User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-29-2012, 10:38 PM   #1
crazyray OP
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Reflex Kmod vs. Dr. Pulley

Has anyone here had any experience comparing the performance characteristics between the Kmod and Dr. Pulley sliders? I'm sure the Dr. P will out perform the stock configuration. I am curious if the extra cost would be worth it when compared to the Kmod. If so, what is the perferred weight for around town driving (250cc). Thanks.

Ray
crazyray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 12:09 AM   #2
kyhillbilly
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 130
I thought about trying the kmod on my morphous. Not sure it would work the same.
kyhillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 06:54 AM   #3
Bronco638
Nobody Home

Oddometer: 3,638
I did the K-Mod on my Reflex but have no experience with Dr. Pulley. The main attraction is the cost of the K-Mod (< $10 - you have to fab a tool to help remove the variator). I really like the way the scoot responds compared to stock.

Andy holds the lead. And he will, all the way to the Highway. Today is his day.
Bronco638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 07:44 AM   #4
The PacRat
I'm that other guy

Oddometer: 2,566
Try the K-Mod first - it really wakes the bike up. It's almost free and easily reversible.
Old 08-30-2012, 08:10 AM   #5
HisMajesty400
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Alternative

Hi,

My wife has a Reflex. There is a third alternative for you... swap out part of the variator, plus Dr. Pulley Sliders. My wife and I were considering taking 2,000 mile plus trip, and I was concerned about the engine rpm at Freeway speeds.

First of all, for the Reflex... why it is doggy. It is my understanding that the Reflex was designed that way by the factory to reduced engine noise emissions for another market (not the US). It has 2 sets of rollers... 2 different kinds of ramps in the variator. The 2 different kinds of rollers have 2 different weights. The results of all of this is essentially shifting in high gear at around 30 mph or something.

There are disadvantages to Honda's design ... it accelerates slower, and I personally believe it allows the engine to spin faster at highway speeds (I suspect the belt is unable to travel all the way up the pulleys, essentially resulting in going down the road in a lower gear.

What I learned about, and ended up doing, is replacing the ramp side of the variator with a Big Ruckus' "B" face, and Dr. Pulley Sliders. The results were faster acceleration plus the Freeway rpms dropped around 1,000 rpm. I was pleased, pleased, pleased!

I haven't tried the K Mod; however, I suspect that the K Mod is faster, and it is free, and reversible. The Big Ruckus part, and the Sliders would cost around $100. The Big Ruckus mod is reversible too; just put the old parts back in.

Sorry, off hand I do not had the Dr. Pulley Slider weights. I believe the guy that gave me this idea is also a member on the ADV website, so he may stop in to chat, and give you that info.
HisMajesty400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 08:23 AM   #6
HisMajesty400
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyhillbilly View Post
I thought about trying the kmod on my morphous. Not sure it would work the same.
I think what you would end up doing isn't exactly the K Mod. That would be Honda Reflex specific. However, what you are referring to would be taking out your rollers and putting in lighter ones, or putting Dr. Pulley Sliders in. The lighter rollers allows you, for example, to take off at 7,000 rpm instead of 6,000 rpm. The more engine hp at 7,000 rpm allows your scoot to accelerate faster.

Dr. Pulley Sliders are a great advantage. Their design allows you to use a lighter weight than stock, but still retain the original cruising speed. Because of the unique design, you have to experiment to get the weight you are happy with. You could find a Morphous forum and find out which weight they have discovered works best.

This is a fairly common mod that people do.
HisMajesty400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 08:31 AM   #7
kyhillbilly
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by HisMajesty400 View Post
I think what you would end up doing isn't exactly the K Mod. That would be Honda Reflex specific. However, what you are referring to would be taking out your rollers and putting in lighter ones, or putting Dr. Pulley Sliders in. The lighter rollers allows you, for example, to take off at 7,000 rpm instead of 6,000 rpm. The more engine hp at 7,000 rpm allows your scoot to accelerate faster.

Dr. Pulley Sliders are a great advantage. Their design allows you to use a lighter weight than stock, but still retain the original cruising speed. Because of the unique design, you have to experiment to get the weight you are happy with. You could find a Morphous forum and find out which weight they have discovered works best.

This is a fairly common mod that people do.
Thanks for the info!
kyhillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 07:44 PM   #8
crazyray OP
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Oh yeah I've been running the K mod for about 2500 mi or so. For an easy free mod it works great. But as things wear out or need serviced, I like to have an idea of what I would like to go to next. I've heard the BR variator works well in the Reflex. I might give that a try in the near future. What weight sliders with the BR variator?
crazyray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 04:04 AM   #9
scooterryder
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Reflex Kmod vs Dr. Pulley

What I learned about, and ended up doing, is replacing the ramp side of the variator with a Big Ruckus' "B" face, and Dr. Pulley Sliders. The results were faster acceleration plus the Freeway rpms dropped around 1,000 rpm. I was pleased, pleased, pleased!

Good information. My question is, where did you get the sliders and what weight did you choose?
scooterryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 06:53 PM   #10
bikeridermark
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,147
I've got the Big Ruckus face b and 19gram dr. pulley sliders in both my Reflexes. I think it is a great compromise between stock and the k-mod.
I tried the k-mod first, way too many rpms for my riding style. I commute about seventy miles many days, two-thirds back roads.
I tried 21 gram sliders first, but like the acceleration with 19grams better. the highway rpms are nearly identical with both.
I have a few friends who use the big ruckus face b with six black Honda rollers ( 21 grams ). It works fairly well, but I still get them on take-off.
Dr. Pulley sliders can be found at buggyparts northwest. They charge five dollar flat rate shipping.
I get 70+ mpg when I ride 55-60 mph. slightly lower at 65-70 mph.
By the way, my '03 runs better that my '07 with same setup. Go figure.
bikeridermark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 06:58 PM   #11
bikeridermark
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,147
buggypartsnw.com is the website. I'm going to experiment with some modified sliders when i get time. I'll let you know the results. In the meantime, I'll enjoy my current setup.
Mark
bikeridermark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 08:07 PM   #12
Warney
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 569
Here is a graph showing acceleration curves using different roller weights on a Big Ruckus. The info may be of benefit for Reflex experimenters especially if you change over to the BR drive face B.

http://totalruckus.com/phpBB3/viewto...p?f=28&t=58815
Warney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 02:18 AM   #13
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Oddometer: 6,782
I'm sold on the Dr Pulley stuff since trying it in my scoot.
I think all scooters should come standard with these.

First I went 10% lighter then stock weights on stock CVT and got exactly
what was advertised. Some 1000 revs more at WOT (placing the revs at
exactly the maximum torque point) and 500 less at speeds above 60mph.

It made my scoot go 2 seconds faster to 60mph too (from 11 to 9 sec).

Next I got a Malossi Multivar which made the bike rev at maximum power
revs from zero to top speed, which was also increased a bit, but the engine
was screaming like mad. I went with 15% heavier Dr Pulley sliders in the
Malossi after that, and got about 500 revs less at WOT, and can still do
zero to top speed at same revs.

The malossi works great too.
I can even slide the rear end around now, and my scoot (30hp downtown
300) will beat a stock Tmax 500 from one set of the lights to another.

Dr Pulley + Multivar is expensive tho, and I'm thinking of going back to
just the stock CVT+Pulleys since it worked so well.

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 09:32 PM   #14
scooterryder
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Reflex Kmod vs. Dr. Pulley

I tried the Kmod with 29 gram (stock white rollers plus 3 grams of lead). I did make the scooter faster off the line and reduced the engine speed at 55 mph about 500 rpm less than stock.

I have since installed the Big Rukus movable face and standard Big Rukus rollers. Acceleration from a stop is about the same as the stock Reflex setup, but at 5500 rpm I am cruising at just under an indicated 60 mph.
scooterryder is offline   Reply With Quote