca Raton there is a bike path that is away from traffic, so they did have the inspiration (and money / rich people / yuppies) to get that done. Maybe they also had the unused land.

Such a thing winding through the neighborhoods, but off of the main roads, seems like a pipe dream further south, here, as we're all just packed in tight.

I like hearing that New Orleans did think about it when rebuilding.
Mambo Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 10:17 AM   #30
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
Industrial tricycles are pretty popular in Northern Mexico.

You might Google "Workman Cycles". They are a US manufacturer of industrial bicycles and tricycles and have been around for ages.
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: