User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-07-2012, 07:11 PM   #1
Oh2RideMore OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,264
2 women one guy,cross country on a small bike

Well it was time to break in the versys, and Christy had a ride in mind. Out to white sands and back via old highways, and scenic routes. We would stop and see kitschy sites along the way, and take Christy's mom on one last ride. White sands 40 years ago.

And on this ride.
From Melanie Memorial Ride

Oh2RideMore screwed with this post 08-07-2012 at 07:44 PM Reason: wrong word
Oh2RideMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 08:06 PM   #2
Oh2RideMore OP
Beastly Adventurer

Day one

Had a hard time getting the bike and bags ready the morning of day one. Got to Christy's and quickly added her items to the bike. She was already ready to go, and willing to ride. Obligitory pic of her in the blue whale OK

Old 08-07-2012, 08:11 PM   #3
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,666
Shall I assume that is Christies Mom in the box ?
Old 08-07-2012, 08:13 PM   #4
Oh2RideMore OP
Beastly Adventurer

Day one out on the road

Decided not to follow route 66 explicitly from st chuck, and did 94 down to 44 via side roads. Did the st clair version of 66 to devils elbow for pics.

Old 08-07-2012, 08:18 PM   #5
Oh2RideMore OP
Beastly Adventurer

Yes of course

Quote:
Originally Posted by acejones View Post
Shall I assume that is Christies Mom in the box ?
Not quite the standard ride report, we were taking Melanie's ashes where she wanted to be. Melanie was a great person, slightly hippie, and enjoyed riding cross country on a honda/suzuki/whatever it was. Her last wish was to be spread at white sands national monument, and we obliged.

Oh2RideMore screwed with this post 08-08-2012 at 08:01 PM Reason: seemed slightly crude, I blame the beer and wine. :)
Oh2RideMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 11:44 PM   #6
Wolfgang55
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,287
neat
Wolfgang55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 12:03 AM   #7
GSF1200S
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 975
That sucks.. I think I might take my dad with me on my trip coming up. Good her last ride is with people who care enough to take her to her desired final destination. All the best..
GSF1200S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 04:26 AM   #8
MizzouRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,704
Glad you are doing the RR..

Going to be following along.
IBA#32778 2008 R1200GSA 2007 G650XChallenge
No man is as good as he ought to be, and few men are as bad as they seem.. (from a early 1900s post card found in Perry, Missouri..)
MizzouRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 06:35 AM   #9
rcskier
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
I like the idea for your ride!. What tire is that on your Versys? I own a red one and am looking for something just a tad more aggressive for dirt roads etc.
rcskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 06:59 AM   #10
achesley
Old Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 3,343
Great idea, my Bro in Law ( married to my wife's sis ) just carried from La. and spread his brother's ashes at Sturgis, SD a couple days ago. His last wish while alive.

A '00 KLR 650 37,000 miles, A '07 1250S 75,000 actual, A '03 5.3L Chevy Truck 73,000 + '43 style dude , Simper Fi ;-)
achesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 07:55 AM   #11
Oh2RideMore OP
Beastly Adventurer

Tires, Bike, etc

The bike is a 2009 versys, I had bought last year. Tires are a pirelli mt60 corsa front and an anakee 2 rear. The tire combo has been suggested on the versys thread, and as I already had an anakee sitting in basement, was my choice. The tires are a good combo for street and gravel, and the wet traction of the anakee made the unpredictable mountain weather tolerable. Tire life on the mt60 is surprising, as I front brake mostly, usually cupping the front. I would say over 60% of the tread remains with no cupping, all with 3300 miles on an overloaded bike. Very good tread life for a front tire. Rear anakee is about 50%, as is to be expected. Usually get about 5K out of rear anakees, but the wet traction is excellent, and large voids make gravel road riding fun. MizzouRider, will post more pics tonight when I get home. So many pics, but want to get this ride report done before I forget all the details.
Old 08-08-2012, 05:45 PM   #12
Oh2RideMore OP
Beastly Adventurer

Day one continued

Alot of route 66 felt disused, as traffic has moved to the interstates. Luckily a few enterprising individuals are restoring landmarks along the way. Right outside cuba we passed the wagon wheel motel, a set of stone cottages from a bygone era. http://www.wagonwheel66cuba.com/inde...d=11&Itemid=11
We had decided to incorporate geocaching into this ride, as a way to get a break from the saddle, and bring some fun into a long ride. We stopped in Rolla for lunch and headed over to the Fort Leonard wood fire tower for a large cache. Parked at the entrance and hiked to the cache.
Found it and continued on through some of the most desolate stretches of rt 66. We had planned on stopping in Springfield for the oldest Steak and shake, but the route was not planned well, and we somehow missed it. Had our first run in with a cell phone driver not paying attention, and we decided to get out of town. City traffic is not that much fun, so on we rode, missing our orange freeze. :(

Christy continued taking pics while I focused on trying to follow the signs of old route 66. I did not use my gps with any tracks of 66, so it was just a follow the signs kind of ride. Missouri was quite hot that Saturday, already in the upper 90s when we left STL, it was full on hot by the time Devils elbow came around. I bought a couple of evaporative vests before this trip, and we used them every day in Missouri, Oklahoma, Texas, and New mexico.

We stopped in another small town for another geocache, and noticed a tank parked nearby. Got the cache and walked over for some pics.
There were signs on it that stated "stay off tank". Why would you place a tank in a park and ask people to stay off. If I was a kid, I would be all over it. How do you destroy a tank? That thing is solid steel.

Passed another old landmark hotel, the Munger Moss.

Found a super old portion of route 66, the two lane concrete, still in decent shape. Old bridge here

Old restored gas station

Outside of carthage, they are replacing the newer 66 bridge, and rerouting traffic over the much older route 66 bridge, a 9 ton weight limit, ornate concrete thing. Really falling apart, and signs warning huge fines to trucks that ignore the warnings. Crossed the bridges into Carthage, and right into the Boots motel.
Recently restored, this motel has been an icon in carthage for many years. Bunny, the proprietor, has been "restoring" room by room to the 40s decor including no modern amenities. A/C, 2 beds, a radio, and thats it. Very cool.
Checked in, had a nice convesation with a route 66 expert, and headed out to dinner up the street.

After dinner we planned to see one of the few remaining drive ins. Here is the route 66 drive in.

We paid, rode around back to an open spot, and grabbed the free rental chairs from the concession stand. Unfortunately, the cars and trucks blocked our view, so after Ice Age was over, we moved to an open area near the concession stand. With an unobstructed view, we watched Spiderman over fm radio, and Christy promptly fell asleep, several times. :) Movies were not that great, but the experience was nice. We got up, and rode out through traffic back to the motel. Little did we know that chiggers had attacked us at the drive in, and would make us very itchy the next couple of days.
Old 08-08-2012, 07:22 PM   #13
Reverend12
Well there it is..

Oddometer: 1,410
Subcribed! Great report!
Reverend12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 07:54 PM   #14
Oh2RideMore OP
Beastly Adventurer

Day 2 Carthage to Elk City Oklahoma

Woke up late, got ready, and met up with the owner for a breakfast 2 doors down at the local diner. Had a breakfast skillet and lots of coffee. Stayed too long taking routes, and route 66 history with Ron. After breakfast walked over to the town square for one of the most ornate city hall buildings you have ever seen.
They offer a tour, but we were late and needed to move on. At the motel, a restored classic awaits:

Walked back to the motel, packed the bike, and headed out of town.
Managed to snap a pic of the gps mileage from day one before leaving. Did this every morning or night.

On the old route 66, there is a wooden bridge over the railroad tracks. The approach and departure angles are crazy steep, and the pavement was scarred with the undercarraige scrapes from cars driving just a bit too quick. The night before, on the ride back from the drive in, I had hit the bridge at 40 mph or so, 10 over. Got a little bit of air, and wanted to do the same again, but decided against it. If you are ever in carthage following rt 66, bring a good jumping bike. :)

Soon we would cross over into kansas for a short bit of road. Found some great old bridges on the way. First the missing bridge:

Then the Rainbow marsh bridge, last of it's kind

And finally the Pryor Creek bridge.

At this point we were in Oklahoma sweltering in our wet vests. Passed many interesting sights.

Old 08-09-2012, 04:50 AM   #15
rufusswan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 962
Really cool report so far

Luckily there is more to see on old 66 than you might think, even though there is lots that have been lost, any way ...

The pics of the old 'concrete' near that old gas station contain the last of the old road where the finished surface was trowelled by hand by folk who were craftsmen.

The Carthage court house is constructed of (you guessed it) Carthage marble. Carthage/Webb City/Joplin is a very old mining community. Many of Missouri's most prestigious buildings are made of the same stone.
rufusswan is offline   Reply With Quote