Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-29-2012, 10:31 AM   #31
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,133
Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateJohn View Post
Industrial tricycles are pretty popular in Northern Mexico.

You might Google "Workman Cycles". They are a US manufacturer of industrial bicycles and tricycles and have been around for ages.
In the 1970's and early 1980's they were the rage here in Florida - especially in places with retirees. Eventually it was said that the manufacturer went out of business.

I've since seen one (very clean / fixed up) - maybe two total - in the 9 years I've lived down here.
Mambo Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 10:45 AM   #32
DriveShaft OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,162
Quote:
Originally Posted by HOT DAMN! View Post
That is packed with a lot of assumptions.

Anyway.

You have obviously never riden a loaded cargo bike or aren't really going to use it solely for its intended purpose. Right or wrong, I get the feeling you're still all warm and fuzzy from that video clip. If it works for you, fine. That Trek is an absolute flexible joke with more than 10 pounds onboard. And the "sweet Bontrager farkles", I'll just leave that one alone.

The steel framed Yorba is a hauler for a long tail but limited as well.

Nothing will beat a trailer for hauling cargo, nothing, and for light duty use a rear rack and paniers. Trailers virtually take seconds to connect/disconnect, it's fat because it needs to be inorder to use it for its intended purpose outside of the, "hey look at me on my super trendy, overpriced cargo bike".

If you really want to be on the bike why not afford yourself the option of having a real bike, plus the convenient option to simply hook up a trailer and haul stuff when the rare occasion arrises.

The reason why there are so many used, one dimensional kid haulers on the market is because the little munchkins actually grow up and learn how to ride on their own.

Posers need not apply.

See, you sound more like a "believer" than me. You know what beats a trailer? A fucking pickup truck. If you've got a dorm room hauling mission, and want to do it with a bike, then that's fine by me, but it wouldn't have been the tool I would have picked. What bugs me more than shelling out for overpriced bicycles is shelling out for overpriced uni-tasking solutions to temporary problems, like buying a burley just to sell it after the kids get older, after, what, like 8 uses. That's the fucking yuppy thing to do. Or that ridiculous trailer. I'm sure there's someone who'll make good frequent use out of that thing. But it's definitely not me.

Yeah, we can screw the clip. I'm really not into "the cause." I recognize that I benefit from the fact that people like that exist. But really, I'm in it for shits and giggles. The only reason it's posted is because they show a slew of different kind of cargo bikes, which is really what I'm exploring.

Anyways, yes, I've never really hauled much on a cargo bike. The closest I've come to that is hauling tourists around central park on a ricksaw. And those aren't really what I'm considering, because really, they're a single-tasking tool...great for hauling fat american ass, but not going to fit the bill if you wanted to enjoy hauling a back pack along the Lehigh Gorge State Park Rail-Trail.

Which answers your second comment: yes, I don't plan to use it for its intended purpose all the time. I'm not trying to "make a point," like that guy in your pic. I'm not trying to sell my pickup truck. I mean...it'd be nice if the truck lasts another 2 decades because I put less mileage on it. Fine. But really, I want the entertainment factor. I want to enjoy a nice cool fall season with my kids, & SO. I don't have a ton of money. I have a "medium" amount of money. I can pay a ridiculous amount for a bike if I want. But I'm not going to, if it's just going to be 5% of my life. If it figures in weekly, and I get alot of quality time w/ the family from it...then maybe I'll blow alot of $$ on it. But I'm not going to get a single tasker that I'm tired of in 2 years. I'm going for something that I beat the tar out of for decades.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOT DAMN! View Post
If you really want to be on the bike why not afford yourself the option of having a real bike, plus the convenient option to simply hook up a trailer and haul stuff when the rare occasion arrises.
What exactly "isn't real" about a longtail? Serious question. I'm just now looking into these. I thought the longtail would have been the one bike I would buy, and it'd work for me for 2 decades. And why couldn't I simply hook up a trailer up to it to haul something if'n when I was so ambitious to need more than it can handle?

Frame flex is something I really want to get on one and try out to see exactly what kind of flex we're talking about. I've got to start checking out some local dealers. Are you saying the Trek frame flexes out of personal experience? Of all the models out there, I would have thought the aluminum frame with the short wheelbase would have been the one that *didn't* flex much.

DriveShaft screwed with this post 08-29-2012 at 11:07 AM
DriveShaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 11:20 AM   #33
DriveShaft OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukeryder View Post
Those guys in that video are based in Marin County CA, a mecca for smug yuppies! I found the struggling mom scenario in the beginning pretty funny because if you can afford to live in Marin County you're pretty doG damned wealthy, a real struggling mom wouldn't be able to afford the $100+ bike shoes and the $1000+ bicycle in addition to her Volvo either (I'm sure there's a couple Dura Ace Carbon bikes hiding in that garage somewhere too).

Smug people that are lucky enough to live somewhere like Marin County, Portland Or, Boulder CO etc., have no idea what it's like in other cities, or conveniently forget. When I lived in New Orleans we were lucky to get an influx of hipsters after Katrina and the city actually added in bike lanes when they rebuilt a lot of the roads (because of the influence these new people had on the city government) which was awesome (the bike lanes not the hipsters). Where in pre-Katrina NOLA and many other places you literally were taking your life in your hands if you tried to ride your bike any place other than a bike trail. Many, cities aren't set up to accommodate bicycle traffic and drivers don't have the awareness that bicycles are VEHICLES and are allowed to ride on the side of the road by law.
Did you notice the billboard-sized "Schwinn" signage in her garage? Yeah, I'm sure she's just a happy mom, and not someone involved in the industry.

I don't judge the struggling mom bit. It's even hard work for rich moms to keep up with kids' energy. My sis is one of them, enjoying the life out in the South Bay, and she has noooo time. It's hard work for an engaged mother, whether she's got $$s or not.
Old 08-29-2012, 11:29 AM   #34
HOT DAMN!
♪ ♪ ♪

Oddometer: 7,633
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisenhallw View Post
you need a blow job
I couldn't agree more!

P.S. - I could give 2 fucks about video.
Old 08-29-2012, 11:33 AM   #35
HOT DAMN!
♪ ♪ ♪

Oddometer: 7,633
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveShaft View Post
I'm in it for shits and giggles.
'nough said.
Old 08-29-2012, 11:35 AM   #36
DriveShaft OP
Beastly Adventurer

Saw one of these yesterday.

I was at the bank doing errands, when I saw one of these go by. I caught up to him on my scoot to get the brand name.

It's a Civia Halsted.

I'm not a fan of 20" wheels, mostly because of the rougher going over bumps. That's part of the appeal of the longtails for me. 26" wheels strike a decent balance.
Old 08-29-2012, 11:51 AM   #37
mud
I just wander.....

Oddometer: 1,627
Quote:
Those guys in that video are based in Marin County CA, a mecca for smug yuppies! I found the struggling mom scenario in the beginning pretty funny because if you can afford to live in Marin County you're pretty doG damned wealthy, a real struggling mom wouldn't be able to afford the $100+ bike shoes and the $1000+ bicycle in addition to her Volvo either (I'm sure there's a couple Dura Ace Carbon bikes hiding in that garage somewhere too).
I don't get where you get the "struggling mom" bit?
I read it as struggling to responsibly raise children in this fucked up society of ours. Not monetarily struggling.

And her bike is well over $2500.....
mud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 12:06 PM   #38
DriveShaft OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by seriousracer View Post
http://www.classicrendezvous.com/USA..._shop_tour.htm

this guy is around the corner from me. he builds some cargo bikes.
Christ, that guy looks like the kind of hands-on old school engineer my dad would hang with. I'd love to spend some time learning from him.
Old 08-29-2012, 12:28 PM   #39
Dukeryder

Oddometer: 7,316
Quote:
Originally Posted by mud View Post
I don't get where you get the "struggling mom" bit?
The whole "life is tricky" and "compromise" bit in the beginning and the whole "Fucking Dems asking for money" bit sets the tone for "Struggling". You're interpretation might be different since you're "In the Know" but this video is targeted at people who aren't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambo Dave View Post
In the 1970's and early 1980's they were the rage here in Florida - especially in places with retirees. Eventually it was said that the manufacturer went out of business.

I've since seen one (very clean / fixed up) - maybe two total - in the 9 years I've lived down here.
Worksman is still in business, and still MADE IN USA! We had 100s of INBs in the factory I used to work in. They're tough as nails and cheap. The 3 wheeled front loaders were scary around corners if you had any speed.

I rode one of these goofy Bakfiet Cargo bikes around Ft. Collins last weekend, and they're better in the real world than the Worksman bikes because you have gears! The worksman bikes are great in a factory, a worksite a military camp etc. But in Town having a geared hub makes life a lot easier. I got it so the dog could ride along with us to the breweries

Dukeryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 12:49 PM   #40
El Guero
V4 Whore

Oddometer: 9,725

El Guero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 02:42 PM   #41
Aghartha
Awesome

Oddometer: 340
I've owned a Surly Big Dummy, a Kona Ute, and an Xtracycle kit attached to a couple of different bikes. I've ridden plenty on a friend's Bakfiets and a home-made front loader similar to the Cetma. If I had to do it again, and I likely will when I move out of my ancient and tiny 3rd floor apartment, it's another Big Dummy for me. It felt the best to me when loaded AND unloaded, and everything fit me well out of the box, even the saddle which was surprising.

I really liked the Ute and wanted to love it more as it was slightly shorter and lighter and better spec'd than my first gen BD, but it just wasn't the same. It never felt as stout when loaded down, and slightly twitchy when unloaded, where the BD felt like a solid cruiser at all times.

Having seen the light though I doubt I'd ever go back to an Xtra conversion. Too flexy. I didn't care for the front loaders very much, but the Bakfiets was pretty stable when I got used to it.

Trailers are great, but if you've got the funds, space, and want for a dedicated cargo bike, do it!
Aghartha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 05:23 PM   #42
Hayduke
///SAFETY THIRD///

Oddometer: 43,375
Quote:

Worksman is still in business, and still MADE IN USA! We had 100s of INBs in the factory I used to work in. They're tough as nails and cheap. The 3 wheeled front loaders were scary around corners if you had any speed.
Mine is scary and unstable as hell at any speed... so I added a three speed hub so it would go faster. The real use for it is big heavy boxes of tee shirts; it has a carrying capacity of 400 lbs in the basket.

Mine is from Mexico, but these guys have the same things:

http://www.huskybicycles.com/index2.html

Hayduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 06:35 PM   #43
MrBob
Jambo!

Oddometer: 7,149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayduke View Post

Put a little bench seat on the front of that bad boy and you got your next career - bicycle tours of Salida.
Old 08-30-2012, 03:56 AM   #44
DriveShaft OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aghartha View Post
I've owned a Surly Big Dummy, a Kona Ute, and an Xtracycle kit attached to a couple of different bikes. I've ridden plenty on a friend's Bakfiets and a home-made front loader similar to the Cetma. If I had to do it again, and I likely will when I move out of my ancient and tiny 3rd floor apartment, it's another Big Dummy for me. It felt the best to me when loaded AND unloaded, and everything fit me well out of the box, even the saddle which was surprising.

I really liked the Ute and wanted to love it more as it was slightly shorter and lighter and better spec'd than my first gen BD, but it just wasn't the same. It never felt as stout when loaded down, and slightly twitchy when unloaded, where the BD felt like a solid cruiser at all times.

Having seen the light though I doubt I'd ever go back to an Xtra conversion. Too flexy. I didn't care for the front loaders very much, but the Bakfiets was pretty stable when I got used to it.

Trailers are great, but if you've got the funds, space, and want for a dedicated cargo bike, do it!

Thanks for sharing, that's some rare perspective, and it answers the frame flex question that I knew would be hard to compare around here, because nobody stocks this stuff.
Old 08-30-2012, 04:46 AM   #45
DriveShaft OP
Beastly Adventurer

Nixing the e-bike option

So, going for a motor hub & eletrification kit is off the table for me. Doesn't appear to pass my durability /convenience tests. Whether it wears down or gets stolen, it strikes me as a an eventual hassle, and the battery is more maintenance than I'm interested in devoting to my bike. That 'lectric hub & controller was probably Trek Transport's primary appeal.

I think it's gonna be a big dummy build for me. Seems like all the input has been pretty positive on that.

And that internal gear hub stuff is damn attractive!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: