ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-17-2013, 12:26 PM   #1
FAW3 OP
Old wanderer

Oddometer: 535
Michaux State Forest (PA.) Ride

I want to make an initial easy run up to Michaux State Forest (PA) and since several NOVA area inmates have mentioned checking out Michaux…so here is a date, a plan...come on along…

Date: May 4-5. Rain Date: TBD

Saturday, May 4th, we can meet and start from the initial meet point in Leesburg:

Meet Up: Chick-fil-A; 1002 Edwards Ferry Rd NE/Rt773, Leesburg, VA. This is right off Rt15 at BattlefieldShopping Center. Depart at 0900.

Departing Leesburg proceed North on Rt 15 to:

Potential “quick stop” at Fredrick, MD (to be used as needed – for any MD and DC riders. If you want the Leesburg folks to stop here…post your “IN” and say you’ll link up at Fredrick). Location: Sheetz; 1600 Rosemont Ave, Frederick, MD, at RT15 - Exit 14 Rosemont Ave, take ramp at end of exit ramp go right to Sheetz on left 500m. Depart at 0945.

Continuing on to Thurmont, MD, then using Rt.550 to the South end of the MSF, entering at Rattlesnake Run Road. Ride the roads/trails open to MC’s starting at the south end and mosey north for the main part of the day. Rather than hunting for lunch, I think “bring your own” as far as a snack/field lunch/water.

In the late afternoon exit the MSF and head to Artillery Ridge Campground at Gettysburg (about 17 miles) via Rt30/Lincoln Highway. Grab tent or cabin(s) as desired, and hit the town as hard and fast as General Lee did for a good dinner and amusements. Campground FYI: http://www.artilleryridge.com/index.htm

I’ll note that there is camping at/in MSF for the primitive folks who wish to skip G/Burg.

Sunday AM folks can decide individually what to do and when to do it… return and play the gravel at MSF, tour the Battlefield, check out the town of Gettysburg, or just run for home…

FYI links:

ADV thread discussion and photos of Michaux: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=632871

Michaux Map: http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/forestry/stateforests/michaux/maps/index.htm

PA. DNR Site: http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/forestry/stateforests/michaux/

FAW3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 04:25 PM   #2
JaxObsessed
RushMoran....... :D

Oddometer: 12,660
Y'all are 10 miles closer to Michaux than me

Enjoy.
JaxObsessed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 05:18 PM   #3
XDragRacer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,974
IN!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(Pending kitchen pass, of course!)

Good for my share of cabin rental.
XDragRacer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 08:09 PM   #4
SoPaRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 282
Talking

Hi Jax!, FAW3 and anyone else interested in all things concerning Michaux State Forest:

We live six miles from Michaux S.F., this is my 40th year riding there, if we can be of service in any way let us know! Check out Cannonshot's Tent Space Sign-Up Thread/Page 45/Post #668 under Riding/Trip Planning for info on our "Motorcyclist Manor", our half acre of suburbia, it's not the deep woods, but the price is right; IT'S FREE!

"The Rides Never Long Enough!"

Jeff (SoPaRider) & Karen (SoPaGuider)

Trans PA Trailers Of Michaux (TPATOM's)

'09 DR650SE
'07 DL650AK7 (wee-strom)
'96 DR350/441SET
P.M. me for copies of my 15 Michaux State Forest Dual Sport Routes; check the Trip Planning/Tent Space Sign-Up Thread/Page 33/Post #492/8-2011 for info on our "Motorcyclist Manor"; IT'S FREE!.
48 states, D.C., 5 provinces and Bermuda down; the rest of the world to go!

SoPaRider screwed with this post 04-18-2013 at 10:46 AM
SoPaRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 03:50 AM   #5
Dorito
Dreamer and Doer

Oddometer: 5,100
Sounds like a hoot!

Nothing (ad)ventured, Nothing Gained
Everything you want is on the other side of fear.
Dorito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 06:02 AM   #6
AB13
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 873
Wild Injuns?????

Last time I was there.....20yrs.....ago or so I remember seeing a Totem Pole, a large pink elephant and a round barn !!!!!!!
Old 04-18-2013, 10:07 AM   #7
OnOff
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,622
Michaux...

Pretty place! Love the ride where they open up trails...
http://imageevent.com/peteh/michauxd...ventaug9th2009

http://imageevent.com/peteh/michauxd...otorcycleevent

Old 04-29-2013, 10:05 AM   #8
FAW3 OP
Old wanderer

FYI...weather for this weekend (as of Monday 4/29):
Gettysburg, PA 17325

Sat

70°
Mostly Sunny

Sun

69°
Mostly Cloudy

Old 04-29-2013, 10:54 AM   #9
VACommuter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,630
Was just up in G-burg this weekend. They are ramping up for this summer to commemorate the 150th anniversary of the War of Northern Agression.

You guys be safe and have fun!

VAC
2003 KLR 685 "Street Ugly"
2007 KLR 719 "Muscles from Brussels"
VACommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 11:23 AM   #10
Sidecar Jockey
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 538
Is this ride still on for May 4-5?

For anyone cming from the south, this is a GREAT way to get to Michaux. Its is very scenic and has some nice dirt bits:
https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=H...1,2,3&t=m&z=14

Or, here is a very scenic route from the Sheetz Station on Rosemont that you mentioned, pretty much the same, but it goes from the Sheetz:
https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=R...1,2,3&t=m&z=12

(I'm not trying to thread hijack or change your ride route... just sharing some info since im a local)

Anyway, whats the paln, I want in?! I havent seen anyone post that they ae IN... so I'm just wondering if this ride is still on?

Sidecar Jockey screwed with this post 05-03-2013 at 12:00 PM
Sidecar Jockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 12:22 PM   #11
FAW3 OP
Old wanderer

MSF update

Yes, the ride is on and the weather looks great!

I have heard too much good stuff about this area...I want to explore it now before I make more extensive riding plans for Summer. The focus for me is just an initial exploration/orientation to MSF...sticking to the gravel forest roads and any maintained trails open to MC's...not trying to make the KLR into a billygoat or an an oil stain on a big rock. All in all...a fairly easy ride for anyone...and if it stays dry as forcasted...most DS bikes/V-Strom would be capable even with moderate street tires.

We have 2 KLR'ers for sure, and one more on the fence still sort of thinking about it...starting from the Cracker Barrel restaurant located at RT234 near Rt66 at 08:30...then we shoot up Rt15.

No "IN" posters at this time to pick up at Leesburg or Fredrick...if anyone wants to join up...great...please let us know so we don't pass you by.

Two more riders will be joining us at the MSF south end on Rattlesnake Road at Menzer Gap Road (they live near MSF) around 10:30'ish. If anyone wants to meet at MSF...this would be the best spot as we already have folks doing that. Meetings like this can be affected by a range of factors. If you wish to meet at MSF...I suggest a PM to exchange cell phone numbers - in case of delays/or issues arise. Otherwise...post IN and we will do the Leesburg and/or Fredrick stops as needed.

As to your route...that looks great...might try it on the way back to vary the scene! On the way up...I just want to haul it direct/quick.

Frank

Old 05-04-2013, 08:11 AM   #12
SoPaRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Frank:

Modern medicine has saved the day for me yet again, seems I'm cured of whatever it was I had. I'll be working around the house today (Saturday), but I'm planning on heading to Michaux early Sunday morning, if you or any of your riding crew are up for another day of riding in and or around Michaux on Sunday contact me (Frank has my contact info), otherwise PM me here.

Have a great day in Michaux,

Jeff (SoPaRider)

'96 DR350/441SET (It's mostly white with a purple frame, you can't miss it!)
P.M. me for copies of my 15 Michaux State Forest Dual Sport Routes; check the Trip Planning/Tent Space Sign-Up Thread/Page 33/Post #492/8-2011 for info on our "Motorcyclist Manor"; IT'S FREE!.
Old 05-04-2013, 08:43 AM   #13
WayneJ
LFC/CCCCC

Oddometer: 5,500
SoPaRider.
20% Smug Mug Credit
WayneJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 06:11 PM   #14
SoPaRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks for posting the picture Wayne, that was one of my all time favorite rides!

Jeff (SoPaRider)
Old 05-05-2013, 12:16 PM   #15
FAW3 OP
Old wanderer

We (FAW3 & XDragRacer) had a nice ride up and explored the Michaux/Gettysburg area as planned.

Mike (an newer ADV'er) and his son met us and the 4 of us had a great tour of MSF...a similar gravel forest road experience as in Shenandoah/GWNF - but with more interior cut offs and route choices. All roads open to MC's would be fine for semi-adventure bikes...this is easy/light moderate riding. Heading North past/at Thurmont there are several roadways coming off RT15 that offer great pavement riding...hills, curves and great views on the way to/from MSF.

In brief I would say that the attraction to the general MSF area are the great forest roads, great camping (in MSF and several parks nearby), as well as having G/Burg is so nearby with it's sights/restaurants/hotels/battlefield/campgrounds.

Good food mention: Lincoln Diner in G/burg & Leesburg Restaurant (center of old town on 15B). No campstoves for us!

Jim was the photo guy this run and I'll let him post up his photos and any interesting tales from his perspective!

Thanks for the company Jim & thanks to Mike and Ryan for our tour of MSF!

SoPaRider, sorry we could'nt meet up for Sunday...thanks for the information you provided!!! We will be back!