User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-27-2012, 02:10 PM   #1
WhicheverAnyWayCan OP
Deaf Biker

Oddometer: 833
POI file question, AdvRider OpenSource POI?

I have found few custom POI files in .csv file and I uploaded it to my 60csx using Garmin Loader for Mac and it show up in my 60csx under "Custom POI". When I tried to upload 2nd file, it overwrite the first file I uploaded so am I missing something? I was hoping it would not overwrite but to add more POI rather than to overwrite?

ADVRider OpenSource POI: Is there a POI file that is shared among ADVRider based on recommend lodging (motel/hotel), motorcycle business, camping sites, cargo, etc? Wouldn't it be nice if we can category these places based on country such as N.America, C.America, S.America? That way rider can just upload the info into GPS then hit the road without having to plan ahead or look up phone book or such?
WhicheverAnyWayCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 04:11 AM   #2
9Dave
Bazinga!

Oddometer: 12,861
If you are asking if there are "official" ADV recommendations, the answer is "no". ADV is a non-commercial site and does not normally recommend any particular provider of services - except for SmugMug for photo hosting/sharing, of course.

Individual users have posted files of their favorites places, motorcycle dealerships, etc. Anyone is welcome to do that on whatever geographic scale they would like, so long as it complies with the site rules.

Dave
ADV Mod

dunno.....
9Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 07:06 AM   #3
WoodButcher
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,041
As far as multiple POI files, there can only be one on the unit. On the pc where you are loading from you need to have all the files you want to load in a directory. If you want to get fancy, you can create subdirectories with other files. Each subdirectory becomes a category in your POI list.

Then run the POI loader and point it to the main directory with POI files. It will create the one big poi file and install it on the gps.

2009 BMW R1200GS Adventure
1999 DR650
WoodButcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 10:23 PM   #4
1200gsceej
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,249
Question multiple POI files (.gpi) loaded on SD card?

POI files have a specific 'extension', .gpi, yes? Can't you have multiple gpi files on your SD card, and will the GPS (Zumo 660 in my case) find them and load them all?
I'm just starting on this journey myself, so want to know what I can do and cannot.
-ceej

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodButcher View Post
As far as multiple POI files, there can only be one on the unit. On the pc where you are loading from you need to have all the files you want to load in a directory. If you want to get fancy, you can create subdirectories with other files. Each subdirectory becomes a category in your POI list.

Then run the POI loader and point it to the main directory with POI files. It will create the one big poi file and install it on the gps.
And remember: Beauty is in the behind of the holder.
1200gsceej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 10:07 AM   #5
Bill Murray
Adventurer

Oddometer: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200gsceej View Post
POI files have a specific 'extension', .gpi, yes? Can't you have multiple gpi files on your SD card, and will the GPS (Zumo 660 in my case) find them and load them all?
I'm just starting on this journey myself, so want to know what I can do and cannot.
-ceej
Yes, Garmin POI files use a .gpi file extension. Yes, you can store and use multiple .gpi files on your SD card. And yes, your GPS can find any of those .gpi files. Here is a screenshot of some of my saved POI files.

Bill Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 10:33 PM   #6
1200gsceej
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,249
Thanks, Bill.
I presume that you create them on your computer, then move them to the POI folder on your SD card as you want them.
Each file becomes its own category, yes?

I passed through Wilmington last June '12 (rented car, not my bike ) when I was out there visiting my cousins. My family is from the Greensboro/High Point area and I enjoy it when I can get back there.
-ceej

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Murray View Post
Yes, Garmin POI files use a .gpi file extension. Yes, you can store and use multiple .gpi files on your SD card. And yes, your GPS can find any of those .gpi files. Here is a screenshot of some of my saved POI files.
And remember: Beauty is in the behind of the holder.
1200gsceej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 06:16 AM   #7
Cataract2
Where to?

Oddometer: 1,575
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Murray View Post

Bill, did you create many of those POIs or is there a site you can go to to get them?
Old 07-05-2013, 08:27 AM   #8
USAIR
picking and riding

Oddometer: 1,451
Here's a great site for POI's.

POI Factory

Fred
Wallpaper for Montana GPSr
Beware of the Wallnut
USAIR is offline   Reply With Quote