Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-30-2012, 09:47 AM   #16
JSharp
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 260
This should be a great bike but I don't know how many they'll sell in the US. The people who believe I4's have no soul won't want one but the slightly retuned engine should be great in this application. Same for the chassis and body changes from the Z1000/N1K.

This will be a great 2 up touring bike for all sorts of roads as long as you're not looking for a 700lb+ barge.
Old 08-30-2012, 01:49 PM   #17
LoneTraveler
Captain Zoomtastic

Oddometer: 450
Provided that this is not afflicted with the same farty buzzing sound that the 650 seems to be notorious for, I'd certainly be interested in one as well.

Now if only Honda would get their sh!t together and bring that damned Cross-Tourer over, we could have some real choice in this market segment!
LoneTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 02:07 PM   #18
mrbreeze
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,061
I have only owned one Kawasaki, a 1999 C10 - and everyone knows about them "a lot of bike for the money" - damned with faint praise. Some folks saw them as low quality bikes built to a price point - but there were lots of like me who absolutely LOVED the C10. Mine gave me 100,000 mostly trouble free miles. It also led to my involvement in the Concours Owners Group, which may very well be the BEST owners group there is. Also don't forget that Mama K is just a small part of Kawasaki Heavy Industries. No doubt they have the resources and the engineering prowess to build ANYTHING

Travels with Maw Maw
mrbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 04:42 PM   #19
mike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,104
needs shaft drive..
Old 08-30-2012, 05:04 PM   #20
danketchpel
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,001
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike View Post
needs shaft drive..
I think that would make it enormously more attractive, sure would for me.

If you added shaft drive to that package then it really starts to look very attractive assuming it's not a pig. But in the early ride reports I read from the UK it sounded like it wasn't too porky. I'm glad they chose to keep it at 1,000cc and not bump it up to 1,200. A liter 4 cyl should have all the go anybody needs.

Hopefully they got all the buzz ironed out as that is my biggest beef with inline 4s. My KZ650 would make my thumbs go numb in about 45 minutes. I've opted for lower pitch vibrations ever since.
09 Kawi KLR650 - for sale
00 Suzi DRZ400-S
danketchpel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 05:13 PM   #21
666 Bandit
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
Just what we need. A more powerful version of one of the ugliest bikes ever made.
666 Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 05:25 PM   #22
mike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,104
Quote:
Originally Posted by danketchpel View Post

Hopefully they got all the buzz ironed out as that is my biggest beef with inline 4s. My KZ650 would make my thumbs go numb in about 45 minutes. I've opted for lower pitch vibrations ever since.

All my inline 4's were smooth motors. 3 Honda's from the '80s and two Zrx's. I did have an '83 GS1100E that would buzz like a beehive. Thats the only one.

mike screwed with this post 08-30-2012 at 07:31 PM
mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 06:23 PM   #23
pachap
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 676
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSharp View Post
This should be a great bike but I don't know how many they'll sell in the US. The people who believe I4's have no soul won't want one but the slightly retuned engine should be great in this application. Same for the chassis and body changes from the Z1000/N1K.

This will be a great 2 up touring bike for all sorts of roads as long as you're not looking for a 700lb+ barge.
In all honesty I don't think they will sell too many, and it's a shame. I get the feeling that many who would be interested in this bike would also be in the market for Ninja or Z1000. I don't think too many people would pick the V over either of those two.
Old 08-30-2012, 06:28 PM   #24
BalancePoint
Mucker

Oddometer: 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by 666 Bandit View Post
Just what we need. A more powerful version of one of the ugliest bikes ever made.
Hah! BMW has done quite well following this advice over the years.
BalancePoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 07:05 PM   #25
danketchpel
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,001
Quote:
Originally Posted by pachap View Post
In all honesty I don't think they will sell too many, and it's a shame. I get the feeling that many who would be interested in this bike would also be in the market for Ninja or Z1000. I don't think too many people would pick the V over either of those two.
The riding position should be significantly different which I believe will be a big selling feature for many, at least those over 30. It would be for me, I'm tired of the racer crouch.
09 Kawi KLR650 - for sale
00 Suzi DRZ400-S
danketchpel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 07:07 PM   #26
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer

Oddometer: 26,794
Quote:
Originally Posted by danketchpel View Post
The riding position should be significantly different which I believe will be a big selling feature for many, at least those over 30. It would be for me, I'm tired of the racer crouch.
Ninja 1000 is surprising neutral, much like the Ninja 650.

Big bonus for me would be the extra passenger space and longer travel, slightly softer suspension. Something tells me we're a long ways from consistently repaired pavement up here north of the frost line.
Grainbelt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 08:44 PM   #27
JSharp
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by pachap View Post
I would probably be part of the target market and what you say is right. I'm not sure it has enough things that are enough better than my Ninja to have made me choose it if it was available then. If I rode 2 up more or on worse roads maybe. But since I don't I'd probably still have ended up with what I have.
Old 08-30-2012, 09:03 PM   #28
LoneTraveler
Captain Zoomtastic

Oddometer: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbreeze View Post
I have only owned one Kawasaki, a 1999 C10 - and everyone knows about them "a lot of bike for the money" - damned with faint praise. Some folks saw them as low quality bikes built to a price point - but there were lots of like me who absolutely LOVED the C10. Mine gave me 100,000 mostly trouble free miles. It also led to my involvement in the Concours Owners Group, which may very well be the BEST owners group there is. Also don't forget that Mama K is just a small part of Kawasaki Heavy Industries. No doubt they have the resources and the engineering prowess to build ANYTHING
I've got a 2000 C10, and I'm also in COG. BEST. GROUP. EVER!

Just about to hit 75k on the old girl, and loving every mile.
LoneTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 07:39 AM   #29
Worroll
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 760
For a sales comparison- The triumph Sprint GT and Tiger 1050 both have the same engine, and could be compared well to the Ninja 1000 and Versys 1000. I've heard a few people go to the dealer for the Sprint GT, and ride out on the Tiger. I think a key point is the pricing. The ninja 1000 is known for great value, as I'm sure the Versys will be also. I think it's a great addition to their line-up, and the price point will be good for people who can't afford (or justify) the higher-end 'adventure' bikes.
Worroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 07:44 AM   #30
jfurf
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 942
Quote:
Originally Posted by 666 Bandit View Post
These big Adventurer Tourer bikes are mostly popular with grown up nerds, not Billy Badasses! These are buyers who value anti-style. Look at BMW's models. Look how they all dress up in head to toe Hi-Viz gear and attach 20 sets of aftermarket running lights to the front.

I actually think the worst thing you can do is make your adventure bike too smooth looking.
jfurf is offline   Reply With Quote